2023 Golf Trip Advice

59 minutes ago, sabram said:

I've done all of those trips except Portugal and "Scotland North", which I am doing in June 2022 (12 courses)

If you do the DR and are commuting to Casa de Campo from Punta Cana, make sure to play Punta Espada in Punta Cana. Corales is also good, but  my fave in DR is Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo. Play it twice.

Your Northwest Scotland trip is one of my all time faves. Rosses Point is one of the most under rated courses I've played. If you can extend the trip a day or two (or three) head up to Donnegal and play Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island (both can be played the same day), Rosapenna (three courses, including the brand new Doak called St Patricks), and Portsalon.

I’ve been to Casa many times, but have not played any of the Punta Cana courses. When I lived in FL there was a direct flight from MIA into La Romana every Thursday and Sunday. Spent many long weekends at Casa. 
     Will def have to look at adding some of those courses to the Ireland option. Right now, many of the guys are really interested in the Portugal option. So we will have to see how it works out.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, sabram said:

I've done them all and by far the best trips have been to Scotland. I'm doing my fourth Scotland golf  trip in June 2022, postponed for two years due to the pandemic.

You should start by applying for a tee time on the Old Course on the first day they open up their booking calendar in August 2022 for the full calendar year of 2023. Here are the instructions from TOC website:

Start the process by applying directly to the St. Andrews Links Trust. Contact them by phone (011-44-1334-466718) or e-mail (reservations@standrews.com) during a two- to three-week window that begins each year in late August and ends in mid-September. The tee times are allocated lottery-style, and winners are notified in early to mid-October. Note that some months have severe availability restrictions, and reservations are for Monday through Friday only. You can book up to two foursomes, or as few as two players. There are limited advanced times for single players as well. Prepare to give the Links Trust the other names in your group, their handicaps and home clubs as well as a second course to play at St. Andrews. If you’re lucky enough to grab an Old Course time you’ll be required to pay for a second round at another Links Trust course, such as the New, Eden, Jubilee, Strathtyrum or Castle. 

If you don't get an Old Course tee time as a result of an August application, you can re-apply later when they  sell the tee times that weren't paid for or cancelled.  However, even if you don't get a tee time, I'd still make Scotland my first choice. If you stay in St Andrews you can enter the daily ballot and will have a good chance of getting an Old Course tee time that way. If you don't there are still so many amazing courses to play in Fife or in nearby Angus or East Lothian.

In Fife, besides the seven St Andrews Links Trust courses, you can choose from Kingbarns, Crail, Elie, Lundin and Leven

In Angus& Dundee you have Carnoustie, Panmure, Montrose and Monifieth

In East Lothian you have Muirfield, North Berwick, three courses at Gullane, Dunbar, Luffness and Kilspindie. If you want to play Muirfield (which is expensive) you need to go to their website and make a reservation about a year in advance.

That's 25 world class links to choose from at a wide range of prices. I book almost all my trips myself. It's a lot of fun and a lot less expensive than using a service. 

Here's a possible itinerary: Stay 3 nights in North Berwick and 3 nights in St Andrews. There are several gtreat B&Bs in North Berwick

Day 1 - Gullane day ticket, play Gullane #1 and #2

Day 2 - Muirfield

Day 3 - North Berwick West Links & Dunbar

Day 4 - Lundin & Leven or Crail Balcomie & Elie or Kingsbarns

Day 5 - Carnoustie

Day 6 St Andrews Old & New

You'll need to adjust the days based on which day (or whether) you get an Old Course tee time, and adjust which courses and the number of  courses based on your budget.

DON'T SKIP SCOTLAND BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU GET ON THE OLD COURSE. IT WILL BE A TRIP OF A LIFETIME WITH OR WITHOUT TOC

VERY good advice.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, hammergolf said:

I’ve been to Casa many times, but have not played any of the Punta Cana courses. When I lived in FL there was a direct flight from MIA into La Romana every Thursday and Sunday. Spent many long weekends at Casa. 

You must play the Punta Cana courses. Punta Espada and Corales are spectacular!

• Like 1

Sorry to jump in, me and my mates from the UK have been saving for our trip to pebble beach in early November for 4 years. We are buzzing! Itinerary is land on Monday, play Harding park Tuesday, Spanish bay Wednesday, spyglass Thursday, then pebble beach Friday. We are maybe going to have a rest day on the Saturday. And we’re looking for a good round on the Sunday. Looking at reviews people are saying a few different courses, poppy hills, bayonet or black horse etc. Seems this is a trip of a lifetime, what would you pick as a must?

