Flynn Golf Shafts with TaylorMade heads

MRx747

1 minute ago, leezer99 said:

First of all we all agree that the only people that care about any kid winning is that kid and the parents. It just doesn’t matter until later. Secondly, chipping and putting helps kids win when they’re young, not older. The older kids that are winning are making birdies by increasing their GIR from longer and longer distances. There’s a strong correlation between top earners on tour with SG Approach that has already been discussed ad nauseum. SG putting is so razor thin at the higher ranks that the difference in a good round and a great round simply comes down to “getting hot” for a day or week. You’ll often hear that winners made 100+ feet of putts in a day they had a great round but statistically those numbers are not sustainable. Hit the ball closer from further away and you’ve got something 

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying but Chipping and putting is extremely important and usually is the difference between winning and 30th when you get to the biggest events when kids are older.

It's given that you have to hit irons well and close but the truth is if you average 20 feet away from the pin you are probably one of the best iron hitters of all time.

If you can't make 10 footers it's doesn't matter how many greens you hit you never going to make enough birdies. It's the same thing with chipping if you not a good chipper your going have a hard time saving par on some holes.  No one hit's 100% of the greens.

6 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying but Chipping and putting is extremely important and usually is the difference between winning and 30th when you get to the biggest events when kids are older.

It's given that you have to hit irons well and close but the truth is if you average 20 feet away from the pin you are probably one of the best iron hitters of all time.

If you can't make 10 footers it's doesn't matter how many greens you hit you never going to make enough birdies. It's the same thing with chipping if you not a good chipper your going have a hard time saving par on some holes.  No one hit's 100% of the greens.

I agree with Leezer here.  If you watch the competitive kids it comes down to proximity to the holes. 
Wedges inside of 10 ft.   Good chipping just gives you the ability to keep a good round going.  

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

32 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

I agree with Leezer here.  If you watch the competitive kids it comes down to proximity to the holes. 
Wedges inside of 10 ft.   Good chipping just gives you the ability to keep a good round going.  

What are you comparing the putting and chipping with?   Most kids and I am including the top amateurs are nowhere near what the top pro's both PGA and LPGA are for both chipping and putting.   The best players winning the best events sink a good number of 10-20ft putts.

The truth is it's not even fair compared to the rest of the field.  I seen some players who can sink half the greens they hit for a birdie and they save a good chunk of their mistakes which everyone has.  Probably half the PGA field is this good so it's then up to them to have a good day.

The best amateurs are also this good and big reason why they win so many events.

Edited by tiger1873

52 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

That likelihood of making a 10’ putt on the highest level is 41%. And that’s for guys that get paid to practice and play on perfect greens every day. Your kid, my kid or anyone’s kid is not going to be better than that UNLESS they get hot for a day or two. One day you can make every ten footer you look at and the next day you’ll miss every one. That’s just fact. Leaning on making 10’ putts as a strategy for future success is dumb. 

In your own words please explain to me how you can score better with good chipping and putting than hitting more GIR. If I have 12 putts for birdie in a round and you have six chips for birdie and six putts for birdie who will have more birdies at the end of the day?

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Just now, leezer99 said:

That likelihood of making a 10’ putt on the highest level is 41%. And that’s for guys that get paid to practice and play on perfect greens every day. Your kid, my kid or anyone’s kid is not going to be better than that UNLESS they get hot for a day or two. One day you can make every ten footer you look at and the next day you’ll miss every one. That’s just fact. Leaning on making 10’ putts as a strategy for future success is dumb. 

In your own words please explain to me how you can score better with good chipping and putting than hitting more GIR. If I have 12 putts for birdie in a round and you have six chips for birdie and six putts for birdie who will have more birdies at the end of the day?

This not something worth debating that much.  So many ways to get a low scores and the reality is there is a lot skills needed. 

My assumption is the best player is going to hit  12-14 greens so this is a very good player in the first place.  This means if they can putt they have good chance for 6-7 birdies and probably make at least 4 or more birdies a round. The are not chipping in birdies very much and i would say statistically that doesn't matter.

