2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

45-45 at Totteridge for a smooth consistent 90.  😕

Did not play well, weather had kept me from playing for a couple weeks.

One thing I did well is avoiding the “you can’t miss here!” miss, other than one driver where I tried to carry a fairway bunker and came up one foot short. Dumb shot, because taking the risk and succeeding doesn’t really give much advantage.

I also learned it is possible to sh#nk a hybrid. Ouch.

Score was a little better than the way I feel I played, and it was a beautiful day on my favorite public course in western PA, so on the whole it was a great day. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Course managed my way to round of even in a constant drizzle with an average of about 50 yards of visibility due fog.   

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Typical 41/44 = 85.   I’m in a mid 80’s rut!

Struggled with the mid irons, putted decent, scrambled poorly .

Hopefully tomorrow’s round will improve

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

Just needed to get this off my chest.  My buddy and I played in a 2 man Ryder cup style event last weekend - best ball on the first 6 holes, alt shot on the middle 6, and scramble on the last 6.  We're both mid-handicap hacks, but played at a course we're very comfortable with and felt like we could put up a good score.  It plays short at around 6000 yards and our skill sets match up really well.  I told my buddy I'd be stoked if we finished in the top 25 out of 72 teams.  I thought the leaders would come in around -6 to -8, but if we were both on, we could break par.

We start out birdie-par on holes 4-5 (shotgun start), then a three-putt bogey followed by another birdie on the first two holes of the alt shot.  We're feeling pretty solid at this point as we get into the "Amen Corner" stretch of the course: holes 9-12.  It destroyed us.  It was my buddy's first alt shot experience, and he buckled under the pressure.  He shanked the tee shot on 9 into the woods, he blasted the approach long and left on 12, and he was tentative on the greens (he's definitely the better putter).  I didn't do a ton to pick him up. I chunked a pitch from the drop zone on 9 and a chip on 11, and ran my pitch shot through the green on 12.  We went triple, par, double, double and played those four holes at +7.

So we finished our "front 9" at +6.  Pace of play really slowed down here (the round ended up being 6 hours with 36 foursomes out on the course at the same time) and we just compounded mistakes.  This section ended up being the difference - it put us in a huge hole that we just never fully came back from.

Started the scramble section of the course with a tap-in eagle on the par 5 13th (2nd hardest hole on the course!) followed by a birdie on 14.  We had good birdie looks on the last three scramble holes and only converted on one of the three putts, so we did well in the scramble section but left some meat on the bone.

Swinging back around to #1 to finish up our last four holes, we were just out of gas for the remaining best ball portion.  Nothing bad, but we pretty much erased all the ground we gained in the scramble.

Finished the day with a (+6) 78 and a top 20 finish, and I was honestly pleased, knowing how much we left out there.  We hit 13/18 greens, and had 9 pretty good looks at birdie (12 feet or less) of which we converted 5.  We ended up +2 on the best ball, +7 on the alt shot, and -3 on the scramble.  With the 4-5 really bad shots in the alt shot, and with the 4 missed birdie opportunities, I definitely feel validated that we were more than capable of coming in around par, which would have put us in the top 5 (the leaders finished at -5 with only one other team under par).  We were the most dangerous twosome out there; no other group had as many scoring holes as we did (four birdies and an eagle), we just got in our own way.

The cherry on top was the skins game.  There were only two skins handed out for the entire round amongst 72 teams.  One other team had a birdie on #10, and we had the eagle on #13, so we took home half the pot, which basically covered our entry fee.  In a cruel twist of irony that was emblematic of the day as a whole, I reminded my buddy on the way home that I burned the edge on a 7-8 foot birdie putt on #10 - if I had made that putt, we would have taken the whole skins pot.

Great day.  I love this game.

78 Yesterday and 76 today. One birdie each day. Not bad considering I haven't played much the last few weeks. Plan to play more regularly through the Summer.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

image.png.a8861f16ef9d38106ff95fc15455cbe9.png

First 18 for the season. Was a lot of scrambling going on as you can see from the stats 🙂. The two 7's on the card are due to fairway potbunkers strategically placed that suddenly came into play due to the wind. Hole number 4 was a drive pulled OB and then me 'birdieing' the second ball.

Ended strong - played a betterball match and my partner and I were 2 down after 14 :-). Ended up AS after 18. One of the opponent had 24 shots on the course, so I was pleased with how I finished the round.

Distances are in meters by the way so add 10% 😉

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

Shot a 12 over 46 on my home course 2 days ago and an 8 over 39 at a different executive course yesterday. Putting has been off this week, felt like ballstriking was good just losing a good amount of strokes on the green.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

42 - 38 from the senior tees. Not great cause I needed a 78 to cover the 6 strokes given by my HCIN .

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Got to the course at 6:45, he tells me they are closed today for a tournament, but if I can be off by 8, I can go. Challenge accepted!

I didn't put on 3 or 4 due to sprinklers, but my 4 iron drive on 4 was glorious. 

1498433545_PXL_20230513_1409251392.jpg.f14c2716ac6606ed4377d72cee1678c7.jpg

I'm not saying the Haywood driver is forgiving, but if you can put a good swing on it, you will be rewarded. This slight dog leg left make for the perfect corner cutter. The fairway peaks at the end so I didn't see where it landed until I walked up on it. You literally can't get any more centered than that, I was very happy.

PXL_20230513_142914341~2.jpg

<edit> I was done at 7:50 🤣

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Club had their opening tournament yesterday, so waited until it was over and tried to get out first. Was paired up with a dutch tourist - retired gentleman, who was carrying his bag which is always a good sign. He didn't have the length, but made up for it by keeping it straight, and the two of us finished the round in 3:15. Had to cold start the round - straight from the car to the tee and should have played the first hole conservatively i.e. long iron off the tee, but dumbass me thought he could hit driver off the bat.

Bettered my last round by 3, overall stats were also better. Putter was behaving i.e. no three putts. One shot OB which was a brain fart. Still fighting a pull to the left, and for the life of me I can't hit my club between driver and 3 iron - hybrid or 5 wood is not co-operating. Indoor practicing did me no good with that gap.

image.png.b9319bf91ef4b34e400963a9b440dee9.png

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

Fairly erratic but weirdly pleasing 80 in my first club comp for 10 years

The good

Tee shots were solid and didn't miss a tee shot all round. Some approaches were exceptional, including a 9 iron from 134y to 2 inches.

The bad

Course was playing long with the recent rain and some par 4s have turned from driver & 9 iron from yellow tees to driver 6 iron from white tees.

Became tentative with the putter after a 3 putt on the 1st. 

The ugly

Too many doubles from silly places which is unusual for me - either going for pins that should be left alone or poor decisions.

Proud of the attitude though, kept it together really well and probably hit the ball as good as I have in a while across the majority of the bag.

882021800_SmartSelect_20230515_063256_ShotScope.jpg.ef2edd4dd9646fd7f8cf17300c47c4d1.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, 13ITZ said:

42 - 37, 79. Second time ever breaking 80, Stableford tournament so put me on 30 points. Sorted the driver on 8 and things started falling into place after that. Was also fun to watch the guy in my group have a PR 76.

Congrats on your score! It's always fun watching someone play out of their mind and put up a PR. 

• Like 1

Shot 79 yesterday as an 8.3 handicap.  Under 80 is a good score for me at my home club as the course rating is almost +2 over par, so it's a good test.  This was my first time under 80 this year and felt good to start to see some of my offseason work start to pay off.  Wasn't earth shattering or groundbreaking... no ah ha or i found it moments.  Hit some really good shots and a few poor shots that ended up in decent enough places to give me a chance to save pars and limit damage.  I know my next round could be 4-5 shots worse just was one of those rare days where things went my way for the most part.  My focus was good outside of one green where I 3 putted.  I had 2 really bad doubles on 2 of the easier holes but I bounced back from each.  I had 3 birdies on the round which might be the most I've had in one round which really saved my score.  I think there is a 75-76 out there for me this year just hope I have another day where it bounces my way and I hit a few more good shots than today.

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 1

Was traveling for work Wednesday, pulled up to a random course, asked to play 9 and hit a small bucket. Shot a 45 or 46, but it was one of those rounds where I saw a lot of good in my game.

Went 4/7 on Fairways but 2 were a club length off so happy with that. Driver was going straight and long all day had 3 drives over 290 with some easy feeling swings on a course I was blind on. Wedges I'm gaining more confidence on and learning my shots with different gapping so bonus. Putter was just meh, playing turtleback greens and learning the greens. 

Seeing what I saw I'm quite happy with future rounds and will play this course again, easy walk and enjoyable layout for a casual round. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Usual

42/44-86 Tuesday 

43/42-85 Thursday 

Playing 6700+ yardage courses are getting tough on this old man.

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

Got out yesterday and played absolutely terribly probably carded over 50, nothing was working. Went out today and carded a 47, with 4 triples. Had some good shots, some bad, putter was really good today. Feels like I'm on a little bit of an upswing coming out of a low period, so hopefully I can keep improving. 

Edited by Roejye
4 triples, not 3

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft