2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

2 hours ago, dearth12 said:

Thanks for the replies so far.

I forgot about Pilgrim's Run.  Played it a number of years ago and really enjoyed it.  We will make that change.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a Monday round in July at Stoatin Brae around 1pm?  I chatted with a rep online and she was not able to even give me a ballpark figure because they use "dynamic pricing".  This, coupled with the fact that they don't allow you to book until 30 days out, has me rethinking the round on the way up.  Its nice to be able to give the others in my group a ballpark total figure for the trip!!

If they won't even give you a range, that would annoy me to the point where I'd go elsewhere. It just sends the message that they're going to gouge you as much as possible. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Agree with BG5.  Sitting here in my office, I could be in American Dunes parking lot in less than 10 minutes on bad roads. Everyone should play it once to take it all in and visit the pro shop. I Support everything Folds of Honor does but my group would drive to play Pilgrims Run 10/10 times before American Dunes. Maybe I’m jaded because I played Grand Haven Golf Club growing up and loved the course before the changes.  Not a fan of standing on a tee and seeing eight other groups.

Also agree with BG5 on Stoatin Brae.  That’s an hour drive for us so on the limit of where we go every weekend. I believe we paid $120 on a Sunday.  It’s very nice but we felt that we had better options and don’t plan on including it in our regular rotation.  

We love Eagle Eye and Timber Ridge in Lansing and make sure we go there at least once a year.  Agree about Black Lake, just booked a tee time there this morning, but only because we already had a tee time for Hidden River Golf and Casting Club.  That’s only 25 minutes from Harbor Springs and truly a hidden gem.

My June trip is Bay Harbor quarry/links, Hill & Ross, Hidden River, Indian River and Belvedere.  Played them all before and am Looking forward to Hidden River the most.

Edited by Net_5
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dearth12 said:

Thanks for the replies so far.

I forgot about Pilgrim's Run.  Played it a number of years ago and really enjoyed it.  We will make that change.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a Monday round in July at Stoatin Brae around 1pm?  I chatted with a rep online and she was not able to even give me a ballpark figure because they use "dynamic pricing".  This, coupled with the fact that they don't allow you to book until 30 days out, has me rethinking the round on the way up.  Its nice to be able to give the others in my group a ballpark total figure for the trip!!

I am a teacher and am always monitoring Stoatin Braes prices as I can golf time that most cannot due to work.  Stoatins pricing is dynamic but its pretty consistent.  I would guess on a Monday around that time your probably looking at $70-$95.  Rarely do I see it for less and if I do its usually any tee time before 8:00.  

Stoatin has some cool par 3's but my biggest complaint is narrow fairways and small greens that depending on conditions are hard to get ball to stay on it.  I also feel its a nice course to have in our area and I will gladly play it but it does not crack my top 25 public courses in Michigan list.  Again not saying its a dog track but if I had a chance to play Black Lake or Stoatin Brae Id play Black Lake everytime.  

Now if you have already played Black Lake and want to check it out then go for it.  Its still a nice track but their range totally sucks....have a putting green the size of my kitchen and the cart paths are like riding on a rutted out road

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

7 hours ago, Net_5 said:

Agree with BG5.  Sitting here in my office, I could be in American Dunes parking lot in less than 10 minutes on bad roads. Everyone should play it once to take it all in and visit the pro shop. I Support everything Folds of Honor does but my group would drive to play Pilgrims Run 10/10 times before American Dunes. Maybe I’m jaded because I played Grand Haven Golf Club growing up and loved the course before the changes.  Not a fan of standing on a tee and seeing eight other groups.

American Dunes is a must play but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.   I think it's pretty spectacular and the whole experience is top notch.  The greens are a massive upgrade from GHGC, amazing what taking out a zillion trees will do for your ability to grow grass.  Also, after hearing about what some of the prices elsewhere I don't even think it's particularly overpriced at $185.  Try and allow as much time as you can to really enjoy the experience - take advantage of the practice facility, check out the shop, walk through the Folds of Honor memorial.

Pilgrim's Run is also a fantastic course and a great value.  

On 1/11/2022 at 12:29 AM, GolfCarl said:

Has anyone played the restored Oakland Hills?  Hoping to get back to Michigan this summer and have a look.  I'm so happy that the membership restored their course to the Ross gem it is.  Hopefully the US Open returns to Michigan soon.

I got to play it at the end of the season. Never played it before the reno but I really enjoyed it. Hoping to con my way into another invite this summer.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:34 PM, dearth12 said:

Just booked most of our summer golf trip.  Haven't been up to Michigan in a few years and can't wait to get back.

Itinerary:

July 11th-15th

Day 1- Drive and Play Stoatin Brae

Drive and stay near Bay Harbor

Day 2- Bay Harbor (Links/Quarry)

Hills Course at Boyne Highlands

Drive and stay near Forest Dunes

Day 3- The Loop and Forest Dunes

Drive to stay near Arcadia

Day 4-  Arcadia Bluffs and South

Drive to stay either near Manistee National or Hemlock

Day 5- Manistee National or Hemlock

American Dunes

Sadly head home

Couple of questions:

1- Yes, I know this is a bit of "windshield time", but we want to play the best courses we can.  Do you think I am missing any obvious choices?

2- We have never played Stoatin Brae or American Dunes.  Anybody played there that can chime in?

3-  If you had to chose between Manistee National and Hemlock, which do you pick?  If Manistee National, which course is the better choice?

4- Or is there something better than Manistee National and Hemlock that is between Arcadia and American Dunes that I am missing?

Thanks for any help!!!

Very surprised no one has mentioned trying to fit Belvedere in here somewhere. I would skip the GR/Kalamazoo area altogether and head straight north to play a late afternoon round at Belvedere on your first day. You're then situated perfectly for Day 2 at Bay Harbor/Boyne.

I echo the Stoatin Brae sentiment that's developed above; decent course but I truly don't understand the hype or rankings it's attained, and it's certainly not top 10-15 publics in the state in my book. The pro shop and practice facility incredibly underwhelmed our group last summer, as well.

For my $.02, I'd much prefer to play Hemlock over MN; Hemlock is supremely underrated!

Everything else looks solid! This will be an awesome trip.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

I got to play it at the end of the season. Never played it before the reno but I really enjoyed it. Hoping to con my way into another invite this summer.

I was able to walk it on a rainy Friday morning in late October. Conditions were treacherous, but it was arguably the most fun I've ever had on a golf course, all things considered. I don't know when the next time my pals and I will have OHCC South to ourselves.

The course played soft and long, while the greens were muted, all because of the rain - but the layout is fantastic and the green complexes are challenging yet fun. If you play the right set of tees relative to your distance and ability, it is playable yet demanding in the sense that every shot requires a thoughtful approach. I'm certain when they throw the tees all the way back, turn the greens up and play with some testy pin locations, it will be one heck of a test for the pros. 

26 minutes ago, TooMuchAwesome said:

I was able to walk it on a rainy Friday morning in late October. Conditions were treacherous, but it was arguably the most fun I've ever had on a golf course, all things considered. I don't know when the next time my pals and I will have OHCC South to ourselves.

The course played soft and long, while the greens were muted, all because of the rain - but the layout is fantastic and the green complexes are challenging yet fun. If you play the right set of tees relative to your distance and ability, it is playable yet demanding in the sense that every shot requires a thoughtful approach. I'm certain when they throw the tees all the way back, turn the greens up and play with some testy pin locations, it will be one heck of a test for the pros. 

lol I may have been there the Sunday after your Friday because it was wet, greens were slow, but I had a blast. My buddies dad who we played with is a Pro at a course down the street and he worked there years ago for about 8 years. It was cool to get a tour of the place, a history lesson, and then we were sure to take a look at each hole from the tips (not that we played them) just to see what the pro's would potentially be looking at. He said he didn't like it, but I think the fact he spent so many years there and the fact the greens were not turned up may have swayed his feelings about the reno. 

12 minutes ago, N8dogg2669 said:

lol I may have been there the Sunday after your Friday because it was wet, greens were slow, but I had a blast. My buddies dad who we played with is a Pro at a course down the street and he worked there years ago for about 8 years. It was cool to get a tour of the place, a history lesson, and then we were sure to take a look at each hole from the tips (not that we played them) just to see what the pro's would potentially be looking at. He said he didn't like it, but I think the fact he spent so many years there and the fact the greens were not turned up may have swayed his feelings about the reno. 

We played the day before the MSU/UM football game - Friday 10/29. Next time you're there and need a fourth, give me a shout 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooMuchAwesome said:

We played the day before the MSU/UM football game - Friday 10/29. Next time you're there and need a fourth, give me a shout 🙂

lol, that was the same weekend. I played the day after the game. Both my buddy and his dad are state fans. I'm a michigan fan, but I hate Jim Harbaugh, so to be honest I didn't care about them losing and I bet on MSU to win outright and doubled down when they were down 10 or 11 points in the 2nd half. LOL, so I made a couple hundred on them losing.. unfortunately that dumbass ended up finding a way into beating OSU and winning the Big Ten, so now we are probably stuck with him for 6-7 more years when anyone with a brain can see that last year is not sustainable, and they are probably 4th in the Big Ten East next year behind OSU, MSU, and PSU.... Sorry, mini rant but I despise Harbaugh and the idiot michigan fans who refuse to grasp reality. back to OHCC, that was my first and only time playing it. My buddies dad wanted to see the reno and I was fortunate enough to get an invite. I have very very limited connections there lol. 

11 minutes ago, N8dogg2669 said:

lol, that was the same weekend. I played the day after the game. Both my buddy and his dad are state fans. I'm a michigan fan, but I hate Jim Harbaugh, so to be honest I didn't care about them losing and I bet on MSU to win outright and doubled down when they were down 10 or 11 points in the 2nd half. LOL, so I made a couple hundred on them losing.. unfortunately that dumbass ended up finding a way into beating OSU and winning the Big Ten, so now we are probably stuck with him for 6-7 more years when anyone with a brain can see that last year is not sustainable, and they are probably 4th in the Big Ten East next year behind OSU, MSU, and PSU.... Sorry, mini rant but I despise Harbaugh and the idiot michigan fans who refuse to grasp reality. back to OHCC, that was my first and only time playing it. My buddies dad wanted to see the reno and I was fortunate enough to get an invite. I have very very limited connections there lol. 

The NFL might scoop him up and take care of the problem for you...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1puttTUT said:

The NFL might scoop him up and take care of the problem for you...

I can only hope, but I think he burned his bridges acting like a nut job in SF and his pro days are over. My personal opinion is that he doesn't have any other options but is using the "NFL" and him finally winning something as leverage to make more money. 

4 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

I can only hope, but I think he burned his bridges acting like a nut job in SF and his pro days are over. My personal opinion is that he doesn't have any other options but is using the "NFL" and him finally winning something as leverage to make more money. 

I agree his was an a** in SF but big $$ talks.   Owners and GM are eager to win and usually at any cost.   I wouldn't rule out Las Vega giving him an interview.   Unless your name is Colin, the NFL will give you a second or third chance.   Look at A. Brown.

Hello, I'm planning a 3 night/4 day trip in May for my brother's 30th birthday.  We're coming from PA.  I'm looking at Boyne, Arcadia and Forest Dunes.  What are the conditions and weather like in early to mid-May?

We're looking at the following schedule:

Arrive Thursday: Play 18

Friday: 36

Saturday: 18 or 36

Sunday: 18 (depending on our flight home)

If anyone could recommend a particular resort or hotel to stay at that would be great too.  I've been focusing my research on the golf courses.  Additional course recommendations are welcome as well.

Thanks

Edited by BlueFab5

25 minutes ago, BlueFab5 said:

Hello, I'm planning a 3 night/4 day trip in May for my brother's 30th birthday.  We're coming from PA.  I'm looking at Boyne, Arcadia and Forest Dunes.  What are the conditions and weather like in early to mid-May?

We're looking at the following schedule:

Arrive Thursday: Play 18

Friday: 36

Saturday: 18 or 36

Sunday: 18 (depending on our flight home)

If anyone could recommend a particular resort or hotel to stay at that would be great too.  I've been focusing my research on the golf courses.  Additional course recommendations are welcome as well.

Thanks

My buddy got married in Petoskey on the second weekend of May a few years back. 

He was insistent on playing golf on the morning of his wedding no matter what. We played the quarry course 

It was 39-40 ish degrees, sleeting, and there was still snow in the bunkers that hadn’t fully melted yet. 

The only way we made it through was beer and whiskey. 

