What'd You Shoot Today?

Gxgolfer

Played La Tourette GC for the first time earlier today in Staten Island, part of 11 NYC courses.

A unique feature of this course is that it is integrated within La Tourette Park where the walking trails are part of the periphery of the course similar to the courses in England where the course is part of a mixed use public area. 

I think this should be adopted to more courses wherever practical.

Hole #1:

20240203_160719.jpg.94c6796ab6e180601224d71ce7a31ead.jpg

Hole #9: 

20240203_160722.jpg.99267cae5d89200b07e9ea02d7cd7577.jpg

Club house:

20240204_130556.jpg.c85f457f923ff0a3aa0a2f9ec562176e.jpg

============================

Score: 87 (+15)
Triple bogeys: 1
Double bogeys: 3
Bogeys: 6
Pars: 8
Birdies: Zero
Weather conditions:
Slight breeze, 5-8 mph
Sunny
Low 40s °F
Takeaways:
   [1] Got a good deal on green fee from Teeoff.com - $31.79, saved $18.20 compared to Dyker Beach GC
   [2] Only one triple bogey due to consecutive scooped wedge shots under 40 yards. Forgot to shift weight to lead shoulder
   [3] Practiced at driving range and putting green for the first time since December, 2023 due to tendinitis in the right elbow. The driving range was the worst I've ever used compared to all the other tracks that I've been playing for the last 3 years. The artifical turf was so thin that it was almost like hitting from a cart path/ pavement. Most local golfers had their own mats. I opted to hit from the grass from another driving range (lower) area not being used. Course recently had a change in management early this year so hopefully the driving range will be part of the improvements.

20240203_111206.jpg.4a4b7516146cb8d76b9bc8b68c994d52.jpg
   [4] Driving was above average at 53% (8/15) but next time, I need to quickly adjust aim to the left in order to compensate for slice miss. 
   [5] Putting was exceptional at 32 even though I had two three-putts. 6 one-putts almost equalled my best one-putts record (7 one-putts).
   [6] The course was hilly and challenging with tilted fairways; Alphard Club Booster's internal battery only lasted until 8th or 9th hole.  Additional weight from leaf blower may be a factor. Auxiliary battery #1 lasted until the 18th hole. Switched to auxiliary battery #2 from 18th hole to parking lot. 
   [7] Using rangefinder for measuring putts works. 
   [8] Almost lost rangefinder on hole #17 but was saved by John and Steve (?) who joined me on the back nine and volunteered to retrieve it as they were riding a golf cart. 
   [9] Most of the holes were soggy, drainage is an issue at certain spots in the fairways
 [10] Geese droppings were not significant
  [11] No tee markets except for 5 holes or less
  [12] No hole signs, more than a few tee boxes were under repair and only a few holes had tee markers.
  [13] Best shot/scrambling of the day: Hole # 10 Par save from greenside bunker shot from the right side of the hole, 30 yards away to 5 feet. 
  [14] Shot 3 strokes below my handicap
  [15] Two bunker shots were exceptional, landing less than 5 feet from hole.
  [16] Short game and Chipping was exceptional allowing me to score +1 through the first 5 holes.
  [17] Putting performance: 
           Hole #1: 3 ft. for Par
           Hole #2: 4 ft. for Par
           Hole #4: 7 ft. for Par
           Hole #5: 3 ft. for Par
           Hole #10: 5 ft. for Par
           Hole #11: 2 ft. for Par
           Hole #12: 2 ft. for Par
           Hole #18: 4 ft. for Par
           Total # of putts made: 30 ft.
  [18] Overall, the 42 mile trip, 52 minutes away to play this track for the first time was worth it. 
  [19] I played as a single but was joined by three random golfers throughout my round. The first golfer who showed up  (he also "forgot" to pay for his round) on the first hole was a teenager who wore his high school team golf jacket but proceeded to play poorly, shooting a 9 on the Par 5 hole. He then decided to call it a day and quit.  
         John and Steve, two senior golfers joined me on the 10th hole after they were waved through a foursome behind me. They both also worked as part-time grounds crew at the course. Steve proceeded to nonchalantly shoot 2 under, Birdieng the first two holes. I patted myself on the back as I was able to keep pace with Steve as I would tend to be rattled after seeing someone do that. 
   [20] I had flashes of brilliance in this round, producing two streaks, a +1 through the first 5 holes of the front nine and then another +1 through the first 4 holes of the back nine. I thought that breaking 80 was reachable after a +6 on the front nine but it was not to be.

[21] Adjusted yardages to meet 6,000 minimum requirements for my division golf league. 

[22] Successful scrambles: 6

20240204_005107.jpg.5e2893e566bd725ebd84ed8731f38dc5.jpg20240204_005142.jpg.92459f7a7dd1ae0db2c2e5a0bf128051.jpg

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

I shot 71 today 4 birdies 4 bogeys but course was shortened to about 6,000 yards off winter tees so not the best score but just nice to get out with the bad weather

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

Final day of the City Championship, and I pull off a 78 to win my flight! It was actually my first time playing a stroke play tournament.  We started on 15 today, and the 3 consecutive birdies from 10-12 pushed me over the line down the final stretch. This was the second lowest round I’ve posted (77 last fall), but I feel like this was the most complete round of golf I’ve played. 

IMG_0937.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Round was going terrible, hitting everything off the toe. Hit an ok drive on 5, topped my second. 190 to a small and slightly elevated green, it's a 4 iron for me. Trying to focus on the s*** in front of me and POW. I see it heading dead on, but I lost it in the sun. Get to about 50 feet and I see it. Not close, but squarely on the green. Totally made my round.

PXL_20240223_155741362~2.jpg

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Shot 84 (+14) with only 26 putts (10 one-putts).

Best. Putting. Performance. Ever. 

Set 3 personal records:

》Lowest number of putts in a round: 26

》Number of one-putts: 10

》Putts made: 87 feet (estimated)

Also, worst shot of the year, a drive that resulted in a chunky whiff 2 inches behind the ball with a 3 Wood.

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

81, scoring 39 points in weekly stableford, taking the win in Division 2. 

11 Fairways, 9 greens, could have been better, missed 2 putts for bird inside 3 feet and 2 chunked pitches.

Best day of driving in 4-5 months which obviously happened to be the day after i placed my order for a new Ping G430 Max 10K w/ AD DI 6S.  I wont get it for a couple of weeks, but seems the old girl has decided to turn up and fight for her spot in the bag!

Been busy the past couple days, so this is from 2 days ago. First round of the year, almost no practice in the off-season, wasn't able to knock any rust off, and the course was wet and the back 9 got VERY windy. All these excuses and I went out and shot 93, granted with a gallery drop and a mulligan, but very proud of how I played in tough conditions.

The wind was so bad that on one hole it blew my push cart a good 20 yards and on another it actually pulled the flag out. Unfortunately I never really took advantage when I had a helping wind aside from the hole I took the gallery drop on.

I was very proud of my shot shaping/making. Once the rust was off and I was more aware of how my shots were moving, I was able to try and draw or fade my ball a little to help fight the wind when off the tee. Also had a few shots where I  was basically at a full 56 distance, but ended up having to manufacture that yardage with other clubs. Then a couple of approaches where I was at a distance which my app said "soft X club" which I have had trouble with in the past, and I did the "grip down a little further and stand a little narrower while taking a normal swing" and it worked. 

Most importantly, my putting was very good for me once I got used to the greens. 32 putts with 3 3 putts. First 3 putt was the second hole, 2nd 3 putt was a dastardly pin position, very close to the drop off to the lower tier of a 2 tier green, and the 3rd was on the 18th where I got the gir but was about 45 feet away.

Mostly I was just happy to be on a course, and the best part? I took a day of pto so I was paid to be there.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Played Clearview Park GC (NYC) two days ago and shot my best round so far this year: 80 (+10) with two triple bogeys!

I also just missed achieving my life-long dream of breaking 80 (left at least 5 strokes on the course) and beating my best tournament score of 82 (+10 in relation to Par) twenty-nine years ago. 

The track has some challenging Par 3s with at least 170 yards over water to an uphill green as well as a couple of long Par 4s over 420 yards. 

Clearview Park is a parkland style course with benign rough that was a significant factor in offseting my low FIR and better than average scrambling. 

The views of the Long Island Sound and Throgs Neck Bridge from a high point in the golf course were spectacular which was a really great experience compared to the lack of views from my home course - Eisenhower Park Blue GC.

20240308_132357.jpg.fa50034dff78b4f86bde357ca24e6e87.jpg

20240308_130155.jpg.b15cbfd1edae88fba3cc49c789a0811f.jpg

The additional +5 miles distance was definitely worth it. 

Round details below:

Date: 03/08/2024
Temperature: 54°F
Weather: Sunny with light breeze under 5 mph
Score (Par 70): 80 (+10) (Equaled PERSONAL RECORD - Best 18 hole score, non-tournament round)
Total yardage: 6,105 yards
Round stats:
         > Started: 12:30
         > Ended: 4:55
         > Duration: 4 hours and 25 minutes
         > FIR: 36% (5/14)
         > GIR: 38.9% (7/18)
         > Scrambling: 58% (7/12) [PERSONAL RECORD]
         > One-putts: 5
         > Par 3s: +4
                  - Front: +4
                  - Back: Even Par
         > Par 4s: +6
                  - Front: +1
                  - Back: +5
         > Par 5s: Even Par
                  - Front: +1
                  - Back: -1

Birdies: 1

Pars: 10 (EQUALED PERSONAL RECORD)

> Front: 5

> Back: 5

Bogeys: 5

> Front: 3

> Back: 2

Double bogeys: Zero (PERSONAL RECORD - no bogeys in a round)

Triple bogeys: 2

Putts: 33

> Front: 17

> Back: 16

》One-putts: 5

》Three-putts: zero

》Four-putts: 1

》Longest one-putt: 33 feet (PERSONAL RECORD)

》Putts made (in feet) 86 (SECOND BEST PERSONAL RECORD)

> Front: 58

> Back: 28

Mishits: 

> Drives: Zero

> Irons: 2

> Short game: 2

Drives (average): 233.6 

> Front: 216.6

> Back: 250.6

Edited by Golfbit2X

Gorgeous day and a full bag of new clubs.  

IMG_0311.jpeg.1d885190b12dff1dc08e30f4d13bc7d9.jpeg

Stepped up on the first tee and knocked one around the dogleg leaving a SW to the green. Two putts and game on!  

39/40 - 79, best round in a good while. Two birdie with nine bogies and hottest putter on record.  🤩 If the first putt didn’t drop, second was a kick in.

IMG_0312.png.a075f5b0de151dbddead8a8eeaea1f7e.png

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

14 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Gorgeous day and a full bag of new clubs.  

IMG_0311.jpeg.1d885190b12dff1dc08e30f4d13bc7d9.jpeg

Stepped up on the first tee and knocked one around the dogleg leaving a SW to the green. Two putts and game on!  

39/40 - 79, best round in a good while. Two birdie with nine bogies and hottest putter on record.  🤩 If the first putt didn’t drop, second was a kick in.

IMG_0312.png.a075f5b0de151dbddead8a8eeaea1f7e.png

Chip-ins on holes 4 and 10, or did you just not record the number of putts? 

Because two chip-ins would be pretty special.

12 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Chip-ins on holes 4 and 10, or did you just not record the number of putts? 

Because two chip-ins would be pretty special.

A chip in and a putt from 10’ off the green.

I did screw up on 18.  First was in the water on a lateral hazard, dropped and laid up for 3, stuck a 7 iron 5’ from the hole and dropped the putt.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

After shooting a 10 over 80, my best round to date for the year at Clearview Park GC last week, I was a bit optimistic with playing Rock Spring Golf Club in West Orange in NJ.

I've been playing courses that I've never played before so it was a thrill to play the last 8 tracks including Clearview and Rock Spring. 

Alas, I shot my worst round so far this year, a 25 over 95 but at least I enjoyed playing only one of 2 public courses designed by Seth Raynor in the US for only $35 with a great view of the Manhattan skyline 25 miles away.

20240314_142304.jpg.eb22b30bab245ab9eeb54ec7eecd6d9b.jpg

During summer, the price gets jacked up to $150+.

Anyway, my best shot of the day came on the Par 5 - hole # 09, where I scrambled for a Par after my ball ricocheted off a tree branch into the fairway but back 20 yards from where I took my second shot.

I had 190 yards to the pin with a hurting stiff breeze and hit my 3 wood flush. 

My shot leaked a little bit right and was just enough to reach the right upper fringe 25 yards away from the hole.

I had a really good Birdie chip with a 9 iron from the fringe to 3 feet for a satisfying Par. 

I also had a good 15 foot putt for Par on another Par 5, hole # 14 after hitting driver off the deck for my second shot and then messing it up with a shank on my third shot. 

A good wedge shot to the green helped me setup an unlikely Par.

Even though I played badly or the course was a bit too much for me or a combination of both, the 39 mile trip was worth it. 

Edited by Golfbit2X

Slightly insane round of golf yesterday - 7 pars, 4 bogeys, and then a brutal 5 doubles and two triples. It was literally ping pong golf. Parred the hardest holes on the course, then had holes with 2-3 flubbed pitch/chip shots. As always in golf, the perpetual quest for some form of consistency is elusive.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

• 2 weeks later...

Forecast was 63F and sunny, 8-12 winds

Turned out overcast, cloudy 42F with occasional ice rain, 14-24 winds

41/43 =84 but wow was it cold!

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

Handicap is down to 10, the winter down south is paying off with lots of rounds played.  Yesterday was the last round in Houston at Willow Fork CC.  Gave up my membership to head back home in Michigan.  And it was a fine final nine hole evening round.  Two bad shots and one great recovery got me to a 39.  Short game and putter were the shining stars.  Driver was normal good play.

Shanked a sand wedge over the green on 3, hit a high sweet lob wedge back to ~15 feet.  Bladed my approach on 9 into the water hazard, played from the drop zone and stuffed it to ~15 feet again with a 2 putt DB.  Trust me, I will take this any day and twice on the weekends. 👍

Credit to Srixon for the great new equipment in the bag.  The TM Spider GT-X has been rock solid too.

ETA: first round back home is next Friday.  lol

IMG_0364.png

Edited by SnowbirdTom

TM Spider GT-X putter