2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nick Bradley's "hidden power joint"

Nickc

Nick Bradley's "hidden power joint" Anyone any idea what or even where it is?

I'd start your research with "The Secret Life of Cart Girls" (Golf Digest, March 1, 2015)

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

If it is Nick Bradley, deep down, even he won’t know what it means but he will use a ridiculous amount of jargon with a heavy dollop of vocabulary that even Brandel Chambkee would baulk at to the point that whatever the message is is lost as you need to lie down and he will then move on to telling you that he is the world’s number one Golf consultant.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

i think it might relate to this image that is commonly online  from his 7 Laws book where he is holding a circular blade saw and throwing it with his right hand which would place the left wrist into flexion leading into impact.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

See this page "Palmar flexion"

http://www.golfloopy.com/wrist-articulations/

and this

https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-grip/top-2-tips-on-a-strong-grip/

and when he talks about unlocking this bone,   I dont think he means its a golf move but rather a physiological move to free up movement of that joint.

https://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/wrist-pain-and-the-role-of-capitate/

whilst this article is about a gymnast,  flexion and extenstion of the wrists are an important factor in the golf swing and there really might be something in this.

this exercise seems fairly simple (too simple?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_MH0TacfU

Edited by marktheblake
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If nothing else give the guy A for effort on the sales side.  Had a long ride home yesterday, listened to FIFTY FOUR minutes of his touting this miracle new distance gain.

Almost embarrassed to admit came home and found out I have had his 7 Law of the Golf Swing in my library.  The idea here is the grip in the fingers loosens the tension in the wrists.

I just saved you FIFTY FOUR minutes of my life I'm never getting back!  Had to laugh at the sales technique, how he kept promising how this works, but first...

• Like 2

I was curious to see what he charged so I made the mistake of clicking on link during one of his YouTube ads.

My god it was painful. Just kept going on and on about how great his method is, and how many pros he's worked for. Never found out btw, I had finally had enough and had to close the ad. The course may only cost $20 but I'd pay $50 to not have to listen to him babble on.....

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, Tpfol said:

I was curious to see what he charged so I made the mistake of clicking on link during one of his YouTube ads.

My god it was painful. Just kept going on and on about how great his method is, and how many pros he's worked for. Never found out btw, I had finally had enough and had to close the ad. The course may only cost $20 but I'd pay $50 to not have to listen to him babble on.....

I was so far into it I couldn't stop listening. Being in sales myself I kept laughing at the approach, promising to let you in on the secret, but first let's go to these satisified customers. 

The regular price is $97, but for this one time offer it's $47.  And they include FREE 14 days for the Secret Vault, and then after that you pay something for that.

And with the $47 offer there's a chance to upgrade for another program for another $50 or so.  But I've never seen anyone go on and on and on, makes  you wonder if you have to sell it that hard, something's goofy.

That being said, I am going to agree with @baudihere, the book is indeed pretty darn good. I"m still going thru it and used a few nuggets on the course today that I found useful. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything about this guy or his methods but have found out the more you can hold the clubs in your fingers the more clubhead speed you can generate w/o turning the shoulders, and it can help hit the ball straighter as well as it's easier to keep the hands in front of the body. It is something I have been working on trying to imitate Rocco Mediate. Ironically, he says he never does anything consciously w/his hands.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 6:51 PM, parmark said:

Interestingly enough, and not being argumentative here, but in his book the 7 Laws.... he advocates just the opposite!

I have gravitated to a short left thumb and an extreme finger grip and my release has become much more consistent with less effort.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

4 hours ago, Taylor-Made said:

Mike Malaska and many others have for a long time stressed the importance of 'strong' left hand position with a finger grip, etc in order to allow looser wrists. So what's new? 

As an engineer I've always judged golf teachers by their understanding of physics and inevitably I lose confidence in their understanding of the golf swing.

For example Mike Malaska has some videos about where he emphasizes the importance of the hands and minimizes the feet and leg action as if they were almost inconsequential.

Nonetheless, I have come to realize that no one understands the golf swing completely, it's quite complicated. This doesn't mean that golf teachers can't help people.

And as far as teachers go I think Mike Malaska has a better understanding of the hand action than most. I have seen myself that a strong(not too strong) finger grip with loose wrists allows me to get the club in a good position at the top to release the club like Malaska recommends. I also have to give credit to Manuel de la Torres for his insight. He's a great teacher too but nonetheless he also minimized the importance of the legs.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

On 9/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, parmark said:

If nothing else give the guy A for effort on the sales side.  Had a long ride home yesterday, listened to FIFTY FOUR minutes of his touting this miracle new distance gain.

Almost embarrassed to admit came home and found out I have had his 7 Law of the Golf Swing in my library.  The idea here is the grip in the fingers loosens the tension in the wrists.

I just saved you FIFTY FOUR minutes of my life I'm never getting back!  Had to laugh at the sales technique, how he kept promising how this works, but first...

I haven't read his book but got what to what he recommended by trial and error starting with Manny de la Torres videos of his takeaway sequence.

At first I couldn't get it after months of trying. However, after trying what Rocco Mediate recommends being on the balls of my feet through impact this changed my stance just enough so that when I tried Manny's takeaway again I was able to get it off an on. However, after months of practicing I have gravitated to an "extreme" left hand finger grip which in turn will allows the wrists to move freely, almost like a hinge.

The release feels great and I'm on my toes through impact and I have good clubhead speed with less shoulder turn. In fact I set my record w/my 47" driver since I returned to golf 2 years ago - 119 mph. 

Notes:

On 9/17/2021 at 7:57 PM, Tpfol said:

I'd pay $50 to not have to listen to him babble on.....

Unfortunately, Sky Sports sometimes have him in the studio! To think that I actually pay for that 😢

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• 2 weeks later...

Advertising at all levels is art, science, psychology and who knows whatever else.  Undoubtedly we've all clicked on a mildly interesting online ad, now to be confronted with an endless, rambling, promise-filled guarantee of greatness (regardless of the product) that provides more curiosity than information.  Bold type, quotes from "users", relentless hype... it's all been carefully crafted to tease, persuade and convince you to buy.  Whether print-only or combined with video, these ads aren't simply thrown together; they are designed to captivate with promises of near-miracles ("add 30 yards in three seconds!")  And who knows...in many cases -- enough to justify their production costs -- a number of folks, perhaps 54 minutes later, are going to buy. Might you learn something?  Perhaps, but the idea that one man suddenly unlocked a previously unknown SECRET to golf is certainly nothing more than a fantasy, don't you think?

• 1 month later...

Got hooked by this ad and watched right to the end and then debated with myself whether or not to part with $47. Surely he is "merely" advocating a body swing with a free wrist release rather than an arm swing with locked wrists? The golf swing is quite complicated dynamically and the way to get most club head speed for a given muscular effort is to drive the body and let the club go along for the ride so to speak. This has been known at least since Hogan and has been confirmed by computer modelling of the body, arm and club system. I reckon what he is advocating is somewhat similar but it is so clouded with ad speak that you cannot be sure. So in the end I decided not to pay good money because I couldn't face the idea of being talked to again by him like this.