I personally wouldn’t plan a major golf trip to northern MI that time of year, just too dicey. You could catch a great weekend or be miserable. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

My buddy got married in Petoskey on the second weekend of May a few years back. 

He was insistent on playing golf on the morning of his wedding no matter what. We played the quarry course 

It was 39-40 ish degrees, sleeting, and there was still snow in the bunkers that hadn’t fully melted yet. 

The only way we made it through was beer and whiskey. 

I personally wouldn’t plan a major golf trip to northern MI that time of year, just too dicey. You could catch a great weekend or be miserable. 

Anything before Memorial day weekend in the northern half of the state is definitely iffy. On the plus side, rates will be pretty cheap.

• Like 2

At that time of year I would lean more towards Forest Dunes because its farther south than the Boyne courses and not as close to the lake.  Early May is somewhat of a gamble but mid to late May should be fine.  It might not be 75 out but usually the weather is playable.

But as others have mentioned above ya never know in Michigan.  If I was dropping big bucks Id go to Bandon Dunes instead 🙂

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

16 minutes ago, BG5 said:

At that time of year I would lean more towards Forest Dunes because its farther south than the Boyne courses and not as close to the lake.  Early May is somewhat of a gamble but mid to late May should be fine.  It might not be 75 out but usually the weather is playable.

But as others have mentioned above ya never know in Michigan.  If I was dropping big bucks Id go to Bandon Dunes instead 🙂

Bandon is a lot more expensive. I looked into Sand Valley but they are already booked for the year. 

7 minutes ago, BlueFab5 said:

Bandon is a lot more expensive. I looked into Sand Valley but they are already booked for the year. 

Bandond def is not cheap 🙂

Honestly, I have been up to Michigan almost every year in May and it usually is just fine.  I would go for it and you will probably be able to play some of the courses for a fraction of the price of prime season.

Id go for it and attempt to play as late in May as you could.  If you had to play in early May it probably would not be a huge deal.  Just have some warm clothes and you will have a blast

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I’ve went up for an annual outing the weekend before Memorial Day weekend for about 20 years before the guy running it called it quits, and the weather for those trips could be almost anything. We got anything from 75 degrees and sunny for the whole weekend to snow. All in all, we had more good days than bad, but I also played in some s*** I wouldn’t have considered playing in otherwise. If you do go then, either be flexible with your plans, or go into it ready to embrace the elements if it’s nasty. And avoid anywhere near the big lakes, because those are more likely to be windy and cold. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

On 2/1/2022 at 10:02 PM, 3_Jack_Par said:

I’ve went up for an annual outing the weekend before Memorial Day weekend for about 20 years before the guy running it called it quits, and the weather for those trips could be almost anything. We got anything from 75 degrees and sunny for the whole weekend to snow. All in all, we had more good days than bad, but I also played in some s*** I wouldn’t have considered playing in otherwise. If you do go then, either be flexible with your plans, or go into it ready to embrace the elements if it’s nasty. And avoid anywhere near the big lakes, because those are more likely to be windy and cold. 

Pretty sure 3_Jack and I have basically been taking the same trip for last 12 years and have replied with the same thing in these threads for years now.  In my case I am the guy running it and we've only been doing it for 12 years 😃

Anyways, I don't have much else to add except this is spot on.  We do it the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend every year and the weather is hit or miss.  The earliest we would have been up there is the 15th of May?  Up there being BOYNE, we mostly live around Metro Detroit, but some are spread out throughout Michigan. 

BOYNE is going to be a pretty affordable option depending on how many guys, where you want to stay (Condo or hotel rooms).  That type of trip though, you can easily be under $600 per person playing some fairly decent courses at BOYNE, right now we are at $540 for 8 of us playing 4 rounds over 4 days/3 nights and staying in a 3 bedroom townhouse. 

Mix and match however you'd like, but you can "add" an arrival round to your stay that first day, play 36 at Bay Harbor Friday, maybe do Hills/Heather Saturday and then something on your way out on Sunday.  The Condos at Crooked Tree are pretty nice and most sit right on 18 so it's a fun spot to hang out. 

This will be our 12th year going, and I'd say 40% of the time it's been shorts/polos weather, 30% pants/layers, 15% cold but doable and 15% we probably shouldn't be out there but it's a golf trip so we are doing it anyways.  As long as it is around 50ish and sunny, even by the lake at Bay Harbor it doesn't get too bad though.  Overall I'd say that's probably your ceiling in early May though in that part of the state with Lake Michigan right there.  I'd say optimally, you'd love to touch 60, hopefully in the upper 50s? Realistically, probably low 50s/high 40s and definitely a good chance of some snow.  

If everyone has a decent beer coat on and treats it like a bachelor party, hits up the casino that type of thing...you'll have a good time and the weather would be annoying at best.  If you're there for golf though, early May is a role of the dice. 

Based on what you mentioned though, personal take is go to BOYNE.  Fill out their form online for an inquiry, someone will email you back pretty fast and then you can figure out exactly how you want to do it.  Treetops is similar and I've been there too but I like Boyne more.  Virtually the same price wise, more options to stay at Boyne and I like the courses better plus Treetops kind of stacks tee times, not that that's as much of problem in the beginning of May.  With FD or Arcadia, you're paying more and are stuck with two courses at either site.  Yea you can piece mail it and find some other places nearby to ad, and while they're both awesome courses in their own rights, you're paying for it too which to me isn't worth it when the weather is so hit or miss, but it probably is for some?  Plus Boyne is close to Petoskey and there's more to do there.  

Also if you do end up going to Boyne, don't stay at the Mountain.  The Highlands or Crooked Tree are perfectly fine but the Mountain has two courses and is further away, lot of windshield time for being at "one resort". 

Anyways, good luck, ask more questions if you have em as I am at least fairly familiar with most spots in the state.   

• Like 2

We played Bay Harbor, it's OK, some strange holes. Definitely play in the afternoon when the price is cheaper. If you stay at Boyne, you'll get a better deal as well. I live in Ohio, but I join the Golf Assoc of Michigan for $40 (gam.org) and they will even give you 10% off your package at Boyne so it pays for itself and you can get your USGA handica on there as well.

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

2 hours ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

We played Bay Harbor, it's OK, some strange holes. Definitely play in the afternoon when the price is cheaper. If you stay at Boyne, you'll get a better deal well. I live in Ohio, but I join the Golf Assoc of Michigan for $40 (gam.org) and they will even give you 10% off your package at Boyne so it pays for itself and you can get your USGA handica on there as well.

Yea definitely more at Bay Harbor for the views than the course.  Some decent golf holes for sure but most stuffed in to give the best views.  Like for instance, I think the Quarry might be the most fun 9 holes I've ever played but at the same time I wonder if there should be a clown's mouth somewhere too.  I enjoy it for totally different reasons compared to say the Heather which I really like too. 

5 hours ago, timbo08 said:

Pretty sure 3_Jack and I have basically been taking the same trip for last 12 years and have replied with the same thing in these threads for years now.  In my case I am the guy running it and we've only been doing it for 12 years 😃

Anyways, I don't have much else to add except this is spot on.  We do it the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend every year and the weather is hit or miss.  The earliest we would have been up there is the 15th of May?  Up there being BOYNE, we mostly live around Metro Detroit, but some are spread out throughout Michigan. 

BOYNE is going to be a pretty affordable option depending on how many guys, where you want to stay (Condo or hotel rooms).  That type of trip though, you can easily be under $600 per person playing some fairly decent courses at BOYNE, right now we are at $540 for 8 of us playing 4 rounds over 4 days/3 nights and staying in a 3 bedroom townhouse. 

Mix and match however you'd like, but you can "add" an arrival round to your stay that first day, play 36 at Bay Harbor Friday, maybe do Hills/Heather Saturday and then something on your way out on Sunday.  The Condos at Crooked Tree are pretty nice and most sit right on 18 so it's a fun spot to hang out. 

This will be our 12th year going, and I'd say 40% of the time it's been shorts/polos weather, 30% pants/layers, 15% cold but doable and 15% we probably shouldn't be out there but it's a golf trip so we are doing it anyways.  As long as it is around 50ish and sunny, even by the lake at Bay Harbor it doesn't get too bad though.  Overall I'd say that's probably your ceiling in early May though in that part of the state with Lake Michigan right there.  I'd say optimally, you'd love to touch 60, hopefully in the upper 50s? Realistically, probably low 50s/high 40s and definitely a good chance of some snow.  

If everyone has a decent beer coat on and treats it like a bachelor party, hits up the casino that type of thing...you'll have a good time and the weather would be annoying at best.  If you're there for golf though, early May is a role of the dice. 

Based on what you mentioned though, personal take is go to BOYNE.  Fill out their form online for an inquiry, someone will email you back pretty fast and then you can figure out exactly how you want to do it.  Treetops is similar and I've been there too but I like Boyne more.  Virtually the same price wise, more options to stay at Boyne and I like the courses better plus Treetops kind of stacks tee times, not that that's as much of problem in the beginning of May.  With FD or Arcadia, you're paying more and are stuck with two courses at either site.  Yea you can piece mail it and find some other places nearby to ad, and while they're both awesome courses in their own rights, you're paying for it too which to me isn't worth it when the weather is so hit or miss, but it probably is for some?  Plus Boyne is close to Petoskey and there's more to do there.  

Also if you do end up going to Boyne, don't stay at the Mountain.  The Highlands or Crooked Tree are perfectly fine but the Mountain has two courses and is further away, lot of windshield time for being at "one resort". 

Anyways, good luck, ask more questions if you have em as I am at least fairly familiar with most spots in the state.   

I heard Boyne jacked up their rates this year big time.  Maybe not the case?

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

I heard Boyne jacked up their rates this year big time.  Maybe not the case?

I'm not sure? We book pretty early to get the "best rates" meaning locking in pricing before they make any changes back in the fall. 

We also go before Memorial Day Weekend when the upcharges for some of the courses kick in for the summer.  

All that being said, our trip is up about $50 from last year so a bit over 10%.  Not sure if that's jacked up big time?  If you did the 5 day unlimited golf package and stayed at one of the nicer properties; 10% would be a pretty good chunk of change in that case in my own opinion.  We also put 8 guys in a 3 bedroom townhome (PLENTY of space), that keeps costs down as well.  I'd say our price for the time of year we go is reasonable.  Around $800 per is where we'd start losing guys or looking elsewhere since you're probably over a grand at that point once you add in gas, food and maybe the casino or something from the pro shop. 

14 hours ago, timbo08 said:

I'm not sure? We book pretty early to get the "best rates" meaning locking in pricing before they make any changes back in the fall. 

We also go before Memorial Day Weekend when the upcharges for some of the courses kick in for the summer.  

All that being said, our trip is up about $50 from last year so a bit over 10%.  Not sure if that's jacked up big time?  If you did the 5 day unlimited golf package and stayed at one of the nicer properties; 10% would be a pretty good chunk of change in that case in my own opinion.  We also put 8 guys in a 3 bedroom townhome (PLENTY of space), that keeps costs down as well.  I'd say our price for the time of year we go is reasonable.  Around $800 per is where we'd start losing guys or looking elsewhere since you're probably over a grand at that point once you add in gas, food and maybe the casino or something from the pro shop. 

A friend usually went in early June for $650ish and recent price quote  for same dates, golf and lodging was over $1000

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

We just had Boyne quote June 23-26, arrival round, 36,36, departure round on their courses for 12 guys and it was $1,104-$1,293 pp double occupancy, depending on lodging option.  This did not include upgrade charges for Bay Harbor, Arthur Hill or the Heather which would put it close to $1500.

We ended up going with condos for the same dates and still playing Bay Harbor, Hill and Ross plus Hidden River, Indian River and Belvedere for $953 pp.  

• Like 2

Boyne is trying to rebrand the Highlands as a pretty upscale resort, so I'm not surprised that prices are shooting up. I know last year when I stayed there for the mid-Am, the room rates had gone way up in the main lodge, where we usually stayed (they renovated some or all of the rooms, so not a huge surprise), and we ended up staying in the Heather Highlands Inn, which is right next door, and more dated. I know they have a long-term plan to really upgrade a lot of the facilities, so it won't surprise me if that continues. 

The main lodge was the high end of the range and should clarify that we are in off site condos.  This opens up the off property courses and our group is unanimous on preferring Hidden River to the Highlands courses although the Hill course is close.   Haven’t played Indian River and hope we aren’t disappointed.  That will be a second 18 so it’s not critical that it be great.