2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How many Buffaloes do you give the park?

Reminds me of when I did all of Manhattan in a day with a couple of friends. Fifth Avenue, St Patrick's Cathedral, Tiffany's, Central Park, a Russian restaurant for lunch, Metropolitan Museum of Art, some other stuff and then to the top deck of the empire State Building after dark.

I'd say 8 bison.

Yeah. I did the same thing in Manhattan. It was quite the whirlwind day.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 hours ago, rooski said:

Do you already have plans on which courses you're hitting in Oregon? If the timing worked out I'd love to join you for a round and be part of this thread! Union Creek is fairly close to my abode but not much in the realm of golf around there afaik, beautiful landscape though that's for sure

This is my tentative schedule:

Portland: Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek), Brasada Ranch (Brasada Canyons), Langdon Farms, Wildwood, Elk Ridge, Camas Meadows, The Reserve

Eugene: Tokatee

Bend: Pronghorn, Crosswater, Tetherow, Aspen Lakes 

Seneca:  Silvies Valley Ranch (Craddock)

Union Creek: TBD

Bandon: Sheep Ranch, Pacific Dunes, Old Mac

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Portland: Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek), Brasada Ranch (Brasada Canyons), Langdon Farms, Wildwood, Elk Ridge, Camas Meadows, The Reserve

That's a good list of courses!  Only a couple of courses I have played that are not on this list are Running Y, Sandpines(now Florence Golf Links and Shalishan..  You got it covered.....

• Thanks 1

Very pleasant morning, but oh was I dragging my behind. Cool temps and mostly cloudy skies. Plenty of blue up there, but there was one big cloud that kept blocking the sun. I got to bed an hour late last night, and had to get up a half hour early today for the hour drive to big Sky, after nearly 9 hours in the Honda yesterday at YNP, and an hour this morning, my back was in no mood for anything. Lol. It's was nice to be the first group out on the open course, and after my two playing partners told me to play ahead at the turn while they grabbed a drink and a bite to eat I had the place to myself. 

Anyway, Big Sky Resort GC today. Meh. If I didn't read that Arnold Palmer designed it on their website I'd never had known. It's certainly no Teton Pines. The alpine prairie style layout is dead flat other than the 1st teebox. Mounding was minimal. Plenty of native areas, but unlike Arnold it only had water in play on 3 holes. Fairway bunkering was very light. Greenside was a little better. Two doglegs and five gentle sweepers didn't quite mix it up enough. The surrounding housing wasn't an eyesore, but it didn't help. The views of the mountains were nice, but after a dozen flat alpine prairie courses in the past few weeks the views I'll gladly trade the views for a better course design. 

Very easy off the tee with generous fairways and light bunkering. Prototype resort layout. Minor misses would catch the generous rough. Big misses might find an adjacent fairway on many holes, but would likely be lost in the tall grass. Approaches were a little tougher prima because the greens were firm. Landed a few shots on the front part of the green, and had them bound to the back. A handful of holes did have bunkers in front that added some trouble. Greens were enjoyable with gentle contouring and tiering, but plenty of slope. The slope would have been brutal on many holes if the greens speeds weren't so slow. Putting required a bit of work. Up and downs from in front of the green were pretty easy for the most part, as most greens were flush with the fairways. Otherwise they could be somewhat tricky. 

Par 3s were benign. Little danger and missing a short one. 5s were no better. The 11th was reachable, but zero risk. The other 3 were snoozers. The three short 4s were meh. 

Conditions were decent, but there were a few warts. Too many teeboxes were crowned and needed leveling. Fairways had a few iffy spots. Rough was very good. Bunkers were sandy and in the process of being groomed. Greens looked and rolled smooth, but speed was no more than 8. 

Played the Gold tees at 6334 yds (69.6/129). With an uncooperative back, drives weren't doing much. No real trouble, though. Irons were decent, but the short game was the star today. Three bogies. Highlight was getting up and down six times, including four in a row that included a sweet 50 yd pitch to a foot from the cup. 

