2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dr Kwon

zacgolf

2 hours ago, glk said:

My take is he was actually adding more knee flex when he was doing the step motion versus just stepping with knee already flexed and then pushing up.    When you turn to the right the left knee will flex so just step and turn versus step, flex then turn.

Hmm I seem remember one of Monte's IG posts showing Rory's driver swing and specifically noting additional gain in lead knee flex in transition. How does this fit in with that? Or is that purely from the re-centering move slightly shortening the distance from the lead hip to the lead foot?

Edited by Simpsonia

13 minutes ago, Simpsonia said:

Hmm I seem remember one of Monte's IG posts showing Rory's driver swing and specifically noting additional gain in lead knee flex in transition. How does this fit in with that? Or is that purely from the re-centering move slightly shortening the distance from the lead hip to the lead foot?

Yes that can happen and Tyler has mentioned it too as well as amg.  It isn’t much though and happens more fromp3 to p4.  To me it has a lot to do with bracing the left side - you have to prepare stop the lateral motion

so yeah more during that recentering pressure shift to lead leg.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtywnanlLn_/

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

21 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

I think no turn cast goes very well together with Dr. Kwon's moves. Monte also wants to keep the body closed in transition. The unhinge move and other wrists moves from NTC are still necessary for many people.

NTC is arms driven.  (At least that's how I perceive it) 

Edited by MrHateCoffee

It occurs to me that in all of the instruction that I have had to load the trail side or get into the trail hip joint and so on it has always been just do this with no explanation of why it should be done and no real explanation of the timing.  Kwon explains why and shows how.  It took me a while to begin to understand but I am starting to get it a little bit.  LOL I ain't no genius if you know what I mean.  

Others seem to say do this because it is what most pros do but they don't provide the 'why'.  And a lot of instruction that I have had and worked on has been the opposite of what Kwon is teaching which is not helping me right now...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrHateCoffee said:

NTC is arms driven.  (At least that's how I perceive it) 

Arms driven and pivot driven is a false dichotomy.  All NTC is a demonstration of what the wrists are doing……while the body is working correctly.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, Haroputt said:

This is interesting thread . 

Something I thought in the past  that the swing starts from ground up

No one debates that.  

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Follow Monte on Instagram, there are so many videos he posts that are right in line with many of what Kwon advocates.

It seems some are overcomplicating this.  Kwon is pretty much just teaching/ demonstrating a proper pivot.  And I'm not minimizing it, it's really good stuff.  The step drill is one of the best.  But it's just one component.

I don't know about that rope drill, but I am all for any time you are at home, spend 5 minutes with arms folded and pivot back and forth 2-3x per day like Kwon shows.

Bought a rope from Home Depot and realized that I cannot do the rope drill AT ALL.  I'm going to rewatch his videos and keep trying but it's not intuitive to me at all.  I keep losing balance on the follow through.  But I do this in my real swing so that's not a surprise.

What's most interesting is that I have a really hard time generating speed with my body using my current form.  The only  way I can get a good whoosh is using my arms.

With that said, I look forward to improving since this is something I can do in the house.

50 minutes ago, MrHateCoffee said:

Bought a rope from Home Depot and realized that I cannot do the rope drill AT ALL.  I'm going to rewatch his videos and keep trying but it's not intuitive to me at all.  I keep losing balance on the follow through.  But I do this in my real swing so that's not a surprise.

What's most interesting is that I have a really hard time generating speed with my body using my current form.  The only  way I can get a good whoosh is using my arms.

With that said, I look forward to improving since this is something I can do in the house.

Get a 10lb weight.  Kettle bell or dumbbell.  Hold it palms out - with that weight youll find it easier to to use body.  Weight only needs to go chest high or so.  Then try rope.    I do a few sets a day - 10 or so weight then continuous rope.    I also do the band pull with the shun shun rhythm - but I don’t bother with the band much now.   Good luck.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I've worked a little on the step drills, you catch onto the little issues everyone runs into by watching the vids and focus on not making the same mistakes. If you do them awhile, you start really paying attention to pressuring your feet in normal swing so it becomes a bid more body focused. I haven't hit balls though considering we have snow on the ground.

After a few weeks of watching these videos and doing the step and rope drills, my ball striking is far and away better than I have ever been able to manage consistently.  The really big thing for me is that I no longer have swing thoughts on positions or anything.  I just make an athletic swing and it is awesome.  The big things I focus on in the drills are the ground forces (video where he explains torque on a computer model), not tilting spine away from target in back swing, and keeping the upper body closed to the target at the start of the downswing.  Once I grooved those, man it's awesome.

It works for me, I know others have different views and opinions and what works for them.  Now that I'm hitting it so well, might be time for new clubs lol.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Golfbeat said:

Would these body moves be the true secret of golf and the rest just hand/eye coordination separating the good from the mediocre? A bit too bold of a statement?

I can go with that as a start.  What's the definition of good hand/eye coordination?  Would that be based solely on results?  Ball flight? LM numbers? You can have good hand/eye coordination and produce shots, even playable ones, but it does not mean you have achieved efficiency or maximized output.

I would add to your statement the caveat, those not blessed naturally with speed and consistent results, start looking at the speed killers.  Some of those are fundamentals like grip and setup, some of those are those quirks that people do to rob themselves of efficient speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin said:

After a few weeks of watching these videos and doing the step and rope drills, my ball striking is far and away better than I have ever been able to manage consistently.  The really big thing for me is that I no longer have swing thoughts on positions or anything.  I just make an athletic swing and it is awesome.  The big things I focus on in the drills are the ground forces (video where he explains torque on a computer model), not tilting spine away from target in back swing, and keeping the upper body closed to the target at the start of the downswing.  Once I grooved those, man it's awesome.

It works for me, I know others have different views and opinions and what works for them.  Now that I'm hitting it so well, might be time for new clubs lol.

How did you improve on using the ground? 

3 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

Would these body moves be the true secret of golf and the rest just hand/eye coordination separating the good from the mediocre? A bit too bold of a statement?

I would say absolutely yes the sequence is the secret to golf and Kwon has IMO the best way of teaching it that I’ve seen. However, I disagree on hand eye and would say instead: the ability to repeat the motion 

2 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

Thanks, Cousin. I did watch the videos and read, etc. I think my biggest issue trying to feel my pushing the ground. I probably need to take some time to really practice the step drills and see where I'm at then.

This is something I've been thinking about this week, once the Dr. pointed out in the video on the prior page to not use the squat move.  I'm fine with that as the squat move always seemed to be forced into my own movement (maybe not everybody's?).  

But what we really have never been taught, or generally discussed, is how much pushing with each foot is the "right" amount?

I'm thinking the amount used in the drills is probably adequate for the actual swing....it's enough to be very intentional but not so much that we're trying to actually leave the ground...More than a little, but less than a lot, I suppose.  Probably 100% more than I use today....

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

4 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

The body movements are key but they are not easy or easily learned.  Being able to unweight with proper timing and use ground forces on the maxed out lever arm as Dr. Kwon teaches is something that in itself requires physical ability to execute efficiently.  You can see this  in the videos where some students struggle to get the basics while others are on to more advanced teaching very quickly.  Certainly hand/eye is related to overall talent so to answer your question I would say 'sort of'...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, agolfman said:

This is something I've been thinking about this week, once the Dr. pointed out in the video on the prior page to not use the squat move.  I'm fine with that as the squat move always seemed to be forced into my own movement (maybe not everybody's?).  

But what we really have never been taught, or generally discussed, is how much pushing with each foot is the "right" amount?

I'm thinking the amount used in the drills is probably adequate for the actual swing....it's enough to be very intentional but not so much that we're trying to actually leave the ground...More than a little, but less than a lot, I suppose.  Probably 100% more than I use today....

The cool thing is that the horizontal, torque, and vertical forces can be measured and synched with the swing by the swing catalyst system and others.  So if you find an instructor that has one and has been trained then they can show you how well you use the ground, what is your predominant ate pattern etc.  and work with you to use it better.  Dr kwon has force plates under the green mats that folks swing on.

webinar that might be if interest

Edited by glk

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

so it seems the real “secret” is figuring out how to lengthen the “moment arm”. 

is this basically the unweighting early and stepping left before the backswing ends essentially? So the transition motion is key? 

Is that the key keeping the COM back behind the ball while your force is moving forward….?

• Like 1