2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

LPGA Purses and Endorsements

18majors

She'll try anything:

Top LPGA Tour player commits to Shadow Creek tournament

"Korda said she normally takes the week off before the U.S. Women’s Open to prepare for the major championship, but she wants to try something different this year.

With only two missed cuts in the past two years — both in the U.S. Open — she said it’s time to shake things up.

“I’m planning to play the Vegas event just to see if my luck changes,” said Korda, one of only four top players to bypass Las Vegas in 2021. Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson and Jessica Korda also skipped the event."

16134804_web1_16082932-4c342b1a2b7c47119

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. Why give Canada a 2nd event? They can't seem to run the CWO, so we certainly don't need two canceled tournaments. Pfffttt. 🙃

Plenty of places that are golf crazy that don't have tournaments. I'd like to see an event return to Arizona. Chicago had a solid run with the International Crown and two KPMGs in three years, but now it's silent. If Toledo and Grand Rapids can attract events, certainly Chicago can find a course willing to host the women. I'd love to see the LPGA at Cog Hill Dubsdread. The course hosted the Western Open and BMW for ages. The Glen Club would also be excellent. They've hosted a Korn Ferry event for a number of years. 

I'd definitely like to see a major in Korea. Maybe we need a compromise. Since most don't consider the Evian a "real" major, why not alternate it between Europe and Korea every other year? 

I was going to take offense at first with the Canadian comment, but actually, you're right.  While they are far from the most important thing, Canada has done everything in its power to make professional sports avoid it like the plague.

The people that matter consider the Evian a major:  Evian.  That purse shrinks, or they go away completely if they lose the major designation.

Golf crazy....  that is a fluid term.  It's one thing to give up the course for the men, where the money/prestige of hosting makes it worthwhile.  I'm not so sure that exists for the LPGA.  If owners/members don't want to give up their course, it doesn't matter how golf crazy a place is.

Although Nelly Korda added 3 more followers, and Mollie will make it rain.  At least I'm assured of that by one poster.  (and I don't think he is CEO).

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Golf crazy....  that is a fluid term.  It's one thing to give up the course for the men, where the money/prestige of hosting makes it worthwhile.  I'm not so sure that exists for the LPGA.  If owners/members don't want to give up their course, it doesn't matter how golf crazy a place is.

Plenty of public courses have hosted majors. If the members of a private club don't want to hand over their course, perhaps a public venue would be willing.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Plenty of public courses have hosted majors. If the members of a private club don't want to hand over their course, perhaps a public venue would be willing.

But again, if an owner has a packed tee sheet paying oodles of money, does an LPGA event bring in enough money to make up for it?  Does having been host of one add any cache to justify raising fees afterwards?  I'm not sold.  

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

But again, if an owner has a packed tee sheet paying oodles of money, does an LPGA event bring in enough money to make up for it?  Does having been host of one add any cache to justify raising fees afterwards?  I'm not sold.  

I don't believe the course receives $ when hosting a LPGA event.

Who owns public courses in the US?

In Australia it is a mix of local authority and private owners.

IF? there are any decent local authority owned public courses (big if) then with profit as a lower owner consideration (possibly), can the LPGA make some arrangements more easily?

Obviously have to be decent courses, no good if there aren't any.

Its just so rubbish that there are no US LPGA events for this month, got to fill the calendar some how but still with courses that offer a legit test.

Its taken me some time but I now realise why the players seem genuinely excited about playing the better courses when added to the roster (like Inverness with the Solheim and USWO in a few years). Great to see LPGA events on outstanding and historical courses, the players deserve the opportunity.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

42 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Who owns public courses in the US?

In Australia it is a mix of local authority and private owners.

In Canada, of the public courses.....there are far more privately owned courses than municipality (muni's) owned courses.

Maybe things have changed...I don't think so....but I don't believe the LPGA/sponsors pay the host course to hold an event....so there really aren't any incentives to host an event.

I believe the PGA tour/sponsors pay a host venue.

So it's a double whammy for the LPGA...difficulty finding sponsors and host venues too.

The LPGA continues to have difficulties finding sponsors

e.g.) why is JTBC sponsoring three 2022 events with low purses?

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

In Canada, of the public courses.....there are far more privately owned courses than municipality (muni's) owned courses.

Maybe things have changed...I don't think so....but I don't believe the LPGA/sponsors pay the host course to hold an event....so there really aren't any incentives to host an event.

I believe the PGA tour/sponsors pay a host venue.

So it's a double whammy for the LPGA...difficulty finding sponsors and host venues too.

The LPGA continues to have difficulties finding sponsors

e.g.) why is JTBC sponsoring three 2022 events with low purses?

Yes, it's not a simple solution paying the host course as the incentive means existing venues will say pay me or renegotiate more favourable terms if the LPGA went down that path to attract new venues.

It's a vital yet difficult issue for Mollie to solve, the Tour needs a consistent run of events over the season and now covid is possibly receding, 2023 can get back to a closer to normal environment (hopefully).

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

It's a vital yet difficult issue for Mollie to solve, the Tour needs a consistent run of events over the season and now covid is possibly receding, 2023 can get back to a closer to normal environment (hopefully).

It's not just a Mollie issue.....it has always and at least in my lifetime....it will continue to be a challenge for the LPGA to secure future venues and sponsors.

The LPGA is a niche sport that attracts a limited audience.

The current product and schedule is a good one and we all should be happy for what we have to watch.

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

While the stock market is taking a beating; it's nice to know we'll see these two in a short while:

1) So 6 weeks is a short time for you?....you won't be DROOLING about Nelly until Mar 24...when she tees it up again at the JTBC Classic.

2) The stock market is taking a beating?

You do know the Dow Jones is up approx 75% over a near 2 year timeframe (Mar 2020).

And you had the audacity to call me a moron.

The LPGA is really grasping at straws to keep relevant lately.🤣

7 hours ago, North Texas said:

The next question is, what is the context of their post?

@North Texas "+1" re your question "what was the context?" (of that Golf Digest instagram photo compilation) ... was curious, so i googled it. 

The question from Golf Digest = "Which player made you fall in love with the game?"

My 2nd question from that photo montage

= "where's Gary Player?"; "Where's Tom Watson?"  and "Where's Freddie Couples?"

=====

Responses = across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/GolfDigest/photos/a.210060213728/10160001351238729/ 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ0gmtQtrY1/

14 hours ago, 18majors said:

Appreciate that they included LPGA players, but the list seems arbitrary; no Karrie Webb, Se Ri Pak or Lydia Ko?

Golf Digest Instagram

273692992_1209505519581009_446075447074690957_n.jpg.ee391f43fbf3a6ab8ccb48002b3400a4.jpg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, North Texas said:

The next question is, what is the context of their post?

I'll just say I know we all have our special gifts and talents and are all wonders to behold . . . . but it didn't bother I wasn't staring at a picture of Karrie Webb. 

And just to b**** myself, no Nancy Lopez? 

And somewhere Gary Player is tweeting out a picture of himself!

1 hour ago, Tom Kelly said:

Nelly must have been included on a Mark to Market basis like Enron.

And I'm teasing a little bit because I know they want some current golfers and I really do hope she has been and will be an inspiration - but I guess my get those whippersnappers off my lawn view was thinking more older generation, all timers. 

I got a laugh out of one of the comments from someone wanting to know why their favorite Payne Stewart wasn't on there, haha - guess he wasn't that inspiring! I thought he was!

Edited by Hawkeye77

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

Somebody seems jealous....

Btw, I can't seem to find any of these girls stats on the LPGA/LET/JLPGA/KLPGA. Crazy, almost like they have zero to do with golf. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 18majors said:

More proof and another reason why the unlikable and unmarketable Nelly should SELL OUT (like Saso) and trade in her US passport for a PROC passport.

If Nelly wants to learn more about Asian culture, she can ask BIL, Johnny "Orchids of Asia" DelPrete for some info.🤪

In 2021, Nelly wins 4 LPGA tournaments  including a major and an Olympic GOLD medal....yet American companies have yet to step up and throw some big money her way.....Fila has some ownership in Titleist.

We are still waiting on this "big announcement"

Gu...one Olympic Gold medal

Nelly...one Olympic Golf medal

Gu went from 400k to 1M IG followers

Nelly stalling out at 476k IG followers

Hmmm....the benefits of being associated with The Great People of China...just sayin.

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1

Spending the weekend watching two complete rounds of PGA Tour coverage and I wasn't impressed.    I'm, of course, biased.  But frankly there're many more display of brilliances between Lydia and Danielle at Gainbridge.

It's just a matter of time before the general public realize that!

18 hours ago, 18majors said:

1) Spending the weekend watching two complete rounds of PGA Tour coverage and I wasn't impressed.  

2) It's just a matter of time before the general public realize that!

1) So what aspects of the WMPO this weekend weren't impressive?

2) Unless we adopt a Korean or Japanese culture (women's golf is more popular in these countries)....IMO....the LPGA will always be 2nd fiddle to the PGA tour 

This week's PGA Tour Genesis Invitational has a purse of $12.0 million and the upcoming The Players Championship $20.0 million; this put a lot of pressure on the Major Championship.

In 2021, Major Championships offered purses of $11.0 - 12.5 million; less than the Players' $15.0 million but in the same ball park.  This year is a different story.

I don't know what Major Championships will do; would it lose its prestige if their purses become a fraction of regular tour events?

I believe the ongoing fight between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia will provide an window of opportunity for LPGA to sneak up and be counted.

Edited by 18majors

4 minutes ago, KBong said:

1) So what aspects of the WMPO this weekend weren't impressive?

Star players like John Rahm, Hideki Matsuyama and Justin Thomas didn't do much.  Brooks Koepka couldn't keep the ball in the fairway, Xander Schaufelle had an off day and Patrick Cantlay was mediocre.  

No players showed the craft and grit Lydia demonstrated at the Gainbridge.

9 minutes ago, KBong said:

2) Unless we adopt a Korean or Japanese culture (women's golf is more popular in these countries)....IMO....the LPGA will always be 2nd fiddle to the PGA tour 

Remember, before Se Ri Pak and Ai Miyazato, men's golf was a lot more popular than women's golf in Korea and Japan.

I takes time, but things change.

Yes....the WMPO could have been more exciting if more 'star' pros were leading or a shot or 2 off the lead....though there were quite a few 'star' players right there though...they just didn't light it up.

I will admit that the play and putting was not great on the back 9 on Sun

I watch the WMPO cause it's a gong show and unique.

I believe many green fee paying golfers who have played the course will say it's a bit 'meh'...especially when one considers the high $ green fee.

I basically record ALL my sports and watch it in FF (including the SB....later on with a friend.)

I don't like to sit around on nice afternoon to watch the boob tube.....I'm lucky...... we aren't home bound here for 4-5 months because of sever winter weather.

The men's tours in Japan and Korea aren't that great...so it wasn't as difficult for the women's game to become more popular.

The PGA tour is the best tour in the world....it's so established with a long history....I just can't see the LPGA dethroning the PGA tour.