Lost their PGA Tour cards today.

TiScape

I suppose it's a brutal business; every time a Collin Morikawa or a Jon Rahm emerges and shoots to the top of the rankings, someone else has to fall-off the other end.

There's maybe fewer than 50 players who have long term security on tour. The rest are on their way up, on their way down, or are clinging on to their tour status for as long as possible.

8 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

Jimmy Walker was to the 2010's what Kenny Perry was to the 2000s...some guys just find it at points. 

I followed Matt Every from his big break days...guy played in 22 tournaments this year, missed 20 cuts and W/D from the other two. Had a 74.35 scoring average, 5 rounds in the 60s the whole year. Golf is hard I guess. 

Kenny Perry (14 wins) has won on the PGA Tour a lot more than Jimmy Walker (6) ever has or will. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mat562 said:

Fleetwood, Molinari and Willett will endure. All not having great seasons, certainly, but past results and exemptions will keep them in the mix until their fortunes turn around and normal service resumes. Fleetwood and Willett will no doubt regain form in time, prosper on the European Tour, and then get back into the PGA Tour mix via WGC, Majors money and world ranking points. Molinari's an odd one, though; and having moved relatively recently to LA the situation must be a bit of a head-scratcher for him. 

It's amazing to me that Jimmy Walker has struggled for so long though, and that he too now finds himself in a bit of a quandary. Up close he looks a fantastic player. Very much in the Ryo Ishikawa mould, in that he looks premier league out on the range, and his game appears solid in every department, but all too often he's mediocre on the both the scorecard and leaderboard.

Willett is still fully exempt on the PGA Tour through 2021-2022. Molinari is fully exempt through 2024-2025. At this time they don't have to do anything to get back to the PGA Tour. Interesting comparing Walker to Ryo. Walker has won 6 times on the PGA Tour including a major. Ryo has no wins on the PGA Tour. Dubious comparison. Walker has also had to deal with having Lyme disease and the after affects of that as well.

6 hours ago, PZero said:

Several favorites of mine on that list. Haas hasn't been the same since the car crash, Watney hasn't been himself in almost 10 years, Walker's health might be hurting him, and Fowler has been trying to light the fire.

Nick Watney is such a curious case of what happened there? Seemed like as soon as he went to Nike, his game just disappeared. I guess the equipment change is the easy thing to blame, it’s probably the only thing that the public is generally aware of but for a period there, he was very solid. Sort of guy that if he picked up a PGA Championship at some point you would have thought, yeah that sounds about right.

Now the only thing I can recall hearing about him in the past few years was that he was one of, if not the first PGA Tour player to have to WD from an event having tested positive for Covid.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

14 hours ago, mat562 said:

Aaron Baddeley, another on the list, is a case in point. A few flashes of decent golf over the last 15 years, but he looked a shoe-in to be a world class talent back when he joined the pro ranks and has never been anything close to one since he decided to change one of the most pleasing swings out there after being seduced by... well, nerdy golf instructors.

Crazy to think that he and Adam Scott came out of Australia at around the same time no it seemed that Badds was the more heralded of the two - largely due to winning the Aussie Open as an Amatuer but essentially, he has become a cautionary tale of what could have been.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

Crazy to think that he and Adam Scott came out of Australia at around the same time no it seemed that Badds was the more heralded of the two - largely due to winning the Aussie Open as an Amatuer but essentially, he has become a cautionary tale of what could have been.

4 PGA Tour wins, $22m in prizemoney, 2011 Presidents Cup, Career high Fedex Cup rank of #6, OWGR high ranking of #16.

Relative failure to achieve his potential maybe but still doesn't look too shabby.

Monkeyed around with stack n tilt. Sublime putter.

Was the touring pro out of one of my clubs in Melbourne in the 2000's.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

9 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

4 PGA Tour wins, $22m in prizemoney, 2011 Presidents Cup, Career high Fedex Cup rank of #6, OWGR high ranking of #16.

Relative failure to achieve his potential maybe but still doesn't look too shabby.

Monkeyed around with stack n tilt. Sublime putter.

Was the touring pro out of one of my clubs in Melbourne in the 2000's.

Totally accept that but when you consider that he was the can’t miss kid, arguably with more potential that Scott, Badds numbers barely scratch the surface of Scotty’s.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 minute ago, MattyO1984 said:

Totally accept that but when you consider that he was the can’t miss kid, arguably with more potential that Scott, Badds numbers barely scratch the surface of Scotty’s.

Yes, have to agree.

Adam Scott bothers me more - just learn to putt, fella, go ask Badds for advice.

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

Nick Watney is such a curious case of what happened there? Seemed like as soon as he went to Nike, his game just disappeared. I guess the equipment change is the easy thing to blame, it’s probably the only thing that the public is generally aware of but for a period there, he was very solid. Sort of guy that if he picked up a PGA Championship at some point you would have thought, yeah that sounds about right.

Now the only thing I can recall hearing about him in the past few years was that he was one of, if not the first PGA Tour player to have to WD from an event having tested positive for Covid.

watney had back surgery in the midst of his early struggles. 

2 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

watney had back surgery in the midst of his early struggles. 

Hadn’t realised that he has surgery. Makes more sense now. When you look at the likes of Graham De Laet, Steven Bowditch, Nick Watney and others who have had back surgery, it makes it all the more incredible that Tiger was able to come back and do what he did.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 8/16/2021 at 4:31 AM, KennyP said:

Didn't he receive an invite to the Open, because of his finish in the John Deere, and then decline it? 

Yes - if I remember right his back was all messed up or something.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I started watching PGA Tour in late 2000s. These names always appear high and were contending week in & week out. And all of them pretty much disappeared now. 

• Hunter Mahan
  • Nick Watney
  • Bill Haas
  • Sean O’Hare
  • Jason Dufner

Dustin Johnson was slightly younger than them, but is in the same "age bracket". I honestly thought DJ would be the first one who would fade away. Raw power, very unrefined short game and putting. That can't be the formula for long-term success, right? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Medson said:

I started watching PGA Tour in late 2000s. These names always appear high and were contending week in & week out. And all of them pretty much disappeared now. 

• Hunter Mahan
  • Nick Watney
  • Bill Haas
  • Sean O’Hare
  • Jason Dufner

Dustin Johnson was slightly younger than them, but is in the same "age bracket". I honestly thought DJ would be the first one who would fade away. Raw power, very unrefined short game and putting. That can't be the formula for long-term success, right? 

I'm surprised on hunter mahan, he did have right miss occasionally like a wipe because his right arm staying so bent into impact and face wouldn't close. 

On 8/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, Krt22 said:

He is still exempt through the 22-23 due to his Player's win. I think he'll be closer to his old self next season

I'm trying to figure out how it is 22-23. He won the Players in 2015, so five years would be 2020, Then an additional year for covid, so 2021. He won three times after the Players, so does he not get an extra year for each win, making him exempt through 2024? Or does he not get a year for his additional win in 2015?

On 8/19/2021 at 6:00 AM, JK Ward said:

I'm trying to figure out how it is 22-23. He won the Players in 2015, so five years would be 2020, Then an additional year for covid, so 2021. He won three times after the Players, so does he not get an extra year for each win, making him exempt through 2024? Or does he not get a year for his additional win in 2015?

Per Golf Magazine: 

The good news for Fowler is that he’s exempt through the 2022-23 season thanks to his 2015 Players Championship win (which carried a five-year exemption) and subsequent victories in 2017 and 2019, which added a year each to his status. 

• Driver - Titleist TSr1 MCA Speedwrap R 
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Titliest 818 23* Tensi Red R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* AWT
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour