2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

On 7/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, postfold said:

Anyone familiar with any par 3/executive courses in roughly the general Grand Rapids/Muskegon/Holland triangle?  I'm drawing a complete blank.  Want to get a brand new golfer out and don't want to overwhelm him.

Saskatoon had a nice little 3 hole course that was great for beginners.

10 hours ago, JMosey said:

Heading up to Marquette this weekend so my son can have a college tour (that's making me feel old!). We have a tee-time at Greywalls on Sunday... pretty stoked, but thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had any advice?  I'm around an 18 handicap and my biggest struggle is accuracy off the tee.  My wife is a beginner who loves golf but is perfectly content to pick her ball up and drop by mine if the course is too difficult or if it's just really busy.  Can't wait to get up there!

Hey, I went to that school!  I've never played Greywalls, but I have played the Heritage...I know GW is in a whole different ballpark, but the views are awesome all the way around!

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 7/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, BG5 said:

Sounds like an epic trip.  Please let me know the conditions of the Tribute and Hawkseye.....I want to head up there this year and those two were on my list since its been over 4 years since playing both

Agreed, very curious on the Tribute!  And enjoy the Larceny! I had a bottle that was a gift sitting on my bar for longer than it should have been because when I cracked it last weekend I really enjoyed it.  I've got some New Riff I am looking forward to trying this weekend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DennyJones said:

Our group played Fox Hills yesterday and I was very surprised that conditions were superb.   With all of the rain we've had the few previous days I expected it to be wet, it was not. 

Played leslie park and thought the same thing.Local conditions seem really good for all the rain we've gotten.  On another note,The mosquitos at pierce lk are horrible on back 9.

Edited by Jose c.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:49 AM, timbo08 said:

Agreed, very curious on the Tribute!  And enjoy the Larceny! I had a bottle that was a gift sitting on my bar for longer than it should have been because when I cracked it last weekend I really enjoyed it.  I've got some New Riff I am looking forward to trying this weekend. 

All the courses were in great shape. My only complaint would be the bunkers on The Legend being kinda rocky.

None of the greens were rolling crazy fast, probably 10.5 give or take 0.5 on all courses. The pins on the Legend the day we played were ridiculous.

The weather was perfect and we had a blast. In need of lots and lots of sleep now!

• Like 1

So, West Michigan...Grand Rapids (preferably the western burbs) to the Lakeshore.  Can anyone recommend a good instructor?

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

On 7/31/2021 at 8:19 AM, Jose c. said:

Played leslie park and thought the same thing.Local conditions seem really good for all the rain we've gotten.  On another note,The mosquitos at pierce lk are horrible on back 9.

Heard good things about Leslie Park. Just started a job in Ann Arbor, wondering how the course is. Any thoughts? 

7 hours ago, CRDuffy21 said:

Heard good things about Leslie Park. Just started a job in Ann Arbor, wondering how the course is. Any thoughts? 

I've played it several times.   You'll enjoy it.   It seems to always be in great shape.   It can be challenging with risks and rewards.   

On 8/1/2021 at 8:53 PM, 1puttTUT said:

All the courses were in great shape. My only complaint would be the bunkers on The Legend being kinda rocky.

None of the greens were rolling crazy fast, probably 10.5 give or take 0.5 on all courses. The pins on the Legend the day we played were ridiculous.

The weather was perfect and we had a blast. In need of lots and lots of sleep now!

How was the Tribute? I have always really liked that course, but it had really fallen into rough shape toward the end of the run with the previous idiot owners. I'd be glad to hear if it's made a comeback and is in better shape now.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

2 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

How was the Tribute? I have always really liked that course, but it had really fallen into rough shape toward the end of the run with the previous idiot owners. I'd be glad to hear if it's made a comeback and is in better shape now.

It was in very good shape when I played it in June, the greens were a little soft but pretty sure they had a lot of rain before I played.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I thought it was in good shape, especially for $70!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

Anyone played Manistee Golf & CC just south of both Arcadia's? I've heard great things, but any thoughts would be helpful before I decide if I should drive to play it.

That one's definitely on my list.  My dad and uncles played it last week and said it was in pretty good shape.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

On 8/6/2021 at 11:15 PM, putterboy75 said:

Anyone played Manistee Golf & CC just south of both Arcadia's? I've heard great things, but any thoughts would be helpful before I decide if I should drive to play it.

I played it a few years back. To be honest it's a fairly forgettable course, aside from a few holes along the lake which are pretty cool, but nothing and I mean NOTHING like Arcadia.

3 hours ago, VNutz said:

I played it a few years back. To be honest it's a fairly forgettable course, aside from a few holes along the lake which are pretty cool, but nothing and I mean NOTHING like Arcadia.

Agreed, other than the fact that it was basically dirt cheap and you were paying for a few cool views of the lake, nothing to write home about.  Pretty old course with smaller greens, some tee boxes dangerously close to greens as well.  For $25-$30 for 18 with a cart on the weekend, you won't be mad you played it.  If you don't mind spending a bit more I'd say Manistee National would be a better golf experience personally. 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:13 PM, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

So, West Michigan...Grand Rapids (preferably the western burbs) to the Lakeshore.  Can anyone recommend a good instructor?

Ian Hughes or Andrew Engels at GolfTEC. Excellent guys. I know players of all skill levels they work with. When I used to live there, I got to know them very well.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:59 AM, JMosey said:

Heading up to Marquette this weekend so my son can have a college tour (that's making me feel old!). We have a tee-time at Greywalls on Sunday... pretty stoked, but thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had any advice?  I'm around an 18 handicap and my biggest struggle is accuracy off the tee.  My wife is a beginner who loves golf but is perfectly content to pick her ball up and drop by mine if the course is too difficult or if it's just really busy.  Can't wait to get up there!

Wish I would of saw this earlier. Could of helped out. Live 10 minutes from Greywalls. Played there the other day. Tough greens. How did you do?

2 hours ago, JPG44 said:

Going to visit my son in Cleveland this week. Was thinking about playing Black Lake on the way home. Any advice, course condition? Will be playing alone if I can get on. Thanks

The Black Lake I know is a fantastic course, although nowhere near Cleveland 🤔

15 hours ago, JPG44 said:

Wish I would of saw this earlier. Could of helped out. Live 10 minutes from Greywalls. Played there the other day. Tough greens. How did you do?

I might hit you up later this fall if my wife runs the Marquette Marathon, if that's alright with you.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

On 8/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, JPG44 said:

The course absolutely destroyed me!  The yardage books were helpful but it was like I had never swung a club in my wife.  On the bright side, some of the deflections off of the granite walls were almost as spectacular as the views!

• Like 1

Need to get my loft & lies adjusted. Anywhere good on the east/northeast side? I live near New Baltimore, but work in Fraser/Roseville area.

If Carls is the best place, I can drive over there after work.

Thanks.

Edited by Ger21

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

4 hours ago, JMosey said:

The course absolutely destroyed me!  The yardage books were helpful but it was like I had never swung a club in my wife.  On the bright side, some of the deflections off of the granite walls were almost as spectacular as the views!

Haha me too. It's just a tough course. False fronts are brutal.