2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LPGA Purses and Endorsements

18majors

I don't usually read Amy Rogers, but this one makes sense:

OUR TIME IS NOW

"The Tour’s opening stretch is a sign of the ever-improving LPGA schedule, which previously featured a single stop in the Sunshine State. The lone January event made an early trip on the calendar to the United States a tough decision for international players who would return to Asia for the Tour’s second stretch of the season as soon as February. Now, the schedule begins with a solid run of events that make sense for players from both a traveling and logistics standpoint, made possible by the commitment of sponsors, venues and a commissioner who is invested in making life as simple as possible for players."

One reason it's important to have a financially healthy LPGA is the trickling down effects to Symetra and other developmental tours in the USA:

New Developmental Women’s Professional Golf Tour to Kick Off in January 2022

East Coast Women’s Professional Golf Tour (ECWPGT) 

"Travel costs eat up budgets for developmental tour players who pay their own entry fees, which largely fund tournament purses. Most U.S. professional players below the LPGA level are self-funded and do not have big sponsor contracts like their male peers at the same level nor a national program behind them like so many international players. While men and women have the same expenses, there are dozens of developmental men’s tours with significantly larger purses making it viable for them to be on the road for 10-12 weeks at a time. Many female professional players have side jobs to which they must return to make up the delta between earnings and expenses. The ECWPGT creates a regionalized approach narrowing the gap between the high cost of playing and the low earnings potential."

Looks like Jessica picked up a primary sponsor this season, Titleist. She has their staff bag and visor. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is a good podcast with Mollie Marcoux Samman.  it's very obvious that she's a clear thinker and her total focus is to make LPGA better for all her players.  She starts around minute 20.00:

The Amy and Adam Show: LPGA commish sets stage, talks new rules for 2022

More dead air and nothing new from Mollie.

She must have said....partner...30+ times...LMAO.🤣

21 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is a good podcast with Mollie Marcoux Samman.  it's very obvious that she's a clear thinker and her total focus is to make LPGA better for all her players.  She starts around minute 20.00:

The Amy and Adam Show: LPGA commish sets stage, talks new rules for 2022

You should really advertise your PR business.  The amount of work you are doing on the new commish's behalf is good proof that you don't let things sit around.  You haven't convinced me she is any great shakes, but you certainly get an A for effort.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

You should really advertise your PR business.  The amount of work you are doing on the new commish's behalf is good proof that you don't let things sit around.  You haven't convinced me she is any great shakes, but you certainly get an A for effort.

Mollie is off to a good start, but it will take at least 1-2 years for me to be convinced as well.

One thing I’m sure though; she’s a much better team player compared to Mike Whan.  She is comfortable and confident to stay in the background and let her people take the spotlight and take the credit.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

One thing I’m sure though; she’s a much better team player compared to Mike Whan.  

LMAO.

If you are so SURE....please give us DETAILS/FACTS how Mollie is a MUCH better TEAM PLAYER than Whan?

Have you ever work with either or been employed by the LPGA to witness their day to day behaviors and conduct?

I don't think you've even met either.

I have yet to hear anyone say Whan is selfish, arrogant or autocratic.

If anything, IMO....I've felt and heard at times in his interviews or discussions on TV....that Whan can be a bit self deprecating at times.

All we've heard from LPGA players is their praise for Whan as the LPGA commish.

Even Mollie has stated how appreciative that Whan is available to her if she needs any guidance/advise or an opinion.

I have met Mike and had a short chat with him...a very approachable guy.

You don't become the head of the USGA without the respect within the golf industry and without being a strong business leader as an outside hire. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KBong said:

LMAO.

If you are so SURE....please give us DETAILS/FACTS how Mollie is a MUCH better TEAM PLAYER than Whan?

Have you ever work with either or been employed by the LPGA to witness their day to day behaviors and conduct?

I don't think you've even met either.

I have yet to hear anyone say Whan is selfish, arrogant or autocratic.

If anything, IMO....I've felt and heard at times in his interviews or discussions on TV....that Whan can be a bit self deprecating at times.

All we've heard from LPGA players is their praise for Whan as the LPGA commish.

Even Mollie has stated how appreciative that Whan is available to her if she needs any guidance/advise or an opinion.

I have met Mike and had a short chat with him...a very approachable guy.

You don't become the head of the USGA without the respect within the golf industry and without being a strong business leader as an outside hire. 

Maybe 18majors IS Mollie?

Like Clark Kent>Superman?

"Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind ...

• Haha 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Been thinking about the Mike and Mollie thing…ooh, sounds like a sitcom title….you know the one

Best Mike & Molly Episodes | Episode Ninja

After the above bit of fun, the following comments are not intended to pigeon-hole Mollie or Mike but I remember studying a business book some years ago entitled “Good to Great” based on research of the leaders of many US organisations. One of the conclusions was that a charismatic leader (good front person, the face or the organisation, excellent presenter, engages media, can get people to initially follow them etc) doesn’t guarantee an organisation’s success, in fact more often the organisation would fail because the charismatic leader was narcissistic and may not have the other leadership skills needed. I recall Lee Iacocca was put up as this type of charismatic 'failure' at Chrysler.

Like I have stated, I am not categorising say Mike as that charismatic leader and Mollie not in the "good to Great' scenario, but my point is that being a great front person isn’t the only way to achieve organisational success as a leader. Some leaders set a good strategy and empower others to execute parts of it in more public facing roles – that can work.

Mike had enough success in his LPGA role to secure his current role. Mollie’s style is different to Mike’s, but it can also be successful.

Two or so years from now should give us all an understanding. As I’ve said before, good luck to Mollie.

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 1/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, Holy Moses said:

The men's and women's purses in tennis are only comparable for the majors where the men and women play at the same venue. 

Why do female tennis players make more in endorsements than female professional golfers? Perception will say the following, although I'm not saying it's necessarily reality. The separation between the average rec male golfer and an LPGA player is not nearly as great as the difference between an average rec male tennis player and a professional WTA player. Male rec golfers think they have all the shots that women can hit. They think they can hit it as far or farther than LPGA players and can do everything they do, just not as consistently. But no regular guy can serve it 105 mph or have the power and precision that a female tennis player has. We watch pro sports because they do things in their game that we have no chance of doing and we are in awe. More perceived athleticism, more endorsement money. 

It's the reason why golf,  men or women, will always lag way behind any other more athletic professional sports.  At least in the US. The PGA tour suffers from all of the same issues the LPGA tour does, just to a lessor degree AND no Tiger. It has similar marketability issues with the current crop of players. No Tiger/Phil, no one watches. Bryson's side show helps a bit, but he'll never win enough to sustain it. 

Without a true dominant player, golf just isn't interesting to casual fans and even a bunch of hard-core golfers

The rising tide lifts all boats:

Stout Adds LPGA Tour Players as Brand Ambassadors

"CHICAGO, Jan. 25, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Stout, a global investment bank and advisory firm, has signed multi-year sponsorship agreements with LPGA Tour players Lizette Salas and Lauren Stephenson. Both players will wear the Stout logo when they begin the 2022 season."

JABIAN CONSULTING SPONSORS LPGA ROOKIE AMANDA DOHERTY

Meghan MacLaren is determined to make it to LPGA:

Sky Sports Golf podcast: Meghan MacLaren on LPGA Tour Q-Series stresses and her 2022 ambitions

"I think, as of now, I'm going to concentrate on the Symetra Tour," MacLaren said. "In an ideal world, I would play great and it might free me up to play the LET later in the year."

skysports-meghan-maclaren-rose-ladies-se

This is shaping up to be a signature accomplishment by Mollie.  Mike Whan only cared about glamour events that got him on the podium, but Mollie is more intent to serve her entire constituents.:

Epson Tour Ups Women’s Professional Golf

1.   Entry fee is reduced from $500 to $450, with the goal to eliminate it
  2.   Purse will be at least $200,000 per tournament, up from $150,000
  3.   The Top-10 graduates will get a bonus of $10,000 each

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Upon closer examination, it simply doesn't hold up because $200,000 prize money per event means that there is ony $2.00 Million in total purse size for the tour. 

Please read carefully!

Purse per event is 'at least' $200,000, it could be higher or a lot higher.  2022 schedule won't be announced until week of February 3, 2022; it'll be at least 20 events and a total purse of well over $4.0 million.

5 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Please read carefully!

Purse per event is 'at least' $200,000, it could be higher or a lot higher.  2022 schedule won't be announced until week of February 3, 2022; it'll be at least 20 events and a total purse of well over $4.0 million.

Yes . . . READ CAREFULLY what is written 🙄:

On 1/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, 18majors said:

2021 season was a disaster with only 20 tournaments and a total purse of $4.0 million, both down from 2019.  I trust Mollie will present something better on Wednesday.

Edited by Golf Dino

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I'm sure you're right, but the logo doesn't need to be on the hat.

Yea, I’d like to think the hat is worth more than $10,000 for the year. 

It’s good that they put “EPSON TOUR” and not just “EPSON.”

Do we know if all 10 are getting it this year?

16 minutes ago, 18majors said:

So, what's your point?

Are you disputing that 2022 will have bigger purses and more events than 2021?

LOOK, this is what YOU stated: 

2021 season was a disaster with only 20 tournaments and a total purse of

$4.0  million, both down from 2019

It is a contradiction to what you have said and are now claiming.   IF $4.00 Million was a disaster in 2021 then how is a rumored $4.00 Million in 2022 not a disaster . . . using YOUR STATEMENTS and logic.

OF course 2021 was not $4.00 Million but was something stated in haste to take a gratuitous shot at Mike, and glorify Mollie . . . why? 

It was a mistake on your part obviously.

Hopefully 2022 will have more events . . . but I would be pleasantly surprised if they had much of an increase.  It is usually something that happens over a stretch of a few years.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 2