2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

Todays temp was in the mid 80s and the public course was packed! And the best part was the course management is a joke. No starter or ranger. at one point they had 4 foursomes a par five waiting to hit their next shots. Definitely didnt help my game and to be fair I don't practice or even play anymore. my muscle memory is pretty good to just walk out and have a connected round. 2 weeks ago I had a solid day with the driver. The fairways I missed had a shot to the green. But reason for posting is I had a reality check today. Contact was perfect but my timing was so off I couldn't hit a straight shot to save my life. Pulls all day and trying to fix I would get a chunk or push. And any iron shots that were solid they would be 10-20 yards over the green. I have been very consistent with weight lifting "naturally" since 2019. I'm about to turn 36 so let's just say I haven't built too much muscle and I don't want to say it's the blame but I was hitting my irons too far. But today just broke me down. Want to say things that I just can't lol chit show to say the least I needed to vent because I've never lost so many balls today. I know I'll have better days but man did it put me in my place. Luckily I didn't keep score but im sure it was over 120s counting penalties and drops. As a club ho and once single digit handicap it was demoralizing. So the itch to play better golf now turns into finding my swing next weekend lol.  

Missing alot of punctuation. I just wanted to get it off my chest. If I was single, I would have gone straight to the driving range. 

Edited by btyh

Don't get blown away. It's on a course that tips out at under 5500 yards. Par on the card is 71 but it was actually rated at 69 a couple years ago and they changed the card back to 71 to appease members.

I made 8 birdies and an eagle with two doubles and two bogeys.

Differential wise the 67 is only my third best round and I've never broken 70 anywhere else.

I birdied the first then doubled the par 3 second (about 150 with a tricky turtle back green)

I then ripped off 5 birdies in a row highlighted by a 25 footer on a 185ish yard par 3 on 6.

I missed a 5 footer for 6 birdies in a row on the 485 yard par 5 8th.

Before this round I had never made more than 3 birdies in a row.

I made a couple of birdies on the back (one of which is on a "par 5" that's really a par 4. It tips out at like 390 plus usually plays into the wind. 

I also made an eagle on a "par 4" that's really weird par 3. It tips out at 232 but you can't seen the green from the tee box. It's a really short green front to back but long left to right. I hit a mini driver to 5 feet.

We skipped 12 & 13 to avoid long waits and played them last.

18 is a 260 par 4 straight line but that's over water. Most people lay up into the fairway and have 120 out. I went for it even though it was into the wind and my foot slipped and I made double to drop from -6 to -4.

Immediately on the next hole I saved a miracle from a disaster. 12 is about 340 uphill OB all down the right. It plays fine from the fairway to the left. I pull hooked one trying to hit that fairway and ended up another fairway over. Had 105 in and half shanked one with the ball below my feet and on a down slope. I then chunked it off a bare lie from about 25 yards to a front pin. I saved myself by chipping in for par.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

TSI2 3W 15 AV Raw Blue 65R

Epic Speed 7W 21 Smoke IM10 60 5.5

TSR2 5h 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face 54 60, Full Face 2 64 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

70 yesterday, first round in 3 weeks and wasn’t expecting much. Kept it in play on the front and got hot on the back with 4 birdies. Pretty encouraging as I have not been putting rounds together lately. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I love the fall weather...

I played 9 hole on Monday and 9 hole on Tuesday..

2 different courses..

The temp was around low to mid 40s..  So the course was mostly empty..

I played 2 balls with headphone on.. Took me about 2.5 hours to play, found 50 balls each day..

Sometimes I like playing with a group.. But I also love playing by myself, so I can work on the game..

I took lowest score of the 2 and shot 38 each day..🤪

Shot 100 (+29, Par 71) at Willow Creek GCC to finish tied for 6th place out of 15 in my division for the 5th leg of the Fall season (8 tournaments) in my golf league.

Willow Creek is one of the more difficult courses in our league with water in play on 11 holes.

Going back in time, I was also fortunate to have won my league's Chapter finals on this course a couple of years ago.

Using my own yardage book (3+ hours effort, using screenshots of my Bluebook Yardage Book app customized to my driver/iron shot range), I stuck to a conservative game plan that required the use of a 5 iron instead of driver to take the water out of the equation for a majority of the water holes.

Unbelievably, I think that was the only time I kept the driver in the bag for almost all Par 4 & 5 holes except for a couple of holes.