Only 4 cows here. Maybe I've had my fill of alpine courses, but there's nothing to get excited about here. Playable, but it'll put you to sleep. Course needs to be bulldozed and started over. No walking rate, and the $153 weekend rate was a joke. $75 to maybe $100 would be more like it. I've certainly played hundreds of better courses for $50. Picking nits here, but if you're (thankfully) going to allow walking, how about cutting walking paths between the teeboxes and the fairways so walkers don't have to pick up ticks walking in knee deep native areas? If you're in the area, it's really the only option. However, it's not worth an hour drive from Yellowstone or Bozeman. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Big Sky Resort GC, Big Sky, MT 

Best looking hole on the layout, #1 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/c8tfjc8ctwn9o1paf4nv2/ALuwkjafvJG84wnP75P9OTg?rlkey=524ql3og3cxf9owy69if4hhqo&dl=0

• Like 4

9 hours ago, postfold said:

Lemme guess, needs more bunkering.

Lol. Mud volcanos and sulphur pits would be quite the hazard. 

On 6/26/2024 at 8:23 PM, FirstFlight said:

@spud3 ...and there it is...I'll probably be humming that for a week now!!

Can't remember seeing any skunk pics in the wildlife photos thread... 🤔 

Brings me back to a memory of a late afternoon round, where we couldn't finish the last 3 holes. We were riding the cart back to the barn and all of a sudden the biggest skunk we'd ever seen cuts across our path at the last second. All I could do was swerve left and just miss him...well, my passenger was practically in my lap not wanting to be inches from a direct hit! We still giggle about this from time to time. Cheers,

Posted this back in mid February. Industry Hills Eisenhower GC in City of Industry, CA 

spacer.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Just a few comments on the Oregon Leg:

- Brasada is not anywhere near Portland; that would need to be part of the Bend course lineup.

- Wildwood is nothing spectacular; consider Heron Lakes Great Blue (RTJ Jr.) if it hasn't been raining too much, or play both Great Blue and Greenback (also RTJ Jr) for a nice 36 hole day.

- Camas Meadow has a lot of housing close by and is not really walkable, due to great distances between some holes.

- Silvie's Ranch is far, far away from any of the other courses (or any civilization, TBH).  Some alternatives would be one of the Sunriver courses, Quail Run in La Pine, or Glaze Meadow at Black Butte Ranch (and that one is preferable to Aspen Lakes).

- There are no golf courses anywhere near Union Creek, though Beckie's Cafe has legendary huckleberry pie.  In fact, there is nothing in Union Creek except Beckie's Cafe and a little convenience store.

Not sure which way you'll be coming in from, but a suggested routing would be:

1. Portland courses

2. Bend courses 

3. Day trip to Silvie's from Bend (or an alternative above, all much closer to Bend)

4. Tokatee on the way to

5. Bandon

There's a lot of mileage on two-lane roads through desert and mountains any way you go, but it's an epic tour of most of the best public golf in Oregon.  PM for more info.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

6 hours ago, spud3 said:

Just a few comments on the Oregon Leg:

- Brasada is not anywhere near Portland; that would need to be part of the Bend course lineup.

- Wildwood is nothing spectacular; consider Heron Lakes Great Blue (RTJ Jr.) if it hasn't been raining too much, or play both Great Blue and Greenback (also RTJ Jr) for a nice 36 hole day.

- Camas Meadow has a lot of housing close by and is not really walkable, due to great distances between some holes.

- Silvie's Ranch is far, far away from any of the other courses (or any civilization, TBH).  Some alternatives would be one of the Sunriver courses, Quail Run in La Pine, or Glaze Meadow at Black Butte Ranch (and that one is preferable to Aspen Lakes).

- There are no golf courses anywhere near Union Creek, though Beckie's Cafe has legendary huckleberry pie.  In fact, there is nothing in Union Creek except Beckie's Cafe and a little convenience store.

Not sure which way you'll be coming in from, but a suggested routing would be:

1. Portland courses

2. Bend courses 

3. Day trip to Silvie's from Bend (or an alternative above, all much closer to Bend)

4. Tokatee on the way to

5. Bandon

There's a lot of mileage on two-lane roads through desert and mountains any way you go, but it's an epic tour of most of the best public golf in Oregon.  PM for more info.

Thanks for the info. 'Probably going to stay in Klamath Falls when visiting Crater Lake.

Routing is very tough. No matter how I order the cities, it's a lot of driving.

