2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP25

mvhoffman

Just looking for some first hands reviews from users.  I'm very content with my irons now, but can't get these out of my head after losing an eBay auction to a "bot bid" last seconds a few weeks ago.  I'm loving my old school blades, but just can't get the look of these out of my head and would love to find a reasonably priced set (which in today's market is a shot in the dark).  I will be waiting for the off season and hopefully prices go down on the older stuff.  These to me are such a beautiful looking iron.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

What makes you think it was a bot?  I've bid last second on things many times, more so when I don't really care if I win or not because someone has put in a high max bid.

I would think that waiting for the off season would be better financially.  New stuff comes out, people replace.  World goes slightly back to normal, those who picked up the game will find other interests and off load gear.

A Revolving Door

I briefly owned a set back in the day.  Quickly got rid of them.  The general consensus is these were one of Mizzy's worst offerings and I tend to agree.  Probably no more forgiving than your blades and don't feel like a Mizuno.  I'd recommend MP15, MP18 MMC or MP20 MMC over these depending on your budget.  The 20 MMCs are REALLY good.

6 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

I briefly owned a set back in the day.  Quickly got rid of them.  The general consensus is these were one of Mizzy's worst offerings and I tend to agree.  Probably no more forgiving than your blades and don't feel like a Mizuno.  I'd recommend MP15, MP18 MMC or MP20 MMC over these depending on your budget.  The 20 MMCs are REALLY good.

I was researching these a while back and it seems the addition of boron during the forging process killed the Mizuno feel. 

• Thanks 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

1 hour ago, PEI_Golfer said:

What makes you think it was a bot?  I've bid last second on things many times, more so when I don't really care if I win or not because someone has put in a high max bid.

I would think that waiting for the off season would be better financially.  New stuff comes out, people replace.  World goes slightly back to normal, those who picked up the game will find other interests and off load gear.

I said bot bid because about a week later, the same seller relisted them starting about $75 dollars more than the "winning" bid from the week before.  Same markings on the club.  When I sent message and asked I was blocked quickly

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

2 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

I said bot bid because about a week later, the same seller relisted them starting about $75 dollars more than the "winning" bid from the week before.  Same markings on the club.  When I sent message and asked I was blocked quickly

Interesting.  Haven't had that happen to me, but I also haven't bid in quite some time as PB screws us up here hard with added shipping costs if item is from the US.  Now sadly just resort to things up here for less shipping hassle.

A Revolving Door

1 minute ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Interesting.  Haven't had that happen to me, but I also haven't bid in quite some time as PB screws us up here hard with added shipping costs if item is from the US.  Now sadly just resort to things up here for less shipping hassle.

Understandable. 

40 minutes ago, Jmccas said:

I was researching these a while back and it seems the addition of boron during the forging process killed the Mizuno feel. 

People are weird when it comes to Mizuno making a change with how they do something with their irons.  I remember way back in the day (late 90s maybe early 2000s) Mizuno started using the grain flow forging process (which they are still using) and a bunch of guys said they thought it made Mizunos the worst feeling irons ever and they'd never play them again.  Recently I've seen people complaining that the upcoming 22x lines have the old school "Mizuno Pro" script on the back of the irons... apparently it is so ugly that not only will people not even consider testing those irons, they feel the need to get rid of their current Mizunos because the whole brand has just been ruined.

Back to the MP 25s, the boron is a tiny fraction of the total metal in that iron... something like a few parts per million if I remember correctly.  My guess is that if Mizuno made an identical MP 25 head, but without the boron, people wouldn't be able to tell which one had the boron in it.  For what it is worth, I really liked the feel of the 25s when I tested them out, but I decided to go with a mixed set of irons since the 5s gave me better launch angles in the shorter irons.  I've been playing the 4- and 5-iron in the 25s for years and still like them.  I can work them left or right and flight them down when needed.  If you like the look of them I say ignore all of the people that jumped on the "boron ruined Mizuno" bandwagon and give them a try.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

17 minutes ago, grochol17 said:

People are weird when it comes to Mizuno making a change with how they do something with their irons.  I remember way back in the day (late 90s maybe early 2000s) Mizuno started using the grain flow forging process (which they are still using) and a bunch of guys said they thought it made Mizunos the worst feeling irons ever and they'd never play them again.  Recently I've seen people complaining that the upcoming 22x lines have the old school "Mizuno Pro" script on the back of the irons... apparently it is so ugly that not only will people not even consider testing those irons, they feel the need to get rid of their current Mizunos because the whole brand has just been ruined.

Back to the MP 25s, the boron is a tiny fraction of the total metal in that iron... something like a few parts per million if I remember correctly.  My guess is that if Mizuno made an identical MP 25 head, but without the boron, people wouldn't be able to tell which one had the boron in it.  For what it is worth, I really liked the feel of the 25s when I tested them out, but I decided to go with a mixed set of irons since the 5s gave me better launch angles in the shorter irons.  I've been playing the 4- and 5-iron in the 25s for years and still like them.  I can work them left or right and flight them down when needed.  If you like the look of them I say ignore all of the people that jumped on the "boron ruined Mizuno" bandwagon and give them a try.  

Thank you for the reply.  I have been on the fence honestly between these and the Ping S55.

I have a set of MP25s shafted with Recoil Proto 125 F4 shafts. To me, they feel SLIGHTLY crisper on impact than my MP5s. I haven't hit them in a while, but have been thinking about bringing them back out for play. 

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I have played some of my best rounds with the MP-25s; 7 iron hole in one, career low 67 and many hero shots way out of my league, haha.  

In my opinion, the MP-25s feel amazing, provide forgiveness (considering its a players iron), workable, durable and aesthetically pleasing.  Golf equipment becomes very objective based on feel and performance, but I would recommend trying them out.  At the end of the day, you cant go wrong with a Mizzy!  

- KC

Edited by KC13
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 (8°)

Mizuno ST-Z 230 (16.8°)

Ping iBlade (3i/19°)

Ping i59 (4i-Pw)

Ping Glide 4.0 Raw (52S/56S/58T)

Odyssey Marxman XG (44")

Mizuno RB Max (Yellow)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I brought the MP25s back out and have had a few range sessions with them. I don't even remember when I built them or what clubs I was using at the time (maybe the MP15s?). Regardless, I compared them heads up with my MP5s and I think I'm gonna start gaming these again. I MOI balanced them to match my MP5s and they feel pretty dang good. I don't notice any difference in the feel to be honest and I really like the shafts (Recoil Proto 125 M4). Couple more range sessions should tell me for sure.

Sorry Hoff, but I don't think I'm gonna part with these any time soon.

BT

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Well, I brought the MP25s back out and have had a few range sessions with them. I don't even remember when I built them or what clubs I was using at the time (maybe the MP15s?). Regardless, I compared them heads up with my MP5s and I think I'm gonna start gaming these again. I MOI balanced them to match my MP5s and they feel pretty dang good. I don't notice any difference in the feel to be honest and I really like the shafts (Recoil Proto 125 M4). Couple more range sessions should tell me for sure.

Sorry Hoff, but I don't think I'm gonna part with these any time soon.

BT

No worries brother… I made a purchase8EC01C1A-A6A6-4E04-AEE8-2AEB39D7BBD5.png.bae58b5ab28990b974ee9fd12ec86aab.png5B6B1D22-F517-4578-96DE-C252D9F38CC7.png.45e5109c2a262201d89489869f122892.png33788767-1416-4717-B908-EED66ADC5364.png.111060df8ecd1e11e1738e933e890bbf.png

Nice! Enjoy. 😎

BT

On 9/8/2021 at 12:54 PM, grochol17 said:

Well, not sure about the script thing. Personally, I really dislike it, but it wouldn't even occur to me to not try a club based on cosmetics. In fact, I'm kind of eager to hit the 223s. 

I've played Mizzy irons for years (was never a fan of their drivers or putters). Don't mind them fiddling with and changing things up - there is this standard of both playability and feel that they always seem to hit, even if it is in a slightly different way. And now and then they produce a jewel. I still have a set of MP-32s that I'll play a couple times a year (released in 2004). In fact it occurred to me recently that as of 2024, they may not even be conforming anyone. But they are simply a joy to play with.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag