Northeast Transplant to Chicagoland - Help me find a club!!!

Migz22

I'm moving to the Chicagoland area as my wife is from there and am interested in finding a club that fits what I'm looking for. I know that it really depends on where we'll be living, so we're looking in the La Grange, Western Springs area, maybe Oak Park as well. I'm from NJ and grew up playing a lot of Seth Raynor/Charles Banks courses (Essex Country CC, Rock Spring GC and Francis Byrne). I really enjoy that style and am interested in where that exists in Chicagoland. I'm 33 at the moment, so I can probably take advantage of a Executive Junior membership at some places for at least few years if necessary/available. What I'm looking for is as follows:

- A good fun course that I can play every day and not get sick of. I don't want anything that is overly gimmicky as course character is big for me.

- Ideally within 20 mins drive of where i live. I don't mind driving 35 mins if I'm in LOVE with a club.

- A fun membership that isn't too stuffy or overly conservative (not to be political). I'm just not looking for the absolutely "exclusive" and "elite" type of atmosphere. 

- A good practice area.

- Costs that are not wildly high. A mid-tier to high end mid-tier club is probably what we're looking at. The absolute top end initiation is probably $75k and ideally is allowed to be paid over a few year. Would prefer to pay less.

- Family club would be ideal, but I could be ok with just a golf club if the cost was right.

Seems like since Covid there has been a pretty healthy spike in membership inquires and cash on hand for clubs, so I think I may need to move fast. I've been doing some research and a few clubs have popped up that I'd love some more detail on as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated on Edgewood Valley CC, La Grange CC, Ruth Lake CC, The Beverly CC, and Midlothian CC. Olympia Fields seems to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but it seems to be a bit of a hike from where I'm moving.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Of the clubs you listed, I would definitely check out Beverly CC.  Great Donald Ross course that was just renovated.  Excellent practice facilities and a good membership.  Ruth Lake is a fun course, but don't know much about the membership.  Edgewood Valley is also a very fine course.

I'd also look into Chicago Highlands.  It is a newer club, with an Art Hills designed course.   OFCC is a terrific club with 36 championship holes, but you're right, it is a bit of a hike.

Of the ones you mentioned, Beverly is the best golf course and Edgewood Valley is also very good. Olympia obviously needs no explanation, but probably relevant to consider that it is a much bigger club that is going to have a different feel than all the others you mentioned. 

I'd figure out where you are going to live first, because proximity for a lot of these clubs is going to be a huge asset. The best club is the one you use! Seriously though, in many ways the culture of the club is going to track a bit to where it is located, and many of these clubs are not so different from each other that you're going to want to drive past several good clubs just to get to the one to which you belong. 

Others that you may want on your list: Flossmoor CC (depending on how far south you end up, very close to Olympia), Oak Park CC, River Forest CC, Hinsdale CC. 

I'm not sure what membership and wait lists look like everywhere, but I do know that we just closed our junior membership funnel based on strong performance the last few years. 

DM me if you have more specific questions

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

I echo the Beverly love. I have a good friend who is a member there and it is pretty easily the most comfortable club that I have been to in Chicago. The guys I have met there are great, it’s casual, but still nice and they want to have a good time. 

Practice facilities have improved since they took out the swimming pool and repurposed that land and it appears that they are on the verge of improving them even more. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

LaGrange won’t meet your criteria. The practice area there stinks and the course is boring. You can literally see all the way across. It’s a Langford design but it doesn’t feel like it. So many redesigns and updates over the years. 
I’d also suggest Chicago Highlands. Not sure if it will met your price point but the course is really fun. Great practice area. Family friendly. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 3/31/2021 at 10:36 AM, Migz22 said:

I'm moving to the Chicagoland area as my wife is from there and am interested in finding a club that fits what I'm looking for. I know that it really depends on where we'll be living, so we're looking in the La Grange, Western Springs area, maybe Oak Park as well. I'm from NJ and grew up playing a lot of Seth Raynor/Charles Banks courses (Essex Country CC, Rock Spring GC and Francis Byrne). I really enjoy that style and am interested in where that exists in Chicagoland. I'm 33 at the moment, so I can probably take advantage of a Executive Junior membership at some places for at least few years if necessary/available. What I'm looking for is as follows:

- A good fun course that I can play every day and not get sick of. I don't want anything that is overly gimmicky as course character is big for me.

- Ideally within 20 mins drive of where i live. I don't mind driving 35 mins if I'm in LOVE with a club.

- A fun membership that isn't too stuffy or overly conservative (not to be political). I'm just not looking for the absolutely "exclusive" and "elite" type of atmosphere. 

- A good practice area.

- Costs that are not wildly high. A mid-tier to high end mid-tier club is probably what we're looking at. The absolute top end initiation is probably $75k and ideally is allowed to be paid over a few year. Would prefer to pay less.

- Family club would be ideal, but I could be ok with just a golf club if the cost was right.

Seems like since Covid there has been a pretty healthy spike in membership inquires and cash on hand for clubs, so I think I may need to move fast. I've been doing some research and a few clubs have popped up that I'd love some more detail on as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated on Edgewood Valley CC, La Grange CC, Ruth Lake CC, The Beverly CC, and Midlothian CC. Olympia Fields seems to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but it seems to be a bit of a hike from where I'm moving.

Any feedback would be helpful.

I do not live in the area, but I have emailed clubs in the past in case my wife and I landed in the Chicgoland area.

Ruth Lake I recall was $85k inititaion. Edgewood $75k. LaGrange $65k Olympia Fields $25k.

Beverly I believe was $20k.

Midlothian is by far the cheapest. I think all of the clubs require caddies.

Two clubs I have played are Rolling Green and Glen Oak. Rolling Green was just ok and Glen Oak was awesome.

Most/many clubs are going to be caddie mandatory in my experience. In general, clubs in Chicagoland are huge supporters of the WGA / Evans Scholars, and requiring caddies (at least during morning/weekend play) is part of this. This is perhaps something to get used to, but IMO it usually results in a better golf experience and provides a nice way for kids to have gainful summer employment.

One important thing to note is that you're looking at $40-70/caddie (depending on level) most of the time including tip and caddie fund, not what you might be used to paying for pro jocks in the NYC area. 

Agree broadly with the initiation fees referenced above.  South Side clubs are going to be 1/2 or less of everywhere else. Note that junior membership transfer fees are usually well below this, with some remainder due whenever you age out of jr membership 

Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

Yeah, caddies are generally mandatory if you walk country clubs around here (taking a caddy for a cart chase is encouraged but not mandatory, though carts themselves are completely unnecessary given how flat the terrain is) but they’re middle school and high school-age so it’s not a huge extra cost. 

The other thing to be cognizant of is getting stuck on a waiting list. I think Beverly has one and I know for sure that Butterfield has one. There is also a pretty thorough screening/vetting process at Butterfield. Some clubs are begging for members and will let you join right away. 

In terms of quirky rules, there are four men-only clubs. Bob-O-Link will let your wife pick you up but she isn’t allowed to get out of the car. I’m not kidding. Old Elm will allow women inside the clubhouse once a year but they can’t ever play or bring guests. Butler National and Black Sheep are also men-only with similar bizarro restrictions. My aunt was a member at Beverly for decades but they scaled back the amount they let women play the course and she bailed for Chicago Highlands. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

Quick update for everyone. Looks like I'll officially be in La Grange and am thinking about focusing my energy on Edgewood Valley, Beverly and Glen Oaks. I know that Edgewood and Glen Oaks are really nice all around family clubs. But what is Beverly like? Is it just a golf club or are there things for my wife and son as well?

Just a golf club. No pool and they aren’t wild about women. My aunt was a member for decades and when they started to restrict how much she could play the course she bailed. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

Does Crystal Tree fit any of your criteria?

More of a modern Trent Jones course, so that would be a change...

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Another that hasnt been mentioned is Flossmoor.

Family friendly and a 100+ year old design that had an award winning renovation 10 years ago by Ray Hearn.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

19 hours ago, geochitown said:

Another that hasnt been mentioned is Flossmoor.

Family friendly and a 100+ year old design that had an award winning renovation 10 years ago by Ray Hearn.

So I actually know Crystal Tree pretty well, as my father in law was a member there and I've played it a few times. The course is a bit too gimicky for me and the course just feels too "new" to me (if that makes sense).

As far as Flossmoor goes, I've heard really good things, but it's still kind of a hike from La Grange. If I'm going to drive that far, I would probably just try to join Olympia Fields. Edgewood seems to be "the leader in the club house" for me, but is at the top end of my budget and seems to already have a full membership. The junior membership is still open (which I'd qualify for for 2-3 years), but seems pretty restrictive. 

