2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

Played Bethpage State Park's Yellow course yesterday and did well enough to shoot 87 (+16).

Not a fan of Bethpage's walk-up course designation as I was only able to snag a 12:39 PM tee time after arriving around 9:40 AM. It was in the lower 50F temps so can't wait for cooler temps to set in to thin out the herd.

I was spoiled playing winter golf last year where I could just walk up and play in the next 5-15 minutes but that was because I only played at Eisenhower Blue & White courses.

I'm curious to find out if the Bethpage walkup tee times will open up if the temps get below the 40F temps similar to Eisenhower.

Anyway, this is only my second time playing this course after shooting a 98 (+27) ten months ago so I'm pretty happy with an 11 shot improvement yesterday. I was also fortunate to finish up in 4 hours with a little twilight to spare as the groups in front of us played pretty fast.

- FIR: 43%

- GIR: 22%

- Putts: 34

Takeaways:

[1] Second straight round shooting in the 80s since last week playing the Bethpage State Park courses - Blue and Yellow.

[2] Fixed my driver and iron yips. Fixed my iron yips by using my 4 Hybrid.

[3] Played the same ball (Kirkland yellow) with no damages (cuts or abrasions) for the last 2 rounds now which may indicate that my game has improved a bit (less mishits) and/or my luck has gotten better.  

[4] Bunker shot yips has reappeared where I had to take 3 shots to to get out of a bunker on one hole.

[5] Resurrected my TaylorMade Rescue 4 hybrid three rounds ago and continued to use it in this round for all shots from 143 to 190 yards. Confidence is sky high hitting this club specially with long-range distances (170-190). No major mishits or yips so far but I have to wean off it for short-range shots under 150 yards that cost me at least 2 strokes on my last round as I airmailed my ball over the green on a couple of holes even after choking down on the grip.

[6] Shot of the day # 1: Successfully shaped my draw shot (200 yard 3rd stroke) using my TaylorMade Rescue 4 hybrid around a tree on the Par 5 - hole # 6 to allow me to 2-putt from the left-side green fringe 50 feet (slick downhill putt) way for a successful up and down for Par.

[7] No music used for pre-shot routine but still played well-enough.

[8] Driving was decent with only a couple of hooks. I was able to convert one of those drives to a successful scramble on hole # 6 and the other I was able to minimize the impact with a bogey 6 on hole # 17. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Ok, backstory.  Saturday was the annual Christmas charity scramble.  Since I just joined up, I asked the pro shop to assist in finding a partner for me.  Thursday, I got told I was paired up and be there at 8. Oh, bring a present for a child. 😉 Love it!  

We played a scramble/shamble format and were asked to turn in raw scoring.  36 two person teams got sent out.  We had a great time, but no post golf gathering.  Went in, had a bowl of chili and took off for home.  Came in today and asked at the pro shop how we did.  Oh, you didn’t get the results we sent out by email?  Nope.  Pulls up the results and I started scanning from the bottom up.  Where’s our team?  Then I started belly laughing. We won.  Shook my head, laughed some more and thanked everyone in the office for putting it on.  

There’s a first time for everything, eh?

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Gearheart Golf Links is an amazing place. I was getting a lot of birdie looks today and it was nice.

PXL_20231215_173818157.jpg

PXL_20231215_174821294.jpg

PXL_20231215_184654334.jpg

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Date: 12/16/2023

Course: Eisenhower Park - White course

Score: 90 (+18)

Woke up: 10:44 AM

Breakfast drive-thru at Wendy's: 11:28 AM

Paid green fee: 11:59 AM

Teed off: 12:06 PM (Tee time: Noon)

Finished round: 4:37 PM (Sunset: 4:28 PM)

Duration: 4 hours and 31 minutes

20231217_021501.jpg.654f63d5e0bd7910ab046434c313aebe.jpg

Hole # 18 at dusk:

20231218_015347.jpg.0e1326ec44bde6a6bf5ca71110a5f4c4.jpg

=========================

Takeaways:

[1] Best shot of the day: 30+ foot chip-in Par on hole # 17

[2] FIR: 43% (6/14)

[3] GIR: 28% (5/18)

[4] Putts: 34

[5] Played the same ball (Kirkland Yellow) for the third straight 18 hole round. First and second round were played at Bethpage State Park's Blue and Yellow courses. This ball has not had any scuff marks or cuts even after my mishits for the past 3 rounds. 

