2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Jones Sports Spring 2022

• 1 month later...

Anyone try the new Trouper R? I am curious if the straps are better for taller and bigger people and if any of the other changes are worth getting it over the slightly cheaper 2.0 that's still available.

• Like 1

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a Trouper 2.0 in Charcoal during the Memorial Day sale and it arrived today. 

I've loaded it up and will play with it tomorrow, weather permitting. It seems to balance and carry well and it has a slim profile which I like. 

All my stuff fit with room to spare. It doesn't seem like my grips are likely to tangle, but we'll see. My irons have midsize non-taper grips but three of them fit in the intended slots without issue. 

I'm curious where other users put their golf balls. It seems like the pocket under the cooler pocket is the most logical place in that A) the weight of the balls helps balance the bag and B) it's hard to imagine anything else fitting there and remaining readily accessible. I normally have 8-9 balls in my bag at any given time though I typically make it through a round using only a couple (knock wood). 

My prior bag was a Sun Mountain H2NO 14-way with the EZ Fit strap system. The features of that bag were great and it has been great as a cart or pushcart bag. It just carries heavy IMO and no amount of adjustment to the straps seemed to make it comfortable for me.  

I like that the Trouper can be used with one strap or two. It does seem like having the straps attached to one another would make it easier to find the second strap when needed, but I assume leaving them separated makes it more functional when single-strapping. 

65571276-7617-4F13-A7B9-7B687831CCA1.jpeg.2e5dcf009b04133a4c0d4d92464919a8.jpeg

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I've been using this bag for almost a year now and I love it. The only time I get club tangle is if I have the garment pocket on the side stuffed with rain gear or a jacket. I use the pocket you mention for balls, it was the one that made the most sense to me too. I carry 6-8 balls and there's plenty of room for that many without impacting the capacity of the cooler pocket.

One weird thing I've noticed with the straps is that I've had the 2nd strap catch on the accessory hook twice and cause my rangefinder to fall off. The first time it happened I just chalked it up to a freak accident, but the 2nd time made me think it was a potential flaw in the design. I have since moved my rangefinder to hang off the top handle similar to how your towel hangs.

• Thanks 1

I have a couple of cart rounds under my belt with my new Trouper 2.0. I'll post about push cart and carry rounds later but we're in the heat of the summer here now so it may be fall before I can convince anyone to walk with me. 

The first thing I learned about the bag was that loading only my usual stuff caused the bag to be "club head heavy" when using a single strap. I added an extra sleeve of balls to the pocket under the cooler pocket and that was just about enough to level it out. I don't want my clubs dumping out all over the parking lot. 

The second thing I learned was that there are two cart strap pass-throughs around the top of the bag. Using those helped prevent my bag from twisting on the cart. 

I don't have any issues with tangling grips so that's helpful. The stand works great. The straps seem fine. Everything fits and there's plenty of room for rain gear if needed. 

I may repurpose the putter well for a wood or maybe my two shortest wedges. My putter has a winged design and I tend to leave the covers off my driver and putter during rounds. I need to be really careful not to hit my driver head with the sharp wings of the putter when I'm pulling it out and I can see an expensive accident down the road if I don't adjust now. 

So far I like the bag a lot. It's far less bulky than my prior bag while still carrying all the same stuff. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else pick up a Trouper R? I just ordered the charcoal color in this bag and I'm looking forward to getting it. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-6, Z Forged II 7-9 - PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser 

Titleist Pro V1

I'm kind of thinking about pulling the trigger on the Trouper R, but not really understanding where the actual ball pocket is, thats normally on the front of any other bag... I guess it would be the cooler pocket on this one?  Whats the layout like on this thing?

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

On 6/30/2022 at 9:51 PM, Nixhex524 said:

I'm kind of thinking about pulling the trigger on the Trouper R, but not really understanding where the actual ball pocket is, thats normally on the front of any other bag... I guess it would be the cooler pocket on this one?  Whats the layout like on this thing?

I just got one. The pockets on the sides of the cooler pocket are bigger than they look and seem to go deeper than the cooler pocket so there is a decent amount of space.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:31 PM, MerryTex said:

Anyone else pick up a Trouper R? I just ordered the charcoal color in this bag and I'm looking forward to getting it. 

Did you get the charcoal Trouper R? How does the charcoal look in person? Any feedback thus far on bag?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

1 hour ago, RobDMB said:

Did you get the charcoal Trouper R? How does the charcoal look in person? Any feedback thus far on bag?

I’ve got it coming on Friday, MAYBE tomorrow. I got the charcoal one, yes. I’m excited to get it because it’ll have a separate spot for the putter, woods, irons, and wedges. It’ll be nice to have it all in certain spots of the bag. I’m so used to a four way top from Ping. 

Titleist Pro V1

12 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

How is club tangle on midsize grips?

It's manageable. Much better than the last Hoofer I had. 

My only wish list item would be having a way to easily collapse the liner of the cooler pocket, creating more room in the adjacent areas. It's not a big deal, I just haven't used the cooler pocket for drinks yet.

I have a pair of sunglasses in there (in a case) and may start using it for sunscreen and my rangefinder too. I'm not running out of space by any means. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I’m about to drop some photos in a few hours of my charcoal Trouper R. This thing is legit. 

Edited by MerryTex

Titleist Pro V1

44 minutes ago, MerryTex said:

Here are some photos of my charcoal colored bag. I’m loving it. It’s actually lighter than my Ping bag. 

How is the carry comfort? Do you think its too heavy to walk with?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

Same dumb cooler pocket and awful strap design.  Top layout is the best there is but the functionality of the rest of the bag is pretty terrible.  I had last years model and sold it after one round and messing with straps for an eternity.   If they adopted pings strap system and lower pocket layout it’d be the best bag ever made 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I’m using the cooler pocket for my tees and ball marker pouch, left side of that for balls, right side for glove. I’m not too sure I’ll need the cooler pocket as I keep water in a Yeti anyway and refill at the turn. I keep my sunscreen and a small rain jacket or pull over in the largest pocket of the bag when needed but rarely need to pack them being that I live in Texas - sunscreen and bug spray are the only two items I keep there. 

My bag remains very light because of this. All in all I only keep about 8-9 balls, 20 or so tees, my valuables pouch that has my divot tool and markers, a glove, sunscreen/bug spray, a towel, my Yeti or Hydroflask, and sometimes my GoPro.

A fairly light setup due to the fact I don’t have to carry a jacket or rain gear all the time. I try to keep what I need on me with room and weight to spare. 

Titleist Pro V1

Yesterday was the first time I walked 18 carrying my Trouper 2.0. 

I had my pull cart in the car, but the course had gotten a lot of rain over the weekend and I assumed there'd be a lot of mud and stuff to roll through. When they told us it was Carts On Path I decided I'd just carry. 

The weight and balance of the bag was just fine and the stand worked reliably all day. I carried everything I needed including a rain jacket (though I did let my extra drink ride in the cart basket of a playing partner). 

As far as the straps go, I think they're fine. The second strap works best when it's *under* the main strap instead of over it. When it's under it is fairly easy to keep it on the side of the bag that lays on your back, and as long as you check its position before picking up the bag it'll always be right where you expect it to be. 

With the second strap routed *over* the main strap it can end up hanging low on the back side of the bag, making it hard to find/reach. 

I'd like to find some way to connect the two straps to each other where they cross when carrying, which would keep them from getting separated at all. I may experiment with one of those really small carabiners though I assume I'd feel it in my back when walking. I want something that will collect the straps together without restricting them from easily sliding across each other. 

EDIT: I just ordered some of these...will report on results of strap experiment.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08RQHTVH8?psc=1&smid=A16Y24OARHBVAK&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 7/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, me05501 said:

As far as the straps go, I think they're fine. The second strap works best when it's *under* the main strap instead of over it. When it's under it is fairly easy to keep it on the side of the bag that lays on your back, and as long as you check its position before picking up the bag it'll always be right where you expect it to be. 

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone has such a hard time with the straps.  They're comfortable and easy to use.  Some people are just chronically discontented I guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ciscojaws said:

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone has such a hard time with the straps.  They're comfortable and easy to use.  Some people are just chronically discontented I guess.

I like them better than the EZ Fit straps on the last Sun Mtn bag I carried. I never could get those adjusted to my liking. 

I definitely prefer being able to easily choose single or double strapping depending on how far I'm walking, and having the bag balance correctly whichever I choose. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Oh man...Didn't know I was in the market for a new bag until now.  The Trouper R in black or charcoal is just calling my name.  Sharp and clean!

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

Got the email last night about the New Players bag drop. Makes sense considering its OPEN week.

Really considering snagging one.

https://www.jonessportsco.com/products/players-r-sonoma

Edited by texcellence86
  • Like 1

Qi10 10.5

Ai SMOKE TD 18 | Apex UW 21

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

3 hours ago, texcellence86 said:

Got the email last night about the New Players bag drop. Makes sense considering its OPEN week.

Really considering snagging one.

https://www.jonessportsco.com/products/players-r-sonoma

That Sonoma is sharp looking. I’m debating picking up a carry bag or the FJ Harris Tweed editions for The Open. 

Titleist Pro V1

On 7/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, MerryTex said:

That Sonoma is sharp looking. I’m debating picking up a carry bag or the FJ Harris Tweed editions for The Open. 

These have a full spine right? I thought I read that somewhere but the site doesn't specifically say.

Qi10 10.5

Ai SMOKE TD 18 | Apex UW 21

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide