Sand Valley?

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

12 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

This is unacceptable!

What course would you regulars recommend playing a 2nd time? When I initially booked I have us for Sand Valley / Mammoth day 1, and Mammoth / Lido day 2. 

If Sedge isn't an option for switching one of the Mammoths, is that the best plan for a repeat round during the trip? 

In my opinion, yes.  I think after you play the first time there are a few holes where you didn't see something, or want another crack at it.  Sand Valley is fairly straight forward, not a bad course, but all right in front of you.  Mammoth is massive, and there are much better parts of fairways to be in than others.  Speed slots, backboards on greens, etc.  I'd recommend keeping Mammoth as your replay, but that's my opinion.  Some people love C&C courses and would rather have that as the replay.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, miss0033 said:

In my opinion, yes.  I think after you play the first time there are a few holes where you didn't see something, or want another crack at it.  Sand Valley is fairly straight forward, not a bad course, but all right in front of you.  Mammoth is massive, and there are much better parts of fairways to be in than others.  Speed slots, backboards on greens, etc.  I'd recommend keeping Mammoth as your replay, but that's my opinion.  Some people love C&C courses and would rather have that as the replay.  

Caddy the first time, but without the 2nd would you say?

1 hour ago, The Milkman said:

I've gone to SV quite a few times. I took a caddie the first time and thought it was pretty unnecessary. The last few times I just took a push cart. I really don't think it is necessary unless you just don't want to carry/push on your own. 

9 hours ago, The Milkman said:

If you are taking a caddy primarily for course knowledge, you don’t need them for your replay a day later. I did Mammoth 2x last year and didn’t take a caddy the 2nd time. Only hole that the caddie gave me information that I would have not gotten on my own was on #16. We had a front pin and the caddie told us to aim way further right (making it a blind shot over the hill/mound) and take a club that was maybe one less than the distance to the pin.  

• Like 1

I would rather play Mammoth again that Sand Valley. A caddie isn’t needed at either course but definitely helps at mammoth. Sand valley has a handful of tee balls that require course knowledge as well. 2 6, and 7 are blind or have hidden bunkers. 12 is very awkward and 16 you can’t see much of anything past the fairway bunker. 

If you don’t take a looper for round 2 grab a yardage book. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at a buddy's trip to SV in late summer / early fall '25. Based on experience, are we foolish to try and go in Sept given weather / daylight. Anyone know what the current booking window is for reservations?

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

31 minutes ago, kaschreiber said:

Looking at a buddy's trip to SV in late summer / early fall '25. Based on experience, are we foolish to try and go in Sept given weather / daylight. Anyone know what the current booking window is for reservations?

If you are looking for Lodging I'd say you are out of luck. Booked a Sun/Mon/Tue this past January for mid Sept and that was the only opening all year at the time for a group of 8. That being said, Sept is arguably the best weather all year so not sure what are you worried about there? Plenty of sunlight out still, October is when daylight time really starts to shrink. 

13 minutes ago, ESOX ZO said:

If you are looking for Lodging I'd say you are out of luck. Booked a Sun/Mon/Tue this past January for mid Sept and that was the only opening all year at the time for a group of 8. That being said, Sept is arguably the best weather all year so not sure what are you worried about there? Plenty of sunlight out still, October is when daylight time really starts to shrink. 

Did you book Jan of this year for Sept of next year? I'm looking to try and book Sept of '25 (not '24)

Edited by kaschreiber

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

51 minutes ago, kaschreiber said:

Weather is fine in September. Go earlier in the month to be safe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Sand Valley is closing for the season, its finally feeling like our trip next May is getting close. We're 6.5 months out, but our group of 8 is pumped. I've started to send emails with video links, articles, things like that. 

Planning for logistics now with flights since several of us are coming from different cities. Unfortunately when I made tee times for Friday afternoon at the Sandbox it was before flight schedules were announced. Instead of flying into MKE we're going to need to go to Midway and make the longer drive because there are flights that get in much earlier there. Oh well. Would rather a long drive than stressing and rushing to get there on time. 

2 hours ago, The Milkman said:

Now that Sand Valley is closing for the season, its finally feeling like our trip next May is getting close. We're 6.5 months out, but our group of 8 is pumped. I've started to send emails with video links, articles, things like that. 

Planning for logistics now with flights since several of us are coming from different cities. Unfortunately when I made tee times for Friday afternoon at the Sandbox it was before flight schedules were announced. Instead of flying into MKE we're going to need to go to Midway and make the longer drive because there are flights that get in much earlier there. Oh well. Would rather a long drive than stressing and rushing to get there on time. 

Sadly since 2008/9 when the world crumbled and airlines went to a largely hub and spoke model MKE gets very little direct traffic.  Have a great trip!

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Oof that sucks. We have the following, which I booked expecting one of the Mammoth's to switch to become Sedge. Oh well

Friday PM: Sandbox

Saturday: Sand Valley / Mammoth

Sunday: Mammoth / Lido

I know it'll still be great but sucks knowing we're just a month or so different from getting to play another incredible one. Guess we'll just get to take a 2nd look at going low on Mammoth Dunes

I'm lucky enough to live three hours away and my wife is from WI, so I get to SV a lot.  1) If no lodging onsite, The Inn Of The Pines is 15 minutes south of the resort. It's a dump, but does the job. 2) Both SV and Mammoth are fairly straightforward, you don't need a caddy.  Have not played the Lido yet, but hear good things.  3) The Sandbox is a must.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Milkman said:

Oof that sucks. We have the following, which I booked expecting one of the Mammoth's to switch to become Sedge. Oh well

Friday PM: Sandbox

Saturday: Sand Valley / Mammoth

Sunday: Mammoth / Lido

I know it'll still be great but sucks knowing we're just a month or so different from getting to play another incredible one. Guess we'll just get to take a 2nd look at going low on Mammoth Dunes

Idk if these times are flexible but if so I would recommend swapping the Sunday rounds. 

I would play Lido in the morning. It needs your full attention and Mammoth is perfect as a fun and relaxing PM round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

How far out is the booking window?  Tried to book summer 2024... no luck would like to try for summer 2025.  Anyone know when that window will open?

Early February 2024 is when they should open up for bookings in 2025. If you want summer, you'll need to book likely on the first day they open

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mci711 said:

Has anyone heard anything about sedge village? I've heard no updates any time recently about the pool, spa, bbq etc..

Above someone posted something from SV saying Sedge won't be open until mid-summer

I haven't heard anything about the pool/ spa or anything else

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Just now, jwhite86 said:

Above someone posted something from SV saying Sedge won't be open until mid-summer

I haven't heard anything about the pool/ spa or anything else

Yea I saw that about Sedge Valley. More so wondering about the "village" they announced. Had an email from them like a year and half ago about it and haven't had anything since. I sent them an email last night. I'll report what I hear. 

15 hours ago, mci711 said:

Has anyone heard anything about sedge village? I've heard no updates any time recently about the pool, spa, bbq etc..

I'd also like to hear about the pool, spa, bbq as I was excitedly told those + sedge valley will all be open by my Memorial Day Trip in 2024.  At least if Sedge isn't open, would be nice to hit up a hot tub.

27 minutes ago, eboettne said:

I'd also like to hear about the pool, spa, bbq as I was excitedly told those + sedge valley will all be open by my Memorial Day Trip in 2024.  At least if Sedge isn't open, would be nice to hit up a hot tub.

I agree. The talk of it kind of just disappeared, which is concerning. I wonder how they can even staff that stuff. Getting a massage therapist to Nekoosa, Wisconsin can't be all that easy. 

Im a bit surprised how much of an issue they’re having with this and announcing a time for Sedge to officially open. I understand more on the course because it depends a lot on the unpredictable Wisconsin winter. 

Last summer everything was running so smoothly and it felt like a well oiled machine. Maybe they will have a better idea of the completion date when spring rolls around. 

Maybe this is a case of under promise and over deliver but it doesn’t feel like it. 

My best guess (with zero inside knowledge) is that they are hoping to have it open by Labor Day weekend. 

• 1 month later...