You mentioned a couple of your guys would really struggle at a course like Whistling Straights. If that’s a concern they may have quite a bit of trouble with traditional links courses in Scotland/Ireland as well. yea, courses vary, but many are filled with dense heather and deep pot bunkers. 

One fantastic thing about Sand Valley is how playable the courses are. Just flat out fun. Playable by the high handicappers but challenging enough for the scratch guys too. You will just hear more about it as it continues to age. Putting course and short course are great additions. 

On 10/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, Brettwill1980 said:

Sorry to jump in, me and my mates from the UK have been saving for our trip to pebble beach in early November for 4 years. We are buzzing! Itinerary is land on Monday, play Harding park Tuesday, Spanish bay Wednesday, spyglass Thursday, then pebble beach Friday. We are maybe going to have a rest day on the Saturday. And we’re looking for a good round on the Sunday. Looking at reviews people are saying a few different courses, poppy hills, bayonet or black horse etc. Seems this is a trip of a lifetime, what would you pick as a must?

Definitely do not miss Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz on your drive down from SF or drive back up. It’s an Alister Mackenzie gem that is in my top 5 worldwide.  If for some reason you can’t make it, (it’s literally 2 mins off the freeway) my next pick would be Bayonet but it’s not in the same class as Pasa…..

https://www.pasatiempo.com/

Edited by hammergolf

You've received a ton of advice, and I might be alone in my thinking, but I'd pay the extra $1200 and go to Scotland for $4900 before I'd pay $4700 for Pebble. 

That said, I'd do something like @hammergolf is doing and save yourself some cash. In fact, I'm trying to put together a trip very similar to what he posted, but having a hard time getting some solid commitments. I'd like to do 4 couples and send the wives to Inverness for a couple days. 

• Like 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

16 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

You mentioned a couple of your guys would really struggle at a course like Whistling Straights. If that’s a concern they may have quite a bit of trouble with traditional links courses in Scotland/Ireland as well. yea, courses vary, but many are filled with dense heather and deep pot bunkers. 

One fantastic thing about Sand Valley is how playable the courses are. Just flat out fun. Playable by the high handicappers but challenging enough for the scratch guys too. You will just hear more about it as it continues to age. Putting course and short course are great additions. 

Good point. When I say a "couple" I really mean one guy in particular. All four of us are capable of shooting in the 70s, but the fourth guy typically hovers around 84-85ish. I've heard from numerous people that St Andrews - Old is easy to get around and that Carnoustie can be tough. I've actually played Straits and just knowing his game, I think he would struggle on that more so than a St Andrews. 

On top of that, I think the experience of going to Scotland trumps playing somewhere in the states other than Pebble.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, caeye0710 said:

the fourth guy typically hovers around 84-85ish. I've heard from numerous people that St Andrews - Old is easy to get around and that Carnoustie can be tough. I've actually played Straits and just knowing his game, I think he would struggle on that more so than a St Andrews. 

On top of that, I think the experience of going to Scotland trumps playing somewhere in the states other than Pebble.

A guy who can shoot in the mid-80's will do just fine on any course in the UK. He just shouldn't expect to score that well on some of the more difficult courses (like Carnoustie), but he will still have a blast.  My experience on  trips to Scotland have trumped my domestic trips (even Pebble). Dont' avoid Scotland because of an 80's shooter. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 7:03 AM, caeye0710 said:

Good point. When I say a "couple" I really mean one guy in particular. All four of us are capable of shooting in the 70s, but the fourth guy typically hovers around 84-85ish. I've heard from numerous people that St Andrews - Old is easy to get around and that Carnoustie can be tough. I've actually played Straits and just knowing his game, I think he would struggle on that more so than a St Andrews. 

Good points.  The Old Course is a very easy walk, much easier than WS.  Also a much easier course to play.  But MUCH more difficult to get on due to their ridiculous tee time reservation process.  Carnoustie is much more difficult than The Old Course.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, caeye0710 said:

Alright, fellas & ladies. Need some help. 

Amongst our normal golf grip, two of us have our second kiddos due in March of 2022, the other is getting married in May of 2022, and the fourth guy is still living the dream being single and playing golf every weekend. 

Looks like due to the events mentioned above we will be cancelling our Spring golf trip (usually Pinehurst where I live) and postponing until 2023. We've never done a MAJOR golf trip before, and decided that May of 2023 will be the time to do it considering it gives us the opportunity to give our wives plenty of notice. 

We've kicked a few ideas around, and wanted to get your opinions on the three (and possibly some other options we may not be considering). 

