2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LPGA Purses and Endorsements

18majors

4 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Huge thanks to Mike Whan's leadership at the USGA for making this happen!  His ability to bring on a corporate sponsor in ProMedica is a huge benefit -- and there is no "Pro-Am" required! 😂   
Glad to see Whan pull it together and provide the leadership.  I suspect that we will see the corporate participation increase at the USWO over the next few years . . .but hopefully not to the point of giving away the naming rights to the USWO.  

Some of the finer points of the deal: 

Terrific to see Mike Whan continue the great job he did all the years he led the LPGA!  The USGA is lucky to have him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BadgerLin said:

Terrific to see Mike Whan continue the great job he did all the years he led the LPGA!  The USGA is lucky to have him.

Agreed.  It provides some continuity at the executive leval of golf for women's golf.  So between the LPGA, the USGA and now the R&A, plus the PGA of America, all focusing on women's golf, it will hopefully continue its upward trajectory.  But it won't be easy, nothing worthwhile ever is.

• Like 1

My guess of 2022 Majors ($million):

2021                            2022

Chevron                                                3.25                             5.0

USWO                                                    5.5                              10.0

KPMG                                                    4.5                               5.5

Amundi                                                  4.5                              5.0

AIG                                                        5.8                               8.0

Total                                                     23.55                          33.5  (+9.95, +42.2%)

Mollie's challenge is to grow the purse of regular events using Cognizant's $3.0 million as the blue print.

4 minutes ago, postfold said:

Great news.

And not gonna lie I'm also very pleased to hear about the return of back to back USO/USWO at Pinehurst.

Why wait 7 years?

IMO....if the USGA was really interested to bring more attention to women's golf and more eyeballs...they'd have the USO & USWO played concurrently kinda like what occurs at the tennis majors.

Maybe over a 2 week span....alternating days???...or alternating tee times...guys/gals/guy/gals???....or playing in 4somes....2 men/2 women???....I don't know...just throwing out some ideas.

Many of us have played in 4somes.....2 men/2 women without issues and I believe many find it quite enjoyable...so why not for competitive golf.

Just thinking outside the box.

The USGA took down grandstands for the USWO in 2014 at Pinehurst to make the appearance that there were "more" fans vs. showing vacant grandstands.

Fewer eyes were watching the USWO.

13 minutes ago, KBong said:

Why wait 7 years?

IMO....if the USGA was really interested to bring more attention to women's golf and more eyeballs...they'd have the USO & USWO played concurrently kinda like what occurs at the tennis majors.

Maybe over a 2 week span....alternating days???...or alternating tee times...guys/gals/guy/gals???....or playing in 4somes....2 men/2 women???....I don't know...just throwing out some ideas.

Because they had already awarded earlier dates for both the USO and USWO to other courses?  Is this a trick question?  Or possibly because they wanted to do it at Pinehurst as part of their HQ#2 deal?  Or other courses weren't willing to do it even if the USGA wanted to?

I haven't watched much of the tournaments that play the men and women at the same time.  Seems like there was an event in Australia and also one in Sweden.   I think if you did it that way the coverage of the women would be marginalized, which is regrettable.  The men's USO is such a big deal.  I personally much prefer that the women have their own stage up against some anonymous MegaBank Open on the PGA tour.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, just not one that I would implement for the biggest event of the entire season.  You don't mess with the crown jewel unless you're pretty sure.

Edited by postfold
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:55 AM, 18majors said:

The preliminary entries list for Hilton Tournament of Champions are out, it included Michelle Wie West on Medical/Maternity Exemption category.

Entry List

Surprised to see:

1.   Minjee Lee:  An early trip from Australia, she means business this year
  2.   Inbee Park:  She might have stayed in Las Vegas all winter
  3.   Georgia Hall:  An early trip, like Minjee
  4.   Moriya Jutuanugarn but no Ariya Jutuanugarn

It appears the purse increase (from $1.2 million to $1.5 million) does make it more attractive.

@Supermilo

With many Koreans, Europeans and Australians committed to TOC; the number of 2021 Q-Series players who'll be eligible for Gainbridge will be less than my earlier projection.  Bianca still has a good chance, but Hinako may need to request for a sponsor exemption.

The Aussies will probably all come over early to play early in tournaments or just to be able to leave their homes and practice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, postfold said:

Because they had already awarded earlier dates for both the USO and USWO to other courses?  Is this a trick question?  Or possibly because they wanted to do it at Pinehurst as part of their HQ#2 deal?  Or other courses weren't willing to do it even if the USGA wanted to?

I haven't watched much of the tournaments that play the men and women at the same time.  Seems like there was an event in Australia and also one in Sweden.   I think if you did it that way the coverage of the women would be marginalized, which is regrettable.  The men's USO is such a big deal.  I personally much prefer that the women have their own stage up against some anonymous MegaBank Open on the PGA tour.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, just not one that I would implement for the biggest event of the entire season.  You don't mess with the crown jewel unless you're pretty sure.

They could have done it earlier in 2026 at Shinnecock where a USWO has never been played....but yes....it's difficult enough to find any club to host an event.

