2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

PX 6.0 suitability for deliberate paced swing speed

RoyalMustang

I am normally an X-stiff shaft guy (driver shaft is 70TX CK Orange Pro) and my "full" 7-iron swing speed is 92mph.  I have been working on a shorter, easier swing with more consistent ball striking: my distance hasn't really dropped much (8-iron still goes 170 normally and 175 when struck well). Maybe 5 yards of loss?  I still hit my 9-iron 160 on a perfect strike, which is as far as it ever goes. 

Today I hit a PX 6.0 set on my Mizuno MMC MP20 irons: they felt really nice although the ball flight was pretty high. I have been hitting DG120 X100 shafts, which I got fitted for when I was swinging "harder". Now, the swing feels easier but I am getting more consistent distance, mostly due to center strikes

Now that I am swinging easier, should I step down to the softer PX 6.0 and just play these? Or does my distance indicate that I should be in an X-stiff regardless?  The only disadvantage I see of the PX 6.0 is perhaps there is too much "whip" and therefore excessive ball flight. It says for "fast tempo players" but I certainly am not that, and it doesn't seem to have felt weird today. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, I don't like the answer of "if it works for you, it works" but it fits 100% here.

The purpose of an iron shaft is generally feel and launch.  There really isn't a "should" there and different tracks/games require different shafts.  I play x100 shafts, but it isn't because I have a huge swing speed, its because I cup my wrist just after impact Webb Simpson style and this produces a super-high ball flight.  I've always had a sky-high ball flight and the x100 brings it down to where it is manageable.  If I played the shafts I'm "supposed" to play (probably something like a 105 stiff) I'd hit every ball to the moon.

So its not really about speed.  Its about trajectory.  Do they give you the required trajectory on your standard swing?  Can you feel the head?  Do you like the swing-weight?  If you answered yes to all these questions, they are probably good shafts for you.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Play the strongest shaft you can effectively control, and when needed, should have an extra 10-15yds in the tank per club.  That said, if you're a swinger of the club, you might be better off with X.  Have you tried PX 6.5?  PX 6.0 doesn't seem like enough.

I am a hitter of the ball with a fast tempo and played X-flex for a long time.  In 2006 switched to PX 6.0, played them to late 2017, they were maybe the best shafts I have played.  Always had 10-12 more yards in the tank for each club.  Played a few shafts since, but I am back to PX, only 5.5 and happy for it.   

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

16 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Play the strongest shaft you can effectively control, and when needed, should have an extra 10-15yds in the tank per club.  That said, if you're a swinger of the club, you might be better off with X.  Have you tried PX 6.5?  PX 6.0 doesn't seem like enough.

I am a hitter of the ball with a fast tempo and played X-flex for a long time.  In 2006 switched to PX 6.0, played them to late 2017, they were maybe the best shafts I have played.  Always had 10-12 more yards in the tank for each club.  Played a few shafts since, but I am back to PX, only 5.5 and happy for it.   

I can definitely control the X100.  It launches lower than the 6.0, which has more "pop" if that makes sense.  I suppose "pop" isn't a good thing on a iron though; I don't need extra distance.  

24 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Generally, I don't like the answer of "if it works for you, it works" but it fits 100% here.

The purpose of an iron shaft is generally feel and launch.  There really isn't a "should" there and different tracks/games require different shafts.  I play x100 shafts, but it isn't because I have a huge swing speed, its because I cup my wrist just after impact Webb Simpson style and this produces a super-high ball flight.  I've always had a sky-high ball flight and the x100 brings it down to where it is manageable.  If I played the shafts I'm "supposed" to play (probably something like a 105 stiff) I'd hit every ball to the moon.

So its not really about speed.  Its about trajectory.  Do they give you the required trajectory on your standard swing?  Can you feel the head?  Do you like the swing-weight?  If you answered yes to all these questions, they are probably good shafts for you.

Thanks! Great perspective. 

13 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I can definitely control the X100.  It launches lower than the 6.0, which has more "pop" if that makes sense.  I suppose "pop" isn't a good thing on a iron though; I don't need extra distance.  

More pop.. that's interesting.  PX shafts are NOT known for pop, actually they are for faster tempo swings.  If DG X-100 is lower than 6.0 makes sense because 6.0 is probably not the correct profile for your more deliberate swing.  If I hit a weaker flex shaft, it's going to be more like a moon ball.  

If PX 6.0 plays like it has an active tip, it's the wrong flex.  In correct hands, PX trajectory tends lower, reaches it's apex quicker and stays flatter till it drops.  DG X-100 has a softer handle, climbs to a higher trajectory till it hit apex then drops.  You should try PX 6.5.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

More pop.. that's interesting.  PX shafts are NOT known for pop, actually they are for faster tempo swings.  If DG X-100 is lower than 6.0 makes sense because 6.0 is probably not the correct profile for your more deliberate swing.  If I hit a weaker flex shaft, it's going to be more like a moon ball.  

If PX 6.0 plays like it has an active tip, it's the wrong flex.  In correct hands, PX trajectory tends lower, reaches it's apex quicker and stays flatter till it drops.  DG X-100 has a softer handle, climbs to a higher trajectory till it hit apex then drops.  You should try PX 6.5.

Cool!  I will also try to do a back-to-back. I was impressed though; not so much with the loft (which was high) but how straight my balls were today.  Almost none of the tailing fade I often get on the X100.  I can play the fade but I don't want it to show up randomly.  

I would expect DG120 to launch higher than a px 6.0. I usually advice the softest shaft that gets the launch and spin window you are looking for. Most consider the px shafts in general to be firm and/or harsh but you certainly have the speed. I would try the PX 6.0, px 6.5 and the x100 130 gram and see which you prefer. C taper is also good is S, S+ (X pretty firm for most). Good luck.

Just for reference I just got fitted yesterday, between 90-94mph 6 iron speed. Average at 93. I have always played s300 and got fitted for project x 6.0, super toss up between those and 6.5. I decided I didn’t want to get a stiff batch of 6.5 and be to stiff. I gained 13 yards ish in distance and huge reduction in spin. 

also tried X100 and still hit those to high with to much spin. So them “stiffer” didn’t bring the flight down any. Also Mp20 mmc iron head

13 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I am normally an X-stiff shaft guy (driver shaft is 70TX CK Orange Pro) and my "full" 7-iron swing speed is 92mph.  I have been working on a shorter, easier swing with more consistent ball striking: my distance hasn't really dropped much (8-iron still goes 170 normally and 175 when struck well). Maybe 5 yards of loss?  I still hit my 9-iron 160 on a perfect strike, which is as far as it ever goes. 

Today I hit a PX 6.0 set on my Mizuno MMC MP20 irons: they felt really nice although the ball flight was pretty high. I have been hitting DG120 X100 shafts, which I got fitted for when I was swinging "harder". Now, the swing feels easier but I am getting more consistent distance, mostly due to center strikes

Now that I am swinging easier, should I step down to the softer PX 6.0 and just play these? Or does my distance indicate that I should be in an X-stiff regardless?  The only disadvantage I see of the PX 6.0 is perhaps there is too much "whip" and therefore excessive ball flight. It says for "fast tempo players" but I certainly am not that, and it doesn't seem to have felt weird today. 

The ONLY thing that dictates what stiffness you should play is 1) how a particular shaft feels to you and 2) what type of results you get with it.   There is nothing else that defines what you 'should' play for stiffness.

Tip stiffness (which is very different from flex) will have a very minor role in how much forward shaft bend there is at impact - and therefor have a very minor influence on dynamic loft delivered.   But other than that, there is ZERO direct influence of the stiffness on the results.   There is no inherent benefit to going stiffer or softer for any given swing speed or amount of loading.   It is ALL about how the loading in the particular shaft feels to the individual for the given swing and how that feel effects the way they swing.    So it's 99.9% subjective.  All this talk about "play it as stiff as you can handle"  or "play a shaft as soft as you can control"  has no basis in the physics of the swing or what the shaft does during the swing. Some people prefer to feel a certain amount of loading and some people don't like to feel any loading.   But every one is different and has to figure out what works or doesn't work for them in terms of stiffness.

Short answer:

That means if the way you changed your swing has suddenly made the shafts feel a bit too stiff or boardy then they did before the swing change, then you may want to consider going a bit softer.  But if you didn't notice any difference in how the shafts feel, then it's very unlikely that there will be any benefit to changing shafts.

I have a 115 mph driver swing and a 93 mph 6 iron swing and I have no interest in playing x-flex anything.  I've played nothing but CTaper120's and Project X 6.0's.   I'm pretty weight sensitive and if I get up into the 130g iron shaft range it feels like I'm swinging a piece of rebar.  I can flight the 6.0's high and low with a cut or a draw fairly consistently unless I'm having a crap swing day.   I don't go over 65 grams in my driver and stay around that weight in my fairway woods.   The few times I've swung heavier / stiffer I feel like I can't lay off one bit or the ball does something unintended. 

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS