2021 Hugel-Air Premia LA Open (Apr 21 - 24)

Argonne69

1 minute ago, Obee said:

Was looking forward to watching today, since I play there virtually every year in tournament conditions. Why a Saturday finish?

Extra travel day to Singapore.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Just now, Obee said:

Was looking forward to watching today, since I play there virtually every year in tournament conditions. Why a Saturday finish?

BEcause many of the players will need to hop on a plane to fly to Singapore for this week's HSBC Women's World Championship ... and flight schedules and time zones being what they are, they lose a day traveling west to east.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

BEcause many of the players will need to hop on a plane to fly to Singapore for this week's HSBC Women's World Championship ... and flight schedules and time zones being what they are, they lose a day traveling west to east.

It's rather surprising that outside Danielle Kang, North America's best are taking it off.  But I guess if you're based out of Florida and apart from being on the golf course being stuck in your room can be Closter phobic and make you home sick having to commit to it for 4 weeks. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Stooch said:

It's rather surprising that outside Danielle Kang, North America's best are taking it off.  But I guess if you're based out of Florida and apart from being on the golf course being stuck in your room can be Closter phobic and make you home sick having to commit to it for 4 weeks. 

It is a very tiring stretch for sure.  And the "jet lag" coming back to North America can be a bit nasty for sure.  It's like you are staying up for 30 hours straight ... from the morning you wake up in East Asia, to the flight back and then landing in more day time.  When I used to travel regularly from China/Japan back to North America, my physician prescribed me 4 tablets to help me sleep for the flight back.  Once I started doing that, the jetlag became much more manageable.  

As for taking it off ... I wonder how much of an effect that the Blue Bay event's cancellation had on their plans?  

Personally, I think it is the right thing to do ... hopefully these players will hit Olympic Club and get some reconnaissance work in.  The more familiar they are with the course and set up, the more comfortable and prepared they will be come June.  

27 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Personally, I think it is the right thing to do ... hopefully these players will hit Olympic Club and get some reconnaissance work in.  The more familiar they are with the course and set up, the more comfortable and prepared they will be come June.  

ha ha I came here to post exactly this in the US open thread, just read your comment first.  Yeah, I'm betting the Olympic Club will be quite busy the next couple days, I know Michelle Wie West will be there tomorrow.

Entertaining event, especially since I used to play Wilshire when I was friends with some members...haven't played it in ages, but it seems fairly unchanged.  #18 is #10, and #17 is #18 when I last played...did they change that, or is it just for this tournament?

The par 3 12th was always a brute...just a really awkward tee shot...I've seen people hit it off the condos!  Not a big fan of drivable par 4s with no downside...moving up the tee on #14 didn't seem to add anything to the strategy.  For all the talk of the barranca (which any member will bore you with too!), I don't think I saw a single shot in it.

Well done by BH...those two birdies on 11/12 won the tournament for her.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, manku said:

Entertaining event, especially since I used to play Wilshire when I was friends with some members...haven't played it in ages, but it seems fairly unchanged.  #18 is #10, and #17 is #18 when I last played...did they change that, or is it just for this tournament?

The par 3 12th was always a brute...just a really awkward tee shot...I've seen people hit it off the condos!  Not a big fan of drivable par 4s with no downside...moving up the tee on #14 didn't seem to add anything to the strategy.  For all the talk of the barranca (which any member will bore you with too!), I don't think I saw a single shot in it.

Well done by BH...those two birdies on 11/12 won the tournament for her.  

Finishing on the par 3 10th is just for the tournament I believe.

Agree with the 14th. It didn't seem to add much drama, other than the leaders failing to make birdie. Sei Young put one in the barranca on Friday.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

As for taking it off ... I wonder how much of an effect that the Blue Bay event's cancellation had on their plans?  

My guess is that it didn't change a lot of plans. For the players who skipped this week, they'd likely fly to Singapore a few days early, and play the three Asian events in three weeks before returning to the U.S. I can't imagine most would want to fly to the east coast to play the Kingsmill event, and then backtrack to Vegas and San Francisco. I assume they'd play the Vegas team event as warm-up for the USWO. With an extra week open perhaps a few would play Kingsmill, and then skip Vegas.

I think Kingsmill will be the big winner in the change. With a free week between the Honda and Kingsmill, perhaps a few more top players will trek to the east coast, especially those not planning to play in Vegas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. Yeah, like Daniel Berger moves the needle. Sergio is a real speed demon I hear.

Ever watch Danielle?

spacer.png

Watching the Zurich Classic. The team of Oosthuizen and Schwartzel took 2:07 on their putt on the 6th. Ball broke 6 inches. 

Three hours to play the final 12 holes (alternate shot). 

Yeah, real speed demons. 

Slow play is a plague on all the top tours. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stooch said:

I think Brooke's putting has been so bad lately, it was in her head the whole day.  I called it the yips when she was making too many 3-putts (still 3 this week) and I think it was similar type yips not being able to pull the trigger, whether through caution or fear, sorta like Kevin Na on the tee except not as bad.  But I guess that's what the last 2 winners have in common, whether intentionally or not, both used slow play in their careers in the final round, that got in their opponents head and allowed them to win an event.

I absolutely agree, and it is what i was thinking of when i said it wasn't intentional gaming. I think Brooke ought to scrap her putting stroke all together and start again. It might be hard to do that when you are a top 10 player in the world, but it is what is holding her back. Every time she putts half well she will speak very positively about her putting in interviews. I tend to think that she just got away with it. The short stab does not hold up under pressure and on tricky greens, except she just won a tournament with it - so what do i know?!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

I absolutely agree, and it is what i was thinking of when i said it wasn't intentional gaming. I think Brooke ought to scrap her putting stroke all together and start again. It might be hard to do that when you are a top 10 player in the world, but it is what is holding her back. Every time she putts half well she will speak very positively about her putting in interviews. I tend to think that she just got away with it. The short stab does not hold up under pressure and on tricky greens, except she just won a tournament with it - so what do i know?!

Yeah, Brooke's putting stroke is ugly lol.  I would be fine with a total rebuild.  Watching Brooke putt bring out the same reaction as watching Charles Barkley hit the driver lol

• Haha 1

Brooke's winning WITB. Still surprised to see the G400's in her bag.

Driver: Ping G400 (9 degrees @7.7) (small – hosel setting, D8+)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD VR 5 X (48 inches)

3-wood: G400 Stretch (13 degrees @14) (D8)
Shaft: Alta CB Orange 65 XS (44.5 inches)

5-wood: Ping G400 (17.5 degrees ) (small + hosel setting, D0)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6 X (41.5 inches, tipped .5 inches)

Hybrid: Ping G400 4H (22 degrees @22.75) (1 degree flat)
Shaft Fujikura Pro 73 R (-.5 inch)

Irons: Ping i210 (5-UW) (2.25 degrees flat, D2-D3)
Shafts: Nippon Nippon Modus3 105 S (-.75 inches)

Wedges: Ping Glide Forged (52 @53, 60 @64) (2.25 degrees flat, D0+, D2)
Shafts: Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch (33 inches, 23-degree lie, 2-degree loft)

Grips: Ping 360 ID8 aqua +1 wrap

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Brooke's winning WITB. Still surprised to see the G400's in her bag.

Driver: Ping G400 (9 degrees @7.7) (small – hosel setting, D8+)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD VR 5 X (48 inches)

3-wood: G400 Stretch (13 degrees @14) (D8)
Shaft: Alta CB Orange 65 XS (44.5 inches)

5-wood: Ping G400 (17.5 degrees ) (small + hosel setting, D0)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6 X (41.5 inches, tipped .5 inches)

Hybrid: Ping G400 4H (22 degrees @22.75) (1 degree flat)
Shaft Fujikura Pro 73 R (-.5 inch)

Irons: Ping i210 (5-UW) (2.25 degrees flat, D2-D3)
Shafts: Nippon Nippon Modus3 105 S (-.75 inches)

Wedges: Ping Glide Forged (52 @53, 60 @64) (2.25 degrees flat, D0+, D2)
Shafts: Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch (33 inches, 23-degree lie, 2-degree loft)

Grips: Ping 360 ID8 aqua +1 wrap

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

While Brooke probably has had 30 different types/variation of putters since coming on tour, driver is kinda of a bread and butter club, I'm quite certain Ping's new version of the club better be doing something impressive to get her consider changing, if you are already straight and long compared to the LPGA field, it's kinda like make a swing change and just hoping things will be a little bit better.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stooch said:

While Brooke probably has had 30 different types/variation of putters since coming on tour, driver is kinda of a bread and butter club, I'm quite certain Ping's new version of the club better be doing something impressive to get her consider changing, if you are already straight and long compared to the LPGA field, it's kinda like make a swing change and just hoping things will be a little bit better.

I'm curious if the PGA pros put a new driver into the bag each season because they are contractually obligated to do so, or if extensive testing with the manufacturer reps show that there's some marked improvement. The manufacturers' equipment vans are on site at every tournament, so access to equipment and fitting services doesn't want.

As far as I'm aware the fitting vans are not at the LPGA tournaments. How frequently can a player get their hands on the newer equipment for proper fitting sessions? 

Browsing the Ping website, it appears that Ally, Dana, Esther, Jennifer, Bianca, Jane, Lizette, Angela, Marissa, Jackie, Elizabeth, and Charlotte are playing a version of the G425 driver. The other players are still playing the G410 or G400. Given that the majority have switched, it would seem that they've had a chance to do a proper fitting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm curious if the PGA pros put a new driver into the bag each season because they are contractually obligated to do so, or if extensive testing with the manufacturer reps show that there's some marked improvement. The manufacturers' equipment vans are on site at every tournament, so access to equipment and fitting services doesn't want.

As far as I'm aware the fitting vans are not at the LPGA tournaments. How frequently can a player get their hands on the newer equipment for proper fitting sessions? 

Browsing the Ping website, it appears that Ally, Dana, Esther, Jennifer, Bianca, Jane, Lizette, Angela, Marissa, Jackie, Elizabeth, and Charlotte are playing a version of the G425 driver. The other players are still playing the G410 or G400. Given that the majority have switched, it would seem that they've had a chance to do a proper fitting.

I think it depends on who you are and where you are in your career.  Ping had Brooke before she turned pro and her first pro contract probably favored Ping as remember her having the newest and the latest in her bag and seemed to relax by the end of her first contract. Now in her 2nd contract (I think) basically it's just play Ping products.  But if the manufacturer can say player "X" won using Ping clubs, that's really what you're paying for.  I think top pro's probably have more flexibility contractually if proven winners other pro's probably have tighter controls in the contract.  Although I bet contracts are much stricter on the LPGA with much less ROI, you're gonna want them playing and pimping your products. 

25 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I cannot speak for Titleist, but I do know that they have a "seeding" program for the tour pros (PGA) to try the clubs out and put them into play.  It is most noticeable with items such as wedges, irons and balls ... not soo much with drivers.    Again, I cannot speak for Titleist, but I suspect that those that are sponsored by Titleist will probably have to have a minimum number of clubs in the bag, tour bag, etc.  

Edited by Golf Dino

31 minutes ago, Lobby said:

Will that rule change to 46" really impact her?   I ask bc she chokes down on the club so much...

Honestly, she will probably lose some degree of accuracy for a little bit but probably gain 5 yards in distance and a touch more club head speed with a more proper grip.  Seamus right though, Brooke ain't happy about it, she don't like change, especially with the driver lol

3 hours ago, Stooch said:

I'm thinking Brooke's swing will look almost like this if club length rule is changed.

(90) John Daly hitting Insane Long drives! - YouTube

Ahhh the original Mr. Grip it and Rip it of the "1990s - Present)!  

As for Brooke, she needs to get it right in her mind that the 46" Driver will be the same given where she gripped it on the 48" driver ... perhaps add some weighting to the butt-end of the shaft to approximate the balance she would have if she was gripping down on it.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Ahhh the original Mr. Grip it and Rip it of the "1990s - Present)!  

As for Brooke, she needs to get it right in her mind that the 46" Driver will be the same given where she gripped it on the 48" driver ... perhaps add some weighting to the butt-end of the shaft to approximate the balance she would have if she was gripping down on it.

With her gripping down, one would assume the area where her hands are is a smaller diameter than if she used the full grip. Going to a 46" would either force her to not choke down, or choke down to find that old feeling of a smaller grip.

With her choking down on a 48, it looks as though she's likely playing at 45 1/2" or 46". Choke down on a 46, and it's likely playing at 43 1/2 or 44. Could lose a few yards, but gain accuracy.

She just needs to man up in the off season, go full on normal grip with a 46 and drop bomb's.

Edited by ChronicSlicer