[6] Short game was much better with at least 3 out of 4 successful scrambling/Par saves: 

> hole # 01: 25 yd. 56° wedge third shot to under 5 feet from hole to save Par

> hole # 17: Hole-out from 30 foot 9-iron chip shot to save Par

> hole # 18: Fourth shot from 35 foot 9-iron chip to under 4 feet to save Par

[7] Worst shot: Two consecutive 56° wedge shots on hole # 9 from the backside after airmailing the green using hybrid from 153 yards away; 

NOTE TO SELF: Next time, try bump and run with 8 iron or hybrid.

[8] 9-iron sawed-off wedge shots were short on at least two holes from under 100 yards. 

[9] Witnessed BAD KARMA in action with a golfer in my group on hole # 8 when he carelessly dropped his golf bag ON THE GREEN instead of the fringe or apron in order to hit his third shot from the backside area. His next shot resulted in his ball hitting his bag and ricochet sideways!

[10] Pars: 7

[11] Bogeys: 6

[12] Double Bogeys: 3 (Lost 3 shots)

> hole #: 02; Scooped wedge shot

> hole #: 11; Scooped wedge shot

> hole #: 06; Three-putt 

[13] Triple Bogeys: 2 (Lost 4 shots)

> hole #: 09; Club selection mistake trying to use choked-down 23° 4-Hybrid for 153 yard shot from the rough that airmailed the green by 56 yards

> hole #: 12; Four-putt

[14] Longest drive: 262 yards

[15] Average driving distance: 227.4 yards

[16] Putting mistakes: Lost 3 strokes with 2 strokes lost on one hole - hole # 12 with a 4-putt.

[17] Sand shots: Above average performance with no major mistakes or mishits (no multiple bunker shots from the same bunker)

> hole #: 16

> hole #: 13

> hole #: 15

[18] Wedge shot (under 100 yards) mistakes:

> hole #: 02: scooped mishit, short

> hole #: 03: scooped mishit, short 

> hole #: 16: 9-iron sawed-off shot was 20 yards short

> hole #: 11: pulled 9-iron second shot and scooped third shot

> hole #: 18: 9-iron sawed-off shot was 10 yards short

[19] Ate the worst breakfast of the year: Chicken Ranch wrap from Wendy's that tasted like cardboard.  

[20] Driving was acceptable; Only 4 drives were in the left rough with only one drive that was way left with no full back swing

[21] Quickest prep time: 1 hour and 16 minutes from waking up to hitting the first shot

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 2

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

We got a nice unseasonably warm day and shot a 79.  The highlight was a near ace on the ninth hole which is steeply downhill.  It took a look, but just missed.  I did roll in the birdie.  I am always happy to break 80.  With Christmas approaching and family arriving soon, it will likely be the last round of 2023.  Always nice to end on a high note!   Hoping for a few nice days in January or February to give the new putter I just bought a try.  Golf season for me will not really start up until Mid-March.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Played Medal of Honor at Quantico MCB Saturday and Sunday, 74 on Saturday, 73 Sunday, driver was working, finding fairways makes it that much easier...putter saved me a bunch of pars...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

On 12/17/2023 at 5:35 PM, Golfbit2X said:

Date: 12/16/2023

Course: Eisenhower Park - White course

Score: 90 (+18)

Woke up: 10:44 AM

Breakfast drive-thru at Wendy's: 11:28 AM

Paid green fee: 11:59 AM

Teed off: 12:06 PM (Tee time: Noon)

Finished round: 4:37 PM (Sunset: 4:28 PM)

Duration: 4 hours and 31 minutes

20231217_021501.jpg.654f63d5e0bd7910ab046434c313aebe.jpg

Hole # 18 at dusk:

20231218_015347.jpg.0e1326ec44bde6a6bf5ca71110a5f4c4.jpg

Takeaways:

[1] Best shot of the day: 30+ foot chip-in Par on hole # 17

[2] FIR: 43% (6/14)

[3] GIR: 28% (5/18)

[4] Putts: 34

[5] Played the same ball (Kirkland Yellow) for the third straight 18 hole round. First and second round were played at Bethpage State Park's Blue and Yellow courses. This ball has not had any scuff marks or cuts even after my mishits for the past 3 rounds. 

[6] Short game was much better with at least 3 out of 4 successful scrambling/Par saves: 

> hole # 01: 25 yd. 56° wedge third shot to under 5 feet from hole to save Par

> hole # 17: Hole-out from 30 foot 9-iron chip shot to save Par

> hole # 18: Fourth shot from 35 foot 9-iron chip to under 4 feet to save Par

[7] Worst shot: Two consecutive 56° wedge shots on hole # 9 from the backside after airmailing the green using hybrid from 153 yards away; 

NOTE TO SELF: Next time, try bump and run with 8 iron or hybrid.

[8] 9-iron sawed-off wedge shots were short on at least two holes from under 100 yards. 

[9] Witnessed BAD KARMA in action with a golfer in my group on hole # 8 when he carelessly dropped his golf bag ON THE GREEN instead of the fringe or apron in order to hit his third shot from the backside area. His next shot resulted in his ball hitting his bag and ricochet sideways!

[10] Pars: 7

[11] Bogeys: 6

[12] Double Bogeys: 3 (Lost 3 shots)

> hole #: 02; Scooped wedge shot

> hole #: 11; Scooped wedge shot

> hole #: 06; Three-putt 

[13] Triple Bogeys: 2 (Lost 4 shots)

> hole #: 09; Club selection mistake trying to use choked-down 23° 4-Hybrid for 153 yard shot from the rough that airmailed the green by 56 yards

> hole #: 12; Four-putt

[14] Longest drive: 262 yards

[15] Average driving distance: 227.4 yards

[16] Putting mistakes: Lost 3 strokes with 2 strokes lost on one hole - hole # 12 with a 4-putt.

[17] Sand shots: Above average performance with no major mistakes or mishits (no multiple bunker shots from the same bunker)

> hole #: 16

> hole #: 13

> hole #: 15

[18] Wedge shot (under 100 yards) mistakes:

> hole #: 02: scooped mishit, short

> hole #: 03: scooped mishit, short 

> hole #: 16: 9-iron sawed-off shot was 20 yards short

> hole #: 11: pulled 9-iron second shot and scooped third shot

> hole #: 18: 9-iron sawed-off shot was 10 yards short

[19] Ate the worst breakfast of the year: Chicken Ranch wrap from Wendy's that tasted like cardboard.  

[20] Driving was acceptable; Only 4 drives were in the left rough with only one drive that was way left with no full back swing

[21] Quickest prep time: 1 hour and 16 minutes from waking up to hitting the first shot

Super cool post thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

Played a course that I haven’t played in at least 15 years on Thursday. Needless to say I didn’t remember much about it. Overall I played well( for me ) but I had 4 big numbers (3- 8s and a 10). But because most of my terribleness was on those 4 holes, I had a differential that brought my index below 18 for the 1st time ever. 

The driver was better than usual with only 2 errant drives and chipping was pretty good overall.  

The course was fun and I’ll be back a lot sooner than 15 more years. 

• Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

Took the Japan Bridgestones TS-202s out for nine this afternoon.  One DB on the 2nd because the drive ended up almost unplayable in a FW bunker and a couple bogies have me really taking a shine to these clubs.  The shot feel is amazing. A 40 is the best round in a while.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

I had a pleasant surprise on Christmas Eve.  My hdcp hovers in the 3 to 4 range, and I've been struggling to break 80 lately.  On Xmas Eve, I played in a 9am shotgun at my club, with no warmup, and for some reason just felt great.  I hit 17 GIR, and shot a bogey-free 70, which was strangely disappointing considering how many birdie putts burned edges.  

• Like 1

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Date: 12/22/2023

Course: Bethpage Blue

Score: 98 (+25)

After shooting my best score, 82 (+10), of the season at this course a couple of weeks ago, went back again to push my luck and see if I could do any better.

Not to be as I got in my own way again...totally regressed with the iron play yips, after previously shooting three consecutive good rounds. 

