Sand Valley?

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

1 hour ago, DriverOffTheDeckGuy said:

Great review, I can't wait for Sedge to open up!

I was given the impression that Sedge would be open for the start of the 2024 season (barring huge set backs). Everyone else have the same thought or any info otherwise that may have been shared while on property recently? 

Edited by The Milkman

3 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

I was given the impression that Sedge would be open for the start of the 2024 season (barring huge set backs). Everyone else have the same thought or any info otherwise that may have been shared while on property recently? 

They do expect Sedge to open at the start of the 2024 season.  Like Lido last winter, I expect they will send emails to anyone with a 2024 reservation this upcoming winter to open up tee times.

22 hours ago, The Milkman said:

Spring/summer of 2024 is what I have heard. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Symphonize said:

Nope, literally couldn't. Thats like asking if I could imagine walking on the sun 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all, headed to SV next week for the first time, fired up! I read through the thread and just had a couple questions for those who have been.  Weather looks great, does it get breezy or buggy there?  Anything I should plan for?  Assuming it's shorts rather than pants this time of year.  Need to dress in layers in August?  Don't think so but you never know.  Also it sounds like there are 2 tiers of caddies, is that right?  I kind of assumed it was like Bandon ($100+tip) and was planning to use a pushcart, but it gets closer and I realize maybe I should save the legs on some of these later rounds especially.  I appreciate any input and apologize if I'm being Sanford & Son here with the repeat questions, but I read through the thread and didn't see the answers to what I was wondering about on this particular thread. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

Afternoon all, headed to SV next week for the first time, fired up! I read through the thread and just had a couple questions for those who have been.  Weather looks great, does it get breezy or buggy there?  Anything I should plan for?  Assuming it's shorts rather than pants this time of year.  Need to dress in layers in August?  Don't think so but you never know.  Also it sounds like there are 2 tiers of caddies, is that right?  I kind of assumed it was like Bandon ($100+tip) and was planning to use a pushcart, but it gets closer and I realize maybe I should save the legs on some of these later rounds especially.  I appreciate any input and apologize if I'm being Sanford & Son here with the repeat questions, but I read through the thread and didn't see the answers to what I was wondering about on this particular thread. Thank you.

Weather is as weather does.  Personally, 70's/80's and walking...I'm in shorts.  It looks like it might be humid which will make it seem warmer.  Breezy?  Can be but I find a 10 mph wind just keeps the air moving and is comfortable.  You are coming in what is generally the warmest and most humid part of the year.  I can't see layers unless you are the first tee time of the day.  The terrain is not flat, but it is gently rolling and the walking is comfortable to my mind.  A quarter zip and some jeans would be handy to have for evenings if it is going to get into the mid 50's.  There really is no water or swampy areas to create swarms of mosquitos and it has been a very very low bug year in my southern part of the state.

I don't find either course to require a caddy as there are no tricked up holes.  However, personally, I find a caddy helpful with lines and suggestions on courses I am playing for the first time.  Bandon has a very loyal and successful caddy stable.  I don't think SV is there yet and you may find a high variability of looper talent.  The level of caddy guidance you require, if at all, is really up to you.  Stay hydrated and hit it well.

Phred

• Thanks 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

@Slippin_Jimmy

They have Junior and Pro caddies. Juniors are younger than 18, or maybe it’s 18 and younger I don’t recall, and generally less experienced. Pro caddies have a higher suggested gratuity. 100+ tip, compared to Juniors I believe it’s 60+ tip. If you are sharing a caddie with another player and they are doubling then it will be a pro caddie. Under rare circumstances a jr could double but they try to avoid that.

You definitely don’t need one but there are some spots where course knowledge definitely helps. On Mammoth 3 comes to mind where everything falls off hard the back half of the green. 14 is driveable with the right angle. 16 short pin required a shot landing well short of the green, etc. It was nice having guidance for tee shots on 2 (blind and not a driver) 6 (hidden bunker) 7 (wide open but blind), 12 and 16. If you don’t have a caddie in the group I would pick up yardage books. 