Scotland - $3,700 not including flights

- One week staying in St Andrews and right now we are quoted for Carnoustie, Crail - Balcomie, and currently have the Old Course included

This would be my #1 pick, but the one thing I'm not keen on is that the Old Course isn't 100% guaranteed unless we pay a $1,200 premium. We could try and go through advanced ticketing application or the ballot when we get there, but it seems like it would be a shame to go all the way to Scotland and not get to play at the "Home of Golf", even despite that we would definitely get out on Carnoustie. 

Pebble Beach - $4,700 not including flights

- The only thing about this trip is that it's only four nights total staying at Pebble. It would include Pebble, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass. We could potentially try and drive down and either play Pasa Tiempo or Harding Park as well. I would love the experience, but seems like a lot of money for 4 total days. 

TPC Danzante Bay (Mexico) - $3,000 all-inclusive and unlimited golf

- This one sort of piques our interest. Can't remember how I even found out about this place, but essentially is an all-inclusive resort on the coast with a championship 18-hole golf resort. The pricing includes meals, drinks, and unlimited golf with a 4-bedroom villa. The only thing that I'm slightly hesitant on is playing the same course for a week straight, and whether or not we'd get bored eventually. 

I appreciate the advice in advance. Thanks!

C

I would say Scotland, but plan the trip yourself.  It is easy to book your courses other than the Old Course (which if this is a must have then so be it, but you could always try to join as singles one day).  I am heading over in April.  Playing TOC, Jubilee, Castle, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Western Gailes, Turnberry over 9 days.  This is all under $2,200 including lodging and rental car.  I had some flight points so all in I am under $2,500.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bbo569 said:

I would say Scotland, but plan the trip yourself.  It is easy to book your courses other than the Old Course (which if this is a must have then so be it, but you could always try to join as singles one day).  I am heading over in April.  Playing TOC, Jubilee, Castle, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Western Gailes, Turnberry over 9 days.  This is all under $2,200 including lodging and rental car.  I had some flight points so all in I am under $2,500.

did you book your rounds as a single? planned the entire trip on your own too? How far out did you book everything? That’s a steal of total price for that trip I feel like. 

Edited by Miker20890

20 hours ago, Bbo569 said:

Are you staying in a tent and eating at a homeless shelter?  Nine days in an average quality hotel will cost more than $2200.

6 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Are you staying in a tent and eating at a homeless shelter?  Nine days in an average quality hotel will cost more than $2200.

You can stay in B&Bs or rent a house for much less than what a hotel would cost. I just got back from 8 days in Ireland and we paid $2800 per person including flights, house, rental van, green fees, and gas.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, doctorgriffo said:

Have you thought of Ireland? Some incredible courses all over the country, and pretty easy to get to a range of options. Great pubs, too. 

Yeah I'm puzzled as to why Ireland isnt even getting a mention as a possibility. Going in May and can't wait. Although I guess if St. Andrews wasnt such a hassle to get on I may have done a Scotland trip first.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, doctorgriffo said:

one of the scariest shots in golf is a wedge into 17 at Del Monte, because if you catch it thin you might kill someone on the Hyatt bar patio that is less than 10 yards off the green). 

HAH! Yeah that shot scares me too. I'm surprised I've never skulled one--being nervous with people watching, AND me worried  about launching one into somebody's teeth!

I’m going to throw one out there.

BEND, OR

Not sure of the flight cost but stay a couple nights at Sunriver in a stay and play package and then 2 nights at Brasada in a stay and play package. Sunriver will run you about $159 (roughly) per person per night for all you can golf. You will most likely be in a 1 bedroom townhouse with a loft. This gets you on Crosswater and is an easy drive into Bend. Tetherow is an option to play just to say you’ve played it. Then do a stay and play at Brasada. Split up some golf between Brasada and Pronghorn (15 minutes but right down the road.) 

19 hours ago, mallrat said:

BEND, OR

Not sure of the flight cost but stay a couple nights at Sunriver in a stay and play package and then 2 nights at Brasada in a stay and play package. Sunriver will run you about $159 (roughly) per person per night for all you can golf. You will most likely be in a 1 bedroom townhouse with a loft. This gets you on Crosswater and is an easy drive into Bend. Tetherow is an option to play just to say you’ve played it. Then do a stay and play at Brasada. Split up some golf between Brasada and Pronghorn (15 minutes but right down the road.) 

We did Bend last month.  We stayed seven nights in two Tetherow houses.  It was wonderful, except we hated the Tetherow golf course.  We got on Crosswater, Brasada, and Pronghorn private with no problem.  It was a wonderful golf trip.  Just don't go after mid September as it starts getting cold.

20 hours ago, mallrat said:

BEND, OR

Yeah some beautiful courses, great breweries, and throw in some river rafting...Bend is a blast

5 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

We did Bend last month.  We stayed seven nights in two Tetherow houses.  It was wonderful, except we hated the Tetherow golf course.  We got on Crosswater, Brasada, and Pronghorn private with no problem.  It was a wonderful golf trip.  Just don't go after mid September as it starts getting cold.

Those houses are amazing and a good deal. I love the course layout but HATE the greens. 

Definitely a late spring, summer trip b

15 hours ago, mallrat said:

Honestly such an underrated golf destination. Bandon just completely overshadows everything out here. 

I would agree about Bandon domestically, it is great. However given the choice I would choose Scotland or Ireland over Bandon. 

Edited by hammergolf

On 10/29/2021 at 11:52 AM, Miker20890 said:

did you book your rounds as a single? planned the entire trip on your own too? How far out did you book everything? That’s a steal of total price for that trip I feel like. 

I booked it for a foursome.  If you get the lottery for TOC then everything falls into place pretty easily.  But that is just TOC, everything else is as easy to book as going the courses website and using their online tee sheet or sending an email to the club.  I booked everything in October for an April trip as October is when St Andrews announces their lottery choice.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, Golferpaul said:

Not doing a hotel room.  Staying in an airbnb a couple of blocks from TOC.  Link below for the one I chose.  We are staying here for the majority of our trip and then staying in a modest AirBNB in Ayre when we go to the other side of the country.  Sorry you don't know how to book anything other than a hotel or a old school bed and breakfast.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/19589123?source_impression_id=p3_1635766498_95%2FCjqRGnQ4uvaPz

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bbo569 said:

Not doing a hotel room.  Staying in an airbnb a couple of blocks from TOC.  Link below for the one I chose.  We are staying here for the majority of our trip and then staying in a modest AirBNB in Ayre when we go to the other side of the country.  Sorry you don't know how to book anything other than a hotel or a old school bed and breakfast.

Why do you think that?  I do two or three golf trips every year and most of the time we rent houses from VRBO or airbnb.  I also rent houses on our other trips.  I have rented seven houses already this year and will rent two more in Hawaii in two weeks.  I've rented houses all over the world including Mexico, Canada, Portugal, Dominican Republic, South Africa, etc.

But we don't stay in low end houses and we never share bedrooms or bathrooms.  They guys I travel with have more money than time to live and spend it.  That's what happens when you get old.

15 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Why do you think that?  I do two or three golf trips every year and most of the time we rent houses from VRBO or airbnb.  I also rent houses on our other trips.  I have rented seven houses already this year and will rent two more in Hawaii in two weeks.  I've rented houses all over the world including Mexico, Canada, Portugal, Dominican Republic, South Africa, etc.

But we don't stay in low end houses and we never share bedrooms or bathrooms.  They guys I travel with have more money than time to live and spend it.  That's what happens when you get old.

My point is you said it couldn't be done at that price.  No one cares that you only stay at mansions and eat caviar the whole trip.  There are other options out there for the rest of us.

17 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Damn you people, go back to your shanties! 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, Bbo569 said:

My point is you said it couldn't be done at that price.  No one cares that you only stay at mansions and eat caviar the whole trip.  There are other options out there for the rest of us.

"Mansions and caviar"?    In your dreams.  Yes, there are other options.  There are millions of us who prefer to be comfortable when we travel.  It has nothing to do with caviar.  

BTW, I never said "it couldn't be done at that price"

3 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

"Mansions and caviar"?    In your dreams.  Yes, there are other options.  There are millions of us who prefer to be comfortable when we travel.  It has nothing to do with caviar.  

BTW, I never said "it couldn't be done at that price"

You asked if he was staying in a tent and eating at a homeless shelter……

We just stayed at this house in Ireland for $51 each per night

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32959781?adults=8&translate_ugc=false&federated_search_id=66150c67-573c-4d29-ba9f-f6943e96e6e2&source_impression_id=p3_1635998590_PImr3fL6Yi7C9hdW&guests=1

We stayed here in St. Andrews 300yds from #1 at The Old Course for $63 each per night

https://www.airbnb.com/trips/v1/1cf6df2f-290e-4429-ae20-61727160a6db/ro/RESERVATION2_CHECKIN/HMQJCSFRMK/g?tab=past

There are very reasonable places to rent well under $200 per night.

• Like 1