2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

On 8/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, Mrgreen36 said:

38 subbing for league. It gets annoying having to give my opponents 5-7 shots a 9. No, sorry your 4 footer for 5 isn't good. 

The handicap is the gimmie at that point.  Make them putt everything.  😂

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

79 then a 38 (+10 over 27 holes). 

27 hole tournament w a group of 24 people. Won low gross with some other single digits in the field as well. Had a 3 birdie in a row run after 6 just annoying leaky bogeys. 

came in third net at +1. 

rounding out by far my best season. Scoring avg is current 77.8, down from 81.2 LY. 7ish to a 5ish. Really in a great groove with not much to zero in on this winter other than approach shot distance control. 

Shot a 91 in 7°C/44F weather, I just could not keep the ball on the planet off the tee and was just a full round spend scrambling, luckily my wedges and putter were on all but 2 holes the entire round. 

Not really upset or angry over that honestly playing in that weather sucks a bit, took me 4 holes to warm up, then 10 holes of super solid golf and then 4 holes of awful golf as the weather just got too windy. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Golf round: 18 holes at Eisenhower Park - Blue

Date: 10/08/2023
Started: 4:10 PM
Finished: 8:24 PM
Duration: 4 hours & 21 minutes
Duration played in the dark: 1 hour and 24 minutes
Weather: 60° F, Cloudy and breezy (10-12 mph wind speed)

Takeaways:
  1.) No triple bogeys
  2.) Only one 3-putt (hole # 1)
  3.) Four 1-putts
  4.) One shank
  5.) First tap-in Birdie EVER on the Par 5, hole # 6 after reaching the green fringe (backside, 1st cut) on my second shot using 3 Wood
  6.) Putting was pretty good after hiccup on first hole
  7.) 3-Wood was consistent on the last 3 Par 5s, impact was clean and straight, finishing at +1 total on all four Par 5s
  8.) Iron play was substandard, at least three pulled shots and two low slice shots
  9.) Driving was substandard, at least three mishits on the front nine
10.) Finished strong on the back nine at 7 over despite playing last six holes after sunset / in darkness. 
 11.) Shot 89, +17 with a Birdie, 5 Pars, 6 Bogeys and 6 Double Bogeys
 12.) Bunker shots were acceptable
 13.) No practice before the round due to Golfers elbow that has been bothering me all season long
 14.) Used velcro-strapped elbow brace instead of the usual BOA-adjustable elbow brace in order to fit inside long sleeve thermal top 
 15.) Elbow pain was non-existent after the round and even after a few days
 16.) This was a good round to get in some reps and provide a confidence builder for my upcoming tournament next weekend. 
 17.) I've been considering shutting down my golf season due to the increasing pain in my right arm due to golfers elbow/tendinitis but this round showed me that I may still be able to play competitively in the last 3 tournaments for this year. 

18.) Fairways in regulations: 43% (6/14)

19.) Greens in regulation: 28% (5/18)

20.) Putts: 33 
 20231009_024027.jpg.2c5d7de2885d98cecd89966d01430758.jpg

Side note: There was a spectacle on the back nine among two groups of golfers, one group in golf carts and the other group consisting of two walkers.

My group was on the front nine and was pretty far away but it appears that the group on golf carts attempted to play ahead of the group of walkers that resulted in a heated shouting match. 

Eventually, it got serious enough that 3 police SUVs drove onto the course to handle the commotion. 

It looked like the group of walkers were vindicated as I saw them walking back to the parking lot while the group of golfers using golf carts stayed behind with the police. 

I wasn't able to find out what happened to the other group but I hoped that they learned their lesson and try to be more patient and respectful to other golfers in the future. 

However, it was still a shame as both groups were not able to finish their respective golf rounds.

With what just happened, I'm thankful that I was fortunate to play Eisenhower Park's 3 courses (Red, White and Blue) for the past 3 years mostly as a single without any incidents with other golfers in my flight or other flights following me. 

Edited by Golfbit2X

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

39/43-82 from the whites at the home course (par 70) with the new TM P770/P7MC irons.  I'm gonna like these in the bag.    One penalty (ball in hazard) and four three putts, two from 40'+ out.  Hitting the other local county course tomorrow morning with another buddy.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Shot my best round in a long time yesterday - casual round with friends, but we play legit golf. Well I do - they are all 20+ hcp and they will drop balls or roll out of a bush.

Beautiful fall day here in the DMV - played Little Bennet - hilly, Mont Co course. Was in really good shape - aeration marks just about gone (I would say they aerated 10-12 days ago?)

Shot 74 - Hit 13/18 greens...5 Bogeys, 3 birdies . Could have/should have gone lower. Missed 3 more birdie putts inside 10 ft. Had 1 3-jack and only got up & down 1 of the 5 greens I missed

Playing MD National today...hope for another good day

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

77 today...another pretty solid round, but not as good ball-striking as yesterday. 

Started w a Db Bog...but birdied 2 and 4...birdied 13 on the back by getting home in 2 off one of the best 3 woods I've hit in a long time.

But missed birdie chances on both 15 & 16 (drove it to the greenside bunker).

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Did a three-day golf trip with 19 other guys at Goose Pond Colony in Scottsboro, AL. 

I shot 87, 81, 83 which was about what I expected out of myself. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I got out last Friday and it had been 2 months since I last played.  Overall, it was rusty as I expected, although the first shot was a thing of beauty (chunked the 2nd shot though).  Ended up with a 96 with one OB, one in the water and several punchouts.  Putting was not great, but not as bad as i thought it would be.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

This is another therapy session for me.

Shot 51 - 50 with 2 birdies at Centennial GC (Meadows and Fairways) yesterday at my golf league's fall tournament schedule. 

Screenshot_20231016_184328_Gallery.jpg.902f02e8d47159b5cd4b03dbb72341a2.jpg

As a walker, I tried to walk this tournament but I underestimated the elevation factor that is always in play for mountain courses.

Looking back, the effort to trek-up due to the elevation was too much for me.

Based on Google Earth measurements, the top elevation was at 688 feet and I probably reached around 670 feet on one of the holes.

As a consolation prize, I won $86 from 2 skins courtesy of my 2 birdies.

There were only 4 golfers including myself who completed the full 18 holes in my division out of 6 that signed up with one golfer who retired due to health concerns.

I finished in last place but I guess I still counted more than a few silver linings including being able to retrieve my favorite Vokey 56 degree wedge that I left behind in one of the holes in the back nine.

Aside from the two birdies, one memorable shot that I made was a 3 Wood first shot (contact was a little bit low/thin) on the Par 4 8th hole which was listed as a 292 yard hole (see image below).

Screenshot_20231016_190027_Drive.jpg.1eddcd5d67258f9532f351b9e413720f.jpg

I've always prepped myself by creating my own yardage books when playing courses for the first time so I drew-up all the shots for my 18 holes the night before including my shot on hole # 8 that had an 89 foot drop (I use Google Earth and Grint apps) to determine which club to use based on the situation and more importantly based on elevation.

I was amazed that my ball ended up really close to the same spot that I laid out on the screenshot. Unfortunately, my 2nd stroke - a 56 degree wedge shot from the greenside rough was a bit too strong and the ball ended up at least 8 feet above the hole which led to a pedestrian Par.

That was a really good outcome for me as I was literally out of breath due to the significant effort walking up from the 7th hole to the 8th hole through at least 2 hairpin turns which had an elevation change of 107 feet. I think the 8th hole was the highest point at 693 feet.

However, the best shot of the day for me was an estimated 12 foot downhill left to right curling drip putt for Birdie that I drained after hitting a perfect 7 iron from 153 yards from the fairway on hole # 15.

I must say that being able to hit 3 pure shots in a row for this hole is a great feeling despite making a mess on the front nine with an 8 and a 10 on consecutive holes.

Side note #1:

I had to switch from walking to riding a golf cart starting on the back nine as we were significantly falling behind. My tournament director (I'm thankful that this guy is laid-back/even-keeled/never loses his temper unlike other guys from different golf leagues that I've played at) "suggested" that I ride a golf cart for the back nine. 

I also was leaning to riding as the walking effort was too punishing for me and increased the probability of cardiac issues.

While I admit that walking contributed to the slow pace, the two other golfers in my group also contributed to the slow pace, with one having a significantly long pre-shot routine that probably exceeded more than a minute and the other was making double-digit scores on more than a few holes. 

Side note #2: 

Read the tournament sheet more carefully specially on situations involving lost balls. I didn't realize that it was only a 1 stroke penalty for a lost ball so I had given myself a 2 stroke penalty at least 3 times.

Side note #3:

Double check tee-off time to avoid a 2 stroke penalty. I thought that my tee time was 12:30 but it was actually 12:20 so I had to hit my drive on the first hole by myself while my playing partners were already in the fairway. 

Side note # 4:

I will not be playing anymore mountain courses in my tournament circuit as walking will not be an option and riding a golf cart does not allow me to complete a good workout. 

Side note #5:

The starter at the Meadows course was a bit confused - he advised me that push carts were also limited to cart path only. I had to explain to him that the courses on Long Island including Bethpage Black (I've played it 4 times this season) allow push carts on fairways and green side.

I patiently explained to him that push carts are exempted from restrictions at Long Island courses, Bethpage Black included, even if the course conditions are soggy from continuous rain because the weight of a push cart w/ golf equipment loaded is less than 70 lbs. 

I think that he was confused because that because my cart was motorized that it was in the same class as golf carts.

Thankfully, he eventually understood my logic and allowed me to use it on the fairways but still, it was a bit stressful for me.

Side note # 6:

According to Wikipedia,  a mountain is at least 980 feet, so I consider it a small achievement that I was able to walk up 71% (693 ft.) of a mountain.

Screenshot_20231016_184328_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231016_190027_Drive.jpg

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

A pretty happy 86 at TPC Toronto Hoot today, it was cold and windy so the club difference was massive but played it smart, had some awesome shots just lost touch with the putter as it got colder.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Shot a 91 (44 - 47) playing another mountain course - Patriot Hills (Par 71) in Stonypoint, NY losing in a play-off as part of my golf league's fall season.

20231022_234301.jpg.8f0932d9ec170a3d332669e2272378de.jpg

This is my second mountain course I've played this year in consecutive weeks.

Technically, this is the first time I've played the full 18 holes even though I played the first two holes a month ago before it was cancelled due to a massive downpour.

Based on my previous experience at Centennial GC, I opted to ride to avoid health issues due to elevation changes.

I made my adjustments as well based on my takeaways from Centennial GC, focusing on my driver swing instead of letting the course intimidate me. I also readjusted my driver target to compensate for pulled shots. 

My FIR was good but not good enough (39% hitting 5/13). Due to the pressure, I pulled 2 drives in the remaining 5 holes.

GIR was also passable at 33% (6/18) while putting was also passable (34 strokes).

I had a blistering start with 3 pars on the first 3 holes but what killed me was the two quadruple bogeys on the Par 4s, one each on the front and back nine.

I could have won the tournament outright on the 17th and 18th hole but it didn't help that I had lip-outs on the remaing two holes. A 15 foot chip-in Birdie on the short Par 3 #17 hole and a Par-saving left to right five footer on the Par 4 18th would have been clinchers for me but it wasn't in the cards that day I guess.

On the bright side, I've been playing the best consecutive 3 tournament stretch on my golf league so far, finishing 2nd, 3rd and 2nd although the last two were't full field strenght. 

However, losing by less than 2 strokes on the last 3 tournaments really stings.

Side notes:

The 1 hour drive was worth it being able to see the fall foliage (see pic below) which isn't as good as what we have down in Long Island.

Going back was a totally different story due to the horrendous traffic everywhere as it took me double the time to get home. 

Due to the traffic, my Waze app went bonkers trying to reroute me almost at every 5 mile interval but thankfully my common sense thinking kicked-in so I just ignored it. 

20231022_133419.jpg.7b1549d52e32102986974ece29558617.jpg

20231022_142637.jpg.661433b037a91a556c33b002729a14ba.jpg

My right arm has held up so far despite my tendenitis/golfers elbow that has seemingly been a little bit more painful when lifting in a horizontal position. Thankfully, I only feel the pain when not playing. 

As a work-around, I've been on a "golf diet", self-limiting myself to playing only during tournaments or whenever I can get a tee time at Bethpage Black and avoiding any practice at the driving range.

I also have to improve on course management by avoiding short-sided areas as well as aiming away from obvious trouble spots that may result in big numbers and instead aim for areas where misses will not put me in a severe disadvantage.

In addition, I was way too liberal with my driver use and never thought about using my 3 Wood off the tee that day like I've done in previous tourneys that I've won.  

I think that I got too excited, literally licking my chops at the short Par 4 holes with 3 holes under 300 yards. One hole [hole # 6] was only 230 yards but due to the drop in elevation of at least 30 to 60 feet, I estimated that it would only be 200 yard shot. 

This is a good learning lesson for me to not get too excited when playing reachable Par 4s and learn to make decisions by also factoring in/checking my current tourney standing at that moment. 

Tragically, I ended up with a quadruple bogey on hole # 6, pulling my 3 Wood drive and messing up multiple bunker shots. 

Looking back, I'd still be proud of myself to get back into contention and into a play-off despite two quadruple bogeys and a triple bogey. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Played an impromptu round last Saturday.  Shot 90 on the nose and did that with 5 three putts and an OB. Driver was acting up a little but stayed pretty much in check. The one OB was a bladed wedge that soared over the 13th green and ended up just under the fence.  I played very well (for me) 100 and in.  If I clean up the putter I should be in the 80s. 

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

Shot 102 playing mixed (Middle and Forward) tees (6,331 yards) for the third time this year at Bethpage Black yesterday.

20231025_155440.jpg.3d134b5b73fadaeec8c0eafe1f3656ed.jpg

I was hoping to repeat or surpass my best score of 91 that I made this past Spring.

Sadly, it wasn't to be with my drives letting me down with 8 misses to the left due to pulled shots. My FIR was a measly 36% (5/14). GIR was worse at 17% (3/18) while putting was at +3 (37 strokes). 

I had three makeable Birdie chances inside 10 feet from the first four holes from the back nine that I wasn't able to convert on the Par 4s but other than that, everything else was subpar.

I think that I'll have to play a bit earlier to give myself a better chance as playing the last 5 holes in the dark makes it a little bit more difficult. 

Paying $49 and saving $26 is not really a good trade-off.

I teed off at 3:10 PM so teeing off by 2 PM next time should be better. 

Shot 81 in the wind, the mud and the cold (4C/40F).

Most frustrating round in recent memory and I occasionally went back to my old habit of trowing clubs.

Put 13 out of 14 drives in play but hit only 3 out of 18 greens. Every other iron shot was 15 yards short and 10 yards to the right and the others were complete mishits or smother hooks when trying to not lose them to the right.

I have no idea what it was that went wrong yesterday specificially but I know that my swing is worthless and I know what I need to do to fix it, the problem is that I have a dayjob and a kid and a day is only 24 hours.

Edited by Strömsborg

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Shot a 93 for my last round of the season in Canada, not a good round, my mind wasn't in it with some work stuff going on. Also doesn't help the last 5-6 holes were in fleeting sunlight and last 2 were in the dark. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Threw an interesting 79 at it today, first round in about a month.  Heck, first time even touching a club in about a month I believe. 

Takeaways:

1. With my speed training, I'm almost (-0.07/shot) tour quality with my driver.  Other tee clubs leave a bit more to be desired, lol. 

2. Other than mid-range putts where you have to match speed and line really well to make putts, I'm tour quality at putting.  Quite good from short and long.  

3. Short game is FINALLY trending up.  The pitch yips are gone-gone, but yesterday was the first time in a loooooong time that I started to feel a little "cocky" around the greens again, intentionally trying to do things with the shot instead of just fearing for my life.

4. Approach play is what it is for me.  It is my main weakness, but I should be able to mitigate that with good target choices, my short game, and my putter.  That's why the turn around with the short game is so YUGE.  

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]