2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Porzak Golf lessons

LowAndLeft32

I used to have a local pro I loved but he moved out of town a year or so ago. Since then I’ve been flailing around a bit, trying different feels and continuously on this emotional pendulum between excited and suicidal about my golf swing. 

Lately I’ve been digesting a lot of Porzak’s content. It’s the closest thing I’ve found to what my old pro had me working on which suggests it’s what I need to be doing.

All the concepts seem simple and repeatable and I can execute everything I’ve tried from him so far. 

I think I’m going to commit to the Porzak method and try to ignore everything else for awhile. I’ll start with the free content and consider the paid content if I have more questions. But so far even the most basic stuff from Porzak about setup and ball position, keeping my swing in front of me, etc is really helping my ball striking.

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I got in a few practice sessions and a couple of nine hole rounds this week while applying ideas pulled from a bunch of Porzak's free content on YouTube. I really like what I'm seeing so far in terms of ball flight and control. It's helped me neutralize my path and start trusting my swing more. 

I'm drawn to the idea that it can be as simple as getting set up correctly, making a perfect takeaway and then a good turn. This whole method is based around avoiding the need for compensations in the hands, arms, etc. I like that. 

My natural curiosity leads me to run down a lot of rabbit holes and I end up digesting conflicting information or ideas I can't resist trying on the range even though it often leads me astray. I gotta recognize that golf instruction is an industry and I've been an easy mark. 

As far as the free vs. the paid content I can only speculate.

All the free content is captured during live lessons and each video covers one concept being applied to a specific student. You can harvest a ton of information from these if you have the time. I assume that the paid videos are a little more step-by-step, which could be a more efficient way of getting the same information.  

I'm more likely to keep experimenting and trying to groove the setup and takeaway feelings and see where it takes me. I'd be more inclined to do a remote lesson with one of the Porzak guys than to buy a video subscription. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 10/13/2022 at 4:16 AM, leezer99 said:

GG is $1,000 / hr now and every time I go to that range his area is packed with students and helpers. Not sure how his lessons work but there seems to be a cameraman, two other guys helping out each lesson and then GG sitting in his lawn chair watching the TM numbers. Last time I was there for 2+ hours and he didn't get up out of his chair one time.

Good for GG! That is awesome. He is a coaching genius. Not getting out of your chair? That seems a little weird. Perhaps he had on new Prada's and didn't want to get them scuffed up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HitSomeMissSome said:

Good for GG! That is awesome. He is a coaching genius. Not getting out of your chair? That seems a little weird. Perhaps he had on new Prada's and didn't want to get them scuffed up.

I’m cool with him making the coin. The lessons seem hectic to me. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

12 hours ago, X-Factor said:

How long are the five videos for $499.  Is it better than the free content available on youtube?  Any reviews from people who have bought the full swing videos?

Factoring out the "fluff" (intros and other cosmetics), the pure concrete info is ~ 30 minutes on setup, and ~ 17-20 minutes each, on the other four areas.

Keep in mind, it might not sound long, but it's packed with a lot of detailed, solid information.  I spent 5 hours over two days on the range/course with Adam, and while quite helpful, the amount of information transferred was not even close to what's in all the videos. By design, and this would be true of all instructors, live lessons are a deep dive into one area in terms of practice/drills, that one area either you want to work on and/or the instructor feels you need to focus on your long road to improvement.  

The video series is like the companion encyclopedia to be used as reference.  And I don't mean to make the videos sound too dense; they are very well produced, easy to follow/understand, and do a great job of the old  presentation philosophy - tell them what you are going to tell them about, tell them about it, then tell them what you just told them about.  

When I compare these videos to your typical instruction video on YouTube.  Almost all instructors are all over the place within the video and it's supposed to be on one subject!  They talk way too much off the main point, over explain in some areas while under explaining in others, and do not put a lot of time in the editing.  The better ones keep the videos between 5-10 minutes and follow the same structure in almost all their videos.  The Porzak videos are quite detailed, not overwhelmingly so, but enough that you need to watch them repeatedly over time to let all all soak in.  Every time I re-watch one of the videos I find myself either picking up on a new detail, or more often thinking oh right, I forgot about that.

There are not a lot of drills, a few key ones, but not a ton.  The YouTube videos have more drills, particularly with alignment sticks.

The Porzak YouTube content is pretty much all done in the context of a live lesson, which is really good stuff for many reasons.  So it has all his teaching principles, but again, the lessons are focusing on one area.  You could go to the Porzak channel, and if you just watched the videos in his "backswing" and "downswing" playlists (about 80 videos in all); there is probably 75% overlap with his Masterclass, but you have to figure out which video has which nugget and sequence all those nuggets whereas the Masterclass is neatly packaged in sequence, with all the details, no live lessons, and focus on building the swing.

Good luck!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Factoring out the "fluff" (intros and other cosmetics), the pure concrete info is ~ 30 minutes on setup, and ~ 17-20 minutes each, on the other four areas.

Keep in mind, it might not sound long, but it's packed with a lot of detailed, solid information.  I spent 5 hours over two days on the range/course with Adam, and while quite helpful, the amount of information transferred was not even close to what's in all the videos. By design, and this would be true of all instructors, live lessons are a deep dive into one area in terms of practice/drills, that one area either you want to work on and/or the instructor feels you need to focus on your long road to improvement.  

The video series is like the companion encyclopedia to be used as reference.  And I don't mean to make the videos sound too dense; they are very well produced, easy to follow/understand, and do a great job of the old  presentation philosophy - tell them what you are going to tell them about, tell them about it, then tell them what you just told them about.  

When I compare these videos to your typical instruction video on YouTube.  Almost all instructors are all over the place within the video and it's supposed to be on one subject!  They talk way too much off the main point, over explain in some areas while under explaining in others, and do not put a lot of time in the editing.  The better ones keep the videos between 5-10 minutes and follow the same structure in almost all their videos.  The Porzak videos are quite detailed, not overwhelmingly so, but enough that you need to watch them repeatedly over time to let all all soak in.  Every time I re-watch one of the videos I find myself either picking up on a new detail, or more often thinking oh right, I forgot about that.

There are not a lot of drills, a few key ones, but not a ton.  The YouTube videos have more drills, particularly with alignment sticks.

The Porzak YouTube content is pretty much all done in the context of a live lesson, which is really good stuff for many reasons.  So it has all his teaching principles, but again, the lessons are focusing on one area.  You could go to the Porzak channel, and if you just watched the videos in his "backswing" and "downswing" playlists (about 80 videos in all); there is probably 75% overlap with his Masterclass, but you have to figure out which video has which nugget and sequence all those nuggets whereas the Masterclass is neatly packaged in sequence, with all the details, no live lessons, and focus on building the swing.

Good luck!

Same can be said for Ben Hogans books which are 9.99. Whatever happened to books or full instructional dvd's costing at most $50. 

On 3/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, MK7Golf21 said:

Same can be said for Ben Hogans books which are 9.99. Whatever happened to books or full instructional dvd's costing at most $50. 

Probably the same thing that happened to five cent movie tickets. 

• Haha 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 10/9/2022 at 9:54 PM, kobe123 said:

The website says it's $49.00 a month and a 12 month minimum? 

image.png.3fb076606fe1d3fb8b10db88d21a439f.png

The Group Video Calls are now quarterly, per the website. Not sure that's anything that I'd participate in anyway. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

Probably the same thing that happened to five cent movie tickets. 

Hogans book costs 9.99 in 2023. I bought two full length instructional video series in 2015 for $50-70 from Chris Como and another from Sean Foley via revolution golf. Both covered everything in the swing from setup to full swing. Believe that was the last time I have bought any instructional video content series.

I guess $500 is the new standard now, however, these guys are from San Diego where a glass of water from Starbucks is a few hundred. No way I would pay $500 for a couple 15-20 minute youtube videos.

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

I guess $500 is the new standard now, however, these guys are from San Diego where a glass of water from Starbucks is a few hundred. No way I would pay $500 for a couple 15-20 minute youtube videos.

In that case I would strongly recommend that you don't. 🤙

I think most pros with a fully-booked lesson tee and a wide enough reach are going to price these things off their lesson rate. If they're getting $400/hour all day long they don't want to undercut themselves by offering all the same information for $50. 

Also, like that cup of Starbucks coffee, the price you set for an item has a huge impact on its perceived value. We humans are simple creatures. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

I think most pros with a fully-booked lesson tee and a wide enough reach are going to price these things off their lesson rate. If they're getting $400/hour all day long they don't want to undercut themselves by offering all the same information for $50. 

Also, like that cup of Starbucks coffee, the price you set for an item has a huge impact on its perceived value. We humans are simple creatures. 

an in person private lesson and a youtube video aren't in the same ballpark. I've got Butch Harmons dvd from a few years ago, wonder how much he is an hour. 

I don't really care, just throwing my opinion out there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, me05501 said:

His hourly rate should'nt have to do that much with the price of his videos, would the value of these videos be worth more than e.g 5 100$ lessons from a decent pro? It's just the same business model as GG had, profiting off hype. I'm sure Adam is a great coach but all these guys showing minor changes to extremely talented youngsters and trying to market their content to a well to do (much older) demographic desperate to improve just seems so sketchy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ezpz said:

His hourly rate should'nt have to do that much with the price of his videos, would the value of these videos be worth more than e.g 5 100$ lessons from a decent pro? It's just the same business model as GG had, profiting off hype. I'm sure Adam is a great coach but all these guys showing minor changes to extremely talented youngsters and trying to market their content to a well to do (much older) demographic desperate to improve just seems so sketchy. 

I totally disagree that a pro’s paid video offering and their in-person rate aren’t intrinsically related. They should be complementary. 

He’s got people coming from all over to take up spots on his lesson tee to the point that there are apparently three guys coaching under him at lower rates. One assumes there must be a lot of inquiries from people who can’t find a convenient window to book and/or can’t travel to San Diego for a few days. It makes sense to have something to offer those customers. 

Let’s say you have a line of people with their wallets out ready to pay your very high rate but you’ve run out of time and can’t make more. These inquiries are from people willing spend hundreds if not thousands for access. Why would you sell them your intellectual property for the cost of a nice lunch? I sure wouldn’t. 

Having digested a ton of his content I can say that viewers are encouraged to subscribe to his YT, Insta and other social channels, but I’ve never once been pitched on buying his program. It seems apparent that one can get all the information via the free access. Only people who don’t have the time to sift through all of that are likely to buy the $499 “cut to the chase” package. 

From a practical standpoint, I think anyone offering a paid tier is probably getting a ton of emails and other contacts asking for “just a little help,” and that’s true regardless of the price point. I’d imagine having a lot more patience with that stuff if I knew I’d been adequately compensated on the front end. 

All of this is more analysis than defense. Sounds like most of us on this thread aren’t likely to pick up the paid tier and that’s okay. Maybe it’s not aimed at us. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I too have taken lessons from his partner Mike, he’s a little cheaper and more available. He knows and teaches the same way, almost even says the same phrases as him 😂. Info was great, I learned a lot, I would say he created a great foundation for me as I was still new to the game, I probably seen him once a week for a month and a half. Matt Nicolle on the opposite side of the range is excellent as well and has trackman data and has great knowledge. (I’ve been around 🤣) Can’t go wrong with a Porzak session.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, me05501 said:

I totally disagree that a pro’s paid video offering and their in-person rate aren’t intrinsically related. They should be complementary. 

He’s got people coming from all over to take up spots on his lesson tee to the point that there are apparently three guys coaching under him at lower rates. One assumes there must be a lot of inquiries from people who can’t find a convenient window to book and/or can’t travel to San Diego for a few days. It makes sense to have something to offer those customers. 

Let’s say you have a line of people with their wallets out ready to pay your very high rate but you’ve run out of time and can’t make more. These inquiries are from people willing spend hundreds if not thousands for access. Why would you sell them your intellectual property for the cost of a nice lunch? I sure wouldn’t. 

Having digested a ton of his content I can say that viewers are encouraged to subscribe to his YT, Insta and other social channels, but I’ve never once been pitched on buying his program. It seems apparent that one can get all the information via the free access. Only people who don’t have the time to sift through all of that are likely to buy the $499 “cut to the chase” package. 

From a practical standpoint, I think anyone offering a paid tier is probably getting a ton of emails and other contacts asking for “just a little help,” and that’s true regardless of the price point. I’d imagine having a lot more patience with that stuff if I knew I’d been adequately compensated on the front end. 

All of this is more analysis than defense. Sounds like most of us on this thread aren’t likely to pick up the paid tier and that’s okay. Maybe it’s not aimed at us. 

What you are saying makes sense for sure, but what I'm mostly thinking about is: Is it worth the 500 asked? When compared to other optiona. I love the simplicity of Adams content but business wise I just got spooked when Gabe Writer appeared to be behind the whole content thing (don't know if he still is) and pretty much transplanted the business he had with GG to porzak golf.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, HitSomeMissSome said:

I wonder how many people are actually paying that?  A lot of his Instagram stuff are all these young up and coming players I doubt they are paying anything at all so he makes it up on the rest of us suckers!

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

On 3/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, webber said:

I wonder how many people are actually paying that?  A lot of his Instagram stuff are all these young up and coming players I doubt they are paying anything at all so he makes it up on the rest of us suckers!

I wonder if some of the lessons Porzak gives to college players are subsidized by the schools, or if they’re even allowed to do that. Do scholarship golfers get a budget for private lessons? 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

I wonder if some of the lessons Porzak gives to college players are subsidized by the schools, or if they’re even allowed to do that. Do scholarship golfers get a budget for private lessons? 

I've never heard of any of my students getting a stipend. The parents are typically still happy to pay… since the alternative is to pay for college instead. 😉

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 3/21/2023 at 1:28 AM, ezpz said:

What you are saying makes sense for sure, but what I'm mostly thinking about is: Is it worth the 500 asked? When compared to other optiona. I love the simplicity of Adams content but business wise I just got spooked when Gabe Writer appeared to be behind the whole content thing (don't know if he still is) and pretty much transplanted the business he had with GG to porzak golf.

Nice theory, but completely untrue.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm continuing to practice using the intents of the Porzak stuff and starting to find it. I feel I'm starting to minimize the inside suck at takeaway and I'm making really sweet contact with my irons when it all comes together. Good distance with irons and good stats on Trackman. I feel like I'm learning to keep my hands in front of my chest. 

I probably need to video this swing to see whether I'm actually doing what it feels like I'm doing. That's always a rude awakening. But based on contact, ball flight and distance I'm feeling good. 

Driver? It's okay, but not nearly as clean as irons. I'm sure it'll take more time to get the right dynamics with a 45" long club than an 8 iron. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 11 months later...

It’s now $500 and $300.  Got this this morning. 

Thanks for reaching out! We’d love to help you with your game!

We have two instructors, Adam and Mike. Adam is $500/hr and Mike is $300/hr. They pride themselves on being two of the most consistent coaches on the planet so no matter who you chose to see you will be sure to get everything you need! 

We teach at 

The Heights Golf Club 

16066 Bernardo Heights Pkwy, 

San Diego, CA 92128

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is a day or time that works best for you and I'd be happy to help find a time and get something booked!

We have two instructors, Adam and Mike. Adam is $500/hr and Mike is $300/hr. They pride themselves on being two of the most consistent coaches on the planet so no matter who you chose to see you will be sure to get everything you need! 

We teach at 

The Heights Golf Club 

San Diego, CA 92128

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is a day or time that works best for you and I'd be happy to help find a time and get something booked!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Wogsgolf said:

It’s now $500 and $300.  Got this this morning. 

We teach at 

The Heights Golf Club 

San Diego, CA 92128

We teach at 

The Heights Golf Club 

San Diego, CA 92128

Good for them. That is a lot of money for one hour. I'm not sure I could get my money's worth from one session, but you know...supply and demand. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS