Titleist AVX

phizzy30

I used to be a proV1x guy, but ever since trying the AVX, I've made the switch.  I switch them out with the MTB-X due to budgetary concerns at times.  AVX is the most accurate ball off the tee for me which is probably because of the low spin although a little bit shorter than the MTB-X.  They are also a full club longer with irons as well.  Feel is definitely softer which is fine but that's not important to me.  Only gripe I have is that they don't spin as much as I'd like with on approach shots.  I did however shoot my lowest round of the year 2 weeks ago with the AVX.  Anyone else game these?   Thoughts?

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

28 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Only gripe I have is that they don't spin as much as I'd like with on approach shots.  

I have been playing the AVX exclusively for the past 6-8 rounds and like it...ALOT. 

When you say they don't spin as much on approach, can you give us more context? I've been able to stop 7 irons and down within 4' of my ball mark on SoCal greens this Summer. It definitely wont stick like a ProV1x on half wedge pitches but I have really liked this ball so far. 

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

11 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

I have been playing the AVX exclusively for the past 6-8 rounds and like it...ALOT. 

When you say they don't spin as much on approach, can you give us more context? I've been able to stop 7 irons and down within 4' of my ball mark on SoCal greens this Summer. It definitely wont stick like a ProV1x on half wedge pitches but I have really liked this ball so far. 

I'm also a SoCal guy as well, and the AVX hit and roll about 2 feet on average for me with 7 iron and down from the fairway for me.  But then again,  I do have a shallower angle of attack/strike with all my clubs and make very small thin divots with all my irons. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm also a SoCal guy as well, and the AVX hit and roll about 2 feet on average for me with 7 iron and down from the fairway for me.  But then again,  I do have a shallower angle of attack/strike with all my clubs and make very small thin divots with all my irons. 

That being said then, I'm assuming ProV1X's stop pretty much where they land on the greens for you? I much prefer the softer feel and gains off the tee. Haven't had a ball land and roll off the back of the green yet so I'll stick with em for the foreseeable future.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

55 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

That being said then, I'm assuming ProV1X's stop pretty much where they land on the greens for you? I much prefer the softer feel and gains off the tee. Haven't had a ball land and roll off the back of the green yet so I'll stick with em for the foreseeable future.

Yes they do, but I get too much spin off driver especially when I really swing outta my shoes or into the wind.  The AVX doesn't do that.  It has a flatter trajectory and seems to stay in the air for awhile and if the fairways are dry, roll forever.  I got on trackman indoors and my spin rate was 2100 rpm with AVX which is where it should be with driver.  With prov1x it was 2900 rpm which is too much spin for me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I used to be a proV1x guy, but ever since trying the AVX, I've made the switch.  I switch them out with the MTB-X due to budgetary concerns at times.  AVX is the most accurate ball off the tee for me which is probably because of the low spin although a little bit shorter than the MTB-X.  They are also a full club longer with irons as well.  Feel is definitely softer which is fine but that's not important to me.  Only gripe I have is that they don't spin as much as I'd like with on approach shots.  I did however shoot my lowest round of the year 2 weeks ago with the AVX.  Anyone else game these?   Thoughts?

I think its a great ball...use to play it...but tre expensive..I am a Snell MTB Black baller now

If my home course's greens were always soft enough to make noticeable ball marks I'd probably still be playing AVX. It's really a good compromise ball between absolute max spin versus a bit more distance. But for large portions of the year, my well-struck shots with 7-iron or even 8-iron tend to release 5-10 feet with a Pro V1x. During those times, there's every possibility of a ball bouncing forward 20+ feet and into trouble over the green with AVX. Doesn't happen frequently but after a year or so I became certain it happened often enough to more than erase the advantages of that couple extra yards on every shot (plus quite a few yards with the driver in firm conditions).

I think for someone with even a little bit more clubhead speed, spin and elevation than me it's a definite ball to consider. And certainly for anyone who plays on greens where you actually have to fix ball marks year round!

• Like 2

Enjoying these threads. After a 7-year lay-off I started season trying firmer/higher compression balls like TP5x, Callaway Softx, Srixon Zstar XV and didn't hate any of them but not loving them either. Finally did some research and saw lower compression/softer balls may better suit my 90-95 mph driver swing so tried the Srixon Qstar Tour and the Bridgestone RXS and much happier with results. Driver and irons flew further and better in wind, putter less 'clicky', and as for the RXS excellent spin control around greens...I liked the Qstar Tours but ended up playing the Bridgestone RXS for 80% of the remaining rounds of my season, until the last 3 rounds when I tried the Titleist AVX (which i'd classify a medium compression soft-ish ball) - longer, good feeling, not quite as much spin control as RXS but not bad - just needed some getting used to....I may try them again in the spring.

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

1 hour ago, wcdixon said:

Enjoying these threads. After a 7-year lay-off I started season trying firmer/higher compression balls like TP5x, Callaway Softx, Srixon Zstar XV and didn't hate any of them but not loving them either. Finally did some research and saw lower compression/softer balls may better suit my 90-95 mph driver swing so tried the Srixon Qstar Tour and the Bridgestone RXS and much happier with results. Driver and irons flew further and better in wind, putter less 'clicky', and as for the RXS excellent spin control around greens...I liked the Qstar Tours but ended up playing the Bridgestone RXS for 80% of the remaining rounds of my season, until the last 3 rounds when I tried the Titleist AVX (which i'd classify a medium compression soft-ish ball) - longer, good feeling, not quite as much spin control as RXS but not bad - just needed some getting used to....I may try them again in the spring.

The QST was the ball I started off the year playing! I'm finding the AVX to be longer off the tee and providing more greenside spin, all while being nearly as soft. One characteristic I did note though, was the QST ball launched quite a bit higher w/ driver so if you need that help it's the ball for you.

• Like 1

It's difficult to chose between ProV1 and AVX.  Been playing AVX intermittently for the last four or more months, and like the ball. 

The only subtle difference is AVX has a slightly lower trajectory, more noticeable compression sound at impact than Prov1, and Prov1 spins more on fast greens.  Distance wise, maybe AVX is a few yards longer.  AVX putts just like ProV1.  All in all it's a good ball. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

As a very high spin player, the AVX is one of the best out there. You may also try the titleist pro v1x left dash. Also very good and they say the AVX is lower spinning but on the course it is hard to tell much difference. Plus many have never seen a left dash or even heard of one so that is a kinda cool. Also when you spray it and someone thinks it theirs, the chance of them having a left dash is very, very low. They are both fantastic.

7 hours ago, golfandtennisfan said:

As a very high spin player, the AVX is one of the best out there. You may also try the titleist pro v1x left dash. Also very good and they say the AVX is lower spinning but on the course it is hard to tell much difference. Plus many have never seen a left dash or even heard of one so that is a kinda cool. Also when you spray it and someone thinks it theirs, the chance of them having a left dash is very, very low. They are both fantastic.

Very true although the same could be said about the AVX.  I've seen the AVX once out on the course these past couple years that wasn't mine or my father's ball.  IMO, its a good premium ball that seems to be very underrated. 

I used the AVX exclusively last year but switched to ProV1 this year. The ProV1 spins more which didn't help a mid-handicapper like myself.

I will be moving back to the AVX and sticking with it for the 2021 season and beyond.

• Like 2

TSR3 Driver/Fairway/Hybrid

2023 T200 (4i - 48*) 

SM10 52F* & 56S*
Newport Select 1.5

-ProV1X

Made the switch a couple of years ago after I was given a sleeve during a scramble event.  Figured I'd use them as tee balls since I wouldn't care about losing them.  Proceeded to have one of my best driving days, ever, and it's been my ball of choice ever since (the original version, that is).  I'm pretty high-launch/high-spin, so they fit me very well.  I have no issues holding greens with iron shots, and short shots that require speed still check up for me.  Shorter chips and pitches will roll out more than a ProV1, but that's ok with me.  Feels great off the putter, too.  I'm starting to spend some time with the newer version to see if there's much of a difference.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

I  picked up a sleeve before me round, wanted something softer for the cold temps in the 30's for my round opposed to my normal Pro v1x.  Been wanting to test this ball out regardless, think I am starting to lean towards a softer feel ball and will probably deploy a softer ball for next season. I did hit the Prov1x a few times during the round but nothing really to compare nor were the conditions fair to compare in. V1x is an excellent ball i think really just comes down to fell and spin.  Maybe a few yards of distance extra but really negligible in my opinion.  I hit the ball high in general if it launched lower I could not tell.  The greens were soft but felt it definitely rolled more than the prov1x would on both approach shots and chips With my high ball flight wasn't a problem though(note the pro shop only carried the older version so I assume the new one will tighten the gap a bit).   Where I liked it the most and what I excelled in for the round was my chipping around the greens and my 50-60yd shots felt really comfortable and like the feel.   I will wait and see what the next prov1 (and probably a tp5 or star )is like and compare to the newer AVX for next season.

I played some of the yellow AVX this weekend in a scramble.   I got to say I was very impressed.   I had no issues with spin and I love the feel these have off my irons and wedges.   Played 3 wedge shots from around 80 yards and each one one hopped and spun back about 3 feet.   I had a 5, 6 , and 7 iron shot all one hop and stop.   Not to mention how great these performed off the tee in somewhat windy conditions.   

I would say Titleist made a huge improvement from last years version.   I will definitely put these in play more often.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD          9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+     13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW        19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex TCB       4-AW  Project X

Callaway Jaws Raw      54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Tour