I had a Junior caddie when I was there this summer. We read a couple of putts differently (easy to do on those massive greens at mammoth) but he was a nice kid and I would gladly take him again. Lines off the tee were good, he learned my game quickly, and he knew the game well enough to be an asset. He said 120-125 was his standard pay as a Junior caddie. (I usually walk and carry my own. I’m even keel and low maintenance on course. If you are expecting someone to caddie for you like you see on tv then definitely request a pro caddie. Or don’t take one at all, as you will most likely be disappointed.)

Just check the weather before you go. Only you know what your preferences are. Morning temps will probably be 20-25 degrees cooler than the daily high so at least take a pullover/quarter zip with you. It can always be left in the car/lodge. Wind tents to pick up a bit in the afternoon. No issue with bugs or insects when we went in early July. This could change as the sun sets. Mosquitos are brutal in many parts of Wisconsin. 

Everyone has different opinions on what hilly or rolling is but my group didn’t find the walk challenging. Felt like there were 1 or 2 more hills on SV but neither were difficult. This could be attributed to SV being second on our 36 hole day. Short green to tee transitions and courses are firm and designed to be walked. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a great trip to Sand Valley and wanted to say thanks especially to Phreddy and StudentGolfer4 for the helpful tips. Ended up playing most rounds w/o a caddie.  On the Lido we had to take a caddie and he was good, though fairly new to that course.  Last day I took a caddie at Sand Valley just bc my legs were a little tired and he was also good.  Both young guys about 21 or so.

Sure this has been said before, but it is such a great thing that the on-course stands are so reasonably priced, with most snacks only $1 each.  I wish more places would do this, just charge a bit more for the room and the round and have the snacks & drinks so cheap.  Just makes for much happier customers.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wbarksda said:

Anybody know?

I’d call them and ask. They may only do it a year or so ahead of time. 

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

On 8/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, Wbarksda said:

Anybody know?

2024 opened on Feb 8, 2023. If that helps. 

Be ready right away. It took a day or so to get our group’s plan together and I called on the 10th first thing in the morning. At that point we couldn’t get tee times and rooms for a group of 8 anytime between May 10 - Oct 1 or so

17 hours ago, The Milkman said:

2024 opened on Feb 8, 2023. If that helps. 

Be ready right away. It took a day or so to get our group’s plan together and I called on the 10th first thing in the morning. At that point we couldn’t get tee times and rooms for a group of 8 anytime between May 10 - Oct 1 or so

I guarantee lodging was the problem and not tee times.  (But you cannot book tee times without the lodging).  The resort is very limited on lodging options up to this point.  I believe more is coming online soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all - just returned from visiting Sand Valley last week. Played the Lido on the first day then Mammoth/Sand Valley back to back on the second day. Stayed on the property (Sandbox Loft) with balcony overlooking Sandbox #9. Great experience overall. Few things to point out based on my experience.

The Lido - was given 'junior' caddie. Our group actually had 1-pro caddie for 2 players and 2- junior caddies for other 2 players. clearly junior ones were getting mentored by the pro. They did ok but I'm not a big fan of having a caddie period (usually walk and carry my own). Course layout was ok (reminded me of Old McDonald @ Bannon Dunes which makes sense since same designer). Lot of quirky greens IMO. Course is only 3 months old which shows in terms on course condition (grass not grown in, greens are hard as a rock!). Tiny clubhouse and no liquor/beer license so expect to bring some from Sand Valley before teeing off. Course is a shuttle ride (at least 5-10 mins) so plan ahead. no range or putting green available. Wish it was better communicated @ check-in. 

Sand Valley/Mammoth - Walked using a trolley. Helped as elevation changes can be severe on some holes. Loved both courses but felt Mammoth played 'easier' which is true according to their slope ratings. I played Mammoth first then Sand Valley but if I do it again, I would swap those.

Lodging - it was great. nothing fancy/modern but had everything my wife and I needed for 2 nights stay. On-site shuttle was readily available which made traveling between lodging to clubhouse/range/craig's porch very easy.

Food - didn't try Aldo or Mammoth Bar so can't speak on that. Can't imagine they would be bad. Craig's porch is a great easy grab/go and like previous post mentioned, food/drinks are VERY affordable. $1/snack-food, $3/beer, $5/cocktails. Quality/portion on the food was just as good although wife and I are not very picky eater.

Not sure if it's in the future plan but would like to see more amenities including pool (indoor or outdoor), fitness center and hot-tub/sauna. That would make this more 'resort' vibe.

Not sure if this was ever mentioned but SV resort is out of nowhere literally. Closest gas station I could find was 20+ mins out. I would prefer and pick up some snacks/drinks...etc if you plan to hang in your room more than mammoth bar. Just a suggestion.

Looking forward to going back next week and hoping Lido would be more 'mature' by then and check out the new Sedge course.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:11 PM, baboya96 said:

Hello all - just returned from visiting Sand Valley last week. Played the Lido on the first day then Mammoth/Sand Valley back to back on the second day. Stayed on the property (Sandbox Loft) with balcony overlooking Sandbox #9. Great experience overall. Few things to point out based on my experience.

The Lido - was given 'junior' caddie. Our group actually had 1-pro caddie for 2 players and 2- junior caddies for other 2 players. clearly junior ones were getting mentored by the pro. They did ok but I'm not a big fan of having a caddie period (usually walk and carry my own). Course layout was ok (reminded me of Old McDonald @ Bannon Dunes which makes sense since same designer). Lot of quirky greens IMO. Course is only 3 months old which shows in terms on course condition (grass not grown in, greens are hard as a rock!). Tiny clubhouse and no liquor/beer license so expect to bring some from Sand Valley before teeing off. Course is a shuttle ride (at least 5-10 mins) so plan ahead. no range or putting green available. Wish it was better communicated @ check-in. 

Sand Valley/Mammoth - Walked using a trolley. Helped as elevation changes can be severe on some holes. Loved both courses but felt Mammoth played 'easier' which is true according to their slope ratings. I played Mammoth first then Sand Valley but if I do it again, I would swap those.

Lodging - it was great. nothing fancy/modern but had everything my wife and I needed for 2 nights stay. On-site shuttle was readily available which made traveling between lodging to clubhouse/range/craig's porch very easy.

Food - didn't try Aldo or Mammoth Bar so can't speak on that. Can't imagine they would be bad. Craig's porch is a great easy grab/go and like previous post mentioned, food/drinks are VERY affordable. $1/snack-food, $3/beer, $5/cocktails. Quality/portion on the food was just as good although wife and I are not very picky eater.

Not sure if it's in the future plan but would like to see more amenities including pool (indoor or outdoor), fitness center and hot-tub/sauna. That would make this more 'resort' vibe.

Not sure if this was ever mentioned but SV resort is out of nowhere literally. Closest gas station I could find was 20+ mins out. I would prefer and pick up some snacks/drinks...etc if you plan to hang in your room more than mammoth bar. Just a suggestion.

Looking forward to going back next week and hoping Lido would be more 'mature' by then and check out the new Sedge course.

There is a gas station 5 minutes from SV. The pool and spa are coming, building on sand takes time. They have a fitness center currently. 

I have played Lido once last year (all 18). I had a blast but I think its alot like the old course. Unless you play it 10 to 20 times, its really tough to get it or it be your favorite course. 

I kinda wish they built a wooden walking path that was 50 feet up and walked around the 'edges' of the golf course. It would be really cool to see the sights you get on drones with your own eyes.

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

4 minutes ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but I called last week about Sedge and was told they held an internal meeting and said it would not open until Summer of ‘24. So us early season trip guys may miss out.

Can someone else maybe call and see if they get the same story from them? 

This is unacceptable!

What course would you regulars recommend playing a 2nd time? When I initially booked I have us for Sand Valley / Mammoth day 1, and Mammoth / Lido day 2. 

If Sedge isn't an option for switching one of the Mammoths, is that the best plan for a repeat round during the trip?