Bandon trip report - 4-6 Dec 2020

spud3

Good stuff! 🙂

The greens really do look in fantastic shape.

That's the approach on SR#1 with the ghost tree?

Do you need to wait for a shuttle at OM or can you drive out to SR on your own?

I do like BD 15-12-4-5 view and OM 7 never gets old either 😉

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

27 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

Good stuff! 🙂

The greens really do look in fantastic shape.

That's the approach on SR#1 with the ghost tree?

Do you need to wait for a shuttle at OM or can you drive out to SR on your own?

I do like BD 15-12-4-5 view and OM 7 never gets old either 😉

Yeah, I was really impressed with the greens on all three of the courses I played.  This is usually the time of year where they get a little scruffy, especially the greens on Trails out near the lake.  Those were all in perfect condition - no bald spots or dead sections.

Yes, that's the approach to SR #1.  The tee shot is blind, but well framed, then you walk over the edge and the hole lays out in front of you.  Great visual (one of dozens).

You can drive right out to SR.  The road that used to end at OM has been extended, parallels east of OM 17/18, crosses the road that goes down to the beach and winds its way to the SR clubhouse.  It's about a 5 minute drive from OM to SR, maybe 10 from the Trails parking lot (if you obey the 20 mph limit).

There are several vistas that are going to knock you out.  I had some idea of how good they are, having played the "raw" version of SR a few years ago, but I was really impressed.

@Edaw68: that ball was defying gravity, for sure.  Luckily, the hole was to the right, so I had something of a shot.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

3 minutes ago, bradleyguye said:

Where did you end up staying in town? Any recommendations? I am looking at most likely doing this before the rest of the group arrives.

Bandon Inn.  Costs about the same as a single room at the resort.

There's also the Inn at Old Town, which is cheaper and a notch down in quality, but adequate for a place to sleep

I cant imagine how awesome it must be to just be able to look at the weather a week ahead of time and drive down - as opposed to booking your trip 16+ months out LOL. Awesome pics!

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

Yeah, I was really impressed with the greens on all three of the courses I played.  This is usually the time of year where they get a little scruffy, especially the greens on Trails out near the lake.  Those were all in perfect condition - no bald spots or dead sections.

Yes, that's the approach to SR #1.  The tee shot is blind, but well framed, then you walk over the edge and the hole lays out in front of you.  Great visual (one of dozens).

You can drive right out to SR.  The road that used to end at OM has been extended, parallels east of OM 17/18, crosses the road that goes down to the beach and winds its way to the SR clubhouse.  It's about a 5 minute drive from OM to SR, maybe 10 from the Trails parking lot (if you obey the 20 mph limit).

There are several vistas that are going to knock you out.  I had some idea of how good they are, having played the "raw" version of SR a few years ago, but I was really impressed.

@Edaw68: that ball was defying gravity, for sure.  Luckily, the hole was to the right, so I had something of a shot.

Cool! When we booked our now defunct trip for this year a year ago, they weren't sure how complete that service road would be. Nice to hear it's done.

Is the rough up much anywhere? As you say without the wind, there's really nothing to defend it - more so than the other courses seemingly?

And the greens have that new green firmness I guess? Over and above being a links course.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Great report! Never get's old reading about people's experiences at Bandon.  I am expecting the worst of weather in a month when there, but you just never know.  Glad you got some sun! 

What was process on takeout?  You just call it in, they give you a pickup time and you go grab it?  Any takeout drinks?  Beer is one thing, but curious how they would do takeout cocktails or wine if that's even a thing.  

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

Cool! When we booked our now defunct trip for this year a year ago, they weren't sure how complete that service road would be. Nice to hear it's done.

Is the rough up much anywhere? As you say without the wind, there's really nothing to defend it - more so than the other courses seemingly?

And the greens have that new green firmness I guess? Over and above being a links course.

The rough is bunchy and thick.  You can see a good example in the photo above the protein balls in the report post.  Mostly, the ball will stay on top of it and you have a spongy lie to take into account.  The ball can settle down into it, though, leaving something that you have to dig down into.

The wind is definitely the single biggest defense.  Imagine an entire course like BD 5, 6, 15, 16 and you get the idea.  If it's windy, it will not go well if you do not have a knock-down shot in the bag.  Nae wind, nae golf...

The greens are young and firm (somewhat avoiding the obvious double entendre), but it's so nice to be putting on pure fescue.  I did roll a couple off the putting surface by getting too aggressive.  I'd liken the green complex designs to BD, overall. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, graveydellic said:

Great report! Never get's old reading about people's experiences at Bandon.  I am expecting the worst of weather in a month when there, but you just never know.  Glad you got some sun! 

What was process on takeout?  You just call it in, they give you a pickup time and you go grab it?  Any takeout drinks?  Beer is one thing, but curious how they would do takeout cocktails or wine if that's even a thing.  

Takeout process could not be easier.  Call up the restaurant, tell them what you want (including drinks) and it arrives at your room about 30-40 minutes later.  Gratuity is already added in.  I didn't order a cocktail, but I would assume you can order those as well.

My meatloaf dinner was reasonably hot, but certainly not as if I had just had it brought to my table in McKee's.  For lunches, you just call or walk up to the restaurant and order, and it's ready in about 10 minutes.  They have grab and go breakfast sandwiches available at most of the restaurants and turn stands.  There is a sheet in the room (and posted on the website) with all the details.  They have been doing the takeout thing for a while and have it down.

Edited by spud3

I am heading down there on Saturday (Dec 12th) evening for 5 nights with my first round at the Sheep R. on Sunday morning.  Sunday's forecast is looking intimidating with wind and rain :(     Oh well!  Then monday through thursday next week are looking like potential shower days too for each round..  Don't think I will be getting as lucky as last year, Dec 12-Dec 17 2019.  I played in shorts one morning at Pacific Dunes last year!  I'm sure (rain or shine) it will still be as memorable as my first trip last year!  It's too bad we didn't book the trip the first week of December!!!!!  Weather out here has been beautiful since the week of turkey day.  And I called this morning hoping to hear there might have been cancellations next week giving us flexibility to adjust tee times to avoid nastier weather.. Nope.. Resort still full!!!!!  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

I am heading down there on Saturday (Dec 12th) evening for 5 nights with my first round at the Sheep R. on Sunday morning.  Sunday's forecast is looking intimidating with wind and rain 😞    Oh well!  Then monday through thursday next week are looking like potential shower days too for each round..  Don't think I will be getting as lucky as last year, Dec 12-Dec 17 2019.  I played in shorts one morning at Pacific Dunes last year!  I'm sure (rain or shine) it will still be as memorable as my first trip last year!  It's too bad we didn't book the trip the first week of December!!!!!  Weather out here has been beautiful since the week of turkey day.  And I called this morning hoping to hear there might have been cancellations next week giving us flexibility to adjust tee times to avoid nastier weather.. Nope.. Resort still full!!!!!  

I’m heading down on Sunday. Weather can change in a minute. 

1 hour ago, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

I am heading down there on Saturday (Dec 12th) evening for 5 nights with my first round at the Sheep R. on Sunday morning.  Sunday's forecast is looking intimidating with wind and rain 😞    Oh well!  Then monday through thursday next week are looking like potential shower days too for each round..  Don't think I will be getting as lucky as last year, Dec 12-Dec 17 2019.  I played in shorts one morning at Pacific Dunes last year!  I'm sure (rain or shine) it will still be as memorable as my first trip last year!  It's too bad we didn't book the trip the first week of December!!!!!  Weather out here has been beautiful since the week of turkey day.  And I called this morning hoping to hear there might have been cancellations next week giving us flexibility to adjust tee times to avoid nastier weather.. Nope.. Resort still full!!!!!  

As mallrat said, the weather can change (either way) quickly.  Bring all the rain gear.  I played with several guys on Friday and Sunday who were wearing shorts.  Fine until the sun gets near the horizon, and the temp drops about 15 degrees in 15 minutes.

Looks like you might get the full experience on the SR...

On 12/8/2020 at 2:58 AM, spud3 said:

About the 4th hole, the wind really picked up (maybe a steady 20 mph with bigger gusts) and I slipped on the rain gear just as the first raindrop hit my glasses.  The wall of water hit hard, starting with some sideways hail (which really hurts), then the steady rain came and lasted the rest of the time I was out.

I love this. Not, "so I ran for cover." I have casual golf friends and they are just astounded by the weather I'm willing to play through, and that's on a run of the mill muni, let alone Bandon. It's one reason I'll never even think about bringing them on a trip other than something like Myrtle Beach, where golf is just an excuse for them to get away.

• Like 1

Heh.  Well, to be fair, there is no cover on SR...

The simple fact that one is willing to even go to Bandon in December implies that one is prepared to play in gnarly weather.  The day before I left, the forecast was for two and a half days of sunshine, and an afternoon with a slight chance of some showers.  That afternoon devolved into a three-hour monsoon, followed by six more hours of steady rain.

As we say in Oregon, "there's no bad weather, just bad gear..."

• Like 3

Great report, spud!

Also, what a story to say you got to go off on Sheep as a solo! I felt so lucky to be able to play BD as a single with my wife walking with me; so much fun and an incredible memory.

Now, I've got to ask...where does Sheep fall in your personal rankings?

Edited by Lefty_89

Yup!  I am mentally prepared and have played in plenty of rain out here in the portland area.  I played a very rainy afternoon at the end of september (when the fires cleared) and november to get a little practice with two FootJoy rain gloves and with the umbrella in the car!  Just took it the entire four hour downpour.  It's my brother in law (arriving from AZ) and brother (So CAL) i'm concerned for...  They are looking at the forecast in fear!  I will admit, I am beginning to question my own rain gear for what looks like a substantial amount of rain starting Sunday.  I have the right shoes (Nike Lunar Bandon shoes) but my cheap sets of water-resistant jackets and pants may not cut it.  I may be out there with rain pants below a pair of rain paints 🙄   Either way, i'm trying to convince my brother and in law that you just have to leave the umbrella at home and block the rain out..  As soon as you try and hide from the rain..  kiss your golf game good bye..  You will be focused on staying dry and not golfing..  You've got to just ignore it and focus on golf..  A little bourbon helps too 🤪

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Great report, spud!

Also, what a story to say you got to go off on Sheep as a solo! I felt so lucky to be able to play BD as a single with my wife walking with me; so much fun and an incredible memory.

SR is number 1, but only because I've played the other courses a bunch and know them reasonably well.  SR is a new mystery to decode.

And the views.....

But I was asked by everyone I played with over the weekend which course is my favorite, and I gave my stock answer: "Whichever one I'm playing"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spud3 said:

SR is number 1, but only because I've played the other courses a bunch and know them reasonably well.  SR is a new mystery to decode.

And the views.....

But I was asked by everyone I played with over the weekend which course is my favorite, and I gave my stock answer: "Whichever one I'm playing"

Hot take: the walk from tee to green on 9 might be my favorite walk on the course

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

Yup!  I am mentally prepared and have played in plenty of rain out here in the portland area.  I played a very rainy afternoon at the end of september (when the fires cleared) and november to get a little practice with two FootJoy rain gloves and with the umbrella in the car!  Just took it the entire four hour downpour.  It's my brother in law (arriving from AZ) and brother (So CAL) i'm concerned for...  They are looking at the forecast in fear!  I will admit, I am beginning to question my own rain gear for what looks like a substantial amount of rain starting Sunday.  I have the right shoes (Nike Lunar Bandon shoes) but my cheap sets of water-resistant jackets and pants may not cut it.  I may be out there with rain pants below a pair of rain paints 🙄   Either way, i'm trying to convince my brother and in law that you just have to leave the umbrella at home and block the rain out..  As soon as you try and hide from the rain..  kiss your golf game good bye..  You will be focused on staying dry and not golfing..  You've got to just ignore it and focus on golf..  A little bourbon helps too 🤪

Yeah, you're gonna want to upgrade your gear. My group has something of a running joke from the first year they went, in which one guy trusted his "water resistant" gear.

34 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Great report, spud!

There is something special about a solo walk. My near dark loop bonus 9 around OM, complete with some time to sit on the back side of No. 7 to contemplate life with a flask in hand, with the sun going down was mystical, magical, spiritual, any of those words. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

If you're questioning your rain gear after a Portland rain, then you'll most likely find it painfully inadequate down there.  Some years ago, I went down with a brand new (non-Gore Tex) Mizuno rain suit that had passed a shakedown round during a Portland rain with flying colors, only to have it fail spectacularly on hole 12 of a monsoon round on BD.  Most miserable 90 minutes of my life.  

Bourbon helps a lot.

Edited by spud3
  • Like 2

jesus.. ok i'm going to give REI a look tonight and Redtail to see what they've got in stock....  I convinced my wife to let me throw down some serious dough for an outfit..  And out of curiosity, did the Sheep Ranch feel tight?  As in..  did you ever feel yourself saying "jesus if I miss this green slightly left (or right) I may nail the s*** out of the group standing on the next tee box?!  Haha..  i'm a bit of a head case when I see people in close proximity..  Sheep Ranch looks like it is built on a smaller property than the others..  I recall not seeing very many other golfers around last year when I played the other 4 courses last December..  It felt like we had the course to ourselves being such large courses..

Just make sure it's Gore Tex and you'll be fine.  Top it off with a bucket hat from the Bandon pro shop (with your choice of course logo) and you're good to go.

If it works in the drive schedule, make a stop at Fiddlers Green outside of Eugene. They've got a great selection of golf rain gear from the top brands and arguably the best prices in the NW.

If all else fails, the pro shop(s) at the resort have tons of rain gear, but you'll pay a premium there.

I was surprised at how open SR felt while playing.  It is on the smallest piece of land, but Bill Coore did a masterful job in the routing.  I never felt like I had to be aware of anyone playing adjacent holes, much less that anyone was in danger.  Several of the tee areas are in the same place, but you're aiming different directions.  There is one shared green complex (3 & 16), but it's huge, and you'd really have to badly over-club your approach to end up on the other green.  It's amazing routing.  Plus, if you're playing in the wind, you'll need to keep the ball down anyway.

Overall course length did feel smaller, kinda like PD - a couple of my buddies will likely be playing SR from the back tees (if I have anything to say about it, anyway).  We play green tees on the other courses and that's plenty long.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spud3 said:

I was surprised at how open SR felt while playing.  It is on the smallest piece of land, but Bill Coore did a masterful job in the routing.  I never felt like I had to be aware of anyone playing adjacent holes, much less that anyone was in danger.  Several of the tee areas are in the same place, but you're aiming different directions.  There is one shared green complex (3 & 16), but it's huge, and you'd really have to badly over-club your approach to end up on the other green.  It's amazing routing.  Plus, if you're playing in the wind, you'll need to keep the ball down anyway.

Overall course length did feel smaller, kinda like PD - a couple of my buddies will likely be playing SR from the back tees (if I have anything to say about it, anyway).  We play green tees on the other courses and that's plenty long.

Great point - I know that 6 and 10 sort of run along each other, but you feel like you have the course to yourself most times.

You really have to be spraying the ball to miss the fairway (or an adjacent fairway) on most holes too. I think I hit 12/14 fairways the first round I played it.

Glad to hear!  I originally had the group playing Sheep Ranch Day 1 and Day 6.  Once I saw some videos of the course I thought it looked a bit tighter... so I changed Day 6 (departing day) to Pacific Dunes from the original planned SR.  At this point it is impossible, so I've been told, to find a sheep ranch tee time for next week for 4.. so there's no going back. Either way.. I really enjoyed PD last year.. so playing it twice won't upset anybody.. at least it shouldn't!