20231224_003805.jpg.51e2cd954dcedb8fdcf4624f3f743358.jpg

Takeaways:

[1] Iron play yips has returned on multiple holes 

> hole # 02

> hole # 09

> hole # 13

> hole # 18 

[2] Best shot of the day: Hero third shot on hole # 8 (Par 5) from inside the tree line of the right rough. Used 4 Hybrid to hit a low stinger that successfully threaded the ball between two trees 15-20 yards apart and bounced up the front side of the green apron to an elevated green (+30 feet of elevation). Ball was able to settle on the left side of the green, 30+ feet above the hole. Successful scramble by two-putting to save Par.

[3] Discovered new way to tee-up on frozen ground by using the 3.5" knife from my Gerber Center Drive Plus to create a hole in the ground for my tees. 

[4] Successfully tested inline power switch for backup auxiliary battery. It came in handy as my cart lost internal battery power on hole # 12 as my cart was climbing up the steep incline to the green. Momentary loss of control (5 seconds) as the Alphard Club Booster V2 reconnected to my remote. 

The inline power switch allowed me to switch on backup auxiliary power instantly, eliminating the 30 second-1 minute effort to plug in the auxiliary battery that I've been used to for the past two years!

[5] Driving was above average with only two drives ending up in the short rough on the left; No major hooks.

[6] Putting was atrocious with 7 three-putts for a total of 41 putts for the round. I think that this was the worst putting performance I've had since I came back from a 30+ year hiatus. 

[7] Chipping was substandard with 1 of 3 converted for a successful scramble.

[8] Weather was chilly at 36°F but no wind and sunny; First time playing in freezing weather this winter season. 

[9] Need to buy winter insoles as my toes were still chilly despite two layers of socks - 1st layer was wool socks and second layer was fleece sock liners.

[10] McDonald's breakfast burrito was not good when eaten cold; Try bringing sushi/temaki/poke bowl/Andouille Sausage Gumbo Soup (Whole Foods) next time as an alternative.  

[11] Disappointed that I lost my Kirkland Neon Yellow ball on hole # 4 after hitting my fourth shot thin and airmailed it over the green and into the deep gulley. The ball lasted three full 18-hole rounds and 3 holes played on 3 different courses (Bethpage Blue, Bethpage Yellow and Eisenhower White).  

[12] Securing tee times at the Bethpage Blue was easy due to the chilly weather so I'm looking forward to more chilly weather but hopefully dry with no snow. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Greens were a little soft this morning. Second shot on 9, 165 out slightly uphill lie. Haywood MB 6, I got zero roll out. 

PXL_20231229_180712676.jpg

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Sorry, this is a duplicate post, please delete. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
Duplicate post

Played Island's End Golf Club last Saturday to wrap up my golf for 2023. 

I'm thankful to have rebounded nicely with a decent round after a really atrocious round the previous weekend. 

It was definitely worth the 80 mile/1.5 hour one-way trip to this track in Greenport, NY to finally complete my objective of playing the two courses on my bucket list that took me 1 year and 10 months to complete.

Date: 12/30/2023

Score: 86 (+14)

FIR: 36% 

GIR: 39% (-13%; 26% average for 15 handicap)

Putts: 37 (With 3 three-putts)

Started: 12:14 PM

Ended: 4:32 PM 

Duration: 4 hours and 18 minutes

Weather: Cloudy, 40°F with drizzling rain and 20-25 mph wind

Takeaways:

[1] Putting was decent until the last two holes

[2] [NEW EQUIPMENT] First time playing 2022 Epic Super Hybrid 6H 27°

- hole # 03: first shot ever; Mishit slice, led to Bogey

- hole # 13: [BEST SHOT OF THE DAY]: First fairway bunker shot ever from 157 yards away; perfectly executed as a clean hit with the ball stopping at pin high, 10+ feet away from the hole for a GIR, led to a PAR.        

- hole # 14: Third shot 135 yards away (headwind,  2 club adjustment) with 20-25 mph head wind from the left rough; Ball was sitting up; Solid shot for a GIR, 8 feet from hole, led to a PAR (Missed Birdie chance under 10 feet). 

[3] Mishits:

- hole # 01: Topped drive

- hole # 10: Topped ball from second shot

- hole # 15: Second shot low burner from 98 yards was mishit 

- hole # 16: Thin hit from first shot

[4] Hero shots:

- hole # 02: Successful stinger shot between two trees using Hybrid 4H to front of green

- hole # 15: Second shot low burner from 98 yards was mishit but ball ended up in a good spot

[5] Short game was acceptable with only one mishit (Scooped shot) 

[6] Iron play was acceptable; No yips except for blocks

[7] Weather was a factor: Wind was stiff at 20-25 MPH, requiring a 2 club adjustment. 

[8] VERDICT: 1.5 hour trip / 80 miles one way was worth it!

[9] Completed playing both northeastern most golf course on Long Island and New York state - Island's End GCC and southeastern most golf course on Long Island and New York state - Montauk Downs State Park GC (02/12/2022). 

[10] 2 three-putts on different holes were due to speed miscalculation on downhill putts; Pace was still too strong as the ball ended up stopping at least 8 feet past the hole even after readjusting target spots determined at least 4-5 feet before the holes. 

[11] Shot 4 strokes better than my handicap (18)

[12] Minor accident with push cart; Tripped over cart and fell over but thankfully, no injuries. 

[13] Charging cable doesn't fit waterproof cell case charging port

[14] Drizzling rain started on the 9th hole and stopped at the 14th hole. 

[15] View from hole # 16 was spectacular with the Long Island Sound on the right side)

20231230_154905.jpg.eae1a6e3fe12829b0d51feeed6bdae2e.jpg

[16] Total yardage played: 6,494 (6,314 yards + 180 yards, headwind - 2 club adjustment); Golf league minimum total yardage is 6,000 yards. 

[17] This track was not as challenging as Montauk Downs (Top 10 public track nationwide) but playing an additional 494 yards with small greens, long Par 3s (over 170 yards on at least 3 holes) and strategically placed trees on Par 4s provided enough of a challenge to make it interesting. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Date: 01/02/2024
Course: Eisenhower Park - Blue course
Tee time: 12:10 PM
Weather: 32°F, sunny, 10-15 mph wind
============================
Score: 88 (+16)
FIR: 29% (4/14); 6 sliced drives and 4 hooked drives
GIR: 39% (7/18)
Putts: 37

20240102_234711.jpg.597ae4a9afb2739793c5e9fc6cbbaa4a.jpg
Start time: 12:25 PM
End time: 4:33 PM
Duration: 4 hours and 8 minutes
Takeaways:
    [1] Putting was atrocious (seven three-putts) but also just good enough to make two Birdies; I need to improve on concentration and stick to routine. I also need to work on getting better with downhill putts that resulted in three-putts on at least two holes. Speed from first putts was also an issue as the ball stopped more than 5 feet past the hole on at least 4 different holes that led to three-putts.
           - Best putts of the day:
                > hole # 5: 8 foot putt that trickled into the hole for Birdie. 
               > hole # 18: 6 foot left to right uphill putt with perfect speed that was on the visualized line as it entered the left corner of the hole for Birdie.
    [2] Hybrid shots from rough led to GIRs:
           - hole # 2: 6 Super Hybrid from 156 yards
           - hole # 3: 4 Hybrid from 184 yards
    [3] Iron play was good enough; Changed approach to selecting longer clubs to be able to swing at 80% as a fix to avoid the yips.
           - hole # 5: Solid 8 iron from 124 yards
    [4] Wedge play was good enough but I need to avoid mishits:
           - hole # 10: Third shot was scooped but fourth shot using 56° wedge was a good recovery as the ball lipped out for Bogey
           - hole # 11: Third shot using 52° wedge from 65 yards was solid leading to GIR. Changed approach by going outside my comfort level where I usually play a 9 iron chip and run shot. 
           - hole # 13: BEST SHOT OF THE DAY. Ball was close to greenside bunker edge. Executed difficult 56° wedge shot by gripping down on the shaft with one leg in the bunker
           - hole # 16: Third shot was mishit (scooped) from a shortsided spot to a significantly elevated landing area 6 feet above the hole
           - hole # 18: Perfectly executed third shot using 56° wedge from 30 yards led to a Birdie. Changed approach by going outside my comfort level where I usually play a 9 iron chip and run shot. 
    [5] Birdie chances: 7 (Converted 2)
    [6] Worst shot of the day: Two successive greenside bunker shots from the same bunker on hole # 4; Tempo was too fast on bunker shot # 1 leading to a fat shot that failed to get the ball out of the bunker. 
    [7] Best bounce-back:
          - Birdie on hole # 5 after triple bogey from hole # 4
    [8] Changed approach to short game/shots less than 70 yards by relying on / trusting higher lofted wedges instead of 9-iron chip and run approach. 
           - hole # 11: GIR
           - hole # 18: GIR

[9] Weatherproofing (ziplock layer) my club washer device to prevent water from freezing worked.

