2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

13 hours ago, Chanceman said:

How did you like Stoatin Brae in comparison to HH and AD?

This was my 4th time playing Stiatin Brae and least fun experience. The course has no clue what it wants/is supposed to be. They completely cut down many long grass areas, which I understand why, to keep play moving, but now they are burnt out hard rock and patchy areas. It really took away from the aesthetics and design of the course. It was also the driest I have ever seen it, which is fine since it should be played this way. However, while the fairways and rough were very, very dry the swells in front of the greens were lush and vibrant. This is in direct contrast of how the course should be played if it is dry and you are running shots up. The greens were the slowest of the entire trip. Just awful for a course with this much potential. They looked quite shaggy. Same with the tee boxes. Awful. Add on the $95 price tag, closed blue stem restaurant because they cant get anyone to work and awful pace of play and it will be years now before I give it another go.

• Sad 1

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

33 minutes ago, Go_Blue! said:

This was my 4th time playing Stiatin Brae and least fun experience. The course has no clue what it wants/is supposed to be. They completely cut down many long grass areas, which I understand why, to keep play moving, but now they are burnt out hard rock and patchy areas. It really took away from the aesthetics and design of the course. It was also the driest I have ever seen it, which is fine since it should be played this way. However, while the fairways and rough were very, very dry the swells in front of the greens were lush and vibrant. This is in direct contrast of how the course should be played if it is dry and you are running shots up. The greens were the slowest of the entire trip. Just awful for a course with this much potential. They looked quite shaggy. Same with the tee boxes. Awful. Add on the $95 price tag, closed blue stem restaurant because they cant get anyone to work and awful pace of play and it will be years now before I give it another go.

This is what happens when you create elevated greens and you get water runoff from watering the greens.  This is my experience every time I have played Stoatin.  

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Hi All, taking the family up to Traverse City next month, and have an early morning round booked at Forest Dunes.  For those that have played, how is the walkability?  I've never been to the resort, and I'm sure people have their preferences for the original Dunes course vs. the Loop.  I'd guess just based on the design that the Loop is a much easier walk than Forest Dunes.  I still have time to switch to the Loop, so curious to see what kind of feedback I get here.

Thanks!

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

The original Forest Dunes is pretty walkable, IMO. There’s a few holes with a decent distance from one green to the next tee, but it’s not especially hilly or a difficult walk otherwise. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

15 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

This is what happens when you create elevated greens and you get water runoff from watering the greens.  This is my experience every time I have played Stoatin.  

Very disappointing to hear all that, as SB was on my short list for the next trip. Others I have on the list in that general area are Pilgrims Run, Tullymore, and The Mines.

21 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

I was a member at an old course here in Mass (I go to MI for work often, that's why I'm here - usually in the winter though), that was the same thing. 8 greens were elevated by 30 feet or more. Laying up, you tried not to get too close to the base, otherwise you have soggy ground and not firm(ish) grass. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

13 hours ago, Gdane said:

Hi All, taking the family up to Traverse City next month, and have an early morning round booked at Forest Dunes.  For those that have played, how is the walkability?  I've never been to the resort, and I'm sure people have their preferences for the original Dunes course vs. the Loop.  I'd guess just based on the design that the Loop is a much easier walk than Forest Dunes.  I still have time to switch to the Loop, so curious to see what kind of feedback I get here.

Thanks!

The original course is far better and its not even close. While I enjoy the uniqueness of the loop, if you only have time to play one, the OG is the clear choice. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

41 minutes ago, knickerbocker said:

The original course is far better and its not even close. While I enjoy the uniqueness of the loop, if you only have time to play one, the OG is the clear choice. 

If I’m playing one course on the property it’s Forest dunes. It’s one of my favorite courses I’ve ever played. The loop is fun, but not in the same category as the og.

A buddy and I are planning a last-minute trip to Michigan the first week in August.  We have Forest Dunes booked for 36 on Wednesday and 18 on Thursday before flying out Thursday night.  We are looking to fill 18 on Monday and 36 on Tuesday.  Flying into DTW landing at approximately 10 AM on Monday.  Any suggestions?  Arcadia is apparently booked up with zero tee times, as we had initially planned to play that.   We are looking at the Bay Harbor/Boyne courses, but would also be open to anywhere else worth playing.  Appreciate any insight from those in the know.  