I just didn't think there was anything special about the 2014 USWO.....so why bother to repeat it....and I not a big fan of Pinehurst...so obviously I'm biased.

I know it would be a logistical nightmare to have a concurrent men's and women's event...major or non major.

I just think having a concurrent event would bring more eyeballs to women's golf.

I think the popularity, equal prize money and huge women's tennis endorsements are because the women play concurrently with the men at the tennis majors.

Except for the majors...it don't watch much tennis or any tennis otherwise.

Are there as many eyeballs watching the WTA vs the WTP?

I can't explain it and I don't think others have explained it why the top tier women tennis pros make significantly more money in endorsements vs. the top tier women golf pros.

I would think it would be the opposite as I would think that as a sport....golf is far more popular than tennis.

I see so many public tennis courts (free tennis) sitting empty....it's tough enough to get a tee time at all our 5 muni's here....it would be outrageous to see everyone lining up to play free golf.

I do believe that women's golf should set their own identity & standards and need not copy anything the guys do nor compare what the male golfers make/earn or what money is driven within the PGA tour.

The LPGA should stand on it own merit.

I enjoy watching women's golf because it's good golf....I don't care if they can't hit a ball 340...we have the PGA tour for that.

I also enjoy playing golf with women....in 53 years...I've yet to be paired up with a female golfer who acts like a tool.....yes I've played with some guys who were not too enjoyable to golf with...but fortunately....those occasions are rare.

Though I really enjoy reading the WRX threads where golfers are paired up with idiots and reading their experiences....good entertainment for a read.

16 minutes ago, KBong said:

I think the popularity, equal prize money and huge women's tennis endorsements are because the women play concurrently with the men at the tennis majors.

Except for the majors...it don't watch much tennis or any tennis otherwise.

Are there as many eyeballs watching the WTA vs the WTP?

I can't explain it and I don't think others have explained it why the top tier women tennis pros make significantly more money in endorsements vs. the top tier women golf pros.

The men's and women's purses in tennis are only comparable for the majors where the men and women play at the same venue. 

Why do female tennis players make more in endorsements than female professional golfers? Perception will say the following, although I'm not saying it's necessarily reality. The separation between the average rec male golfer and an LPGA player is not nearly as great as the difference between an average rec male tennis player and a professional WTA player. Male rec golfers think they have all the shots that women can hit. They think they can hit it as far or farther than LPGA players and can do everything they do, just not as consistently. But no regular guy can serve it 105 mph or have the power and precision that a female tennis player has. We watch pro sports because they do things in their game that we have no chance of doing and we are in awe. More perceived athleticism, more endorsement money. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The 2022 USWO will be a big opportunity for LPGA and NBC Network to create the biggest bang for the bucks.  However, they can't control who the winner will be.

Which winner will create the biggest splash?

• Nelly Korda:  It would be a big deal for the USA if she's still #1 and to add this new crown
  • Yuka Saso:  She would become one of a few to defend the US Open title
  • Patty Tavatanakit:  Will establish her as a big game player on top of her dominant 2021 Chevron performance
  • Atthaya Thitikul:  Can she be the Tiger Woods of LPGA if she wins by 12 shots?
  • Hinako Shibuno:  She will send the entire country of Japan into a tailspin

Any other thoughts?

10 hours ago, KBong said:

They could have done it earlier in 2026 at Shinnecock where a USWO has never been played....but yes....it's difficult enough to find any club to host an event.

I just didn't think there was anything special about the 2014 USWO.....so why bother to repeat it....and I not a big fan of Pinehurst...so obviously I'm biased.

Right.  I have no idea if they asked Shinnecock, but even if they had it's a very good question whether Shinnecock would have said yes.  It's a fact that members hate having their private club (that they pay a lot of money for) shut down and unavailable.  Adding another week to a shutdown that's already taking two weeks plus out of the heart of an already short season?  Could be hard to swallow.  But we'll probably never know if they asked.

Pinehurst being a resort with a single owner is a little different.  Plus it's nearly a year-round destination.  They'll come out ahead on the deal.

I enjoyed 2014, Michelle Wie winning was just a bonus.  Lots of drama, a good hard challenge for the best golfers in the world that wasn't just distance.  I will say that I enjoyed the women's event more than the men's but that may have just been due to watching more of the women.

It's too bad that you're not a big fan of Pinehurst, it really is an amazing place and I don't just mean #2.  In fact I've never played #2, despite visiting the area annually for 15 or so years.  If I were going to ever travel to volunteer for an event I'd go for that one, but I don't think I'll be quite old enough to take the time off (i.e. retired, lol)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, postfold said:

Right.  I have no idea if they asked Shinnecock, but even if they had it's a very good question whether Shinnecock would have said yes.  It's a fact that members hate having their private club (that they pay a lot of money for) shut down and unavailable.  Adding another week to a shutdown that's already taking two weeks plus out of the heart of an already short season?  Could be hard to swallow.  But we'll probably never know if they asked.

Pinehurst being a resort with a single owner is a little different.  Plus it's nearly a year-round destination.  They'll come out ahead on the deal.

