BigTerp's swing journey

BigTerp1524

Fellow tall guy checking in (6'6" here), I've been through the struggles with equipment, I think the longer clubs are going to help a lot. I personally play only 1/2" over but Monte made some changes to my setup and it has me wondering if I need longer clubs, as I don't want to play them 4* up or something crazy, which is what it feels like is needed. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

16 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Not much to add - but just to say, hang in there man - it's a marathon not a sprint... we all want quick results (a golf swing 'seems' easy enough no?) but it's the process, the grinding, the lightbulb that's worth it in the long run... you're at the right place, lots of well intentioned people, giving honest takes (glk & TheDean, to name a few) - that really know their stuff... I posted one swing on pivot work I was doing for nearly half a year - and guys here picked it up immediatly - if you have the chance, Monte and/or Dan are the real deal

Thanks man. Much appreciated!! I was definitely initially deflated after my fitting. I honestly hit the ball WAY worse than I did before working on my swing. But I understand the process and am willing to embrace the suck to make it happen. And yes, I'll be getting with Monte in the near future for a live online lesson.  

10 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Fellow tall guy checking in (6'6" here), I've been through the struggles with equipment, I think the longer clubs are going to help a lot. I personally play only 1/2" over but Monte made some changes to my setup and it has me wondering if I need longer clubs, as I don't want to play them 4* up or something crazy, which is what it feels like is needed. 

Yeah, I'm hoping longer clubs will make things at least more comfortable. It was a noticeable difference swinging 1-1/2" over, at least comfort wise.

I just started following this thread.  It's interesting to me because I'm a tall guy who has been through a similar approach with ups and downs.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, mgoblue83 said:

@BigTerp1524

I tried to warn you about this as it's happened to many people but it looks and sounds like you are starting to get lost in positions and swing thoughts. Just remember the golf swing is an athletic movement meant to send the ball at the target with as much speed as possible. You look rigid and slow with your locked left arm and forced turn. Loosen up your whole body and get the speed and athleticism back.

IMO the things you should be focusing on are:

1.) Swinging fast while staying balanced (loosen up)

2.) Hitting the center of the club face (foot spray on the face or impact tape)

3.) Having the club face pointed at the target (Ball starts straight)

If your swing is "out of position" on camera but you are successful at hitting the golf ball flush at the target then who cares? Everyone has different biomechanics and you need to find what works for you. 

You won't find a locked left arm or anything forced with this guy:

I wanted to respond to this post because it aligns with my current line of thinking.  I 100% agree that its an athletic move that happens so fast and when you throw different body types in the mix, it's a recipe for disaster when it comes to instruction.  But while I agree with your 3 points of focus, the problem is that the average person has no idea how to get there. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrHateCoffee said:

I just started following this thread.  It's interesting to me because I'm a tall guy who has been through a similar approach with ups and downs.

I wanted to respond to this post because it aligns with my current line of thinking.  I 100% agree that its an athletic move that happens so fast and when you throw different body types in the mix, it's a recipe for disaster when it comes to instruction.  But while I agree with your 3 points of focus, the problem is that the average person has no idea how to get there. 

Absolutely. Watching the best players in the world and saying "just make an athletic motion like them" is akin to saying just speak French after watching a French movie. 

These guys have dedicated their entire lives to getting better every single day. 

14 hours ago, MrHateCoffee said:

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Absolutely. Watching the best players in the world and saying "just make an athletic motion like them" is akin to saying just speak French after watching a French movie. 

These guys have dedicated their entire lives to getting better every single day. 

Yep!! Everything makes total sense to me in regards to HOW it should be. It's actually getting there that's the struggle for the majority, including me. Athletically, I'm no slouch. I was a dual sport athlete in college (Baseball, Basketball) and spent my junior and senior years playing baseball at a very high collegiate level in the Athletic Coast Conference. This is in no way a brag, but a good example of just how difficult a competent golf swing is to attain regardless of your background, body type, age, etc. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

My fitting on Saturday was pretty much a disaster. I could not hit anything well at all. I was struggling so much, my fitting basically turned into a lesson. I was either topping the ball into the bottom of the screen or hitting it with such an open club face that it was an awful slice/push slice. It was almost embarrassing how bad I was hitting!!

{snip}

Overall I think the 1-1/2" shaft length increase, the 120ish gram shaft weight and the stiff/extra stiff flex will get me in the right direction. My plan is to have Maltby build me a set with a budget shaft (probably an FST). I just need to research which shaft is a good alternative to the X100 and decide on a head. I also need to figure out what I need/want in regards to lie angle. I'm far away from needing to be really particular with components, as evidenced by my inconsistently during my fitting. But I do believe the shaft length increase, more appropriate flex and a comfortable grip will only help as I continue to work on my swing.

I don't have much useful to add except you aren't alone. Years ago I started taking lessons when I decided to try to be competent at golf. I started to improve after a few years of work and decided to have an actual fitting on a LM. The fitter's comment was I needed lessons pretty early on.... Kinda sucked but we went through it and some useful things came out of it. He swapped out my shafts since I don't swing fast and changed the lie angles on my clubs from +5 to, I think, +3. He also shortened them to standard. I kept at it with lessons and got decent with those clubs. I eventually had them bent to either -2 or -3 because of the swing changes I had made. That's one advantage of forged clubs, they are easier to bend. I don't think a cast head could have gone from +5 to -2 or 3 but I'm not expert.

I'm gaming those clubs still, 10 years later. I had a fitting last week since i'm looking to buy new irons and that guy is suggesting a slightly heavier shaft, I still swing slow, lol, and going to +1/2 an inch. Also standard lie angle. So things will change over time.

I think you have a decent plan to focus on the shaft, length and grip. I wouldn't go too crazy with the lie angle but the clubfitting subforum here may be a good place to ask for opinions if you want some. Standard may be the way to go, assuming you really don't need anything crazy like my original +5...

Good luck and keep at it. I wish I had your dedication!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrHateCoffee said:

6 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Totally agree with you guys in that the average person doesn't know how to get there but I don't think focusing on correct positions is the answer. If you ask most of these people to swing a baseball bat or throw a ball they actually do know how to move efficiently and athletically. There will always be exceptions and it may not be perfect but the point I was trying to make is that if you can throw a ball with a coordinated athletic motion you can do the same with a golf club. The problem I see with people taking lessons who focus on "getting in position" is that they are focusing so much on positions they forget how to actually throw the ball. 

• Like 2

I think the clubs will be helpful. 

I'm not quite as tall as you (6'5"), but I'm also kind of a bigger athletic guy, at 260#. Basically my build is that of someone who played HS/collegiate football at something like the LB/TE position and then let himself go quite a bit lol... (Note: I did not play HS/collegiate football.)

I was fit 20 years ago and ended up about +1.5" (5 iron at 39.5"). I think the fitter was trying to swingweight match my set, so I ended up with Nippon Pro 950 stiff shafts, lie +2*, and literally everything in my set is around the E0 swing weight, which is high. That's good in some ways because I'm a big guy, but as I've aged since then I wonder if my next set (hoping to get fit later this year after a course of lessons with Monte) will need to bring down that swing weight. I'm not sure I need +1.5" either.

So my question to you is whether your fitter really even talked about swing weight? 120g shafts at a +1.5" length could put you pretty high up there. That might actually be perfect for you BTW--as a former collegiate athlete you've likely got the strength to swing them. Just wondering if you actually were fitted with a +1.5" Dynamic Gold X100 in the club and know that it feels right. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

13 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I think the clubs will be helpful. 

I'm not quite as tall as you (6'5"), but I'm also kind of a bigger athletic guy, at 260#. Basically my build is that of someone who played HS/collegiate football at something like the LB/TE position and then let himself go quite a bit lol... (Note: I did not play HS/collegiate football.)

I was fit 20 years ago and ended up about +1.5" (5 iron at 39.5"). I think the fitter was trying to swingweight match my set, so I ended up with Nippon Pro 950 stiff shafts, lie +2*, and literally everything in my set is around the E0 swing weight, which is high. That's good in some ways because I'm a big guy, but as I've aged since then I wonder if my next set (hoping to get fit later this year after a course of lessons with Monte) will need to bring down that swing weight. I'm not sure I need +1.5" either.

So my question to you is whether your fitter really even talked about swing weight? 120g shafts at a +1.5" length could put you pretty high up there. That might actually be perfect for you BTW--as a former collegiate athlete you've likely got the strength to swing them. Just wondering if you actually were fitted with a +1.5" Dynamic Gold X100 in the club and know that it feels right. 

Thanks!!

Yeah, 1.5" over standard puts a 5i at 39.5" for me as well, based on Maltby's standard lengths.

I've got a pretty fast tempo and swing hard, so heavier clubs and swingweights are probably good for me in general, and a heavier overall club did feel good when testing. We did discuss and try a few setups with different swingweights. The setup we settled on, as I described above, with the TS-2 7i head in the DG 120 at plus 1.5", was right about D6 for swingweight, which felt good to me. Not sure how accurate the below linked swingweight calculator is, but it puts the same setup at D5.9. I punched in the numbers into the same calculator for what I think I'm going to go with from Maltby (DBM 7i head (268g) , FST125g shaft, 1-1/2" over standard and Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grip (66g)) and it comes in at D6.8. If I go with the FST 115g shaft it drops it back down to D5.9. So I think I'm right where I want to be based on those numbers. 

https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator/

As far as lie angle goes, my fitting was such a mess that we weren't able to evaluate this. I think I'm going to stick with standard here and adjust later if necessary.

• Like 1

No  surprise on fitting experience.   Inch and a half is a major, major change.  that alone will require time to adjust which just adds to the fitting experience.   I’ve had several and can recall in the first having similar experiences.     Same can happen at first lesson.    Just a new experience.   

so give yourself a bit of time to adapt to the new clubs before seeing monte.    Setup alone should feel very different but in a good way.   Playing with clubs way too short explains some of your struggles.

further adjustments , as noted, can be made.   I was fit for my current set but then when we moved to the smokies I went to a wishon guy (turns out he was at Carnegie Mellon when I was at Pitt and ended up in oak ridge while I landed at bell labs so we had the burgh connection going for us).   My irons were good ( he speculated in lie but I took them with me out toSD and stopped by Taylormade and talked with them about it and the fitter there said he thought they were good - I got Ernie els fitter - the pros have dedicated fitters - toured the Kingdom but bit pricey even for me - woo hoo.  But we cut an inch and a half off my driver and three wood and put in a better shaft for me - smash went from 1.4 to 1.48 - those stock drivers suck. Lol.   We counter weighted my putter too and that was a good thing.

Edited by glk
  • Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 hour ago, glk said:

No  surprise on fitting experience.   Inch and a half is a major, major change.  that alone will require time to adjust which just adds to the fitting experience.   I’ve had several and can recall in the first having similar experiences.     Same can happen at first lesson.    Just a new experience.   

so give yourself a bit of time to adapt to the new clubs before seeing monte.    Setup alone should feel very different but in a good way.   Playing with clubs way too short explains some of your struggles.

[snip]

This is very true. It's a big change and it will take some time to adjust. Smaller changes may be evident right away, such as what happen at the TM fitting I had at my club. They gave me a heavier shaft and +1/2 inch and I stopped thinning the ball and started to take divots again. It also straightened out my push miss. If they had started to mess with lie angle and made the club even longer, I'm sure i would have struggled.

There are a lot of variables in golf with a good chunk of them being in our heads. So after the fitting in 2009, I felt that my clubs were no longer an issue. Don't get me wrong, I didn't believe my clubs were all wrong but there was a bit of a question because they were so extreme. Also I had changed my swing in the intervening 4 years. So I had faith that my sticks were good for me. It removed any shadow of a doubt from my mind. It may sound dumb but having faith or belief in certain parts of the game, makes it easier, at least for me. Now, I have that little voice questioning my clubs again based off the TM fitting, lol. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't swung a club in over a week. Was on a fishing trip from Wednesday - Sunday last week and have spent the last few days "recovering", HA!! I did order a test club from Maltby last week. Went with the DBM 7i at 1-1/2" over standard (38-1/2") with a FTS 125 Pro shaft in X-stiff and a Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 midsize grip. The shaft and grip are currently on backorder, so it'll be another 2 weeks before I get my hands on it. But I wanted to be sure the FTS shaft was going to work for me before I ordered an entire set. I think it will be fine, but getting some swings in with it will help me make an informed decision.

I plan to get back to my evening routine of working on my swing in the house with foam balls. I also want to hit the range so I can hit real balls and get some real feedback. It's just tough finding the time with two little ones at home. I do have a tee time scheduled for the 10th of April. Zero expectations here, but still anxious to get a full round in to see how things go. Once I get worked out what I want for clubs, get them ordered and in I plan to setup a lesson with Monte. I want to give myself a chance to get comfortable with the new clubs before I get a lesson. 

• Like 1

I'm still at it. Been pretty busy lately, so haven't been swinging as much as previously. But things feel alright. I feel like I've worked pretty hard the past few months to try and gain a somewhat decent and repeatable swing. The decent part is debatable, but repeatable it has become. The "basics" of the NTC I feel like are pretty ingrained, for the most part. Not perfect by any means, but I find myself less and less creeping back into my old habits. I found a drill a few weeks ago for the downswing/transition/club shallowing. It's linked below. I gave it a try and it really nailed the feel of cast A for me. You cannot do this drill correctly without doing cast A of the NTC. It's funny how individually certain drills translate well and others are a waste of time.

I'm still waiting on my test club from Maltby to come in. I went with a DMB 7i at 38.5" with a FST Pro 125 shaft cut to spec for X-stiff and then extended to length. Components for this won't all be in until the end of the month now. So it's going to be awhile before I can give this club a go and see if that configuration is going to work for me. I'm basically replacing all my clubs, minus my driver, so I certainly don't want to rush the process. I'll be gaming my current set for awhile yet.

Currently the things I'm working on include...... 

- Weight transfer and hip rotation. This has been my biggest focus lately and at this point I feel like the biggest thing that will help me. I FINALLY got the weight transfer worked out awhile ago, but I was sliding forward way to much and not rotating the hips properly. Had a bit of a baseball swing in that I would shift and slide versus shift and rotate. This caused all sorts of problems that where brought to light during my fitting. When I properly transfer my weight to my lead foot and rotate through my hips without sliding everything feels much better. Just something I have to be conscious of. Have been working on a few drills here to help ingrain the feeling. 

-Cast B. My release is pretty late. Another thing that was pointed out to me during my fitting. I think my slide forward is partially to blame for this. I was sliding so far forward I HAD to stay back in order to even hit the ball. Partial swing drills have been the work for this.

-Grip. I started this process with a REALLY strong right hand grip. I switched to a more neutral grip and an overlap versus interlock. This is still something I have to focus on pre-swing as I tend to gravitate back towards the stronger grip. I'm also working on loosening my grip strength. Before I would say I had a grip strength of 8 or 9 out of 10. Have really been trying to loosen things up here.

I've got a tee time on Sunday for my first round of the year. Hoping to hit the range later this week beforehand. Minus working on some chipping and pitching in the back yard, I've still yet to hit a real ball.

Going to try and get a video up this week to document where I'm currently at. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That's a really good drill. Good luck on the course!

That drill has helped me get/understand cast A better than anything. The drill itself forces you to do the cast, but doing the drill in the process of the downswing gets other "feels" involved that for me just made more sense. When trying to do cast A itself it just wasn't working out very well. Very awkward. But this drill sort of put it all together for me and immediately helped with cast A.

Got some swings in last night focusing on the things I mentioned previously. Things are feeling pretty consistent. Sure, there are times when I skull a foam ball under the trampoline and then have to dig it out from under my freezer, or I hit one off the toe and send it flying across my rec room to bounce off everything. But these mishits are becoming far less frequent than say a month ago. One thing I am noticing is I'm now consistently missing left. More of a pull I would say. Before my miss was always right with a straight push or slice. Just interesting how it has now become a pull versus a push. Anxious to see some ball flight at the range or on the course.

Another thing I focused on last night was my tempo and transition. I've really slowed my backswing down and moderated my tempo into the downswing. I'm
not slinging it back hard and fast and then ripping it back into the downswing so aggressively. Overall I'm no longer swinging for the fences, basically. This has really balanced things out and made everything more consistent. It's the feeling of swinging maybe 75%, but I'm still swinging it hard. It was weird having the feeling of not swinging as "hard" yet still having just as good, if not better, contact and ball speed. Still swinging hard without swinging hard. Difficult to describe, but I'm sure you guys probably get what I'm saying. Hoping I can carry this over to my driver which I think will really help me be more consistent off the tee.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

That drill has helped me get/understand cast A better than anything. The drill itself forces you to do the cast, but doing the drill in the process of the downswing gets other "feels" involved that for me just made more sense. When trying to do cast A itself it just wasn't working out very well. Very awkward. But this drill sort of put it all together for me and immediately helped with cast A.

Got some swings in last night focusing on the things I mentioned previously. Things are feeling pretty consistent. Sure, there are times when I skull a foam ball under the trampoline and then have to dig it out from under my freezer, or I hit one off the toe and send it flying across my rec room to bounce off everything. But these mishits are becoming far less frequent than say a month ago. One thing I am noticing is I'm now consistently missing left. More of a pull I would say. Before my miss was always right with a straight push or slice. Just interesting how it has now become a pull versus a push. Anxious to see some ball flight at the range or on the course.

Another thing I focused on last night was my tempo and transition. I've really slowed my backswing down and moderated my tempo into the downswing. I'm
not slinging it back hard and fast and then ripping it back into the downswing so aggressively. Overall I'm no longer swinging for the fences, basically. This has really balanced things out and made everything more consistent. It's the feeling of swinging maybe 75%, but I'm still swinging it hard. It was weird having the feeling of not swinging as "hard" yet still having just as good, if not better, contact and ball speed. Still swinging hard without swinging hard. Difficult to describe, but I'm sure you guys probably get what I'm saying. Hoping I can carry this over to my driver which I think will really help me be more consistent off the tee.  

That's great progress. Driver will probably be last to toe the line, so don't get downhearted. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That's great progress. Driver will probably be last to toe the line, so don't get downhearted. 

Thanks. I'm just hoping I can corral my more moderated tempo swing across the bag.  I've been working on this a bit for awhile, but last night was sort of a light bulb moment in regards to my tempo. Something I think will really help me progress.

45 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. I'm just hoping I can corral my more moderated tempo swing across the bag.  I've been working on this a bit for awhile, but last night was sort of a light bulb moment in regards to my tempo. Something I think will really help me progress.

I'd like to see it. A properly sequenced swing will feel slower because the fastest route to the ball seems to be directly down to it, but a proper swing is on an arch, so it's counterintuitive to go back and out before going down to the ball. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I'd like to see it. A properly sequenced swing will feel slower because the fastest route to the ball seems to be directly down to it, but a proper swing is on an arch, so it's counterintuitive to go back and out before going down to the ball. 

This makes sense, and in a way is what I've been feeling with the wall drill. It's helping me come down versus out. And I think my slower tempo is by default reinforcing this. It's tough to do this while ripping it back down to hard/aggressive.

I'll try and get some video shortly.

Took some video last night. Didn't realize it, but it's been over a month since I videoed my swing. It's funny because you feel like things are REALLY changing, but then watch it back on video and sometimes what you are feeling hasn't change at all or very little. 

Overall I think my swing is looking pretty decent, especially compared with where I started. Some pros and cons from my own, unprofessional, observation.......

Pros - Improved tempo (slower/more controlled), proper wrist positioning/hinge, good shaft angle through P3, no overrun and not overly long at top of backswing, better weight shift, cast A is getting better as well as shallowing the club, less sliding and better hip rotation through contact.

Cons - Takeaway is creeping back inside, still coming out/over the top a bit during transition, still sliding hips too much at times, crappy follow through, struggling to maintain a more neutral grip and keep creeping back towards a strong right hand.

Could dissect the videos even more, but these are the big takeaways to my eyes. My follow through is something I cannot figure out. Instead of following through long and towards the target, it's short and towards left field. I can practice swing long and deliberate, kind of stiff armed, and have a great follow through. Just can't figure out what's causing it to be so bad during a normal swing. Something I need to work out. 

Anxious to get my test club in from Maltby. Want to get some swings in with it and get fairly comfortable with the extra length. Then it'll be time for a lesson with Monte. Really looking forward to that!!     

It's looking better. Your hands are getting a bit too deep though. At P3 you want them to really be in the middle of your torso. The position you're in makes it difficult not to get stuck and even though your transition is WAY better, you're still having to come OTT because you haven't created enough room for your arms. 

Edit: creating more room will allow you to release better too. At the moment you're steering it a bit, which is evidenced by how quickly your arms fold after impact.

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It's looking better. Your hands are getting a bit too deep though. At P3 you want them to really be in the middle of your torso. The position you're in makes it difficult not to get stuck and even though your transition is WAY better, you're still having to come OTT because you haven't created enough room for your arms. 

Edit: creating more room will allow you to release better too. At the moment you're steering it a bit, which is evidenced by how quickly your arms fold after impact.

Thanks. This is definitely an old habit. When I look back at where I started my hands came back SO deep it was more like a baseball swing than a golf swing. It probably starts with my takeaway given that I bring it inside a bit too much. I'll start there and see if it doesn't help with my position at P3. 

What do you mean by steering? And yes, my release and the folding of my arms after impact is really bugging me. Can't figure out why/how that's happening.

37 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. This is definitely an old habit. When I look back at where I started my hands came back SO deep it was more like a baseball swing than a golf swing. It probably starts with my takeaway given that I bring it inside a bit too much. I'll start there and see if it doesn't help with my position at P3. 

What do you mean by steering? And yes, my release and the folding of my arms after impact is really bugging me. Can't figure out why/how that's happening.

You just need to feel like your hands move out away from the torso a little at P2 as you turn.

Steering is not releasing the club fully. Go look at almost any tour pro at P7 and you'll see that they're fully extended. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You just need to feel like your hands move out away from the torso a little at P2 as you turn.

Steering is not releasing the club fully. Go look at almost any tour pro at P7 and you'll see that they're fully extended. 

Thanks.

Now that you say that, I do get the feeling that I don't fully release the club. It's almost like a feeling of being held back/tied up. Similar to being "sawed off" on an inside pitch with a baseball swing. Makes sense to me know. I'll try and work on that some this evening. 

1 minute ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks.

Now that you say that, I do get the feeling that I don't fully release the club. It's almost like a feeling of being held back/tied up. Similar to being "sawed off" on an inside pitch with a baseball swing. Makes sense to me know. I'll try and work on that some this evening. 

Don't work on it. Work on P3. When you have room to swing your arms freely it'll probably fix itself. The downswing is all reaction.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Don't work on it. Work on P3. When you have room to swing your arms freely it'll probably fix itself. The downswing is all reaction.

Got it, makes sense.

Am I thinking right in that it's similar to trying to hit a way inside pitch in baseball and getting "sawed off"? That's the feeling I have. When that happens you're not fully extending your swing and bringing your arms in to try and hit the inside pitch. 

It makes sense that if I give myself room, like you said, I can then get fully extended at impact.  and everything else should follow as it should. Thanks for turning on the light bulb in my head!! 

26 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Got it, makes sense.

Am I thinking right in that it's similar to trying to hit a way inside pitch in baseball and getting "sawed off"? That's the feeling I have. When that happens you're not fully extending your swing and bringing your arms in to try and hit the inside pitch. 

It makes sense that if I give myself room, like you said, I can then get fully extended at impact.  and everything else should follow as it should. Thanks for turning on the light bulb in my head!! 

Never played baseball - I'm in the UK. 🙂

Your current release is a result of what goes before. Fix the rest and it generally sorts itself out. 

• Thanks 1