Edited by kamizzou91

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Callaway Apex UW 19
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

On 6/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, Imp said:

I fly into Detroit. Rent a car. Drive to grand rapids/battle creek/KZoo area for work, so anywhere along that route... suggestions? Can even get up to Lansing (usually Sunday afternoon rounds which shouldn't be difficult) Then, I drive back to Detroit and fly out, offering another opportunity to play later in the week. Afternoon rounds after 4pm during the week may be difficult, but not impossible, and I don't mind driving an hour if it's worth it for those afternoon rounds, since daylight exists later in the afternoons/nights since west side of time zone... So... How narrow do you WANT me to be? 😉

You would need to have a connection, but the U of M golf course is an Alister MacKenzie design.  Great golf course.

U of M not being snobbish? There is a first for everything.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

19 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Did you see the price?

Unaccompanied is $130 weekdays and $160 weekends. 

Compared to courses in Az during peak season, it’s a bargain. Especially for such a historic course/Alister MacKenzie design. We have a Northern Michigan trip in August, will be adding it for sure while we’re in Detroit. 

$300-350 plus for Troon, Grayhawk, TPC Scottsdale, etc., etc., during our peak season is absolutely ridiculous and those courses pale in comparison. Not a lot of history in terms of design and designers here in Az. Although we are spoiled to be able to play year round. 

Hi everyone - I had a question I thought this thread would be well suited to answer. I live in the Birmingham area outside Detroit, but am driving to Ann Arbor tomorrow to see a family friend for dinner.

Where should I play? I'd love to play UM course or Radrick Farms but am a UNC alum which makes it a little more work to play either of those.

Thanks for the help!

On 6/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, AzSuperHack76 said:

Unaccompanied is $130 weekdays and $160 weekends. 

Compared to courses in Az during peak season, it’s a bargain. Especially for such a historic course/Alister MacKenzie design. We have a Northern Michigan trip in August, will be adding it for sure while we’re in Detroit. 

$300-350 plus for Troon, Grayhawk, TPC Scottsdale, etc., etc., during our peak season is absolutely ridiculous and those courses pale in comparison. Not a lot of history in terms of design and designers here in Az. Although we are spoiled to be able to play year round. 

UMGC has been my home course for the past 6 years. There is very little outside play. Some come in, but with the student passes and champs passes, the course gets a ton of play. Last year they oversold the student passes and it was ridiculous trying to get out. There are a lot of beginner golfers playing that course, which is fine, however they neglect to repair ball marks on the greens. Course could be even better but because of all the play and levels of play, they seem content with the effort they put into it.

Edited by Go_Blue!

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Does anyone have a recommendation for a teaching pro somewhat close to Rochester Hills? I’m currently a 5 and looking to clean up a few issues in my game. 

I’d prefer to see someone that embraces technology and increasing clubhead speed. I’ve been doing some work on my own over the past year (went from about 98 to 106mph) and would like a pro that isn’t going to shy away from moves/positions that will keep me on the path to getting longer AND more consistent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dino81 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a teaching pro somewhat close to Rochester Hills? I’m currently a 5 and looking to clean up a few issues in my game. 

I’d prefer to see someone that embraces technology and increasing clubhead speed. I’ve been doing some work on my own over the past year (went from about 98 to 106mph) and would like a pro that isn’t going to shy away from moves/positions that will keep me on the path to getting longer AND more consistent. 

I see Bret Hartman at OU 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, timbo08 said:

Is the affiliate status the only way to play as a Non-Member and Non-Guest of Member out of curiosity. 

The term "affiliate" is what they use in place of "member". You have to purchase an annual membership to become an affiliate, so they are the same thing. 

Full time students and faculty can play Katke at a reduced rate. Sharf is just flat-out private. 

Alumni get no rights or discounts.

Heading out on a golf trip a week from today. First stop is Forest Dunes to play FD and The Loop, then drive over to Arcadia Thursday night. Friday morning we have Arcadia South followed by Arcadia Bluffs in the afternoon, then hopefully a little bit of time to have a cigar and a cocktail and watch the sun go down before our Dinner reservation at Arcadia. Saturday morning headed down to American Dunes, and then most likely eat and drink until I am unable to move somewhere in GR and then head home Sunday morning. Super pumped for this trip. 

• Like 4