LPGA Purses and Endorsements

18majors

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

This week's PGA Tour Genesis Invitational has a purse of $12.0 million and the upcoming The Players Championship $20.0 million; this put a lot of pressure on the Major Championship.

In 2021, Major Championships offered purses of $11.0 - 12.5 million; less than the Players' $15.0 million but in the same ball park.  This year is a different story.

I don't know what Major Championships will do; would it lose its prestige if their purses become a fraction of regular tour events?

I believe the ongoing fight between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia will provide an window of opportunity for LPGA to sneak up and be counted.

That's crazy talk..

I love LPGA, but it's not even close to PGA level in popularity..

LPGA also have to compete with PGA Tour Champions and maybe Korn Ferry Tour

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

I believe the ongoing fight between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia will provide an window of opportunity for LPGA to sneak up and be counted.

LMAO.

IMO....I think the Saudi tour never gets off the ground....many of the players who might be interested to play are older "washouts'....who are near irrelevant in the world of golf.

If the LPGA pros were to get more exposure....it would be through The Shark offering them membership to play for some OBNOXIOUS GREED.

I doubt Mollie would interfere as she's been quoted she'd like the women to play for more money and to make a good/decent living playing competitive golf.

Spiranac will be made the 1st offer.

It will be fun watching the gals play golf in burkas and knee highs.🤣

58 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Cantlay will be happy to be called “mediocre” every week if it lands him in a playoff. 

What you mean Cantlay's not interested in the PIP🤣

Ya, Cantlay is boring and I don't think he cares much how many fanboys/fangirl he has...kinda like Inbee.

I will say that Theegala is becoming a fan fav....but he needs to play well at Riviera to maintain the attention momentum.

Is Workday dropping 'Obnoxious Greed' Phil Mickelson in favor of a clean-cut Rory McIlroy:

A Q&A With Rory McIlroy: Welcoming Workday’s Newest Brand Ambassador

"We caught up with international golf superstar and our newest brand ambassador, Rory McIlroy, ahead of the Genesis Invitational. McIlroy shares what attracted him to our partnership, how he thinks about innovation, and the best advice he’s ever received."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

Is Workday dropping 'Obnoxious Greed' Phil Mickelson in favor of a clean-cut Rory McIlroy:

"We caught up with international golf superstar and our newest brand ambassador, Rory McIlroy, ahead of the Genesis Invitational. McIlroy shares what attracted him to our partnership, how he thinks about innovation, and the best advice he’s ever received."

"This on is for you Workday!"

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

EDIT...oops...the below was meant to be a response to your prior post....not the above.

I saw a headline of this NONSENSE just as I was ready to head out to play golf today.

I'll believe things when I actually see the pros playing....if indeed this tour gets off the ground.

I could see the likes of Poulter and Westwood joining the tour...as they are older wash-outs nowadays.

The positive is.... supposedly.... they will play on 1 or some?....of the Great Great Man's courses...so the venue alone will be worth watching on TV.

BTW....there are some really funny member posts on the other WRX thread about this NONSENSE.🤣

Edited by KBong

I LUV FIGJAM🤣

spacer.png

• Haha 1

WAPT, a feeder to the feeder announced a good news today:

WAPT AND PXG ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP FOR THE RACE TO STAGE II

"In 2022, PXG joins the WAPT as title sponsor for the PXG Race To Stage II. The PXG Race To Stage II will not only provide the top five (5) players exemptions directly to Stage II of LPGA Tour Qualifying, but will pay for each player’s entry fees! Additionally, the number one player will receive a $5,000 bonus check for being the WAPT Player of the Year in 2022. By sponsoring the PXG Race To Stage II, PXG continues to demonstrate their support for women’s golf. "

I'm fond of WAPT, mainly because of Yealimi Noh.  In 2019, Yealimi was a high school junior who decided to turn pro.  She'd no status and was floundering until her $7,000 win at WAPT that sent her afloat.  I'm sure WAPT is continuously providing opportunities to players like that young Yealimi.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3

The difference between Chevron and ANA as a major championship sponsor is like night and day.  Airline companies like ANA are always struggling for cash. 

I'm a reasonable size Chevron shareholder; Chevron pays $1.42 quarterly dividend to each of it's 1.93 billion outstanding shares.  Basically, one cent of quarterly payment translates into $19.3 million of cash.

By comparison, the $5.0 million purse plus other expenses is probably less than $10.0 million.  Basically, Chevron can continue to increase its purse if they choose to do so.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

Congratulations, Brittany:

Risk Strategies Announces Sponsorship of LPGA Golfer Brittany Altomare

"Headquartered in Boston and marking its 25th anniversary this year, Risk Strategies shares Massachusetts roots with Worcester native Altomare who currently resides in nearby Shrewsbury. Sponsoring a female professional golfer aligns with Risk Strategies commitment to delivering outstanding technical expertise to clients while supporting the company’s diversity and inclusion efforts."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KBong said:

Excel.

The World’s Most Valuable Sports Agencies 2020: CAA On Top, Wasserman Closes The Gap

"Coming in third is Excel Sports Management, with $3.9 billion in contracts and $191 million in commissions. Considered by many as the largest of the “boutique agencies”, Excel represents a selective client list of some of the world’s top athletes, ranking No. 2 in both basketball and baseball, and No. 1 in golf."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, we all know what happened... 

spacer.png

LMAO

To be honest....I can't recall if I nicknamed IMG...The Death Star...heck I would not be surprised if I picked it up from @fanofseri

IMO....fanofseri is a HOF forum contributor....I'm disappointed he's being a Pink Shirt and doesn't post here.

I give him credit for "FAKE Korean"....I think he called GIMMEE that years ago...LMAO....so I started using his FAKE stuff too.

He's a great guy....if you get to south LA...you should meet up with him and play some GOAT TRACKS he plays at .....and end the day at the Blue Dolphin drinking some CHEAP and warm beer from a dirty glass....you need a change from your craft beer diet.🤣

• Like 1

The World’s Most Valuable Sports Agencies 2020: CAA On Top, Wasserman Closes The Gap

"Coming in third is Excel Sports Management, with $3.9 billion in contracts and $191 million in commissions. Considered by many as the largest of the “boutique agencies”, Excel represents a selective client list of some of the world’s top athletes, ranking No. 2 in both basketball and baseball, and No. 1 in golf."

The Zhangster better sign any endorsements soon.

If she CHOKES again at the ANWA like she did in 2021...her "stock" will TANK....she'll be lucky to get a cheeseburger & a Coke on a 2022 ANWA GAG performance.

Talk about CHOKE/GAG = Shiffrin

P**** told a certain 15 yr old to 'airmail' it once the ROC secured a gold & silver.🤣

I suspect a Zhangster Cally brand ambassador announcement soon.

6 hours ago, KBong said:

IMO...The Zhangster made a poor decision signing up with Excel.

You know who I always recommend🤣

spacer.png

first thing that came to mind: TINA...

then i read the posts thereafter and figured it out... so confused already... TINA OR IMG, seems like you're "torn between 2 lovers", feeling like ....

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, KBong said:

LMAO

To be honest....I can't recall if I nicknamed IMG...The Death Star...heck I would not be surprised if I picked it up from @fanofseri

IMO....fanofseri is a HOF forum contributor....I'm disappointed he's being a Pink Shirt and doesn't post here.

I give him credit for "FAKE Korean"....I think he called GIMMEE that years ago...LMAO....so I started using his FAKE stuff too.

He's a great guy....if you get to south LA...you should meet up with him and play some GOAT TRACKS he plays at .....and end the day at the Blue Dolphin drinking some CHEAP and warm beer from a dirty glass....you need a change from your craft beer diet.🤣

As long as its not the Blue Oyster......

• Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Pretty happy that Hee Jeong Lim has signed up to play the Chevron Championship.  Like Jin Young Ko and many other Korean golfers, Hee Jeong has been training in California all winter.

It should be interesting to see how Hee Jeong stacks up against Atthaya Thitikul, Yuka Saso and Patty Tavatanakit.

273627228_4102320163203864_6979937196800134017_n.jpg.b0c60e8d1d2f519962f48c8589c527d6.jpg

Her battle with Jin Young Ko in Korea last year

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 4

Will RBC sponsor a $3.5 million LPGA tournament?

IMO...no.

RBC is heavily invested in 2 PGA tour events and also with many PGA pro golfer endorsements.

I'm not even sure RBC would anti up if CP bailed on the CWO.

And with Covid golf demand....I doubt any of the premier Cdn privates would entertain a 2nd LPGA event in addition to the CWO.

Ask Mollie if she's in talks with RBC

Maybe if the REAL Dumbo joins the Bone Saw tour then that could free up some money.🤣

Oh boy...where do I sign up to listen to Mrs. Fishhead and Giggles Beth Ann.

• Like 1

It used to be Asians and Asian descents are good at women's golf, but nondescript in men's golf; not anymore.  Three of the Top-10 in men's golf are either Asians or Asian descents:

2.    Collin Morikawa

7.     Xander Schauffele

10.   Hideki Matsuyama

Of course it's a far cry from women's golf where eight of the Top-10 are either Asians or Asian descents.

What're the secrets?  It can't be physical or techniques.  It may be mental, the mental discipline of training and stay the course during the tournaments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

It used to be Asians and Asian descents are good at women's golf, but nondescript in men's golf; not anymore.  Three of the Top-10 in men's golf are either Asians or Asian descents:

2.    Collin Morikawa

7.     Xander Schauffele

10.   Hideki Matsuyama

Of course it's a far cry from women's golf where eight of the Top-10 are either Asians or Asian descents.

What're the secrets?  It can't be physical or techniques.  It may be mental, the mental discipline of training and stay the course during the tournaments.

Hideki is an "anomaly" truth be told -- he has been in the top 10 (heck #2 in the world rankings at one point -- 2016/2017 period).  Then a combination of a) loss of confidence losing to JT in the PGA Championship in 2017, b) wrist injury and withdrawing at the WM Open where he was actually going for a three-peat, etc etc... Hideki clearly has slowly gotten his game back together since the start of 2021 - just prior to the Masters and then everything else opened up for him.  Having a new coach helped, to say the least -- Yui Kawamoto's former coach to be exact...

But, as I said, Hideki does not "fit" the norm of the Japanese golfer -- his physique is certainly different from the average Japanese (maybe too much Sake helped LOL).   That's one "anomaly" amongst others.  What Hideki has over "others" is his dogged determination to perfect his "craft" -- aka stories of long practice sessions amongst the tour golfers themselves...  

I think these 3 are more an exception at this point.  Just more a coincidence rather than a trend for the foreseeable future.   Unlike the LPGA, I don't see a lot in the pipeline amongst PGA for Asia that make it as deep...  (relative to the LPGA pipeline).  Yes, Takumi Kanaya, Keita Nakajima etc have potential, along with the "odd" Min Woo Lee already a pro -- but it'll be slow climb.  Joaquim Neimann is a perfect example of how deep the PGA is -- Latin American Amateur Champ -- eg.  it's really much more competitive it seems in the PGA... (at least that's how I see it) -- so I think it'll take longer for "Asian/Asian descent" to go up the ranks... What continues to befuddle me is: why are the Asian pros usually good at ball striking and poor in putting?  So many of them: Sung Jae, Collin, Hideki, etc...  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Joaquim Neimann is a perfect example of how deep the PGA is -- Latin American Amateur Champ -- eg.  it's really much more competitive it seems in the PGA... (at least that's how I see it) -- so I think it'll take longer for "Asian/Asian descent" to go up the ranks...

Sheer numbers.  There is such a large number of male professionals/aspiring professionals compared to the women.  I've not seen any data on it, but my thought is that there is probably 3-5 males trying to reach the PGA to every female trying to make it as a professional on the LPGA/JLPGA/LET/KLPGA.  

It's just anecdotal on my part but that seems to be what is occuring.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

So many of them: Sung Jae, Collin, Hideki, etc...  

For your information, 2021-2022 Strokes Gained Putting:

#151                                   Hideki Matsuyama                                  -0.191

#55                                    Sangjae Im                                                0.289

#4                                      Collin Morikawa                                        0.927

You're right, men's Asian influences are still ripples rather than tides even if we include Sangjae Im, Kevin Na, Siwoo Kim, Min Woo Lee and Takumi Kanaya.  But, it's come a long way.

Gone are days when Ryo Ishikawa was a bright Japanese hope!