[10] Using 4 layers of top clothing was good enough to prevent the cold from penetrating but just enough to allow heat to escape and avoid perspiration:

- layer #1: RBX long-sleeve compression shirt base layer with grid fleece pattern

- layer #2: Eddie Bauer long-sleeve quarter zip thin fleece layer 

- layer #3: SuperDry Hybrid jacket

- layer #4: Eddie Bauer Astrolite thin reversible vest with aerogel technology

[11] Other winter equipment used:

- Equipment #1: Lands End wool trapper cap

- Equipment #2: Fleece-lined socks

- Equipment #3: Mittens (open slits for fingers)

- Equipment #4: Winter golf gloves (Mizuno)

- Equipment #5: Fleece socks (2nd layer)

- Equipment #6: Columbia neck gaiter (fleece)

- Equipment #7: Fleece-lined hiking pants

- Equipment #8: Long John underwear

- Equipment #9: Portable heating pad for back (substitute for warmup)

[12] Battled indigestion/food poisoning as well as call of nature # 2 on the back nine but was able to successfully hold it back until after the round.  

Edited by Golfbit2X

Went out with the super seniors from the forward tees at Cypresswood Traditions in Houston.  CPO and playing the Bridgestones again.  Tee to green was best in recent memory.  Wedges were throwing darts at pins and driver was straight/long.  Putter was an utter failure.  Course was soaked thru and greens absolutely soggy & pitifully sluggish.  86 with a gut wrenching 43 putts.  Eight(!) three putts and a four putt.  /facepalm (that putter's been banished to a dark corner of the closet)

IMG_0172.png.0bbbe056a5fed4a2e15c8cd4cfb45986.png

• Like 3

TM Spider GT-X putter

Played a career front nine today but lost all rhythm on the back nine. I thought I was on for a career score - 38 (+2) on the front nine, and then three doubles and a triple on the back nine to blow up the card with a 49 (+13). I'm honestly not sure I've ever struck my irons more purely. Had 6/9 GIR on the front nine, including an insane 7-iron fairway bunker shot to 8 feet.

The back nine was honestly a loss of "feel" mixed with some bad choices (this was my first time playing this course). Found OB with a bad tee shot, then ended up in the sand multiple times, combined with four three putts from 15+ feet on speedy greens. I'm honestly not that upset with how I played, more just a bit disappointed I couldn't get the career round over the line. That's golf I guess!

Gorgeous day out though!

IMG_1700.jpg.d38aa54cdd4148be039be6993507d9df.jpgIMG_1702.jpg.68e1b49bfb4279ceec7660cc159e96ef.jpgIMG_1703.jpg.eb434f52cb32128f796ba1996846cb1c.jpg

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

I took off work yesterday to play but the weather wasn't looking like it was cooperating so my group wanted to scrap it.  I was already off work so I decided to head up to a different course (closer to home) and get in what i could.  With the impending weather, the course was wide open.  I was able to finish in under 2 hours, CPO.  Shot a 94 and could have probably been better if i slowed down, but I wanted to get in all 18 

I did end the day with a birdie on 18

Edited by dugue4
  • Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I shot 17 strokes better than I did on Saturday. 98 down to 81. I went from dealing with a case of the shanks to battling a crippling pull hook with my irons, and I was leaving everything 25-35 yards left. I haven’t shot in the 80s since November, and my handicap went up from 10 to 13 before hitting the reduction.  I finally broke back through and played to my potential, though. I was able to make some grip adjustments after my round yesterday, and I got my miss down to 5-10 yards left, which is totally playable. I should probably take a lesson, but I’m going to keep grinding it out in the mean time! 

• Like 1