That memorable win (total of 5 wins in 3 years across two divisions in my gof league) was probably due in large part to my yardage book, game plan and more importantly, the patience to stick with it. It was also helpful that my iron play was steady w/ no mishits except on the last hole where I topped 2 successive shots after hitting the FIR using my 5 iron and still won by 3 shots.

Anyway, this season, I was planning to shut down my tournament golf activity earlier than expected due to my golffer's elbow but I suckered myself into playing again after finding out that I was leading the OOM standings.

Despite golfer's elbow/tendinitis on my right arm (pain had increased a couple of months ago but had subsided a little bit recently), I've managed to rack up a couple of 2nd place finishes with one of those I practically gift-wrapped to the eventual champion.

I also had a 3rd and 6th place finish to be able to lead the senior division.

For this tourney, one of the major factors that contributed to my poor performance was probably the worst putting performance of my year with 41 putts - 7 strokes over the average (34 putts).

I think adding 19 grams of lead weight (practice session the day before with the modified putter was good) to my putter's carbon fiber head insert (see images below) was also a factor that may have contributed to my poor performance.

Screenshot_20231102_203616_Photos.jpg.2f8519b42f48e2eac3b12343ed0aacb9.jpg

Screenshot_20231102_203548_Photos.jpg.f33cd5015527e2fc043cdd5d71681021.jpg

I have to readjust my swing tempo to compensate for the change.

Nevertheless, I was still proud of myself for never giving up and avoiding major hole blow-ups despite playing one of the more difficult courses in our league.

The next leg of our fall sked will be at Mill Pond this Saturday so I'm really interested to know if I can continue to play good enough to retain the 1st place position.

I'll probably have to work on my putting again to avoid a bad putting performance. I have to focus on keeping my swing tempo consistent throughout the swing so that I can dial-in my speed control. 

There were more than a few lip-outs from short range (under 6 feet) that I think speed cotrol would be able to convert to made putts. 

Obviously, there's no awards for 1st place on the OOM at this point so I'm just playing for my own satisfaction as well as pride but also to test myself against a full field as 2 out of the 5 tourneys I've played weren't full field strength. 

Side notes:

1.) Modified putter by adding 19 grams of lead tape of my Wingman 03 in the inner cavity.

2.) Comparison of performance from 2021 and 2023:

☆ Willow Creek GCC 2023 metrics:

Score: 100 (+29)

FIR: 29% (4/14)

GIR: 22% (4/18)

Putts: 41

☆ Willow Creek GCC 2021 metrics:

Score: 88 (+17)

FIR: 64% (9/14)

GIR: 39% (7/18)

Putts: 32

3.) Overall winning percentage: 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)
     Note: Next best winning percentage was 12% by a golfer  who won 6 tournaments out of 51 tournaments played over 3 years)

Edited by Golfbit2X

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Absolutely gorgeous day of chilly fall golf yesterday. I had one of my hottest ever starts in a round - I was only two over after 7 with 3/3 up and downs, but then had a total collapse with back to back triples on 8 and 9 (with three putts on both). Managed to rally with pars on 10 and 11, but then carded two additional doubles on 14 and 17. I ended up with an 88, but know this should have been a low-80s round at worst. My approach play was tight first half of the round and then felt like I hit very few fully committed approaches on the back nine.

I'm really trying to work on my mental game as I have no doubt there was some self-sabotage yesterday. I also had four 3 putts (three inside 20 feet), and missed some makeable up and downs on the back nine. I'm going to log some practice hours on short putts and hope that makes a difference for next week. 

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

The day was windy,  15 to 25 mph windy. It was 50 when we started and got to 62 by finishing time. We played the senior tees because of all this. Took the MDLT method today because I was having problems with pop ups with the driver and I also changed my grip to a reversed overlap. Not expecting much but a 38-37 75 with 3 birdies was the outcome. Reversed overlap won’t stay around though. Hurts the bottom hand pinky. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Got on at Royal Queensland yesterday and shot a -1, 70. My home course is currently hosting the Qld PGA so they opened up a few tee times at RQ for our members. It was good fun playing with all of the stands and signage for the Australian PGA in place around the course.IMG_2603.jpeg.2b74d575ab486057c16209a4cb9417a9.jpeg

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

44.  Gave up after 9, was raining too heavy and my thumbs hurt.  #badday

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

69 (-1) first time out at Maple Meadows near Chicago. Windy conditions but the course was in amazing November shape. Some of the slickest greens I’ve played. Happy with 3 birdies and hit some great drives with the new TSR2. Second time under par in a row too bad I’m getting hot just as the season wraps up (though I don’t mind this second one not counting on my hdcp).