The chipping matters because well they miss 6 to 4 greens.  I am going to assume they will miss one by 6 feet or more and bogey a hole but actually make the others.   If you think about the skills to hit a shot closer then 6 feet from different lies is a big one.

Now if you have a great iron player hits 16 greens but only makes 10% of their putts from more then 10 feet that player is going to be lucky to have 1-2 birdies. I am also guess there chipping might be ok but if you 2 putt most putts there going end up with a few bogeys. That player will have hard time breaking par.

If you don't have a decent short game you are simply going to have a hard time winning.

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

You guys really should listen to those of us who have gone down that path. Buying OEM clubs for a you kid is enormous waste of money and extremely hard to do correctly.

You can go ahead and fit a kid to a maverick driver.  If you get it right after spending hundreds on trial error fine you did a good job.  The problem is in 3 months that driver will be completely wrong.

An extra 10 -15 yards or what ever you get doesn't matter.  The yardages are just short chances are they can hit the green in two or most likely miss and have to chip anyways.   You not doing you kid a favor if they use driver and wedges all the time either. 

Concentrate on chipping and putting that is what wins events as they get older anyways.

I appreciate the feedback and end of day I am just trying to learn what is best.  My son plays the ProdiG Driver and it was discouraging to see every single other competitor without exception playing an OEM driver and gaining an advantage because of it at similar ability and swing speed level.  Its easy to assume that it is the natural thing to do at that level, not something that will be a hindrance on longer term development.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, phillyspecial said:

I appreciate the feedback and end of day I am just trying to learn what is best.  My son plays the ProdiG Driver and it was discouraging to see every single other competitor without exception playing an OEM driver and gaining an advantage because of it at similar ability and swing speed level.  Its easy to assume that it is the natural thing to do at that level, not something that will be a hindrance on longer term development.  

He is 8.  Distance isn't everything.  Get better at golfing.  There is no written rule that says your kid will have better scores if he hits an OEM driver.  There is no written rule that says he will shoot better if he gets longer.  He just needs to learn to play golf.

My kid played in a tournament with a kid this weekend that was a short knocker.  Par 3 was 204 yds.  My son was using a 5i.  This kid was using his driver on the par3 and ended up shooting a 78 for both tournament rounds.  Can't wait to see what this kid can do in 2 years.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:26 AM, heavy_hitter said:

A baseball bat is a great analogy.  I am in that business and understand them.

A HS BBCOR bat are all drop 3's.  That means if the bat is 33" the weight is 30 oz.  If the bat is 32" the weight is 29 oz.

Oh man.

How did I miss this?

RIP Easton Black Magic 33-30.

Easton-Black-Magic-2-3-4-DIA-33in-30oz.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies everyone, got busy for 2 months.

Quick update:

I put away my 8 year old's SIM2 Max for now, he just isn't strong enough for it yet, the swing speed was way down, and notice it was making him change his form, a big no for us. We went back to his Flynn golf driver for now, and plan to until he is strong enough to swing it without changing anything. 

For those wondering, with his Flynn Golf we are up to 120-125 carry with a rare 130+, the roll isn't much but we get about 150-160 total. His SIM2 Max he just couldn't get more than 120 carry on his best swing, hovering around 100-105 carry, the roll after is amazing but we rather have him miss out on 10-20 yards instead of affecting his swing. Not sure who to explain it but his swing started to change to adjust to swing a heavier club i guess.

My 10 year old retired his Flynn golf driver and is using his Sim Max full time now, 150 carry on average swings, 165-170 carry  when he crushes one, which is often these past 2 weeks, we also getting about 30-40 yards roll, so we are at 200  yards average off his driver right now. He was a little inconsistent with slices for the first month, but he got around it and now is doing very well.

Both my kids aren't very tall but my 10 year have some size, very good eater, so definitely swing speed and body strength matters.

Sort of read up on most of the post here, I firmly believe there are no right or wrong with this stuff, every kids is different. I too was happy with both my kids Flynn golf stuff until bigger tournament where I'm seeing kids their age out driving them by a bit, most with TM, PING, etc... OEM heads. After spending time and money with this experience, my 10 year old is fine, and I'm happy with this change, but for my 8 year old..... 100% too early for OEM heads.

• Like 3