Sand Valley?

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

11 minutes ago, MileHighGuye said:

By the way.. I ordered two tacos, an ice cream sandwich, energy balls and a back of pretzels and it was $4.

Unbelievable.

I'm still upset that they were out of ice cream sandwiches when I was there

• Sad 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Sand  Valley last week. The courses were in great shape, and the weather cooperated. Sand Valley is the tougher of the two 18 hole courses. Food was great and inexpensive other than at the restaurant Aldo’s which I felt was subpar. The taco and the bbq shack are great. We stayed in a four bedroom cottage which was very spacious and well appointed. 

a few negatives, they only have one driving range at sand valley so you have to be going back and forth if you want to warm up for mammoth. Also heard Lido has no driving range or putting green so when that opens to guest it will be an inconvenience. The caddies I felt were not great but pleasant enough. 

a few more tidbits, sedge valley should be opening soon and they plan on eventually having 6-7 courses. 

overall a great experience and would definitely return. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m making a day trip with a buddy coming up and I’m sure we will be paired with 2 others. I would like to take a caddy, my playing partner won’t, and I have no idea about the other two. I know their website states that caddies usually double, but has anyone had experience with a single bad caddy? If so, is the cost the same or more? They use to advertise caddies with 3 different levels or experience that you would book. Do they still do that? I don’t see it listed on their website. 

Replay rounds are half off. At Bandon the third round has to be free. Does anyone know if they have the same policy at Sand Valley. 

1 hour ago, Saltydawg15 said:

a few negatives, they only have one driving range at sand valley so you have to be going back and forth if you want to warm up for mammoth. Also heard Lido has no driving range or putting green so when that opens to guest it will be an inconvenience.

I think this is important. I may be in the minority but a nice range is a must for me. I just love hitting shots on a resort range for some reason (before AND after a round), it is a much bigger part of the experience than ice cream sandwiches or tacos or whatever. Ultimately this is about GOLF right?

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

13 hours ago, Saltydawg15 said:

a few negatives, they only have one driving range at sand valley so you have to be going back and forth if you want to warm up for mammoth.

They have a main practice area near the tennis courts, but there is also a small warmup range next to Craig’s Porch and Sand Valley first tee.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:06 AM, Saltydawg15 said:

Just got back from Sand  Valley last week. The courses were in great shape, and the weather cooperated. Sand Valley is the tougher of the two 18 hole courses. Food was great and inexpensive other than at the restaurant Aldo’s which I felt was subpar. The taco and the bbq shack are great. We stayed in a four bedroom cottage which was very spacious and well appointed. 

a few negatives, they only have one driving range at sand valley so you have to be going back and forth if you want to warm up for mammoth. Also heard Lido has no driving range or putting green so when that opens to guest it will be an inconvenience. The caddies I felt were not great but pleasant enough. 

a few more tidbits, sedge valley should be opening soon and they plan on eventually having 6-7 courses. 

overall a great experience and would definitely return. 

Thanks for the info. Did they say exactly how soon Sedge Valley will be opening?

I went to Sand last year, stayed on property and played MD and SV. Loved the courses, the lodging, the prices at Craig's Porch, and, as a first timer to the great state of Wisconsin, the Spotted Cow.

Sand does have some kinks to smooth out, but that will come in time and development.

They need more spots for food / drink, unlike Bandon you can't really "go into town" so you're largely locked into what they have on site. This is compounded if you get a thunder delay and you're caught in the rush back to the main bar in the lodge.

The practice areas, as mentioned, leave a bit to be desired. The caddie program has to be tough to sort out as it's only viable for such a relatively small window, but at the very least their reservation system needs to line up with requests made well in advance.

But those are all quality of life upgrades to what is already an exceptional golfing experience. It's still finding itself, which comes with quirks, but I think that's what make the trip even better now in its relatively early days.

I can't count the folks I've met at Bandon that rave about being there to see the original "clubhouse" aka a trailer or "playing" the original Sheep Ranch as a free for all for those who knew how to gain access. SV is already way ahead of that, but it still feels raw in a way. That's what makes these pilgrimages fun after all.

Edited by snakano

On 6/23/2023 at 7:27 AM, StudentGolfer4 said:

I’m making a day trip with a buddy coming up and I’m sure we will be paired with 2 others. I would like to take a caddy, my playing partner won’t, and I have no idea about the other two. I know their website states that caddies usually double, but has anyone had experience with a single bad caddy? If so, is the cost the same or more? They use to advertise caddies with 3 different levels or experience that you would book. Do they still do that? I don’t see it listed on their website. 

Replay rounds are half off. At Bandon the third round has to be free. Does anyone know if they have the same policy at Sand Valley. 

Yes, they will book you a single bag caddy. There are a few tiers but I think mine was $60 + gratuity?

Same deal on replay rounds as Bandon

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 5:32 PM, snakano said:

I went to Sand last year, stayed on property and played MD and SV. Loved the courses, the lodging, the prices at Craig's Porch, and, as a first timer to the great state of Wisconsin, the Spotted Cow.

Sand does have some kinks to smooth out, but that will come in time and development.

They need more spots for food / drink, unlike Bandon you can't really "go into town" so you're largely locked into what they have on site. This is compounded if you get a thunder delay and you're caught in the rush back to the main bar in the lodge.

The practice areas, as mentioned, leave a bit to be desired. The caddie program has to be tough to sort out as it's only viable for such a relatively small window, but at the very least their reservation system needs to line up with requests made well in advance.

But those are all quality of life upgrades to what is already an exceptional golfing experience. It's still finding itself, which comes with quirks, but I think that's what make the trip even better now in its relatively early days.

I can't count the folks I've met at Bandon that rave about being there to see the original "clubhouse" aka a trailer or "playing" the original Sheep Ranch as a free for all for those who knew how to gain access. SV is already way ahead of that, but it still feels raw in a way. That's what makes these pilgrimages fun after all.

you missed out if you didn't spend some time on the par 3 course with your buddies after a round.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ND2005 said:

when I’m on a trip playing 36 multiple days in a row, my use of the driving range decreases each day 😭

I'm at the point where not only do I refuse to use the range, but after a while I stop taking practice swings on the course.   After 8 back surgeries, my goal for every golf trip is being able to finish every round.

• Like 2

Just to clarify the range situation, there is normally a huge practice area by the tennis courts, but it is currently closed due to the construction of Sedge Valley. Once the construction is finished, there will be a large practice facility again. This practice area is what you'd expect - more room at the driving range, chipping areas, and bunkers.

The driving range at the SV course has been there since the beginning but was never the primary facility until this year when they were forced to make it that way due to all the work they are doing.

When I was there earlier this season, there was a helpful info card in each room describing the construction, what was closed, what was coming soon, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

What’s the best option for a quick breakfast in the morning? It looks like Mammoth Bar has a grab and go option. Can anyone recall what available? 

If I remember correctly, they had hot sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, coffee

• Thanks 1

WITB

11 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

What’s the best option for a quick breakfast in the morning? It looks like Mammoth Bar has a grab and go option. Can anyone recall what available? 

Craig's is for sure the best option for a quick breakfast IMHO.  They have $1 large breakfast sandwiches.  The same sandwiches are $8 at Mammoth Bar for reasons not entirely clear to me.  It's a little silly to take the shuttle over to Craig's before a Mammoth tee time, but the price is right.

Edited by lowlight21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lowlight21 said:

Craig's is for sure the best option for a quick breakfast IMHO.  They have $1 large breakfast sandwiches.  The same sandwiches are $8 at Mammoth Bar for reasons not entirely clear to me.  It's a little silly to take the shuttle over to Craig's before a Mammoth tee time, but the price is right.

nothing silly about that and thanks for the tip. At Bandon I had the breakfast buffet once and thought it wasn’t very good so the next three mornings I waited and drove over for the pastrami sandwich at sheep ranch because it was so good. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 9:25 AM, lowlight21 said:

Good input. My morning tee time is at Mammoth. Does the shuttle run fairly frequently? Could I drive and park at Craig’s before I warm up or is the shuttle the only way? 

9 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Good input. My morning tee time is at Mammoth. Does the shuttle run fairly frequently? Could I drive and park at Craig’s before I warm up or is the shuttle the only way? 

You can drive, but I think the shuttle is easier. If I were you, I’d leave my bag at Mammoth, take a few clubs and get on the shuttle to SV 45 minutes before your tee time, buy some breakfast, hit some balls, and head back to Mammoth 15-20 before your tee time to putt.  

On 7/4/2023 at 10:27 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

They've got sausage egg and cheese and bacon egg and cheese crossiants ready to go at mammoth bar, Also can get different coffees and what not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Last question, promise! Everyone loves Craig’s Porch on Sand Valley. Is there a halfway house or anything convenient at the turn for Mammoth? 

there was nothing for a half way house on mammoth but as my caddie said.... If you want a sandwich someone will drive it out from the main bar. There are coolers every few holes with snacks drinks and more snacks. It was pure bliss out there. You will not be disappointed at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 7:38 PM, lowlight21 said:

There is food and drink at 12 tee on Mammoth. A permanent structure with $1 food. So a 2/3 house. 

Yeah, sandwiches, cookies, beer, gatorade, cigars

WITB

That's an awesome review... I'm hoping to get back to SV soon and can't wait to give The Lido a run

• Like 1

WITB