LPGA Purses and Endorsements

18majors

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

When Mike Whan took over as LPGA commissioner in January, 2020; he received little support from American Corporations.  He'd no choices but signed up mostly Korean and Japanese sponsors'; that has changed.

I believe we're heading towards a golden period of LPGA purses in the next ten years and I plan to document it in this thread.

Whan receives both too much and too little credit for his work.  On one hand, he acquired sponsors from around the world and rebuilt the schedule after the c2008 economic crash put a big crimp into US sponsorship budgets.  On the other, he benefited from a strong long-term economic rebound that lasted right through to the start of COVID.

Marcoux Samaan (I'll learn how to spell her name eventually) will probably be in the same spot -- she'll have some COVID-related consequences but will also benefit from societal trends such as the willingness of corporations to pony up more money for women's sports in the name of social justice or what have you.

Personally I'm a little skeptical of her ability to close deals as effectively as Whan, but if she has a strong team and the global economy is stable or better it may not matter.  The Chevron deal is certainly a solid start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

When Mike Whan took over as LPGA commissioner in January, 2020; he received little support from American Corporations.  He'd no choices but signed up mostly Korean and Japanese sponsors'; that has changed.

Number of
official tournaments
Countries hosting
tournaments
Tournaments in
United States
Tournaments in
other countries
Total prize
money ($)
2021 31 8 23 8 71,200,000
2020 18 3 14 4 41,300,000
2019 32 12 20 12 70,200,000
2018 33 13 19 14 66,950,000
2017 34 15 17 17 67,650,000
2016 33 14 18 15 63,000,000
2015 31 14 17 14 59,100,000
2014 32 14 17 15 57,550,000
2013 28 14 14 14 48,900,000
2012 27 12 15 12 47,000,000
2011 23 11 13 10 41,500,000
2010 24 10 14 10 41,400,000
2009 28 9 18 10 47,600,000
2008 34 8 24 10 60,300,000
2007 31 8 23 8 54,285,000
2006 33 8 25 8 50,275,000
2005 32 7 25 7 45,100,000
2004 32 6 27 5 42,875,000

You have a typo...Smiley Mike took over as commish in 2010.

Yup...after the 2009 financial crisis....he had to see new event sponsors wherever the LPGA could source them.

In 2021...there still a good base of LPGA events with sponsors or event presenters.....I counted 14 events with global HQ's outside the US....and I'm not including the canceled LPGA events in Asia & Oz.

The LPGA is a global tour....I like it....I want to see the best women golfers no matter where they come from....golf is primarily an individual sport...so for me I root for pros I like and not based on where they were born.

In S. Korea and Japan...women's golf continues to be more popular than men's golf and the gals play for more money.

Supply & DEMAND.

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Mollie Marcoux Samaan is off to a high flying start as the new LPGA commissioner.  To her credit, she saw a great opportunity and seized it.

LOL.

The LPGA business development team and Whan had their fingerprints on many of the changes we are seeing in the current and future (Chevron) LPGA events and purses long before Mollie stepped in.

On Golf Today...Beth Ann Nichols said she heard of the Chevron rumbles back in August.

When Damon Hack asked Beth...."what does this new move (Chevron) tell you about the new commissioner"

Beth...as usual....LAUGHS...."it tells me this was in the works long before Mollie came along and that we can't give her too much credit....good or bad"

Cognizant, AIG, Chevron, etc etc initiatives were all started before Mollie took over.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, postfold said:

Personally I'm a little skeptical of her ability to close deals as effectively as Whan, but if she has a strong team and the global economy is stable or better it may not matter.  The Chevron deal is certainly a solid start.

I agree....time will tell.

Mollie is simply announcing info on deals that were in the works before she took over.

If she did negotiate a 6 year term with Chevron...then good on her...but who knows.

Typically...most sponsorships are 3 years...with maybe a renewal clause in years 4 & 5.

Maybe Chevron is a 3 year term with renewals in year 4,5 and 6 in the contract.

I always thought Whan was a bit cheesy in his communication style...though I do think he's a good public speaker...just a tad too fast.

