2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golfers show inevitability of a paunch at middle age

playit

17 hours ago, Zitlow said:

intermittent fasting is a fairly easy way to lose weight. Fast for 16 hours and eat 2 or 3 meals, no snacks in the 8 hour window. 

It is and it's great for controlling blood glucose levels.  However, like all diets, your body gets used to it and weight loss stalls eventually, usually after 4-6 weeks.  The key is to change up diet every now and then. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

43 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

It is and it's great for controlling blood glucose levels.  However, like all diets, your body gets used to it and weight loss stalls eventually, usually after 4-6 weeks.  The key is to change up diet every now and then. 

When you say change up diet every now & then, do you mean change up what you are eating while continuing to intermittent fast or change to another plan altogether?

On 9/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, playit said:

I don't know if it is inevitable, I am hoping for discussion! Not until the covid era did I add on enough belly weight that I sport the proverbial paunch. It also coincided with age 66 and 67, so, who knows what caused it. And, yes, I have gained weight continuously since high school. Perhaps it's simply more of the same progression! But I watched some of a senior tour event and thought, "My gosh, they're all fat!" Not all, but most. Of course, this is also what has happened to the USA as a whole, overweight has skyrocketed over the past 30-40 years. (I think it's crappy diet related... cheap carbs is my guess.)

But these tour players are not your average American, they're still athletes and more active than most. So, the question is, do you think that for men, sporting such a paunch is inevitable with age? Must it be so? Do you think it is simply due to the sagging of skin and muscles and plain old gravity doing its thing?

Also, can it be cured? I would like to lose this extra weight and wonder how reasonable it it to think that a 67, almost 68 year old man could become trim again. Methinks it would require an intense training program to do so. Which I am willing to do.

As for that broadcast, I saw John Cook and thought, "Hmmm... his paunch looks kinda like mine."

Hope you will chime in!

sorry if discussed but what is your pop/soda intake like?  (diet soda as well, in fact especially diet, as that may be even more insidious than non-diet given it confuses your system to eventually release less insulin because it thinks it's sugary and needs a bunch of insulin at first but then is like, wait a second, that's not what's happening. So, when you eat actual sugary foods it doesn't know what to do.  Or, at least that's one of the current theories)  And, in general what types of portions are you eating?  It's insane what the increase in average U.S. portion sizes have been in just 40 years when, obviously, humans have not evolved enough in that very short period of time to have anything to do with caloric needs.  And, of course, we have probably gotten more sedentary on average over those years, not less.

And, what kind of moderate excercise are you getting?  I don't mean like are you a cross fitter but are you walking two miles a day in general with the dog?

Edited by chigolfer1

10 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

When you say change up diet every now & then, do you mean change up what you are eating while continuing to intermittent fast or change to another plan altogether?

Change to another type of diet.  For example, when I have dieted for my body building shows back in the day, my diet would start with the usual moderate protein and fat diet but with high glycemic carbs.  I would then slowly drop them and then switch over to low glycemic carbs, then slowly drop those.  The last 4 weeks before the show I would go to intermittent fasting to lose those last few stubborn pounds. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

One thought that is consistent among many posters is that they gain weight and then they go on a diet to lose the weight that they have gained . Many dieters weight  yo-yos up and down  continuously . According to the US NEWS and WORLD REPORT, the five best diets are 

Mediterranean

Dash

Flexitarian

Weight watchers

Mayo Clinic

To be honest, I never heard of the Dash or Flexitarian diets before. 

The problem with any of these diets is they have bastardized the meaning of diet . In contemporary parlance diet is something you adopt to lose weight,while the basic definition of diet is what you eat. 

It might be useful for many to go back to this  basic definition and then design your own diet based upon some obvious healthy/ unhealthy inputs. Then follow this diet for the REST of your life.

For example no one thinks that sugary drinks are healthy , no one thinks that sugary deserts are healthy , no one thinks that consumption of large amounts of red meat is healthy , no one thinks that consumption of cured meats are healthy , no one thinks that consumption of junk snacks is healthy , few think that consumption of margarine is healthy 

while most think that consumption of vegetables is healthy , most think that moderate amounts of whole grains is healthy , consumption of most fruits are healthy as long as you do not consume them in juices, consumption of olive oil is healthy , ETC

My point is simple . Ditch  the idea of having to go on a diet to lose weight. Instead adopt a diet that you can stay on the rest of your life. Avoid fast food  and cut down the size of your portions . Eat a salad with a small of protein for your main dish 2 nights /week .

And occasionally allow yourself a  small treat so that you do not feel deprived 

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 1

I sort of agree - not entirely though. Yes, eat nutritious food and stop eating garbage instead of messing with "diets". But if you eat truly nutritious food, you really don't have to cut or think about your portion size because you'll be satiated. And "small amount of proteins a couple times a week isn't my version of nutritious. I think if more people ate more meat - replacing all the garbage and harmful calories with meat and veggies - weight wouldn't be an issue. I eat lots of fat and protein in the form of meat along with lots of greens and if I need a snack it's usually high-fat nuts. Doing so, I stay pretty lean without having to cut my portion size.

(Disclosure: I also don't eat after about 2 or 3, until morning, which I admit could be a factor, but I also think  I'm able to do that without feeling hungry because of the ridiculous amount of fat and protein that I ate up until then. I do that for no other reason than I simply don't enjoy food in my system late in the day or at night.)

Edited by johnrobison

8 hours ago, bortass said:

At the end of the day there are a bunch of different ways to do this. The goal is the same, take in less calories than you burn and you'll drop weight. The hardest part is finding a way that works and is easy for you.

Just in this thread we've seen a bunch of different ways people do it and they seem to have success. The easiest diet I ever did was South Beach. I dropped 60 lbs in about 3 months and I never really felt hungry. I was the only one in the house trying to do it though and it didn't stick. Right now I'm doing WW since work pays for it and I have had success with it a long time ago. I rarely feel hungry and I've cleaned up some of what I eat but in no way am I eating clean. There's still too many processed carbs in the mix but it's better than it was before I started and I'm dropping over 2 lbs a week with no change in my activity levels. It's great to put on clothes that I haven't fit in for a few years.

Some people like Paleo, Keto, Intermittent Fasting, If It Fits Your Macros, etc. etc. Find the process that fits you and your lifestyle the best and you'll see success. It's not a given that we are all doomed to having a paunch because I play with a couple guys in their 70s and early 80s that don't have one. 

bingo. 

/thread

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

1 hour ago, johnrobison said:

(Disclosure: I also don't eat after about 2 or 3, until morning, which I admit could be a factor, but I also think  I'm able to do that without feeling hungry because of the ridiculous amount of fat and protein that I ate up until then. I do that for no other reason than I simply don't enjoy food in my system late in the day or at night.)

That's the concept of the 16:8 "diet" aka a type of intermittent fasting, eating in a 8 hour window everyday and sleeping on an empty stomach.

It's not a diet as one doesn't have to lose weight but the benefits are high ketones which add additional energy, blood sugar regulation, and decreased inflammation. Also, the high energy level due to the ketones also stems hunger pains so it's easy to be in caloric deficit 200 calories daily w/o really noticing it. I've been doing it for 5 years straight now.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.