2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Need help! Driving 4 Iron or regular 4 iron

tj1391

Hello, long time lurker here 

I am about a 3 hdcp. Driver swing speed 104 mph. I currently game a pxg 3 hybrid with the hzrdus smoke 80 g shaft and mizuno JPX 919 Hot metal pros with the kbs c taper lite stiff 110s 

my question is about my 4 iron, ideally I would like something I can hit low if it is windy off the tee. I am looking at getting the pxg gen 2 driving iron in 4 with the smoke 80 g shaft. I don’t use my 4 iron too much for approach shots. Do you think

1. I should look at a driving iron if this seems reasonable to replace my HMP 4 Iron

2. Would you get steel or graphite shaft in the driving iron

3. is it reasonable to hit it off the fairway also? 

Edited by tj1391

If you are looking for something to hit off the tee and keep low the driving iron is the way to go. I have both a driving 4i and my set matching 4i. I will play one depending on weather or length of the course. Like you mentioned my set 4i I can launch and get to land softly whereas the driving iron is more for off the tee. I prefer graphite personally but think it is also what you would prefer. I feel with graphite I have more control and feel when it comes to flighting or shaping shots. The main reason I don't play solely the driving iron is because it is a little more chunky and not as appealing to the eye from the fairway.

• Like 1

I have a Gen 1 0811X 4 iron, but put a graphite shaft in it to make it a bit more versatile.  I'd have to think if I had the same steel shafts in it as my irons, it would be a stinger-special.  I find myself needing it of the deck a few times a round, so I wanted a little more launch.  Been a great club for me.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

I didn't think regular 4i's were that hard to hit low in the first place.  I have toyed with the same idea of over thinking my bag, but found no real difference at the end of the day in total performance between the 2 to justify the added cost when I already have the 4i. 

Obviously if ordering a new set that is 5i down, then it's a bit different.  I hit a decent number of 4i's off the tee given the short nature of some of the courses in the area and never stood over the ball thinking 'gee, I sure wish I had a 4 di in my hands'.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I find this contrary to my setup (although I have this situation in the 3I). I have a 3I matching my set, and a U45 utility iron in similar degree. I find that for low shots under the wind, I am more effective with my normal 3I. So on windy days, I am more prone to put the 3I in the bag. I feel that the hollow U45 has a tendency to fly higher and land softer, hence more suitable for calm days.

I have a same shaft in both clubs.

I have a PXG 0311T as my 4i with the same shaft as my irons.  I get more forgiveness and more penetrating flight than my irons but can still hit it low and off the turf if I need to. I tried the gen1 0311X, p790 (closest to staying in the bag of the failures), OG UDI, hybrids, Apex UT, GAPR Lo, and my set 4i but none would give me the confidence or flexibility that the 0311T does.  The p790 was close but it was finicky hitting off turf for me.  I think it was the offset and sole shape that just didn't work for me. If you only need a tee club, the p790 was the best of the bunch for me.  

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I think it all depends on a few factors. I have a UDI that I use primarily off the tee, however, I can hit it from the fairway and light rough if I do something silly like top my drive or hit a gopher hunter that leaves me really far out.

Mine originally came with a CT Taper lite and I hated the feel, I tried to match my iron set using a KBS Tour V Shaft at one point and I didnt really enjoy the feel either. Someone suggest a SteelFiber and it has been money. I have a friend who has a graphite shaft (cant remember if its a fairway shaft or 3wood shaft cut down) but he loves it. His only complaint is its hard for him to hit a low bullet, not sure if thats shaft or just user error (i think user error), but luckily its one club so trying a few different shafts wont break your bank.

One thing I love about using a driving iron is they are great for low punch shots out of the woods where you need some distance on it, I truly enjoy using the UDI for those.

If you dont often use the 4iron, I don't see how it could hurt to experiment a little bit with a driving iron.

Edited by Circaflex

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

You have me about +12 MPH on driver CHS, but here's what I did.

Took the set 4i (22*) and reshafted it with a 75 gr. SteelFiber hybrid shaft with a somewhat firm tip. I use it as a driving iron on tight holes where a driver is too much club, or longish par 3 holes. I get a fairly low, hot draw. I can hit it off the fairway for approaches into the wind.

Pick a single 4-ironish club. Would it help if you softtipped the set 4i?

And, as a 3 HDCP, can you develop a stinger shot? (basically, my 4i is a stinger club... with more friendly clubheads, it's rough sometimes to get off a low shot)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 1/14/2021 at 11:32 AM, tj1391 said:

I am about a 3 hdcp. Driver swing speed 104 mph. I currently game a pxg 3 hybrid with the hzrdus smoke 80 g shaft and mizuno JPX 919 Hot metal pros with the kbs c taper lite stiff 110s 

my question is about my 4 iron, ideally I would like something I can hit low if it is windy off the tee. I am looking at getting the pxg gen 2 driving iron in 4 with the smoke 80 g shaft. I don’t use my 4 iron too much for approach shots. Do you think

1. I should look at a driving iron if this seems reasonable to replace my HMP 4 Iron

I am going through the exact selection process right now but for my 3 iron (or replacement) as I play on windy links style course.

So here are my findings so far.

1. Driving iron is good replacement for 4 iron. However, if you are using 80g shaft in your 3 hybrid, I would consider 90g shaft for your 4 driving iron. It will bring the ball down during windy days with more piercing flight.

2. Graphite shaft in driving iron in my personal experience. You will regret with steel shaft unless you really have the swing speed for it. The driving iron head feels much heavier than the regular iron so it will really feel like a lot of work swinging with steel shaft.

3. Yes, I am using the driving iron off the tee as well as on the fairway. However, I find the driving irons less forgiving than hybrids but more forgiving that an actual iron with stats somewhere in between the two (height, spin rate etc).

Currently looking into #3 Srixon ZX UDI but can't settle on the shaft as fitting .37 shaft will be a bit of customisation and extra cost. 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

• 1 year later...

I took a 4i hot metal pro bent to 19* put a 6 iron length shaft in it and use it off the tee for a fairway finder. I hit it low straight and get a ton of roll finishes out around 220 to 240 yards depending on how firm the fairway is. This has been a game changing club for me. My set 4i is 22*

Driver 9.5

4W 16.5

4i DI

4-PW

50*-56*

Putter

Still only have 13 clubs in the bag may put a lob wedge in but I took it out a couple of years ago. It cost me more strokes than it was worth having it in the bag. So F*** it. 

On 1/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, setter02 said:

I didn't think regular 4i's were that hard to hit low in the first place.  I have toyed with the same idea of over thinking my bag, but found no real difference at the end of the day in total performance between the 2 to justify the added cost when I already have the 4i. 

Obviously if ordering a new set that is 5i down, then it's a bit different.  I hit a decent number of 4i's off the tee given the short nature of some of the courses in the area and never stood over the ball thinking 'gee, I sure wish I had a 4 di in my hands'.

This man knows.

I like to think the set 4 iron has consistency benefits too.  Same looks, swingweight, and feel as what you’re used to.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, tj1391 said:

Not sure if this answers question at all, but I feel like regular irons should start around 24 degrees (old 3 iron). For very slow swing speeds, maybe 28.

Then go to utility or hybrid starting at 20-21, which is the old 2 iron.

In the bag:

9 Degree BOM w/ Aldila NVS 65

17 Degree BOM 4 Wood w/ Aldila NVS 65

21 Degree Dynacraft Utility Iron

4-PW, 52, 56, 60 Alpha MDC Irons & Wedges w/ Apollo Acculite 95 Shafts

Star Sidewinder Midsize Grips

32” Callaway Divine Line Putter