2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Srixon zx5 vs mizuno 225/223

boycer

• 4 weeks later...

today, actually, during an iron fitting. 

currently playing Mizzy 919 Forged, for context. taking weekly lessons and currently a 12.1 hcp

first things first, there are no wrong answers with any of these (223, 225, or zx5). it's simply a matter of maximizing the choice

next, 223 v 225. 
based on everything both missy and other reviewers have shared, I was fully expecting 225 to be easier and more forgiving to hit. perhaps, but that was NOT my experience. 223 over 225 by a long shot. admittedly I do have a somewhat I-O swing path (around 4.4-5.0 but working on that 🙂) but I found the thicker sole tough with turf interaction than the slightly thinner 223s. feel-wise, 223 being a 'blended' set (forged chromoly in long irons, GFF in shorter) felt better top to bottom of set than 225s. could be psychological, but...doesnt make it not true!

so that leaves us 223 v. zx5.

being a mid-hcp, I am going to have a wide range of strikes. some thin, some fat, some pulled, some hooked, some pured. I count all of those because that is my reality on the course. 

average 'good' strikes: boy, nearly identical. backspin, sidespin, distance, launch angle all close enough to say they are the same.

best strikes: mizzy. feel is subjective, but my perfect shots with 223 felt more pure than zx5. that isn't a knock against srix by any stretch. but I will say that I think the srix may be TOO long on pured strikes. I don't really want to be hitting 7irons 190+ and that was happening. mizzy stayed right around 180-185 which is upper end of what I would want from a bag gapping standpoint. I play a little baby draw on my best shots, and the mizzy allowed that mores than the srix which didn't quite turn over as much. yes, I am hyper nit-picking here. 

worst strikes: srix. for sure more forgiving on both fat and toe-y shots. my miss is an over-draw and my BAD misses are hooks. mizzy bad and really bad misses were more severe than srix. 

other considerations:

- so this is just a 'me' thing, but knowing the 223 are brand new and minimum 2 years in market, whereas zx5 is halfway into its lifecycle, is a real psychological thing for me. maybe that's silly but I don't want to worry about new irons next year when srix inevitably improve on their clubs next year. 

-  looks are subjective, but I do like the look of mizzy over srix. both are gorgeous but I give the edge to mizzy

so that's it for now. happy to answer any questions as best I can. I will say that either of these irons are VASTLY superior to my 919s. like 10-15yds distance, 700-1000 higher backspin, 500-700 less sidespin, 3-4 degrees higher descent angle. 

oh by the way, I didn't make a decision on these two yet. going back for another session to lock it down. had the forgiveness and/or performance on misses been identical I would have left with mizzy order. but it wasn't so now I am left weighing all these factors knowing I want to keep these clubs for at least 2 seasons and that with my weekly lessons I am hoping to continue to improve. 

would LOVE to get y'all thoughts if you have any firsthand experience with 223/225/zx5/zx7

cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I mean ZX5 is a different class of iron that 223's. They for sure will be more forgiving for just about anyone. Did you hit the ZX7 in your fitting? That would be the more direct comparison IMO.

I personally disliked the feel of the ZX5. Too clickly for my taste - if I would be buying anything in that bracket, it would likely be the Callaway Apex.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:36 AM, yodatodd said:

today, actually, during an iron fitting. 

currently playing Mizzy 919 Forged, for context. taking weekly lessons and currently a 12.1 hcp

first things first, there are no wrong answers with any of these (223, 225, or zx5). it's simply a matter of maximizing the choice

next, 223 v 225. 
based on everything both missy and other reviewers have shared, I was fully expecting 225 to be easier and more forgiving to hit. perhaps, but that was NOT my experience. 223 over 225 by a long shot. admittedly I do have a somewhat I-O swing path (around 4.4-5.0 but working on that 🙂) but I found the thicker sole tough with turf interaction than the slightly thinner 223s. feel-wise, 223 being a 'blended' set (forged chromoly in long irons, GFF in shorter) felt better top to bottom of set than 225s. could be psychological, but...doesnt make it not true!

so that leaves us 223 v. zx5.

being a mid-hcp, I am going to have a wide range of strikes. some thin, some fat, some pulled, some hooked, some pured. I count all of those because that is my reality on the course. 

average 'good' strikes: boy, nearly identical. backspin, sidespin, distance, launch angle all close enough to say they are the same.

best strikes: mizzy. feel is subjective, but my perfect shots with 223 felt more pure than zx5. that isn't a knock against srix by any stretch. but I will say that I think the srix may be TOO long on pured strikes. I don't really want to be hitting 7irons 190+ and that was happening. mizzy stayed right around 180-185 which is upper end of what I would want from a bag gapping standpoint. I play a little baby draw on my best shots, and the mizzy allowed that mores than the srix which didn't quite turn over as much. yes, I am hyper nit-picking here. 

worst strikes: srix. for sure more forgiving on both fat and toe-y shots. my miss is an over-draw and my BAD misses are hooks. mizzy bad and really bad misses were more severe than srix. 

other considerations:

- so this is just a 'me' thing, but knowing the 223 are brand new and minimum 2 years in market, whereas zx5 is halfway into its lifecycle, is a real psychological thing for me. maybe that's silly but I don't want to worry about new irons next year when srix inevitably improve on their clubs next year. 

-  looks are subjective, but I do like the look of mizzy over srix. both are gorgeous but I give the edge to mizzy

so that's it for now. happy to answer any questions as best I can. I will say that either of these irons are VASTLY superior to my 919s. like 10-15yds distance, 700-1000 higher backspin, 500-700 less sidespin, 3-4 degrees higher descent angle. 

oh by the way, I didn't make a decision on these two yet. going back for another session to lock it down. had the forgiveness and/or performance on misses been identical I would have left with mizzy order. but it wasn't so now I am left weighing all these factors knowing I want to keep these clubs for at least 2 seasons and that with my weekly lessons I am hoping to continue to improve. 

would LOVE to get y'all thoughts if you have any firsthand experience with 223/225/zx5/zx7

cheers

225s actually have a thinner sole than 223s in 6 and 7 iron. All other irons are pretty much close to sole width. I agree with some other posters here; ZX5s are in a different class and category with really nothing in the Mizuno line to compare it too. Apex is moreso a good comparison. ZX7 are more comparable to 223, T100s, Apex Pro, and probably P770.

There’s lots of discussions in ZX7 vs 223 in this thread:

• 2 weeks later...

Great conversation here.  I too in same boat.   Both irons are fantastic in looks and feel.  Totally agree with above about the mental aspect knowing that Srix will be launching new probably in 2022 as well.  I'm almost thinking for now go with Mizzy and once new Srixons released if they are significantly better than whatever Mizuno I go with who cares, trade the Mizzy in, get some money back and put it towards the Srixons once they release.  This whole ordeal is like buying a new laptop when you think about it.  Impossible to keep up with the changing tech that comes out.   As soon as you buy a new computer a month later the same brand launches a new better one.

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Great conversation here.  I too in same boat.   Both irons are fantastic in looks and feel.  Totally agree with above about the mental aspect knowing that Srix will be launching new probably in 2022 as well.  I'm almost thinking for now go with Mizzy and once new Srixons released if they are significantly better than whatever Mizuno I go with who cares, trade the Mizzy in, get some money back and put it towards the Srixons once they release.  This whole ordeal is like buying a new laptop when you think about it.  Impossible to keep up with the changing tech that comes out.   As soon as you buy a new computer a month later the same brand launches a new better one.

That’s fair, but the ZX7’s are so good that I have no idea what Srixon will do to top them.

No guarantees that whatever the next irons Srixon release will be better than ZX7, so might as well buy what fits your game the best for now, and whatever happens in the future happens.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

On 1/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, m_w said:

I mean ZX5 is a different class of iron that 223's. They for sure will be more forgiving for just about anyone. Did you hit the ZX7 in your fitting? That would be the more direct comparison IMO.

I personally disliked the feel of the ZX5. Too clickly for my taste - if I would be buying anything in that bracket, it would likely be the Callaway Apex.

Yeah, I would echo this. ZX5 is in the Players Distance category and ZX7 is in the Players CB category that would be most comparable to the Pro 223 from what I can see.

Interested to hear how the 223’s compare to the ZX7 as well from those that have hit both.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

another thread with Srixon irons vs ...................... 

Amazing

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Srixon hats are everywhere now

5 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

Srixon hats are everywhere now

Been using the Zstar XV now for 6 years love it. Trying out the Diamond this year. Srixon and Mizuno both have been stepping up the game in the golf world. Can’t go wrong with either one. Personally never hit the Srixon but I am a mizuno fan for a long time now. Pro223 are going in the bag this year when they get here. 

1 hour ago, Mobert19 said:

I just bought 2 a few weeks ago. Lol

i just added the grey and white to my collection. Hat ho

Accurate.  I'd take it a step further and even say I see more tour pros or on LPGA playing PXG and winning than with Mizuno.  Heres a post that was posted on this site actually pertaining to LPGA players WITB for 2021.  Interesting.

Irons

Similar to fairway woods, the configuration of irons varies from golfer to golfer. However, we found an arrangement that has repeated itself several times, 16 to be exact. The majority of LPGA pros favor a 5-iron to pitching wedge assortment. While only four golfers avoid the 5-iron and have 6-iron to pitching wedge iron sets. In addition, Nippon has established itself as the most preferred choice for iron shafts as 10 LPGA pros choose their products.

Here too, Ping has emerged as the most trusted choice with 10 players. Srixon makes a surprise appearance with 6 users along with Titleist and PXG. They are followed by TaylorMade and Callaway, each of whom is used by 5 players.

Edited by mtnbiker5

i think the zx5 is in a different category then the mizuno 225/223, the mizuno should be compared to the zx7. In the new mizuno lineup i dont think they have a club like the zx5

I had a zx5z,zx7 combo set. Sold that. Had a zx5 mmt105 set sold that.  Not sure if it was the heads or shafts.  

Currently have z585 steelfiber i110 regular and mizuno 225/223 combo set. Been pretty good with the with z585.  Only hit my mizunos once so far.  

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

On 5/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, rsyutzy said:

Brooks Koepka was winning majors with mizuno irons till he got a deal with Srixon/Cleveland.

Not sure what that has to do with the OP decision 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I'm not convinced on whatever the next brand coming out that there will be a significant change other than cosmetics, sometimes its best to wait as price may drop plus if you like what you see now and have been fitted why wait, unless you just want a back up set

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 5/7/2022 at 10:46 PM, mtnbiker5 said:

When was last time we saw male/female pros winning with Mizuno irons?......For the average golfer yeah, Mizuno feels nice, when you hit them pure.  Other than that, yawn...

Well at least I should never be confused with a tour poser with my all mizuno bag🤣 My vote goes to the 225s. Yes I’m partial to the Mizunos but to me they look so much better than the srixon irons. I don’t like the high toe in the ZX5 or ZX7. The srixons feel fine but Mizunos are better! 

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Majority of pros aren't winning with Mizuno's in the bag and I've always wondered why.  Not trying to kick a hornets nest here but those are facts.  That holds true on the LPGA tour as well.  Not seeing it, sorry.   I see more with Srixon and I don't even game them.  Not saying Mizuno's are bad, just stating what I'm seeing.