Shot a 89 today on a new course.  If not for 2 lost balls and 2 in the water, I would have been flirting with breaking 80, which would be amazing with my game.
The greens were over seeded and I don’t think I’ve ever played over seeded greens before. I could not get myself to hit putts hard enough and left lots of putts short.  But only 2 3-putts. 
My best shot of the day was after I teed off with my 4i, trying to play it safe only to hit it fat about 100yards. I smoked my 5w to hit the GIR. 

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

Shot 3 over 34 today (Par 31, 9 hole track @ Harbor Links Executive course) with 2 Birdies. 

One out of the two birdies was a fluke on hole # 6, 115 yarder Par 3. I hit a good tee shot with my wedge (Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°) that landed at least 3 yards on the front side of the green but rolled off to 2 feet off the front side of the green due to the false front/slope that dropped away from the middle of the green. 

I was thinking between using Texas Wedge or my trusty 9-iron to chip it but eventually decided to chip it with the 9-iron. I actually mishit my chip, hitting the ground before the ball but the line and speed was true enough to drop it in like a putt. 

It's been a while since I shot a good round this year so I was pretty psyched-up that I was able to rebound from a mediocre 10 over round a couple of days ago at Bay Park, another 9 hole track.

The Harbor Links Executive course is supposed to be a "learning course" but I find it a bit challenging due to the green complex (multiple breaks and tier levels) on almost all holes and the thick rough surrounding the greens and fairways

It's a great way to sharpen up for an upcoming tournament since it has four Par 4 holes that make up the short distance (247, 255, 260 and 262 yards) with narrow fairways (less than 30 yards wide) and challenging trouble areas (OBs, dried-up creeks, heavy brush and deep swampy areas).

My drives held-up where it counted except for hole # 4 where my old bad habit reappeared, hooking it left but thankfully, this is the only hole where the rough on the left side is generous if you can carry the swampy area. 

I left at least 3 strokes out on the course after missing short putts (under 5 feet) and hitting a thin shot on the last hole resulting in a double-bogey but otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with my excellent round since Spring this year. 

Harbor Links is a town-owned public course that is well- maintained (Arnold Palmer golf management) with the greens running true and the fairways clean and mowed.

I played Bay Park (county course) two days ago and sadly, the difference is like night and day compared to Harbor Links.

Bay Park was poorly maintained with water-logged bunkers, sketchy fairways, geese droppings everywhere and patchy greens. 

Another plus is the unbeatable price of $13 twilight rate at Harbor Links while I had to pay $23 for Bay Park. 

FIR: 50% (2/4)

GIR: 44% (4/9)

Putts: 16

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

My swing has deserted me, especially the irons lately.  My scores have climbed up from 78-82 range to 85+ lately.  Between a bad back acting up and my incredibly bad swing path with my irons it's been a tough month or so. Hoping to get my irons back in line soon (practice, practice, practice) but my cranky bad back is making it difficult. 

I fired my best round of the year with a 76(+4).  Even par on the front 9 with a double bogey and 2 birdies.  One birdie on the back 9, but had a little string of bogies.  Over the past month I changed my putting grip to the new Japanese butterfly grip, and the putting has been great for my standards.    

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Last round was yesterday and I shot a 1 over 72. It was a pretty good day.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Shot +26 (placed 11 out 14 in my division's golf league) with a score of 99 on a Par 73 playing for only the second time at Cherry Creek Golf Links yesterday.

Not my best, but I could have done a lot better. Nevertheless, I still consider it a relatively good round considering I shot 17 strokes (+43) and one division better than the first time I played this course 6 years ago.

In addition, it was also my first time playing in a tournament/golf league event after a 30+ year hiatus.

It was a blustery (20-25 mph wind, 2 club adjustment) and brisk (high 40s F) but sunny fall day.

The course was well-maintained with lush fairways and tee boxes as well as greens than ran true.

It was also a big plus for me that the course endorses walking and it shows that it maintains a walker-friendly track with an open layout and only a couple of holes that have wood/stone path boundaries. 

Having played Mill Pond GC (municipal track) recently as part of my fall golf league, I must say I will not miss the cordoned-off greens and fairways, the bare tee boxes as well as the patchy greens.

There were more than a few positives from my round but at the top of my list is taking advantage of the stiff tailwind to knock out a trio of 300 yard drives (estimated, screenshots below courtesy of BlueGolf Yardage Book) and being able to convert 2 out 3 for Pars.

Screenshot_20231112_160900_YardageBook.jpg.fe8ed2bf576162fb5684f65eb27000dc.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_164951_YardageBook.jpg.0cfd2916fd86679a3d5b8208b8131cf1.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_185604_YardageBook.jpg.ece5c3560c838b2a29d02a408569f35e.jpg

While I admit that "Home Run" drives mean a lot to me, we all know that it takes a lot more than that to take care of business and bring home another trophy this season.

Srambling was a miserable 13% (2/15) and my short game was non-existent with nothing to show for one-putts. Also having 4 three-putts was not helpful.

I have to up my game particulary in my short game and putting to put myself in contention.

I'm also a decent bunker shot player but taking 4 shots out of a bunker on one hole was the worst performance I've had. 

Looking back, it was embarrasing to do that given that one of my memorable golf achievements last year happened because I was able to hit an exquisite bunker shot on hole # 18 at Bethpage Red to pull-off a monumental Par to win my Division 4 tournament.

Memo to self: Don't be complacent and avoid getting flustered by learning to analyze and adjust from mistakes quickly. Looking back, shaft angle was a bit high, need to consciously position the shaft angle lower to avoid chunking bunker shots.

Side notes:

There were a couple of memorable bad breaks in my round with the first coming on the very first hole (Shotgun start, hole # 14, Par 5).

Aimed at the edge of the right side of the fairway (fighting hook miss) but ball flight started on the center of the fairway and faded a bit left with the ball settling in the rough along the left tree line.

This was my first 300 yard drive of the round, leaving myself just a 5-iron (185 yards) to the green.

However, it was a difficult lie as there was only a 3 inch or less clearance from the root of a tree on the back of the ball for my 5 iron shot. 

Consequently, I mishit my second shot with the ball rolling a few inches left.

The second bad break happened on hole # 9 and was another similar situation, but this time it was a foot-sized rock about 4 inches behind the ball after a totally unforced error on my second shot (mental gremlins creeping in) that hooked left.

Anyway, I was able to hit a clean shot using my 9-iron with the ball landing a yard off the edge of the front side of the green.

I'm just thankful that I came out without any injuries and that my irons were not damaged. 

On the other hand, Keno, my flight mate had 3 good breaks with his ball ricocheting off trees into the fairway 3 times on 3 different holes after hitting it left as well as right side of the fairway.

This game will really test your mental fortitude with the golf gods throwing in the randomness dice into the mix.

On the other hand, having played tennis and basketball during my younger days where the random factor is minimal, it is also same random factor in golf that also what endears us to this sport whether it's a hole-in-one, a chip-in birdie to win a tournament play-off (my own random dice event), or hitting a tree branch and the ball ricocheting into the fairway instead of airmailing the green (also another of my random dice event in the same tournament play-off).

Another event I wish that I wasn't a part of was an instance of a golfer who was also my flight mate losing his temper slamming his club on his poor golf cart after mishiting his iron shot.

It was a little bit unnerving but at least this time he held on to his club and didn't think of throwing it unlike a previous tournament where my flight mate threw his club at his golf cart.

No one was hurt during that tantrum also. 

Equipment changes:

- Adjusted the driver loft from 9° to 10.5°

Metrics:

- FIR: 29% (4/17)

- GIR: 33% (6/18)

- Putts: 40

20231112_171401.jpg.47b9ef9b0aceb8bba240b9d445002409.jpg

Edited by Golfbit2X

Memorial Park, home of the Houston Open today.  White tees at 6554 and a two club wind present.  Paired up with a scratch golfer and his wife, six months experience. My son was with me.  

Shot 41/45-86 with what should have been a simple eagle, ended up a kick in birdie on the first and two doubles on the back. Had a few looks at birdies, but greens were heavily sanded and tough. Wind picked up late in the round.