I need to figure out what I want to do, or keep my search going. 

yeah, I thought RTJ Crystal Tree might not float your boat, but funny that you know it well.

I've never played there.

Good luck on your search.

TM TP5x

Fees have been going up for initiations and dues this last year. I know it seems counterintuitive, but just as housing has exploded and interest rates are low, so have golf membership costs.

The commute is the prime decision to make. 2 questions that will help.

1.  Where are you working? Will joining this club be entertainment or networking for your job?

2. You mention activities for the family. Do they golf? Or are you talking other things.

Beverly is the best bet proximity wise, but it isn't a country club, just a golf club and they are very proud of that. It has great history and with the most recent renovation (haven't seen it in person yet), they are on the ascent. However, I believe they have a waitlist and because it is a golf only club the cost vs. benefit to your family may fall short.

OFCC would be great if you lived closer, however they do have a train stop literally right by the club to a gate you walk through. Used quite a bit by folks in the city. Costs have gone up, but have a South course renovation starting this Sept over 2 years.

Some may say go west or north.  North will be more costs and west has Black Sheep, but that is male only. Medinah is an option, but will stress your budget, although you get what you pay for there as they too are constantly updating their courses. Large membership but with 3 courses and a variety of family activities is more expensive but closer than OFCC.

Floosmoor is a golf only club now and right next to OFCC which has more value IMO. Highlands isn't cheap, but very close to you.

Will be interested to see what you end up doing, there are good options there.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 4:37 AM, Schley said:

Fees have been going up for initiations and dues this last year. I know it seems counterintuitive, but just as housing has exploded and interest rates are low, so have golf membership costs.

The commute is the prime decision to make. 2 questions that will help.

1.  Where are you working? Will joining this club be entertainment or networking for your job?

2. You mention activities for the family. Do they golf? Or are you talking other things.

Beverly is the best bet proximity wise, but it isn't a country club, just a golf club and they are very proud of that. It has great history and with the most recent renovation (haven't seen it in person yet), they are on the ascent. However, I believe they have a waitlist and because it is a golf only club the cost vs. benefit to your family may fall short.

OFCC would be great if you lived closer, however they do have a train stop literally right by the club to a gate you walk through. Used quite a bit by folks in the city. Costs have gone up, but have a South course renovation starting this Sept over 2 years.

Some may say go west or north.  North will be more costs and west has Black Sheep, but that is male only. Medinah is an option, but will stress your budget, although you get what you pay for there as they too are constantly updating their courses. Large membership but with 3 courses and a variety of family activities is more expensive but closer than OFCC.

Floosmoor is a golf only club now and right next to OFCC which has more value IMO. Highlands isn't cheap, but very close to you.

Will be interested to see what you end up doing, there are good options there.

I'm a commercial insurance broker and will be working in the loop when things go back to normal. Right now I'm fully remote and even when we go back, I don't think I'll ever be in the office five days a week again. Don't necessarily need the club for business purposes and my personal enjoyment is certainly the priority. I'm hoping that whichever club I join will be a good place for me to meet new friends, as all of mine will be back in NJ.

My wife "golfs" in the sense that she has a set of clubs and likes getting out there and playing a few times a year. I wouldn't consider her a golfer, though she has mentioned she'd like to play more. When I say activities, I'm really just looking for somewhere that has a pool for them to enjoy and some decent dining options. Anything outside of that is just a bonus. Crystal Tree actually has good amenities, the course is the only thing I don't love.

OFCC would be great and is for sure in my budget. The literal only downside is it's proximity to my house. In my opinion, half of the value of a CC is getting to practice frequently and I don't think I'd be able to do that at OFCC. If I joined Edgewood, I could go hit some chips and putts during lunch on days that I'm remote and could definitely play after work all the time. I couldn't do that at OFCC, as I'd likely be wading into weekend warrior territory. I could walk to La Grange CC from my house, but I heard that they basically have no practice area and the course leaves something to be desired. 

Welcome to Chicago.   I too moved from Jersey a few years ago and belonged to a Banks course (Forsgate).  I know someone else that is looking in Chicago right now and it's tough.  I live in Riverside (down the street from La Grange) and while Beverly and OFCC are awesome (Flossmoor too), it would suck to have to drive to them constantly.  Riverside is another you may want to consider (similar to La Grange, but with a practice facility) and the drive isn't bad.  That's not where I ended up, but it may be worth looking into.

22 hours ago, Migz22 said:

OFCC would be great and is for sure in my budget. The literal only downside is it's proximity to my house. In my opinion, half of the value of a CC is getting to practice frequently and I don't think I'd be able to do that at OFCC. If I joined Edgewood, I could go hit some chips and putts during lunch on days that I'm remote and could definitely play after work all the time. I couldn't do that at OFCC, as I'd likely be wading into weekend warrior territory. I could walk to La Grange CC from my house, but I heard that they basically have no practice area and the course leaves something to be desired. 

I don't live in Chicago so I can't offer advice on which specific club to join, but I will say that you are on the right path with what you said above. I've been a member at several different private clubs over the years and the 1 thing I've learned is that if it's isn't within 15-20 minutes of you at the most then you'll rarely use it. 

My current club is <10 minutes from my home and my work and I frequently go out there on the afternoons during the week to practice or play 9 or sometimes just to eat lunch and see some friends. My last club was 30 minutes away and the only time I ever went was on the weekends. Plus, your wife isn't going to want to spend 30-40 minutes in the car and traffic every time the kids want to go to the pool.

I badmouthed LaGrange’s practice area but on Easter Sunday when I went to visit my parents a club member told me they got rid of their old range (they had this 165-yard long piece of land with extremely limited-flight range balls) and added Trackman booths and turf mats. The mats stink but he said the Trackman is great. That said, the course is still boring. My dad could hit a long iron from his front yard to the tenth tee and he never even considered joining. He grew up at Beverly and mocked how comically flat LGCC is. 

I’m not sure if you looked into it but Chicago Highlands would be awesome. It’s very accessible (just Wolf Rd. to 31st Street), it’s family friendly, the course has a bunch of tees and you can play from 6000 to 7500 yards, it has a full grass practice area, architecturally it’s very cool (the 9th hole is modeled after Mt. Vesuvius and the 13th and 9th were both featured in Golf Digest), and there’s a water slide into the pool. I loved mooching rounds at Highlands. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

River Forest is a good, old school course, not phenomenally interesting but it is a nice place to play. I am not exactly sure on cost. One thing to note would be that they have a somewhat odd structure where they have both equity and non-equity members based on some decisions made during the '09 recession. I am not sure how new members today fit into that scenario. 

There has been a lot of speculation that River Forest would/will sell their course for the land value (very good access to the cargo side of O'Hare), but it has not happened yet. Part of this is complicated by the two-tier membership structure and the way they structured voting rights for each class. I'm not sure how real this is or how much it would matter, but maybe something to be aware of. 

Based on proximity to Lagrange, Hinsdale and Ruth Lake would be great options. Chicago Highlands, as mentioned above, is well regarded, too. I would have to think Butterfield has a pretty long wait list right now, although I don't know that for sure. Oak Park is probably farther away than really makes sense. 

Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

On 4/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, Migz22 said:

Does anyone have any insight in River Forest CC? Is it nice? What's the course like? Does anyone have any guidance on the cost?

I did their trial membership last year and it is a nice place. They were talking about raising the initiation fee so I think it would be 10-15k. Was a little to out of the way from where I am located so we decided not to join.

52 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

I did their trial membership last year and it is a nice place. They were talking about raising the initiation fee so I think it would be 10-15k. Was a little to out of the way from where I am located so we decided not to join.

Any guidance on dues? Nice facilities? Practice Area? Range?

What's the membership like? A decent amount of under 40's members?

15 hours ago, Migz22 said:

Any guidance on dues? Nice facilities? Practice Area? Range?

What's the membership like? A decent amount of under 40's members?

Course was in good shape. Range is a little short, maxes at about 260. Have a pool, no tennis. Didn't get a great feel for the amount of under 40 but did see a few around and the membership was fairly open to new people (only able to do trial for a month due to timing). Seemed to be plenty of early families around.

• 5 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 8:13 AM, King2500 said:

Any thoughts on Glen Oak? Based on where I live, Glen Oak, River Forest and Highlands are the closest to my house but I’ve never been to Glen Oak.

Someone compared Glen Oak pricing to Naperville CC, which last I talked to them was $10k and between $600 for juniors to just under a $1k for 40+.

I'd also been told Glen Oak was pricey so I'm not sure what to think if that $10k is accurate or not.