What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

Shot a 94 (+23) playing Old Bridge GC, a new course that opened up last year. 

20240329_123757.jpg.ce83503c042a2235afac57fbafa7fb8c.jpg

It really wasn't that cold at the low 50s °F with the sun out but the wind was brutal with gusts at 40 MPH requiring a 3 club adjustment and being forced to hit low stingers. 

Having the short game yips on the first 5 holes of the front nine wasn't helpful either but I'm thankful that I got to play a brand new course. 

20240329_215117.jpg.3059fe9a7f8e66046dc01c57566452c1.jpg

Water is in play on at least 7 of the holes so the course provided a good enough challenge for me to help me get rid of my mental gremlins that has been plaguing me recently.

Thankfully, I had no water balls but had two close calls with Lady Luck smiling on me this time around as my ball stayed up instead of trickling down into the water hazard. 

The greens weren't fully grown in with a sand layer filling in to smooth out the surface so it was an adjustment for me. 

Anyway, I was still proud of myself to be able to right the ship a little bit on the back nine with a good string of Pars while the wind was at its strongest. 

Another quirk playing newly opened courses like this track is that it seems that most of the pins were stuck to the cup.

I always bring my multi-tool with me and I was able to twist and remove some of the pins but some were so stuck that it was impossible. 

In fact, on the first hole, my putt for Bogey bounced out after hitting the pin because I was unable to remove it which really p****d me off. 🤬👹👿👺🤯😡

On a positive note, my best shot of the day was my 119 yard shot into the Par 3 15th (see pic below) with a water hazard in front from the Forward tees.

20240329_142906.jpg.2a23828cdbecda2f86392cf61be810cf.jpg

Due to the gusty wind conditions, I played it as a low flight sawed-off 150 yard shot with my 7H that thankfully found the green 45 feet away from the hole for my only GIR and Par out of the five Par 3 holes from this track. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Thanks 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

41(+6, 2 doubles and 2 bogey's) and 37(+2, 3 bogey's and a bird) for 78. Most rounds for me are this way, higher front 9.  Doesn't matter how many balls I hit to warm up, I don't start flushing the shots until the back 9.  First round since December. Tee ball wasn't doing well at all. Dormant Bermuda got in my head for some reason. Kept thinking I was going to lay over the sod if I took a divot. Thin shots actually didn't hurt my scores as bad because I can still get up and down easily for tap in's.  First time ever for me to have a few range sessions in the cold months. 2 simulator places in town kept me a little more loose starting the season.

Played on Good Friday for the 1st time since January.  Was a bit rough, 96, couple lost balls, several fat shots and a 10 on a par 4.  But I did have a few good shots.  I have got to do something to get my driver right.  It is easily my worst club in my bag.  

Edited by dugue4

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

First round of the year in Michigan.  39 on par 35 front nine.  Two birdies, four bogies and a DB on the finishing hole. Hit a pin flag on the par 3 eighth hole. Had hopes it dropped directly down, but about 18’ directly back from hole. Sunk the putt.  🙂

Too many thin short irons followed by amazing recoveries to my liking. Driver was way too inconsistent and realized what I was doing wrong on the drive home.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Shot a 95 (+23) playing Spook Rock GC yesterday for the first time. I traveled 45 miles which was 39 miles out of my normal route from my home course at Eisenhower Park.

20240405_194010_001.jpg.a8e807ae19b7ba5519e1d8d963e38a85.jpg

Had a couple of 4 putts and several triple bogeys but was still a bit happy with my lone birdie after hitting a FIR but blocked my second shot using driver off-the-deck into the right rough.

20240407_132044.jpg.4883c5c520890fe1f51b0f936567b04d.jpg

Had an excellent 8-iron to 12 feet and drained it with a firm putt for a satisfying birdie. 

I'm gonna chalk up my double bogey on the first to the after shocks of the 4.8 quake we had earlier in the AM. 

Mother Nature was definitely not happy that day, with the earthquake as well as hail and alternating periods of rain and sunshine throughout the afternoon that kept me guessing how the weather was gonna turn out. 

Anyway, I'd rate my overall performance as substandard even though my driving was solid except for the cold top on the first.

My iron play was sketchy at best with the yips returning and my putting was inconsistent on the back with several mental lapses. 

Edited by Golfbit2X

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Paid to play 18 at Warren Valley in Dearborn, MI.  It’s a public Donald Ross course, so I was looking forward to it.  We had an inauspicious start due to a slow backup at the first tee, setting the tone for the round.  2.5 hour front nine, waiting on every tee box and shot.  

Course was super saturated and plugging balls everywhere easily. Ended up shooting bogie golf because no reasonable pace could be established.  Left after the nine as I’d had my fill of the place.  I won’t be back.

TM Spider GT-X putter

On 3/30/2024 at 12:53 PM, Golfbit2X said:

Shot a 94 (+23) playing Old Bridge GC, a new course that opened up last year. 

20240329_123757.jpg.ce83503c042a2235afac57fbafa7fb8c.jpg

It really wasn't that cold at the low 50s °F with the sun out but the wind was brutal with gusts at 40 MPH requiring a 3 club adjustment and being forced to hit low stingers. 

Having the short game yips on the first 5 holes of the front nine wasn't helpful either but I'm thankful that I got to play a brand new course. 

20240329_215117.jpg.3059fe9a7f8e66046dc01c57566452c1.jpg

Water is in play on at least 7 of the holes so the course provided a good enough challenge for me to help me get rid of my mental gremlins that has been plaguing me recently.

Thankfully, I had no water balls but had two close calls with Lady Luck smiling on me this time around as my ball stayed up instead of trickling down into the water hazard. 

The greens weren't fully grown in with a sand layer filling in to smooth out the surface so it was an adjustment for me. 

Anyway, I was still proud of myself to be able to right the ship a little bit on the back nine with a good string of Pars while the wind was at its strongest. 

Another quirk playing newly opened courses like this track is that it seems that most of the pins were stuck to the cup.

I always bring my multi-tool with me and I was able to twist and remove some of the pins but some were so stuck that it was impossible. 

In fact, on the first hole, my putt for Bogey bounced out after hitting the pin because I was unable to remove it which really p****d me off. 🤬👹👿👺🤯😡

On a positive note, my best shot of the day was my 119 yard shot into the Par 3 15th (see pic below) with a water hazard in front from the Forward tees.

20240329_142906.jpg.2a23828cdbecda2f86392cf61be810cf.jpg

Due to the gusty wind conditions, I played it as a low flight sawed-off 150 yard shot with my 7H that thankfully found the green 45 feet away from the hole for my only GIR and Par out of the five Par 3 holes from this track. 

Holy hell dude - is that Old Bridge NJ? I live in Monmouth County - have heard local people talking about that new course. It's owned by the Municipality and run by a management company or something? What's the course like - compared to Hominy, or Pebble Creek, or other local courses (just curious)?

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Okay - I'm gonna make an admission that will probably get me laughed at on WRX (but I'm too old to not be honest).

I shot a 91 today. The first time in years I didn't even break 90 (usually high 70s - mid 80s). Yeah, it was a bit chilly, and I am shaking off winter rust, but this was something different.

I know golf is always at least a little bit about random luck. Good and bad luck, however, generally even themselves out in the long run. But have you ever had a round when it was freaking all bad breaks? Three different holes I wound up behind a tree. A yard left or right and I have a clear shot at the green, but instead had to waste a stroke. Landed in two divots. Totally flushed an iron (was thinking "perfect shot") bounces once, hits the flagstick, and careens wildly sideways into a freaking pond - what should have been a birdie chance turned into a double. And to make matters even worse? I'm playing with guys that aren't that good. We are mostly greenside, and one guy goes "I got a new 60*, stand back I'm trying it for the first time." I was, like, 20' right of where he was aiming (to try to flop it over a trap). Shanks it directly at me - actually had to jump up, and almost fell down on my face.  Actually became laughable - by about halfway through the back nine, I was wondering why the Golf Gods had clearly just singled me out to hate on me today 🤣.

To make matters worse? I haven't bothered to keep a formal cap for years, but on a whim I decided to this year. And NJ went active on GHIN April 1st. So the very first score I have to post is this ridiculously bad round. 

Golf is full of (as they say in the Olympics) "the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat". Today was 100% the agony of defeat. On the bright side (I always look at the bright side), maybe I got my worst round out of my system, and the rest of the season will be great golf. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Holy hell dude - is that Old Bridge NJ? I live in Monmouth County - have heard local people talking about that new course. It's owned by the Municipality and run by a management company or something? What's the course like - compared to Hominy, or Pebble Creek, or other local courses (just curious)?

Yes, it's in Old Bridge, NJ.

Unofrtunately, I can't really compare it against the other local NJ courses since I'm from Long Island and haven't played any of those courses you've mentioned.

However, comparing it against my local courses - Bethpage Black & Red as well as Eisenhower Park White & Red, I'd say that it's good enough to give a mid-handicap golfer a good challenge with the water hazards in play on at least 7 holes but almost all the greens were too sandy and still need to grow-in.

There were a few holes with ground under repair in the fairways and the grass was not as lush for most of the holes as the courses on LI. 

12 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Okay - I'm gonna make an admission that will probably get me laughed at on WRX (but I'm too old to not be honest).

I shot a 91 today. The first time in years I didn't even break 90 (usually high 70s - mid 80s). Yeah, it was a bit chilly, and I am shaking off winter rust, but this was something different.

I know golf is always at least a little bit about random luck. Good and bad luck, however, generally even themselves out in the long run. But have you ever had a round when it was freaking all bad breaks? Three different holes I wound up behind a tree. A yard left or right and I have a clear shot at the green, but instead had to waste a stroke. Landed in two divots. Totally flushed an iron (was thinking "perfect shot") bounces once, hits the flagstick, and careens wildly sideways into a freaking pond - what should have been a birdie chance turned into a double. And to make matters even worse? I'm playing with guys that aren't that good. We are mostly greenside, and one guy goes "I got a new 60*, stand back I'm trying it for the first time." I was, like, 20' right of where he was aiming (to try to flop it over a trap). Shanks it directly at me - actually had to jump up, and almost fell down on my face.  Actually became laughable - by about halfway through the back nine, I was wondering why the Golf Gods had clearly just singled me out to hate on me today 🤣.

To make matters worse? I haven't bothered to keep a formal cap for years, but on a whim I decided to this year. And NJ went active on GHIN April 1st. So the very first score I have to post is this ridiculously bad round. 

Golf is full of (as they say in the Olympics) "the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat". Today was 100% the agony of defeat. On the bright side (I always look at the bright side), maybe I got my worst round out of my system, and the rest of the season will be great golf. 

I feel your pain.  If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

WooHoo! Just got invited by some old friends to participate in a hastily put together "Eclipse Tournament". (Not so much a tournament as two foursomes, but still - the conjunction of our two main planetary bodies calls for overdramatization. It's a MegaBowl!!!).) Teeing off 1:30ish, almost the whole round will be during the eclipse.

I expect my drives to be great, and stay in the air much longer 'cause of, you know, the sun and moon pulling the ball towards space 😂.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Haha 2

😂

We finished 18 as the event started. Perfect timing!  Went and sat under cover on the outdoor deck and chilled with snacks. A true non-event IMO.

TM Spider GT-X putter

GolfWRX card revoked. Shot a 99. Actually happy to have broken 100, as I had a not-small swing change on Saturday and the Wednesday round was the first time I hit the ball since then.

I hurt my expectations for the day by hitting 2 beautiful shots and getting par on the first but the rest of the day had me fighting old habits with the new technique.

Good news: only had 1 type of miss. Bad news: that miss put me in a lot of trouble, which resulted in 7 holes double or worse. Here goes to improving going forward.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

First round for the year up in MI, playing Pohlcat. Shot a 97 (+25), which honestly could have been into the 80s. Opened with a treble, followed by a double (despite GIR on both), which didnt seem auspicious, but started to dial it in thereafter to be a solid mostly bogey round with a couple of pars. Putting, a few airmailing incidents and a few poor contacts were the main culprits. Few short par putts that I gave up scoring on but that should get better as I get into the season. Weirdest thing was airmailing the Par 3 17th, a 135 hole with forced water carry - somehow I banged my 50 degree about 155 with what seemed to be a normal contact. It wasn't the only airmail with that club, so I need to have a look at the range. Driver was playing solid after the poor start - 275-280 yards pretty much straight is all you can ask for.

Edited by JA_357

Played 9 on Friday, 18 Saturday and Sunday. 46 - 84 - 84. 

• Like 1

CALLAWAY Paradym Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 10.5* /  Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

TITLEIST TSR2+ 13* / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65S

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* / Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7S

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 4i / Fujikura Pro 95i

PING i230 5-PW / True Temper Project X IO 6.0

PING Glide 4.0 50S / Ping Z-Z115 W

BETTINARDI HLX 5.0 Oil-Rubbed Bronze PVD 54RJ and 58RJ / KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black

BRANDON MATTHEW Truxton Wide-Blade Carbon Patina

TITLEIST Pro V1x

WITB LINK

Shot an 87 today - still shaking early season rust off (and it was really windy). But the bummer was ... 41 putts. And putting is usually by far the strongest part of my game. 

Ever had one of those days? For some reason I just couldn't see the line. Misread a couple almost laughably badly. 

Golf. Watcha gonna do. 

Played Bergen Point Golf Club in West Babylon, NY on Long Island's south shore facing the Atlantic Ocean last Saturday as part of my mini-quest to play courses that I've never played before. 

20240413_154304.jpg.d6e6e27a25aa639f465dd777158b0e18.jpg

This was my 12th round of the year playing courses for the first time and I've traveled 354 miles (running total) so far to reach these courses. 

The course was a little bit worse for wear with a lot of bare patches in the fairways and soggy on more than a couple of fairways but at least the greens ran true. 

I'm proud that I barely broke 90 by shooting a respectable 89 (Par 71, +18) amidst challenging conditions with drizzling rain, chilly weather (45°F) and blustery wind with gusts up to 40 mph!

20240414_020916.jpg.cd3e4d26c221880c058559ee5e2269bf.jpg

20240414_020955.jpg.74c0f854767bd3a6feec7f896bbf75d0.jpg

The wind was so stiff that it not only affected the ball flight (aim adjustment of at least 40 yards left or right depending on cross wind direction) and distance (3 club difference) but also the putt line and shot prep. 

It was a significant challenge for me hitting shots as it required maintaining balance or backing off when required as the wind gusts pushed me off my stance on several occasions. 

Adding to the challenge was a fairly difficult course (5,967 yards, Gold tees) with water in play on 11 holes that played at least 200 yards longer overall due to the wind.  

Despite the horrendous and challenging playing conditions, I was able to maintain my composure and patience that allowed me to enjoy my round.

I was even thrilled with my two best shots of the day that happened on the last hole (see pic below). 

Screenshot_20240415_020230_YardageBook.jpg.3e1f101d775615fee4408abacc79eaf8.jpg

The first best shot was on the 454 yard, Par 5, 18th hole with water in play along the full length of the left side of the hole from tee to green.

Despite the formidable water hazard, I still chose to ball-up and hit a challenging hero shot - a 308 yard drive downwind!

I would say that it was probably the best drive out of all my golf rounds this year thus far.

The ball landed on the 1st cut of the left rough in a dicey spot settling slightly below ground level in a depression/ natural divot, 157 yards away from the pin. 

Despite the dicey lie, my second best shot was also on the same hole with my second stroke into the Par 5 18th.

I was able to hit the ball flush with my 7-Hybrid that faded a little bit towards the pin, allowing it to end up 15 feet away on the green, slightly above the hole. 

Alas, my putt for eagle agonizingly missed, brushing the right edge of the hole but it was a still a good putt, missing on the high side and ending up 2 feet behind the hole. 

Nevertheless, I was still able to finish my round strong with a consolation tap-in Birdie. 

I'd also give myself a pat on the back by not losing any balls despite the numerous water hazards that I'd credit to a combination of Lady Luck being on my side this time around and some measure of skill on my part. 

All things considered, I would still consider this round a good day of golf for me despite the challenging conditions. 

Edited by Golfbit2X

First medal comp of 2024 from the back tees

79 gross, 2nd best gross score and 6th in division 1. 

Doubled #8 when I dunked it into the water short and then bogied #9,#10 & #11 from the middle of the fairway.

Hit the ball great but didn't score that well. 

Tough conditions but happy that I put myself into position off the tee