Seems like customers, staff and the LPGA pros liked him...or at least respected him.

His leading the USGA is a big career move...so he had to impress to secure that role as an 'outsider'.

I do like that he took initiatives and risks.

e.g.) The Founders.

When sponsors were difficult to source and with fewer tournaments...Whan convinced the LPGA pros to play an event w/o a purse....HONORING the 13 LPGA founders....now it's has grown to an event with a $3M purse.

I also like the idea that he and the LPGA team came up with the Int'l Crown...rather than just copy the men's Prez Cup format.

It's a shame that they are having a hard time finding a sponsor.

The commish is just one person...it's the TEAM that counts.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, KBong said:

I agree....time will tell.

Mollie is simply announcing info on deals that were in the works before she took over.

If she did negotiate a 6 year term with Chevron...then good on her...but who knows.

Typically...most sponsorships are 3 years...with maybe a renewal clause in years 4 & 5.

Maybe Chevron is a 3 year term with renewals in year 4,5 and 6 in the contract.

I always thought Whan was a bit cheesy in his communication style...though I do think he's a good public speaker...just a tad too fast.

Seems like customers, staff and the LPGA pros liked him...or at least respected him.

His leading the USGA is a big career move...so he had to impress to secure that role as an 'outsider'.

I do like that he took initiatives and risks.

e.g.) The Founders.

When sponsors were difficult to source and with fewer tournaments...Whan convinced the LPGA pros to play an event w/o a purse....HONORING the 13 LPGA founders....now it's has grown to an event with a $3M purse.

I also like the idea that he and the LPGA team came up with the Int'l Crown...rather than just copy the men's Prez Cup format.

It's a shame that they are having a hard time finding a sponsor.

The commish is just one person...it's the TEAM that counts.

Yup and in 10 years the prospective event in Afghanistan will be a major.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I thought this was going to be a discussion on the relative merits of Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Brahmin, Dooney, et. al. on tour.  Very disappointed. 🤣

What???...Coach too low class for you?

spacer.png

Let me guess....you own 25+ handbags.

I own one wallet.

Edited by KBong

3 hours ago, KBong said:

What???...Coach too low class for you?

spacer.png

Let me guess....you own 25+ handbags.

I own one wallet.

I have an old Dooney that I no longer use (too large - was hurting my back) and had a Coach before that.  I use only 1 handbag (Brahmin) for daily use and I have a couple of cheap clutches for fancy dress should the occasion arise.  Coach is nice and high quality, but not very practical.  Very few pockets and dividers.  I need all the organizational help I can get.  LOL!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I have an old Dooney that I no longer use (too large - was hurting my back) and had a Coach before that.  I use only 1 handbag (Brahmin) for daily use and I have a couple of cheap clutches for fancy dress should the occasion arise.  Coach is nice and high quality, but not very practical.  Very few pockets and dividers.  I need all the organizational help I can get.  LOL!

You live in TX...but I think near San Antonio???....which Houston courses do you think are on the short list?

I'm guessing it'll be the GCoH. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This movement will drive LPGA and Mollie Marcoux Samaan is savvy enough to ride it:

Column: Cognizant, Aon share wealth in golf sponsorship

"And the USGA is expected to announce by the end of the year a presenting sponsor to boost the U.S. Women’s Open purse, which already features the largest payout for the majors."

Edited by 18majors

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

1) This movement will drive LPGA and Mollie Marcoux Samaan is savvy enough to ride it:

Column: Cognizant, Aon share wealth in golf sponsorship

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

2) And the USGA is expected to announce by the end of the year a presenting sponsor to boost the U.S. Women’s Open purse, which already features the largest payout for the majors."

1) LMAO

2) That's because the USGA is tired of losing $10M on the USWO and is trying to shill another organization to share the pain.

25 minutes ago, KBong said:

2) That's because the USGA is tired of losing $10M on the USWO and is trying to shill another organization to share the pain.

On the contrary!

USGA will continue to invest multimillions to USWO; but this will help raise the purse to $8.0-10.0 millions in the next few years.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KBong said:

Let's see if Fernandez advances to into the rd of 8 starting in approx a hour.

Da*m...our Canuck POSER got taken down...a hard fought match except for the 2nd set,

After the 1st set I thought Leylah would win.

I don't like Bianca A....Shapo and Felix are out too...guess I'll have to watch MLB playoffs now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This article provides insight to why Mollie Marcoux Samaan has been so successful in a short period she's been the new commissioner:

LPGA Tour seizing on more sponsor interest in women’s sports

“I think people have also had an awakening around women’s sports,” she said. “And they said, ‘Wow, this is an undervalued asset out in the world. We need to accentuate that value.’

“So I think generally, because of the world’s focus on diversity, equity and inclusion, I think people have looked at women’s sports and said, ‘That’s an area in the world that there’s not a great deal of parity or a great deal of equity.’”

“We’re constantly looking at all levels of the tour. How do our top players do, financially, how do the middle players do, how do the bottom players do? We look at pay equity,” Marcoux Samaan said. “We look at the deltas between the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour, and the delta gets bigger as you go down the money list.

“I think if we can close that delta, and also if we can make sure that the top players in the world can make a living commensurate with their talent, I think that is a real big goal of ours.”

While LPGA is intent to grow their purses, it's important to keep an eye on what PGA Tour is doing:

Exclusive: PGA Tour is boosting bonuses, prize money for stars; FedEx Cup jumps to $75 million

"The memo outlines an expected $1.522 billion in consolidated revenue for 2022, 85 percent of which comes from sponsors and the Tour’s new media rights deal, which takes effect in January. After explaining $716 million in operating expenses, the commissioner added that a $32 million draw on reserve funds for prize money increases means there will be a total of $838 million allocated to players.

Of that, $685 million comes in the form of comprehensive earnings, defined by the Tour as prize money, bonus programs and contributions to health care and pension plans. The other $153 million comes from official business partners—chiefly equipment and apparel companies—whose deals with the Tour require they spend guaranteed amounts directly with players in the form of endorsements. Monahan wrote his goal is to see that source of money double in the next two years."

Basically, PGA Tour will have a total purse (prize money and bonus programs) of about $490 million in 2022.  By comparison, LPGA will have about $87 million, or 18% of PGA Tour.

As Mollie pointed out, the mega trend of diversity, equity and inclusion will help LPGA, they're the tailwinds.  They will help LPGA to get expanded media exposures and the whole world will recognize LPGA as a fantastic product.  I'm sure Mollie has everything planned out already and will execute expediently in 2022.

Edited by 18majors

22 hours ago, 18majors said:

While LPGA is intent to grow their purses, it's important to keep an eye on what PGA Tour is doing:

Exclusive: PGA Tour is boosting bonuses, prize money for stars; FedEx Cup jumps to $75 million

"The memo outlines an expected $1.522 billion in consolidated revenue for 2022, 85 percent of which comes from sponsors and the Tour’s new media rights deal, which takes effect in January. After explaining $716 million in operating expenses, the commissioner added that a $32 million draw on reserve funds for prize money increases means there will be a total of $838 million allocated to players.

Of that, $685 million comes in the form of comprehensive earnings, defined by the Tour as prize money, bonus programs and contributions to health care and pension plans. The other $153 million comes from official business partners—chiefly equipment and apparel companies—whose deals with the Tour require they spend guaranteed amounts directly with players in the form of endorsements. Monahan wrote his goal is to see that source of money double in the next two years."

Basically, PGA Tour will have a total purse (prize money and bonus programs) of about $630 million in 2022.  By comparison, LPGA will have about $87 million, or 14% of PGA Tour.

As Mollie pointed out, the mega trend of diversity, equity and inclusion will help LPGA, they're the tailwinds.  They will help LPGA to get expanded media exposures and the whole world will recognize LPGA as a fantastic product.  I'm sure Mollie has everything planned out already and will execute expediently in 2022.

The winds of change can blow both ways.  I worry about the eventual backlash to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Edited by ThinkingPlus
Grammer...
  • Like 2

• 18majors changed the title to LPGA Purses and Endorsements