J40 CB and older model CB's

I will try to make this as coherent as possible.  I have recently gotten a really nice set of Bridgestone J40 cb irons - again, in good shape but wrong shafts (TT Black Gold stiff).  I have always liked Bridgestone irons, they really do feel incredible.  I am considering reshafting them vs selling and buying something newer (not sure they would bring in much $$$).  I know there have been a lot of advancements in recent years in club tech (especially for the GI type clubs) but for the blade and CB clubs it seems older clubs are still just fine (I know, they move weighting around, maybe add some titanium here and there, different grinds, etc...but for normal players, like me, I just can't justify the cost of new irons when I really don't think it will change much).  To me the J40's look similar to the very popular Srixon models-not exactly the same but also not a huge difference.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some T100's or MP 20 MMC's but that's just not feasible.  So, after all that rambling, does anyone still play they J40's, or similar older cb type irons?  If so, how are they treating you?  

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only iron better than a j40 is a j40 DPC.   Re-shaft and bag 'em.   Keep them secret.  Keep them safe.

That's funny...I also have a set of J33 combo irons with rifle 5.5 lites, they are so good!

Yes still play them & would be way ahead to make them my full-time gamers. Only downside is lofts are weak by current stds so you hit one more club a lot. Yeah, I know that shouldn't matter but I'm weak, what can I say? Distance loss keeps bringing in my Apex which are a full club longer.

Bottom line,  play what you like!

This week`s Starting Line-Up:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56*, 60* Vokey SM5's
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

Yup! Irons are precision clubs and as long as they go the right distances for you, or are at least close enough that you can bend them to, then you aren't missing anything unless they aren't forgiving enough. These are wonderfully soft forgings with a killer sole grind and a very blade-like appearance at address. I combo them with the Dual Pocket Cavity J40s for a little extra forgiveness and ease of customization (the pocket cavities are great for hiding extra weight in). Easily one of the best values for the money out there. 

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

I played the Adams CMBs this season and absolutely fell in love with them. They came with C-Taper 120s but just reshafted them with Nippon Tour 125s. Played on Saturday and what a difference! So smooth...I just don't see spending the money on the newer irons if you've got something older that you love. Also have a set of CB2s that I shafted with C-Taper 120s ssx2 -- another amazing set. 

9.5* Mizuno ST190 Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6(s)
14.5* Adams Speedline 1200ss Matrix HD-7(s)
18* Adams Tight Lies Tour GD AD DJ-7(s)
3-4 Adams CB2 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 125(s)
5-PW Adams CMB Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 125(s)
53*-10 Mizuno S18 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120(s)
58*-4 Mizuno S18 DG Spinner(s)
33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport (Murdered out finish by Continental Golf)

34" Odyssey Toulon San Diego
[url="https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1817542/nollster-s-witb-for-2020-a-little-newish-and-a-lotta-old"]WITB Link[/url]

The only iron better than a j40 is a j40 DPC.

Re-shaft and bag 'em.

Keep them secret.  Keep them safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ping G30 driver 3h 4h 5h stock stiff shafts

Bridgestone j40 DPC 6-PW x100

Vokey sm5 50/12F 56/10S x100

Taylormade Spider X

I still play them and can’t find anything I like the looks and performance of better. 

PXG 0811X Gen2 10.5* / MRC Tensei Pro Blue 60S
Titleist 915F 16.5* / Rogue Black 80X
Titleist 818 H1 19* / GD Tour AD-DI 105S
Bridgestone J40 CB 3-PW / Modus 120S
Vokey SM7 54*, 60* / Modus 125S
Taylormade Spider X
Bridgestone Tour B X

I played my BStone J15 cb's for 4 years with DG steel shafts and after finally recovering from both elbow tendon tears I went to Graphite iron shafts.
#1. I will never play steel shafts again.
#2. They are awesome in my J15cb's
#3. I don't even look at irons in the stores. Only here to keep up on the tech.
I love my older BStone J15cb's sticks!

I only wish I didnt develop tendonitis in my hand ending my season last week but the weather here in Michigan has gotten real cold!
Hope you have the same success with the re shafting as I have! 

TM M5 8.5* - LA Ozik TPHDE 6X /and/ Fujikura Ventus VeloCore 6X

TM M1 5w, 17.5* - Fujikura Pro TS 83s tipped

TM SIM UDI 3i - Matrix Ozix White Tie X
TM SIM 4, 22* - Fujikura Ventus VeloCore 8X

BStone J15cb 4-pw - Matrix Ozix Program F15 120X

TM MG2 Black Raw Face  - 50,55,60* - Fujikura MCI Solid 125 Custom

09 Odyssey Black Series 1, milled carbon steel covered w/ Nickel-plating w/ tungsten wing flanges
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB
BStone TourB X, TM TP5 & TP5x, Srixon ZStar

Thanks for the replies everyone.  The Bridgestone's are great irons but right now I have a set Nike Vapor Pro Combos with KBS $ taper shafts that are awesome.  I try not to like them so much (because they are Nike-stupid reason) but they feel and preform great.  It still goes to the point of the post though...they are about 6 years old and I'm pretty sure they still preform just as well as todays irons.  

I played the J40 DPC for a while and enjoyed them, but my miss is out on the toe so I got rid of them for some Mizuno HMP's that are a little more forgiving on toe hits.  But if you are a consistent ball-striker that doesn't need help elevating the ball or compensating for any specific miss, they feel great!

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

3 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I played the J40 DPC for a while and enjoyed them, but my miss is out on the toe so I got rid of them for some Mizuno HMP's that are a little more forgiving on toe hits.  But if you are a consistent ball-striker that doesn't need help elevating the ball or compensating for any specific miss, they feel great!

The interesting thing I find about the J40 DPC's is how forgiving they are in those respects. They have a CG that is good for a toe miss (probably not as good in terms of ball speed as the HMB though) and I would disagree about needing to be a super consistent striker. Sure, a hotter faced iron may help some in that area, but the thin topline and low offset of the DPC completely belies the fact that they have a well above average MOI, and a further back AND lower CG than many big game improvement irons. I think that is why they are such a cult classic; pure player's aesthetics and feel but with GI specs. 

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

I played J40 CBs for a while and they were great.  Currently playing Miura CB 57 and they are very good but a week ago I went back to my old trusty 2007? Bridgestone J33 CBs and they are back in the bag...For some reason, I hit them better than the 2015 Miura CB 57 and all the newer forged CBs I have tried (Srixon, Mizuno, Honma, etc.).  I would just reshaft the J40 CBs and get the loft/lie adjusted to your specs......

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 10.5* Driver

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 17* 3 Wood

Honma TW 727 22* UT Hybrid

Titleist 818H1 25* Hybrid

4-PW Bridgestone J33 CB Irons or  Miura CB 57 4-PW

Miura Tour 2018 52* and 58* Wedges

Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

33 minutes ago, theothertwo said:

I played J40 CBs for a while and they were great.  Currently playing Miura CB 57 and they are very good but a week ago I went back to my old trusty 2007? Bridgestone J33 CBs and they are back in the bag...For some reason, I hit them better than the 2015 Miura CB 57 and all the newer forged CBs I have tried (Srixon, Mizuno, Honma, etc.).  I would just reshaft the J40 CBs and get the loft/lie adjusted to your specs......

That's funny...I also have a set of J33 combo irons with rifle 5.5 lites, they are so good!

• Like 1

Probably not missing much, but if you feel you're giving up shots on the course or want to justify a new toy, go for it. Just have to compare for yourself.  I'm one to stick with older clubs that I still like and can do what I want on the course.  The rest is up to me to play well and not suck 🙂

J40 CB is IMO the best looking CB iron there is.  I think Bridgestone's triangular muscle design looks even better than similar classics of Z745 and MP-64.  If I were to switch though to any iron just based on wrx reputation of feel and forgiveness, it's probably still J40 DPC or J15 CB over most current irons.  Since YMMV on lofts, CG placement, and grind, the one overruling factor for me is simply to have something I like to look at.  A lot of older CBs if in good condition can check that box and not break the bank (win-win!): both J40s, Z745, CMB, X Forged 2013, Stenson Legacy Black, 588 CB, MP-....

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4I Mizuno MP-H4 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, DGP S300 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

Had J33cb 5 years ago,rebuilt,regripped,a great set.Moved to MP63 and MP33 sets so i dont chase distance! Bidding on 695cb's today.....plenty of great classic gear out there that will look great with a new set of GPTV's....🙂

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!