2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Spalding SD Tour X - first impressions - LONG

FakeClubPro

The Spalding SD Tour X is a 3 piece urethane ball.  It is essentially a Pro V1x clone. Spalding is owned by Nitro, they make lower cost balls found in Wal Mart and they own one or two web sites.  Their HQ is in unfortunate Milwaukee and the balls are made in Vietnam.

I took at a glance at Wal Mart but they were $29 and there was no way.  They marked them down to $18 so I gave them a try.   the weather was cooler for Florida about 72 deg, maybe 50% humidity which is low with a light breeze from north about 3 mph.

I forgot I had them and only broke them out at the 6th hole, I was playing by myself.   I had been doing some gym work but saw no added distance on the first 5 holes using Wilson Smart Core, ProV1x and one one hole a found Nike One Vapor which is a good ball.

I teed up the SD Tour X and hole #6 a 350 yard par 4. 3 mph wind at my back.   The ball took off like a rocket and straight with a nice trajectory.  My longest total with my Cobra F9 is usually about 210 to 215 with a swing speed usually about 89.5 mph.   The SD Tour X took me much farther down the fairway to a place I had never been.  I guessed about 230 yards which shocked me.   On the next hole it was back into the 3 mph wind.   Again super straight perfect drive that took me to a spot I had never been on the middle of fairway.  Probably 225 yards total or a little more. Much closer to the green.  This was a 375 yard par 4.

So I had been looking for a ball to get me 10 yards and did not believe it existed. I finally found the ball.   It is very nice off the fairway woods.    I hit a 9 iron (2016 Callaway Apex Forged - a set that a neighbor gave me!) into the green on a later hole and it landed and rolled out maybe 10 inches.   Shots with wedges, lob & sand wedges was great.    My weakness is 5, 6 and sometimes 7 irons.  I do not even put a 4 iron in the bag.  This is where I prefer super soft Wilson low compression balls.  If I have a little fluffy lie then I am ok.  I can hit the 7 iron and maybe 6 i fine

As far as putting, the Spalding SD Tour X was excellent.  I have played Pro V1 and 1x and I know how great they are for the short game.  Is this as good?  Maybe not but pretty close.  Will low handicappers with a few bucks love this ball?  Probably not - they will play TP5 or Pro V1.

As I was heading in at 18 it was getting dark.  I had found a bright red Nitro cheap and tried it.   It slices and is not as long as SD Tour X.  I played one SD Tour X for about 70% of the round and it held up very well.

So for $18 - it is a steal.   It looks like Wal Mart has them on the web site at that price.  I am not pimping for Wal Mart, Niro or Spalding but I hope they can make money at 418 and keep selling them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spalding-SD-Tour-X-Golf-Balls-12-Pack/704591228

Edited by FakeClubPro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

The Spalding SD Tour X is a 3 piece urethane ball.  It is essentially a Pro V1x clone. Spalding is owned by Nitro, they make lower cost balls found in Wal Mart and they own one or two web sites.  Their HQ is in unfortunate Milwaukee and the balls are made in Vietnam.

I took at a glance at Wal Mart but they were $29 and there was no way.  They marked them down to $18 so I gave them a try.   the weather was cooler for Florida about 72 deg, maybe 50% humidity which is low with a light breeze from north about 3 mph.

I forgot I had them and only broke them out at the 6th hole, I was playing by myself.   I had been doing some gym work but saw no added distance on the first 5 holes using Wilson Smart Core, ProV1x and one one hole a found Nike One Vapor which is a good ball.

I teed up the SD Tour X and hole #6 a 350 yard par 4. 3 mph wind at my back.   The ball took off like a rocket and straight with a nice trajectory.  My longest total with my Cobra F9 is usually about 210 to 215 with a swing speed usually about 89.5 mph.   The SD Tour X took me much farther down the fairway to a place I had never been.  I guessed about 230 yards which shocked me.   On the next hole it was back into the 3 mph wind.   Again super straight perfect drive that took me to a spot I had never been on the middle of fairway.  Probably 225 yards total or a little more. Much closer to the green.  This was a 375 yard par 4.

