Used Titleist Pro-V1 & Pro-V1x golf balls

Can a golf beginner tell the differences between hitting a cheap golf ball versus a Titleist Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x?  Can an advanced golfer tell the differences between hitting a new Titleist Pro-v1 and a used Pro-V1?

The reason I am asking is that a dozen of Titleist Pro-V1 goes for $50 but a used Pro-V1 or V1x can go for much less.  I found a place that sell 150 used Titleist Pro-V1 golf balls for $100.  The golf balls are literally AAAA ratings and literally new, with no scratch on them.  The balls do have companies logos or name on them, like Cisco Systems, Oracle, SAP, Saleforce, etc... in addition to Titleist Pro-V1 on the ball.  

Is it a good deal?  Can anyone comment on this?  

Simple answer would be yes, even a beginner can tell a difference between a Pro V1 and some cheap surlyn ball.  Main thing that comes to mind is when that beginner happens to strike an approach shot really well right at the flag, and the Pro V1 stays near the pitch mark, whereas a cheap low spin ball may go bounding off the back of the green.  This debate ultimately devolves into should a beginner be spending his/her money on expensive balls, which is entirely a personal question.  To your second question, an advanced golfer likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference on ball flight/performance alone between a new or used Pro V1, until the "used" amount gets to a point that the cover is blemished enough to affect flight performance. $0.67/ball for Pro V1s seems like a great deal.  One thing to watch though is that batch of 100 probably spans across multiple release years, including the time span where Pro V1 switched from being the higher spinning ball to the lower launch/spin ball, so they may play differently from each other.   

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

1 minute ago, Tanner25 said:

How do practice balls compare to used?

The „PRACTICE“ stamped V1‘s I bought for a while felt and played like the real ones, but they’re usually used, as well. At least from where I bought them. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

4 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

How do practice balls compare to used?

The same as new except with the word PRACTICE stamped on them. They are stamped PRACTICE on them due to some minor cosmetic flaw that you can't really see. They are legal for tournaments as the USGA conforming ball treats them the same as a logo ball. At times when you buy the new PRACTICE balls (not just from Titleist) they may not be the current retail version being sold.

• Like 1

That's a very good deal.  Care to share where you're purchasing from? 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

One thing to consider when buying used ProV's is they have been around over 20 years now so you might get some real old balls mixed in. Plus if these are water balls (most used sellers deal in water balls) the performance can fall way off. Safest thing (and generally a good deal) is to buy the Kirkland urethane balls.  Hard to go wrong there.  

12 hours ago, cristphoto said:

One thing to consider when buying used ProV's is they have been around over 20 years now so you might get some real old balls mixed in. Plus if these are water balls (most used sellers deal in water balls) the performance can fall way off. Safest thing (and generally a good deal) is to buy the Kirkland urethane balls.  Hard to go wrong there.  

I've had the same results as this video.  Not much difference in any of them imho.  They're all good, "water balls" or not.  Seems like a bunch of marketing hype to me.  Cover damage or discoloration is the only thing that will make me stop using one.  

Has anybody done a video with trackman data on Pro V1 water balls?

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

20 hours ago, MattC555 said:

That's a very good deal.  Care to share where you're purchasing from? 

Where are you located?  Please send me a private message and I will respond there.

1 hour ago, MattC555 said:

I've had the same results as this video.  Not much difference in any of them imho.  They're all good, "water balls" or not.  Seems like a bunch of marketing hype to me.  Cover damage or discoloration is the only thing that will make me stop using one.  

I gave my golf instructor those golf balls that I purchased and he used them in actual tournaments.  He told me that these balls are legit Pro-v1 and Pro-v1x

1 hour ago, MattC555 said:

I saw that video a while back which was interesting.  Main issue is he was testing "brand new" 20 year old golf balls, whereas a 20 year old ball you buy from a reseller would most likely have lots of use (or water time).  

The reality, for me, is that it really doesn't seem to matter.  I've found them, bought tons used, and been given used Pro V's.  They seem to go just fine, feel great, and spin well.  I'm just questioning the whole water logged thing that gets readily thrown around.  I'm unaware of any independent person whose done scientific-ish testing.  I'm genuinely curious as to what you give up by playing a ball that has spent some time in the lake. 

Even as a 6 handicap, I really hate losing a $4 ball whenever I hit a bad shot.   It's insult to injury.   I typically pay $1.50 for the used ones, which is a much easier pill to swallow.

Recycled golf balls are just fine, this is my advice:

Stay away from REFURBISHED or REFINISHED golf balls!! Stay away!

No water balls

Pay attention to what years the seller has. 2017 and newer? Good to go, anything older might not be worth it.

I only buy recycled golf balls now. I know a guy in my area that walks all the courses and searches the trees, he recently gave me 130 Titleist balls, all Pro V1 and Pro V1x, around $7 a dozen. Only one dozen was unplayable, the rest were all fine. Majority were 2019 and 2021 balls too.

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

Here are some of the balls that I purchased recently for $0.67 per ball.  The balls are in excellent shape, AAAA in quality.  He told me that he collects these balls on the golf course, right after there is a corporate sponsor events where the sponsor handed out titleist pro-v1 with corporate logos like candies.  He does not collect water balls.

As I've said before, I gave them to my golf instructor and he plays these balls in actual tournaments.  He said that he can't tell the difference between these balls and brand new Pro-V1.   One other things, I can hit these balls 50 times with the SW and I am not seeing any marks on them.

See pictures below.

IMG_2042-golf-balls.jpg.169f1ef0caba92818e885a4910ef8b4b.jpg

Edited by adamscottmaster2013

Just now, adamscottmaster2013 said:

Here are some of the balls that I purchased recently for $0.67 per ball.  The balls are in excellent shape, AAAA quality.  He told me that he collects these balls on the golf course, right after there is a corporate sponsor events where the sponsor handed out titleist pro-v1 with corporate logos like candies.  He does not collect water balls.

As I've said before, I gave them to my golf instructor and he plays these balls in actual tournaments.  He said that he can't tell the difference between these balls and brand new Pro-V1.   One other things, I can hit these balls 50 times with the SW and I am not seeing any marks on them.

Sounds like you found a jackpot. If that is as used as they get from that guy I would buy him out.

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego