2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

Date: 07/20/2023

Course: Harbor Links Executive/ Learning course

Note: Short course with Par 4s ranging from 215, 250 to 264 yards.

Score: 2 over 33, 8 pars and one double bogey

PERSONAL RECORD #1: 7 pars in a row

PERSONAL RECORD #2: 8 pars in nine holes

Takeaways:
  1.) Driving was decent, 3 out of 4 drives were straight, two drives with driver were straight. One drive on hole # 4 using 3 wood started right but faded left, landed in the left portion of the green but bounced over to the backside fringe
  2.) Chipping was passable, no mishits but only one was within 4 feet of the hole. The rest were over 10 feet away 
  3.) Putting was OK, with only one three-putt and two one-putts but missed Birdie putts on #1 (6+ ft), #3 (5+ feet), # 7 (6+ feet), # 8 (7+ feet)
  4.) Double bogey on hole # 2 was due to using choked-down Utility Wood that flew over the left back side of the green and three-putted for a double bogey.
  5.) Mishit my chip on # 6 but was the closest chip shot (less than 4 feet away)
  6.) Played conservative using 3 Wood first shot on # 8 that flew exactly on the flight path I was aiming at, the left front bunker of the narrow 50 yard wide fairway. This was one of my nemesis holes, a Par 4 264 yarder that I can reach with my driver.  Most of the time,  I either slice it into the knee-high fescue on the right or the marshy rough on the left with my driver that results in a lost ball. 

7.) When playing short courses, I switch up my game, opting to carry a limited number of clubs. I leave behind my 4, 6, 8 irons as well as my pitching wedge. Total of 9 clubs in the bag. 

8.) Played as a single with a father and his 2 young sons. Considering the way I played, I was proud of myself for my patience as the kids were just beginners with the younger kid having the better ability than his older brother. A lot of mishits even from the father which would normally rattle me but I was able to maintain my composure. It actually got dicey on the 1st hole when the older brother hit a low burner approach shot on # 1 that barely missed hitting his younger brother had I not yelled Fore a split second before the ball zinged past the younger sibling's head.

9.) Wore my brand-new Hey Dude Wally Free Airflow collection comfort shoes for the first time and it was great for golf! I will continue wearing these shoes for short and flat 9 hole courses going forward. 

I got a good deal with these shoes at Marshall's for $35, close to half the regular price of $64.99. The Airflow soles piqued my interest as I was hoping to use it when I go out fishing on my boat. It also comes with speed lacing so it has a great fit for me. I've also retrofitted speed lacing on all my sneakers. Cushioning was also exceptional as it had a simple one material/one layer sole. 

However, please be cautious as these shoes with the standard sole tend to be on the slippery side when walking on wooden/shiny floors. However, there were no issues with traction on the golf course. 

Despite that, I bought three more and returned the first pair as it was too small. Best shopping deal of the year for me so far!

I've stayed away from conventional golf shoes due to comfort issues - too hard/cushioning issues that always leaves my feet hurting. 

Screenshot_20230729_125250_Chrome.jpg.0813f1a421a24af3260aa074589561b5.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_125451_Chrome.jpg.5f91c8dfb5a93ea8551d66fe5181868f.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_125419_Chrome.jpg.692c41dddf1cbbcdcdafbbebb8874bad.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_125320_Chrome.jpg.b0e4530523a8d937f5ff8915dc19c8dc.jpg

My go-to golf shoes for a full 18 hole round are my On-Cloud Cloud Swifts that I've modified with a 9-spike configuration. 

Screenshot_20230729_131350_Photos.jpg.1a46afb06a12dfee98574a8107d92b42.jpg

========================
Hole-by-hole account:

Hole # 1 [Par 3]: Par
   - 1st shot: Used a 7 iron. GIR. Less than 7 feet below the hole
   - 2nd shot: Putt burned the right edge, turned a quarter inside the hole and stopped less than 6 inches behind the hole  
   - 3rd shot: 2nd putt in the hole for Par #1

Hole # 2 [Par 3]: Double Bogey
   - 1st shot: Used Cleveland Utility Wood. Over-clubbed despite chocking down on grip. Ball landed 3 yards in the rough behind the backside of the green.
   - 2nd shot: 60 degree wedge shot was too much. Landed 15+ feet below the hole.
   - 3rd shot: 1st putt with double break going downhill and breaking left was short and right by 4+ feet.
   - 4th shot: 2nd putt was not on target, fininshing right side of the hole.
   - 5th shot: 3rd putt in the hole

Hole # 3 [Par 4]: Par  
   - 1st shot: Driver. Landed 20 yards short of the green in the fairway.
   - 2nd shot: 9 iron chip shot landed 14+ feet below the hole
   - 3rd shot: 1st putt was good enough to allow the ball to stop less than 3 feet from hole
   - 4th shot: 2nd putt finished in the hole

Hole #4 [Par 4] 
   - 1st shot: 3 Wood. Ball flew right and faded a little bit left and bounced on the green but finished in the backside fringe.
   - 2nd shot: 56 degree wedge was too strong, landing before the pin and rolled past the pin, with the ball settling on the backside section of the green on the first cut
   - 3rd shot: 1st putt was good enough to finish not more than four feet from hole
   - 4th shot: 2nd putt in the hole

Hole #5 [Par 3] Par
   - 1st shot: 9 iron. Ball leaked right and landed on green but close to the right front edge.
   - 2nd shot: 1st putt was a double breaker, uphill and breaking right but good enough to finish less than 4 feet from the hole.
   - 3rd shot: 2nd putt in the hole

Hole #6 [Par 3] Par
   - 1st shot: Attack Wedge. Ball was short and landed a yard off the front side of the green.
   - 2nd shot: 9-iron chip shot was a great chip that stopped less than 2 feet from the hole.
   - 3rd shot: First putt in the hole

Hole #7 [Par 4] Par
   - 1st shot: Driver. Ball flew straight and online to the pin. Landed 30+ yards away from the pin on the front apron of the green.
   - 2nd shot: 9-iron chip shot was not very good with the ball finishing at least 10 feet past and above the hole
   - 3rd shot: 1st putt was downhill but I didn't realize it until after the ball rolled4 feet past the hole. 

Hole #8 [Par 4] Par
   - 1st shot: 3 Wood. Aimed at the left side fairway bunker. Ball path was on target and landed in the fairway, 60 yards from the pin.
   - 2nd shot: 9-iron chip shot landed above the hole about 12 feet past.
   - 3rd shot: 1st putt was a double breaker, downhill and breaking left but good enough to finish less than 4 feet from the hole.

Hole #9 [Par 3] Par
   - 1st shot: 9 iron. Choked down on the grip. Ball flew towards the left side of the green and landed on front left side 1st cut of the green.
   - 2nd shot: 1st putt was a double breaker, downhill and breaking left but was not good enough. Ball finished less than 6 feet from the hole.
   - 3rd shot: 2nd putt had exactly enough speed for the ball to roll to the right edge of the hole and drop on the right side door of the hole. Best putt of the day!

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Played nine from the tips at 3200 yards yesterday with my oldest son and a new lady golfer. First time on course for her, two range visits. Weather was atrocious.  Super muggy, hot and rain threatening.  Shot 43 for my second time around this course, first time was early spring with dormant grasses.  Swing was ok, but much faster greens than my home course.  They were fun!  

Young lady was well comported and was making solid, but weak contact.  She’s signed up for a 10 week instructional league to start the real learning part.

Edited by SnowbirdTom

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

91. RTJ course with his huge greens gave me fits. 

Drove it well, but I’ve kind of hit a wall and scoring hasn’t improved for a spell here. Fairway wood play has not been good, and that is critical for me….let’s go to work!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

101. Hit one GIR. Truly dreadful stuff. Seriously considering stepping away from the game. I was a 9 HC this time last year, and now I play like I just picked up the game.

Hitting these garbage little trap draws/hooks with everything but wedges. I can feel it when i take the club back what's about to happen, but I just can't shake it. Just demoralizing and not fun to go out there and play like that, and I'd save a bunch of money stepping away from the club. Can always reevaluate couple years down the line. 

Shot an 86 on Friday during a snails pace scorcher of a round. Couldn't hit a fairway to save my life, didn't help the rough was wet and it's always thick, yet somehow hit 5 GIRs. But the greens had so much sand on them and being wet just couldn't get the putter going. Freaking 3 putted twice on 2 par 3 holes I had birdie putts on, had to stick it close to get a chance. But good signs for the same having a meh feeling round but shooting in the mid 80s.

Would be nice to get on a course where it's not soaked and the greens are just smooth. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Went to the course for our free practice round the day before the tournament, and found out it's been postponed until end of September.  Due to the recent storms, the front 9 was underwater so we played the back 9 twice which was a 43/43.

Consistently mediocre, but I'll take it considering it was like playing in a sauna with the humidity. 

Had a 40/39 79 . Three putted 3 of the GIRs 14/18 and only one was a long putt. Hit 14 greens and made one birdie. No saves on the other 4. It was a pathetic display of putting but a great iron day.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I'm currently a 10.5, play to an 11 at my club. 

Was out playing six holes after dinner, when I had an epiphany about the golf swing (primarily about how I was using, or more importantly not using, my right hand). Started flushing it. 

Played in my nine hole MGA event last night and won at +2 gross (we were playing net stableford). Had a run of -1 for six holes, really should have finished +1 but I got a little frisky with a chip and it cost me a dumb bogey.  

My hands are literally itching to get back out there... as I watch it pour down rain 😞

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Played a 4 hole match with the wife this morning, both shot -1, very differently lol. Playing with her brings out my competitive side because she's got more talent than I.  

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

PXG 0317 X (18*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (3-4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

Shot an 81 today, which is my best score from a full length (6000+ yards) course! Of course I had two three putts and a four putt double… However, I made a ton of clutch putts inside 10 feet and two over 25 feet. Overall I’m very satisfied with my performance. My irons were on fire, and I hit half my greens. 

70 with a double Saturday. A round that could have been special. 

Greens that were still recovering from being punched. Missed 5 putts from inside 12 feet. Swing changes are clearly working but not fully baked in yet. I half skulled a wedge on my 13th hole and made double. Was -2 at that point. Birdied the next and had 2 more great birdie looks thr last 3 holes. Easily could have been 64 or 65. First time out with a new putter and I missed short a few times. Punched practice green so there was no pre-round putting and I had only practiced once with the new flatstick. 

• Like 1

Shot 13 over (49) on Merrick Golf Course (Long Island) hitting from the tips (3,171 yds.) last Saturday, 08/05/23. Worst putting performance of the season with FIVE 3-putts despite hitting 5/9 greens.

No warm-up and no putting practice before the round probably contributed to my crappy performace. I was 8 minutes late for my tee time but I'm fortunate that this was a municipal course so no one gave me a hard time.

Nevertheless, I still like the way I hit my driver and irons so there was a little bit of a silver lining in there somewhere...🙃

First two holes were great with my driver tee shot on the 1st was a perfect draw following the contour of the fairway as it hugs the Merrick cove while my tee shot using a 5-iron on the 161 yd. Par 3 with the ocean breeze in my face landed in the middle of the green from another draw that started in the path towards the right greenside bunker but drew left.

It was the second hole where my 3-putt woes started. I guess I should have realized that I wasn't commited in my putting stroke at that point.

Edited by Golfbit2X

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

This thread brings up a 🤔 considering some of my recent rounds with other random folks. I am not calling anybody here out here. So don't get mad at me..... 😄 I figure people here are golf addicts and that usually comes with at least a requirement for some standards. So there's that...

But.....

I'd say maybe half of the golfers I've played rounds with lately haven't been accurately carding their scores. It's recreational golf, so really I don't care, but they're sounding off on it like they shot below 100 and I know they clearly couldn't have done so.

You can just tell.

• Confused 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

42 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

This thread brings up a 🤔 considering some of my recent rounds with other random folks. I am not calling anybody here out here. So don't get mad at me..... 😄 I figure people here are golf addicts and that usually comes with at least a requirement for some standards. So there's that...

But.....

I'd say maybe half of the golfers I've played rounds with lately haven't been accurately carding their scores. It's recreational golf, so really I don't care, but they're sounding off on it like they shot below 100 and I know they clearly couldn't have done so.

You can just tell.

This is a pretty normal occurrence in amateur golf. Happens all over the world as highlighted in Harvey Penick's Little Red Book. 

Had a guy take a drop recently from the middle of mowed fairway when his balll landed in a unmowed strip about 3 inches high. Said that was a man made object, lol.

8 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

This is a pretty normal occurrence in amateur golf. Happens all over the world as highlighted in Harvey Penick's Little Red Book. 

Had a guy take a drop recently from the middle of mowed fairway when his balll landed in a unmowed strip about 3 inches high. Said that was a man made object, lol.

LOL!

The thing is, most rounds I play are at least just recreational. I don't expect folks to be as die hard as I am, LOL. I just wish they'd stop trying to brag later after walking up to fetch the bad shot and hitting again..... ehehehe

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

This year I've been really consistent. I've shot between 80 and 78 every round, except one round where I got caught in rain, wind and cold and kind of lost my swing for a bit. Last 4 rounds have been 78s, across 4 different courses. Hitting a lot of greens, for me, at over 10 on average per game. Story has been that I can't putt. Had 5 - 3 putts last week and still managed that 78. Putting used to be the strength of my game. Maybe hitting more greens is giving more lag putts that aren't so much a strength?

Shot 73 yesterday. It was my kids first 18 too. She had 132 teeing off from 100 yards on each hole. She had one solid birdie chance that went begging. But all around just a memorable time.

Got it down to one three-putt against two two-putt birds and one 20 footer on 18 for bird. That's the most birdies I've made in a round all year. Front nine I was striping my irons. Started with the approach on 1. 160 yard to flag hit an 8-iron right at the stick onto fringe just short. 4th, hit 6 iron from 187 to 10 feet pin high. 7th, hit 5 iron from 200 to 25 feet pin high for eagle, 8th par 3, 4 iron to 15 feet  below hole from 190 (playing 20 uphill). 9th, another uphill hole I hit 7 iron from 150 into the middle of the green about 20 feet short. The rest were wedges I put in nice spots, but couldn't buy a putt. 7 birdie chances. 

Back nine is shorter, trickier. Only hit 4 greens, but I got it up and down all but one time. Practicing wedges consistently withing 30 yards of the green has paid a lot of dividends. I could hit some nice simple chips and a couple soft float shots that left me makeable par putts. And I finally started draining them. Last putt on 18 was 20 feet and I thought I left it on the high side, but it just broke hard at the end and lipped in. Hallelujah.

108 Mile Ranch Golf Course is a fun course, with tons of challenging holes, despite being relatively open off the tee. The strength of my game is driving the ball. I only hit 5 fairways, but, I only had one drive that didn't cooperate, on a hole I should probably hit iron on to avoid a thick stand of trees... 

We teed off around 7am and finished before 10. Does it get any better than that?

84.  What a frustrating round of golf.  So many good things.  And a few terrible things that ruined it.

14 holes: 1 birdie, 2 bogies, 11 pars.

I was +1 for 14 holes.

Other four holes: Double, Double, Triple, Quad.

I was +11 for the other 4 holes.

Just infuriating.  I feel like every round this year has been this way.  Stretches of great golf around par....then a few holes that just absolutely kill me.

41/39 80 on a course that gave me 8 strokes. Broke even . Putted terrible again. Had one double bogey and 11 pars. Hit 11 greens and a lot of fairways. It was drizzling rain and I had fun. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

11 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

This year I've been really consistent. I've shot between 80 and 78 every round, except one round where I got caught in rain, wind and cold and kind of lost my swing for a bit. Last 4 rounds have been 78s, across 4 different courses. Hitting a lot of greens, for me, at over 10 on average per game. Story has been that I can't putt. Had 5 - 3 putts last week and still managed that 78. Putting used to be the strength of my game. Maybe hitting more greens is giving more lag putts that aren't so much a strength?

Shot 73 yesterday. It was my kids first 18 too. She had 132 teeing off from 100 yards on each hole. She had one solid birdie chance that went begging. But all around just a memorable time.

Got it down to one three-putt against two two-putt birds and one 20 footer on 18 for bird. That's the most birdies I've made in a round all year. Front nine I was striping my irons. Started with the approach on 1. 160 yard to flag hit an 8-iron right at the stick onto fringe just short. 4th, hit 6 iron from 187 to 10 feet pin high. 7th, hit 5 iron from 200 to 25 feet pin high for eagle, 8th par 3, 4 iron to 15 feet  below hole from 190 (playing 20 uphill). 9th, another uphill hole I hit 7 iron from 150 into the middle of the green about 20 feet short. The rest were wedges I put in nice spots, but couldn't buy a putt. 7 birdie chances. 

Back nine is shorter, trickier. Only hit 4 greens, but I got it up and down all but one time. Practicing wedges consistently withing 30 yards of the green has paid a lot of dividends. I could hit some nice simple chips and a couple soft float shots that left me makeable par putts. And I finally started draining them. Last putt on 18 was 20 feet and I thought I left it on the high side, but it just broke hard at the end and lipped in. Hallelujah.

108 Mile Ranch Golf Course is a fun course, with tons of challenging holes, despite being relatively open off the tee. The strength of my game is driving the ball. I only hit 5 fairways, but, I only had one drive that didn't cooperate, on a hole I should probably hit iron on to avoid a thick stand of trees... 

We teed off around 7am and finished before 10. Does it get any better than that?

Doesn't get any better than that. Your kids first 18 hole round...priceless.