• Like 1

Scenic, but frustrating drive to Bozeman today. First hour was retracing my drive from yesterday on US-191 to Big Sky through the river valley. Very scenic. Further north it becomes more of a canyon with exposed rocks. The frustration was sitting in a 45 minute backup due to construction just north of Big Sky. They had the US highway down to one lane for a 4 mile stretch with a traffic light controlling the flow. While sitting 10 vehicles back from the light we sat through two cycles. No idea why we didn't get a green light, but after 10 minutes of nothing the southbound traffic rolled by for a second time. Might have used the time productively, but there was zero cell signal in that area. The rafters on the Gallatin River looked like they were having fun. They were sure moving quicker than the traffic. 

spacer.png

The RV park is located 5 miles east of Bozeman. Tight, and tree lined, uneven gravel spots. Luckily I'm facing south, so the trees aren't blocking the satellites. 

spacer.png

Booked an RV park halfway between Spokane and Coeur d'Alene for mid-July. It's a little further outside of Spokane that I'd like, but there's not many RV parks in the town. 

Going to drive into town for a brew and grocery shopping. Victor, and West Yellowstone didn't have much in the way of supermarkets. 

• Like 2

A nice high octane brew helps sooth the nerves after a long drive. Lol. Mountains Walking Brewery in Bozeman. 25 taps, but only 17 with liquid flowing, and five of those are seltzers. Wha? Their Dessert Cart Barrel Aged French Toast imperial stout is tasty, but very sweet. My blood sugar is spiking. One cow off for having a very long beer name. Lol. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevopagolf said:

If you go to Klamath be sure to play Running Y.....

Another +1 for Running Y if you stay in Klamath Falls. I figure it'd likely be a strong 6 cows, perhaps a 7.

Too bad you won't be passing through Medford/Grants Pass area. Not that it's necessarily worth it for your trip, but I would kill for an Arg cow rating of my home course

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Wonderful morning. After several days of extended driving, it was nice to play a course 10 minutes away. Wasn't much of a course, but my two playing partners were a blast. Cool and cloudy. The sun was forecast to come out mid round, but stayed hidden behind the clouds. Bridger Creek today. Designed by MacGregor Hunter. Another meh parkland/prairie style layout. The course is divided by a road. The four prairie style holes on the north side have decent elevation change. The remainder are dead flat. Homes lined a handful of holes. Fairway bunkering was extremely light. Greenside was better. Bridger Creek runs through the property and comes into play on several holes. Toss in a couple of small ponds and you have water in play on 9 holes. Six holes with left/right movement, including two full doglegs. 

Very easy off the tee with wide fairways and light bunkering. The dogleg 16th was the exception with a pond on the inside corner and a good chance of running through the fairway. Minor misses would catch the generous rough. Big misses could get lucky on a few holes and find an adjacent fairway, but would otherwise be wet or OB. Approaches were a little tougher with smallish greens that were moderately defended. Greens were quite nice with a good amount of tiering, contouring, and slope. Putting required due diligence. Up and downs were mixed. Most short misses were easy chips. Misses pin high were tough out of the thick rough. 

The five par 3s were snoozers. At least the 15th had a pond in play. Good mix of lengths. Par 5s were no better. Nothing reachable and little danger. No short 4s. 

Conditions were very good. Fairways had a couple of iffy patches, but were otherwise lush. Rough was thick, and in the process of being cut. Bunkers had just enough sand, but could use another half inch. Greens rolled nicely, but the early morning dew had them rolling no more than 9. However, the moisture eventually burned off and 10 was the number. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6375 yds on the par 71 layout (69.3/124). Solid day ballstriking, and a hot putter late in the round made for a fun day. Three birdies and five bogies. Highlight was chipping in out of the rough from 33' on the 14th for birdie. The pace of play also put a smile on my face, along with my two local playing partners. Meh course, but a fun morning. 

Going to be nice and go with (a low) 4 cows. Conditioning was very good. Views were decent. Greens had character. Otherwise it was boring with little trouble and few memorable holes. The $56 walking rate didn't break the bank, but was still overpriced. Easily skipped. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Bridger Creek GC, Bozeman, MT 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lol. Not a good par 3 if you draw the ball. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qvox1euem1da7g9oxwauf/AEJnk7BEbP0LXOaM7EIev_w?rlkey=iscz6fxc824k7a4ryq6tx2p5f&dl=0

SHINE Beer Sanctuary. 30 taps with a surprising mix, but wow, the prices. I buy a four pack of 12 ounce bottles of Founders KBS imperial coffee stout for $16. Not going to drop $18 on a 13 ounce pour. Enjoying a very tasty, but rare, Duvel Belgian Golden Strong Ale. Bonus for the clever flashlight tap handles. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1