So I had been looking for a ball to get me 10 yards and did not believe it existed. I finally found the ball.   It is very nice off the fairway woods.    I hit a 9 iron (2016 Callaway Apex Forged - a set that a neighbor gave me!) into the green on a later hole and it landed and rolled out maybe 10 inches.   Shots with wedges, lob & sand wedges was great.    My weakness is 5, 6 and sometimes 7 irons.  I do not even put a 4 iron in the bag.  This is where I prefer super soft Wilson low compression balls.  If I have a little fluffy lie then I am ok.  I can hit the 7 iron and maybe 6 i fine

As far as putting, the Spalding SD Tour X was excellent.  I have played Pro V1 and 1x and I know how great they are for the short game.  Is this as good?  Maybe not but pretty close.  Will low handicappers with a few bucks love this ball?  Probably not - they will play TP5 or Pro V1.

As I was heading in at 18 it was getting dark.  I had found a bright red Nitro cheap and tried it.   It slices and is not as long as SD Tour X.  I played one SD Tour X for about 70% of the round and it held up very well.

So for $18 - it is a steal.   It looks like Wal Mart has them on the web site at that price.  I am not pimping for Wal Mart, Niro or Spalding but I hope they can make money at 418 and keep selling them.

How did they feel? Firm like a ProV1 or soft like a QST? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

How did they feel? Firm like a ProV1 or soft like a QST? 

ProV1 firm.  I like Wilsons like Fifty Elite and Duo cause they are soft (low compression).  Just wonderful off irons.   But sometimes I like firm better when hitting driver because it feels like you are really pounding it.

All around - I was impressed by the ball.  The distance for me was crazy.  I think the reason I posted was to see if anyone else saw the same increased distance.

Edited by FakeClubPro
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, scotty_2987 said:

Just from putting inside the sd tour x feels a hair softer then a regular pro v1. I’ll test it on the course tomorrow. Here are the insides for anyone interested. 

81233FE0-EAA5-43E8-87B4-A25009DD72CC.jpeg

The SD X, I think is like Pro V1 X and the SD is like the Pro V1.   I will hopefully get out to play tomorrow or the next day.  Very cold even in Florida today.

I got the SD X out today. Overall it’s a solid ball, no longer for me then any other similar ball. Durability I would say seemed really good. The SD X felt closer to the regular pro v1 to me. Not gonna lie after a few holes I switched back to my left dash pro v1x. I love that ball. Nothing beats it for distance off driver and longer clubs for me. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Still haven't tried these yet, but so far I am loving the Pure Speed and the Molitor. I just ordered a few boxes of the pure spin to try out now.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, mbwannab said:

Just picked up the sd tour x for $2 at Walmart! Unfortunately I live in Ohio so I’ll be trying them out in a month maybe 😂 Went back to look for more but didn’t see any😭 I would have bought them all for that price

I think the lowest I've found them for was around $6.  I stocked up and still have a ton.  As mentioned, you can check brickseek to try to see if they are on clearance near you.  Just be aware that  brickseek saying that they are in stock at a particular location doesn't guarantee that you'll see them on the shelves there.  

• Like 1

It have been getting them off eBay for about $8 and am happy with that. I don't notice to hem being any longer, but they play well. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2023 at 7:23 AM, danadane said:

6 Handicap and use these balls exclusively. Average swing speed so these balls are every bit as good as any $50.00 tour ball but a 1/3 the price. The ball was given bad reviews by Titleist schill reviewers because of the threat to them, it's BS. Try them and you will play nothing else until you run out of them.

I bought 6 dozen off eBay for $50 and have them in my rotation. For some odd reason I lose them more than anything else. 🤣 

Current rotation is Spalding Tour X, Titleist Velocity (orange), Cut Red, Cut Matte Orange. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2020 at 8:30 AM, FakeClubPro said:

I play the SD Tour and avoid the X model. I have dozens of them and play to a 6. The SD Tour is as good as anything out there and $15 a dozen on eBay. Play them once and you will believe.

I'm assuming that the balls are no longer being produced and there is just a bunch of old stock floating around.  Based on what's currently on the conformance list, someone different owns the rights to the Spalding brand name for golf balls now.  Also appears that someone different owns the Nitro name.  They both were previously owned by Reliable of Milwaukee.

On 10/15/2023 at 2:25 PM, deepred said:

Whoever is behind Lost Golf Balls bought Nitro I believe. 

I have no clue.  Haven't heard anything about that.  The Spalding balls used to be listed on the Nitro website but the Nitro site has disappeared now.  Conforming list indicates current Nitro balls were submitted by Golf Gifts & Gallery Inc. and current Spalding balls were submitted by Lezax Inc.  I don't see either brand listed on any "official" (brand/owner) website now.

• Like 1