I enjoyed 2014, Michelle Wie winning was just a bonus.  Lots of drama, a good hard challenge for the best golfers in the world that wasn't just distance.  I will say that I enjoyed the women's event more than the men's but that may have just been due to watching more of the women.

It's too bad that you're not a big fan of Pinehurst, it really is an amazing place and I don't just mean #2.  In fact I've never played #2, despite visiting the area annually for 15 or so years.  If I were going to ever travel to volunteer for an event I'd go for that one, but I don't think I'll be quite old enough to take the time off (i.e. retired, lol)

With Covid golf demand....many privates are PACKED with members playing...so it's even worse to give up your course/locker room/clubhouse, etc for 17 days.

Though I would expect a place like Shinnecock isn't PACKED everyday with golfers.

What's worst with hosting a USO....the USGA is at the club years in advance telling ya what to do....it could be an annoyance.

BUT these clubs signed up for it ....so they're willing to accept the annoyance and wear and tear to the course.

I understand it's a logistical nightmare for fans to make their way to Shinny to watch the USO....and expensive considering hotels, etc are few and far between....but they'll sell out tickets as usual.

I believe the 2014 USO was a borefest cause Kaymer won by 8 strokes and wire to wire and not a hugely popular pro with the fan base.

Now if Kaymer was not there....I think it would have been more fun to watch because Fowler, Day and DJ would have been duking it out for the trophy along with others.

I don't like Wie....entitled and phony.

I'm surprised you haven't play #2.

I'm sure I'd like to play golf at the Pinehurst complex.

But I'd rank Bandon, Bethpage, Whistling Strait/Blackwolf and Streamsong as destinations before Pinehurst....maybe if I'd visited the Pinehurst complex I might change my mine.

I have been to the Carolina's twice....Myrtle Beach....I really enjoyed the area...lots of fun.

We also like golf vacations by the water too and something to do outside of golf.....and also for the scenery.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:53 PM, Golf Dino said:

Agreed.  It provides some continuity at the executive leval of golf for women's golf.  So between the LPGA, the USGA and now the R&A, plus the PGA of America, all focusing on women's golf, it will hopefully continue its upward trajectory.  But it won't be easy, nothing worthwhile ever is.

Well, for me, they need to get their act together. I took my daughter to one Ladies’ British Open, never again. Even after allowing for the shared greens and fairways of the Old Course, 6hrs 15mins for 18 holes in 3-balls is absurd. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, Holy Moses said:

More perceived athleticism, more endorsement money. 

It's not an easy one to explain why women's tennis endorsements are SO HUGE in comparison to women golfers.

I'm not fully on board with the above rationale....BUT it does have some merit,

Maybe why women's gymnasts and figure skaters (especially ones who win Olympic gold) obtain HUGE endorsements cause it takes GREAT athleticism to excel in the about 2 sports.

It is all about being able to market yourself.  Olympic gymnasts and figure skaters have an fabulous opportunity to market themselves in prime time on television.

They have just the right amount of exposure, given the short attention spans of the people watching.  People aren't going to watch television for hours to find out who won.

They will watch the highlights of the previous day.  How exciting is that minute or two of video?

Beth Ann Nichols took us deep inside the tour life:

Former Solheim Cup player who missed her LPGA card by a single stroke now at a crossroads

"So many players have this same conversation with themselves every year. Most walk away quietly, still keeping in touch with the game through pro-ams and qualifiers."

Kristy McPherson

GettyImages-89979302.jpg?resize=1024,750

Hmmmm....Gerina Mendoza....I assume Gerina is now separated or divorced....IMO....Martin seemed like a goof.

Kinda surprised CHEESE married him...supposedly she didn't like him when they 1st met. 

Brooke Matthews & Gina Kim on the alternate list...I assume they decided to take membership now and not to postpone it due to school.

Nothing on PXG's website...I thought Parsons might have made an offer to Gina to become a PXG POSER.

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

@Supermilo

The Tournament Entries for Gainbridge has been released:

Gainbridge

Yaeeun Hong, #13 from 2021 Q-Series, is the lowest priority qualified to play; Bianca and Ayaka are in the field but Hinako is out at the moment.

2 of 3. Not bad to start the year... Hinako will more than get her chances with automatic entries to majors this yr 🙂

• Like 2

Good news for aspiring young superstars:

LPGA rule change makes it easier for young stars to ride a hot streak and potentially earn a card

"There’s a rule change coming to the LPGA in 2022 that will make it easier for up-and-coming stars to get on a hot streak. LPGA regulations will now allow a non-member who finishes in the top 10 in designated events to tee it up the next week, the LPGA confirmed to Golfweek. The PGA Tour has a similar rule.

Previously, the LPGA only held two spots for top-10 finishers who were members."

• Like 4

On 1/14/2022 at 10:31 AM, AWinfortheAges said:

Why didn't they use Nelly's full name? It's shorter than most of the names on the list. 

Come on.

Quit goofing around. You know the answer to your question.🤣

No one likes Nelly, so no one cares and are willing to make the effort spell out her full name....nuff said.

Edited by KBong