Course is prepping for the PGA and is CPO.  Overseeding is filling in well.  Pace was perfect…ly slow at 5 hours.  Ugh.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

First round on my Artisans - shot two under at 7200 on a super narrow course I've never played.  Eagle , three birdies and three bogeys. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Shot 99 (+27, Par 72) at Eisenhower Park - Red course (site of the 1926 PGA Championship) yesterday to give myself a birthday treat of playing two 18 hole courses (the other course was Eisenhower Park - Blue course last Friday) in a week.

Bethpage State Park's Black course (Played 3 times this season, shot 91, personal best) had recently closed for the season so my choices were a bit limited. 

I felt that my body could now handle playing two 18 hole rounds in a week with my right elbow tendinitis doing much better as I wasn't feeling that much pain in the last 3 weeks after sticking to my "golf diet" of one 18 hole round per week for the last 5 months or so. 

As I was playing a non-tournament golf round, I threw course management out of the window, experimented with putting techniques as well as battled iron play swing gremlins during my Red course round. 

I also resurrected my Taylor Made 4-iron hybrid that I adjusted to max 22° and proceeded to use it effectively in the rough, fairway bunkers and long second shots. 

In addition,  I used my 52° wedge that I haven't used in a while that help me hit a couple of good short approach shots to save PAR.

Only had 2 fairways in regulation on the last two holes, a Par 5 and a long Par 4.  Hooked most of my drives but I have to do a better job fixing my hook tendency by adjusting swing routine, switching to my stock driver stinger.

Swing gremlins is getting worse on long and intermediate lenght shots. I need to do a better job of blocking out negative thoughts. One possible solution is to employ my bone conducting headset to pipe in music to distract myself. 

Playing out of the tree line, I was successful 2 out of 5 times on different occasions, opting for hero shots through narrow openings to move forward rather than playing out sideways. 

I need to work on my low stinger punch out shot to get better escaping from the woods.

It also wasn't helpful that I was partially stymied in my back swing on two different occasions.  

Edited by Golfbit2X

73(+1) today.  45 F with some 7-15 mph winds.  My best round since returning from a break from the game while in college.  73% FIR, 61% GIR, 29 putts.  4 birdies and 5 bogeys.  Very pleased with my progress carding 77/76/73 my past few rounds. 

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

• 2 weeks later...

Weird day today. Shot a very uninspired 92, but I had two 10s and three birdies on the card. Went +12 on two holes and +8 on the remaining 16. I’ve been fighting a left miss, and it’s killing me.  Both 10s were on doglegs left, and on each I sent back-to-back tee shots OB. Maybe I should read Hogan’s book again…

IMG_0828.jpeg

Shot my best round ever, 10 over 82 from the middle tees at Bethpage State Park's Blue course yesterday. 

20231203_004237.jpg.36064578898c1ee5caac212f6c8e796a.jpg

It would have been way better if I had shot it during one of my golf league's tourneys but I'll take it anyway since it definitely shows that I'm improving based on my adjustments. 

[1] FIR: 43% (6/14)

[2] GIR: 44% (8/18)

[3] Putts: 35

[4] Pars: 8

[5] Bogeys: 7

[6] Double bogeys: 2

[7] Triple bogeys: Zero

[8] Birdies: 1

I still probably left at least three or more strokes out there due to 3-putts so I'm optimistic that I may be close to breaking 80 pretty soon. 

Side note: Due to a slow round (5 hours and 4 minutes), I played the last 3 hole after sunset with hole 17 & 18 (Par on both holes, FIR & GIR on 18) in darkness using UV balls and artificial illumination. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Out at Memorial Park, home of the Houston Open yesterday.  Front 9 was a tale of remarkable recover shots. Pull hooked my driver off the first tee, hit a tree 125 yards from the box and said drat.  One of those days in store.  Second shot was a perfect 3W leaving me 125 in.  Dropped a high PW dead center and two putted.  Hmmm.

Ended up with 5 bogies and two birdies for a great 39.  Missed a 20 foot eagle putt on one of the birds. A sliced drive off the tee on par 5 3rd, clear chute thru the trees and another gorgeous 3w planted on the green from about 245 out.  lol 

We made the turn on the back nine into a sea of slow play.  Waiting on every shot, sometimes more than 5 minutes.  Dragged me down to their level and beat me with stupidity resulting in a 45 because lost all rhythm and pace.  

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball