2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

2 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Was assisting at a demo day today and put my R10 next to a Trackman, GC Quad and MEVO+ at different OEMs 

The ball speeds matched 100% every shot to all 3.  That is pretty impressive.  

The launch was spot on as well.  Spin was a mixed bag. At times it was within 50 RPM of Trackman.   On a few it was a widely different reading maybe 1000 or so different.   

Carry was pretty close. Maybe 4-5 yards on most.   Where it seemed to differ mostly was the very high speed players where ball speeds would be the same way 168 to 170.  But carry would be shorter by 15 to 20 yards compared to Trackman.  This tracks from otjet feedback I’ve heard. 

Good thing for my personal use my ball speeds are lucky to get to 130 😬

But overall it did really well compared to the big boys for whst we asked of it 

How was swing speed?

23 minutes ago, golfun said:

How was swing speed?

It was within 2 mph on Trackman dual on MEVO+ on most shots.  Didn’t get too many comparisons of SS against Q4 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 3 weeks later...

With warmer weather rapidly approaching, has anyone figured out a sunshade solution for the R10 yet? I am thinking about whipping up something simple from 1/8 steel rod and some fabric, but wondering if the metal may interfere with the radar. Maybe I'll try acrylic dowels instead.

-- Lefty --

Paradym: 10.5°

G425 Max 5W: 16.5°

Srixon ZX Util: 20°

Mizuno MP223: 4-P  

Mizuno T2X: 51°, 55°, 58°

Ping Redwood Anser Black Satin

--

Is there a way to export videos from the Garmin app? I’d like to be able to use them. Thanks. (I only back read a few pages)

image.png.702001ca19ba55f2a1ca32610c99752e.pngUSMC Veteran and Weekend Golfer

Callaway Rogue ST Max 9 degree Driver; Baddazz 60g S

Callaway Epic Max 3 and 5 woods

Titleist T300; C Taper Lite 105R

Cleveland Zipcore 54 and 58

Scotty Newport Special Select 2 33 inch

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked one of these up. I originally grabbed the Rasodo MLM but wasn't completely thrilled with it and I really wanted something with spin rate.

I haven't tried it yet but the one thing that was a "seriously" moment was the lack of a native iPad app, especially with the sim abilities of this. I do see that people are using Awesome Golf with this but I would have thought an iPad app would have been a given with a device like this.

I'll be hitting the range probably Tuesday, so we will see how it compares to the Rapsodo and between the Garmin app and Awesome Golf.

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, 3W, 5W - Aldila Rogue White 130 shafts

Ping G425 3 Crossover Iron - Aldila Rogue Black 95TS shaft

Ping G425 4-PW, UW Green Dot, Power Spec, AWT 2.0 S shafts

Vokey 56 degree 14F Sand Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Labs Tuttle Mallet putter

I am going to be starting some shaft testing this weekend.  Would the r10, used at the range, give me enough good data to compare a few different shafts?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

20 hours ago, getair23 said:

I am going to be starting some shaft testing this weekend.  Would the r10, used at the range, give me enough good data to compare a few different shafts?

I don't see why not? R10 seems to be provide some nice data points, just make sure you line it up right

Man, if you were in SoCal, we could do this on the FSK & I'd like to try your Vanquish...but, alas.

Look forward to your review nonetheless 👍

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 6/8/2023 at 2:29 PM, SwingBlues said:

I don't see why not? R10 seems to be provide some nice data points, just make sure you line it up right

Man, if you were in SoCal, we could do this on the FSK & I'd like to try your Vanquish...but, alas.

Look forward to your review nonetheless 👍

The lining it up AND leveling cannot be understated. I just took the R10 to the range today, for the first time, an to be honest, am not a fan of how precise this needs to be set up. I have a on of those leveling stands(but without an attached alignment stick), did the calibration and thought I had it lined up right but my shots weren't showing the way I could visually see. I slightly moved it for direction and found it made a big difference. It was much more accurate, which is great, but knowing, if you are the slightest bit off, it won't be right, kinda scares me.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, 3W, 5W - Aldila Rogue White 130 shafts

Ping G425 3 Crossover Iron - Aldila Rogue Black 95TS shaft

Ping G425 4-PW, UW Green Dot, Power Spec, AWT 2.0 S shafts

Vokey 56 degree 14F Sand Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Labs Tuttle Mallet putter

On 6/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, Chuck_IV said:

The lining it up AND leveling cannot be understated. I just took the R10 to the range today, for the first time, an to be honest, am not a fan of how precise this needs to be set up.

This is what concerns me most.  Needing to be lined-up directly behind the ball and square to the path straight ahead I can see.  In fact I can see no way around that.  (Well, I can, but, the solution would raise the cost significantly.)  But, IMO it shouldn't be quite so picky about being exactly level on both axes.  From what I've read it seems it does have the ability to warn you if it's tilted too much?  That would suggest it has digital levels?  If so: The firmware should be able to automatically compensate for minor tilt on either or both axes.

Have had mine now for a few weeks. For the money, I'm satisfied. I liked that I can play a few E6 courses and that it seems to get ball speed pretty accurate. For $500 I don't expect much, & that's pretty much in line with reality. 

I'll still be saving up for a BLP but in the meantime this will still help my golf itch in the winter. Hopefully they come out with better and better software/firmware updates to make this as competitive as possible. 

• Like 2

Hello I have a Garmin R10 on the way and I am going to get E6 or GSPRO but I don't have a Ipad only Android so I see E6 and GSPRO don't work for android and GSPRO requires Gaming computer.

What I want to know is I'm not using a projector I'm going to cast info onto my 65" TV set to the side so any plus or minuses to getting an IPAD, Laptop or desktop running E6 so I go the right route. Also since not using huge projector and just image on TV could you get away without high specs for Laptop of desktop to show image on TV? Mostly just driving range to work on my game but that could get boring fast that's why want just a few courses on E6 or GSpro.

I think Awsome golf driving range will work on a standard Android though correct its just E6 and GSpro that require IOS or Windows?

6 hours ago, N.Lesyshen said:

Hello I have a Garmin R10 on the way and I am going to get E6 or GSPRO but I don't have a Ipad only Android so I see E6 and GSPRO don't work for android and GSPRO requires Gaming computer.

What I want to know is I'm not using a projector I'm going to cast info onto my 65" TV set to the side so any plus or minuses to getting an IPAD, Laptop or desktop running E6 so I go the right route. Also since not using huge projector and just image on TV could you get away without high specs for Laptop of desktop to show image on TV? Mostly just driving range to work on my game but that could get boring fast that's why want just a few courses on E6 or GSpro.

I think Awsome golf driving range will work on a standard Android though correct its just E6 and GSpro that require IOS or Windows?

The listed computer specs for GSPRO are just for running the software, it will have no say on whether you are using a projector or not. I would say that the majority of users agree that GSPRO is the most advanced sim software available. If it is in your budget, you could find a used laptop for probably $300-500 USD that would be enough to at least get good 1080p (HD) graphics. And from what I have seen here, most would recommend Awesome Golf over E6.

I took my r10 to the course today and got to use it quite a bit as it was dead out there today. I see that the alignment can be a bit finicky, but the #s I am interested in, distance/ball speed/swing speed/launch/height all seemed darn close (shooting back to tee marker or knowing pin distance on par 3) I am happy with my trade. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hey y'all

I just picked up the R10 and so far am very happy. 

I'm trying to decide how I want to "view" the data. Right now it's just on my Samsung/Android phone but I want to get something to have a larger view. 

I'm considering maybe a mini projector that can hook up to my phone and just run the projection on the wall I my garage. Has anybody tried something like this? 

My other option is a smart TV that I can cast the video to. 

Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thx! 

33 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

why not a mobile tv stand?

Space is very limited as it is. The half of the garage that you see is mine. The half you don't see is for the wife's Tahoe. Plus I use that work bench/tool cabinet pretty regularly for club work so occupying that space would make things a bit too crowded. A wall mount would work perfectly and costs about $14. 

@jimecherry any relationship to the late punk musician Jim Cherry? (Gotta ask 😜)

1 hour ago, AZstu324 said:

Ha I was just about to post my new setup. In boasting about my new purchase to my dad he says "I've got an extra TV you can have".. so there you have it.. 

I think I'll put it on a wall mount though. 

23800.jpeg.c391251edcf56cc2943d63d5996b8b03.jpeg

23797.jpeg.6835578294c045ee5ef667c7130e803d.jpeg

How do you like that net? I've got a boat/raft on one side of the garage and will have to hit towards the garage door - trying to figure out the best/safest option to hit some balls over the winter and not have to go to the simulator. 

8 hours ago, rustyneversleeps said:

How do you like that net? I've got a boat/raft on one side of the garage and will have to hit towards the garage door - trying to figure out the best/safest option to hit some balls over the winter and not have to go to the simulator. 

I really like the net. It was an Amazon brand called GaGalileo. Think I paid $150 for it. Worth every penny so far. 

The one thing to be careful about if it's right up against the garage door is that if you happen to top one, the bottom portion is somewhat loose. The ball doesn't come out or anything but I've had a few hit the garage with the extra slack at the bottom. I'm considering putting a fitted sheet around the back just for a little extra support. That said, if you bring the base of the net in 1-2 feet from the door you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love my r10 just wish you were able to export data from the coaching tab.

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / Miura TC-201 6-PW + PX 6.0  / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

• 2 months later...

Are there any resources or videos available comparing the accuracy of the R10's angle of attack, club path, and face angle data?

The tolerances for these measurements are fairly wide per the Garmin website, but I would love to see what an actual comparison to something like Trackman would show.

I've found lots of resources demonstrating swing speed data is very accurate, but nothing comparing other club data measurements. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 1:33 PM, r.yan163 said:

It's at gpscity and gpscentral, but only paid shipping options 🤢 (unless you are in Calgary). It's showing July 21 availability, but maybe that's just a guess on their part? with Garmin showing 5-8 weeks...

https://golfcartcruisers.com/garmin-r10-launch-monitor-review/

I just got mine and I'm very happy with the upgrade over my old Swing Caddie SC200

On 12/15/2023 at 1:37 PM, GAGolfer16 said:

Are there any resources or videos available comparing the accuracy of the R10's angle of attack, club path, and face angle data?

The tolerances for these measurements are fairly wide per the Garmin website, but I would love to see what an actual comparison to something like Trackman would show.

I've found lots of resources demonstrating swing speed data is very accurate, but nothing comparing other club data measurements. 

Thinking back ~2 years ago when it was first released, I think many of the early review/comparison videos would mention the club data.  I don't remember seeing really solid data driven comparison, though.  My experience is that it is probably broadly correct but with a large tolerance.  I can swing in-out, out-in, hit up, hit down, etc and pretty consistently see the correct range of reading.  If you're looking for a trend over many shots, it is probably worthwhile.  If you're looking for a tenth of a degree difference swing to swing, I don't think I'd trust it.

With that said, I've wondered about these numbers for a while.  They aren't listed as directly measured, but certainly the radar has to be using some kind of directly captured club data, otherwise how in the world would it come up with something like angle of attack? I'm not a radar expert, but it seems like tracking the club path and AoA would be pretty simple.  Maybe it captures some data directly, but applies some calculation to report the final data, therefore it is not listed as directly measured... 

• 2 months later...

Just bought one of these waiting for it to arrive. I’ll be using a 24”x 24” hitting mat into a net. I’ll also be standing on some type of door mat as well I’m guessing. I’m wondering if i should get one of those adjustable 3d printed leveling stands on ebay that you can adjust the height on as well? The mat isn’t that thick maybe a 1/2” above the ground level I’m thinking. Will that be enough to throw the r10 off? 

On 3/3/2024 at 11:16 AM, Frankensteins Monster said:

How many E6 courses come with the r10?

5 free courses. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 3/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, T626G said:

Just bought one of these waiting for it to arrive. I’ll be using a 24”x 24” hitting mat into a net. I’ll also be standing on some type of door mat as well I’m guessing. I’m wondering if i should get one of those adjustable 3d printed leveling stands on ebay that you can adjust the height on as well? The mat isn’t that thick maybe a 1/2” above the ground level I’m thinking. Will that be enough to throw the r10 off? 

I think the stand is good for ensuring the R10 is level but in terms of height if I'm hitting off an elevated mat I just sit the R10 on an empty box of a dozen golf balls. Seems to do the trick. Another time when I didn't have a box I just sat it on the Garmin protective holder that comes with it. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter