2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scotland caddies

Cmoney710

I am a little more than 3 months away from our Scotland trip that has been rescheduled twice. What is the going rate of caddies + tip?

Also any courses where you wouldn’t recommend getting them? 

Appreciate the insight and help. Cheers!

Day 1 Castle and Jubilee

Day 2 The Old Course

Day 3 Kingsbarns

Day 4 Carnoustie

Day 5 North Berwick

Day 6 Muirfield 36 Holes

Every one of those courses publishes the caddie rates on its website and have suggestions for gratuity rate.  

I've only played The Old Course and North Berwick on your list.

I wouldn't play The Old Course without a caddie, even having now played it once.  Part of the experience for me and extremely valuable.  

I had a caddie for my first round on North Berwick and he was great, but the course is pretty straightforward and didn't need one for the second round.

All depends on what part of caddie services have value for you.  

• Like 1

When ya going?  I’ll be at North Berwick June 12th

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

2 hours ago, Cmoney710 said:

I am a little more than 3 months away from our Scotland trip that has been rescheduled twice. What is the going rate of caddies + tip?

Day 1 Castle and Jubilee

Day 2 The Old Course

Day 3 Kingsbarns

Day 4 Carnoustie

Day 5 North Berwick

Day 6 Muirfield 36 Holes

Old Course is a must for caddie. It not the easiest track to navigate and a caddie helps lots. It is a course you want to have your best at and they also have some great loopers there. 

Castle course is pretty gimmickee with wild greens. Great shots have a random chance of success. I am not a fan of the course at all, but a Caddie would help navigate some of the very silly bounces and putts. I would play New Course five times before Castle Course again.

Played Jubillee  a few times, don't recall much issue getting around.

Kingsbarns is one of my favourites. Have scored really well there without a caddie as there is nothing you can't see.

Carnoustie, felt fine with out one. 

Have not played the others.

I guess why do you want a caddie? Do you need some physical assistance, because you dont walk and carry a bag regularly or is it just about guidance?

For the record, I am not really a big caddie guy if I can help it. I walk 150 rounds carrying my bag per year, so I am really used to this and don't need the physical assistance even if a playing 36 back to back etc. So it just comes down to having someone guiding me around the course, sometime I find that more annoying than helpful. The Scottish caddies do seem to be better than most though and have pretty interesting stories and great advice on playing shot if you are not used to links golf. 

Edited by 2bGood

2 hours ago, Cmoney710 said:

Day 1 Castle and Jubilee

Day 2 The Old Course

Day 3 Kingsbarns

Day 4 Carnoustie

Day 5 North Berwick

Day 6 Muirfield 36 Holes

I've been to Scotland several times and played each of those courses. It really depends on how well you'll do physically carrying 8 rounds in 6 days. My attitude with caddies is....if you can afford it, do it. At a minimum they keep the clubs clean and do all the bunker raking for you. I think the private clubs like it too, because they know you have a guide who will keep the group moving, lol. I've played with and without caddies over there, and really prefer the caddy experience.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

45 minutes ago, Cmoney710 said:

Looking more for the experience and guidance as I am not sure when I will be making the trip back. I am a 5 handicap and am in good shape. Was just looking to see if there are certain courses that you would say a caddie isn’t necessarily needed. 

I’ve played everything on your list. Caddie fees are going to be around £70 - £80 with tips. You won’t need a caddie on the Jubilee course. It’s pretty straight forward and the course planner will give you all the info you need. I’m prob in the minority, but you don’t necessarily need a caddie for Carnoustie either. Most of the course is in front of you and once again the course planner will give you all the info you need. On the other courses I would definitely recommend a caddie. Another option you have if you want to save some money and have more than one player in your group is to use a forecaddie. They will basically do the same as a caddie but won’t carry your bag or push your cart. Honestly, I’ve done both and prefer having a forecaddie. I’m not a tightwad at all, but saving £40 a round and getting the same experience pays the bar tab and dinner. If you have at least 2 in your group I would recommend taking a forecaddie where you can and take a caddie on courses where they are not available. Your rounds at Jubilee and maybe Carnoustie won’t necessarily need one. If you have any other questions, PM me and I’ll be glad to help.

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 2 weeks later...

jubilee, definitely not, it’s more of a locals course. It’s super fun, but I would have felt out of place with a caddie there. I played Castle twice without a caddie, I’m not sure even a caddie would help there, it’s sort of extreme golf to have fun and not worry about your score. 

Old Course absolutely need one. There were so many more blind tee shots than I expected, even in my 3rd round I was struggling to remember aiming points. 

At North Berwick, the caddies are mostly members and a heck of a good time. PM me and I’ll give you the name of a caddie I really enjoyed spending several hours with. 

My Carnoustie caddie was a young eager guy but added very little. But my entire experience there was a major letdown, so don’t let me drag you down lol. 

Muirfield my caddie was a no-show but I think you’d benefit from one there. I was lucky and got paired with a tour operator who knew the course very well.  I think a strong caddie there would make a special day all better. Make sure to do lunch and leave time for the clubhouse. I lingered in there a couple hours, it’s basically a museum. 

i can’t even tell you how jealous I am. I was there 5 months ago and honestly it feels like a lifetime. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, philsRHman said:

jubilee, definitely not, it’s more of a locals course. It’s super fun, but I would have felt out of place with a caddie there. I played Castle twice without a caddie, I’m not sure even a caddie would help there, it’s sort of extreme golf to have fun and not worry about your score. 

Old Course absolutely need one. There were so many more blind tee shots than I expected, even in my 3rd round I was struggling to remember aiming points. 

At North Berwick, the caddies are mostly members and a heck of a good time. PM me and I’ll give you the name of a caddie I really enjoyed spending several hours with. 

My Carnoustie caddie was a young eager guy but added very little. But my entire experience there was a major letdown, so don’t let me drag you down lol. 

Muirfield my caddie was a no-show but I think you’d benefit from one there. I was lucky and got paired with a tour operator who knew the course very well.  I think a strong caddie there would make a special day all better. Make sure to do lunch and leave time for the clubhouse. I lingered in there a couple hours, it’s basically a museum. 

i can’t even tell you how jealous I am. I was there 5 months ago and honestly it feels like a lifetime. 

I absolutely agree with everything philsRHman said. Carnoustie is pretty much right in front of you with and a few blind shots. The course planner is all you need., not to mention it won’t be the most friendly greeting you’ll get compared to the others you’re playing. Definitely don’t need one at Jubilee. The Castle course is your call. I had a younger kid and he was really good. The green complexes there have lots of severe slope on them so it was good to have someone tell you where to land approaches. Some holes you literally try to land it 10yds left or right of the green to allow the slope to kick your ball in. Muirfield is also right in front of you, no gimmicks just a really strong test of golf. The rough is deep there so a caddie would def help to look but not necessarily to guide around the course, it’s straight out in front of you. It is an absolute MUST at TOC. It’s a very vague course from the tee so having the right lines is critical. Same with the greens, depending on pin placement. Not to mention, it’s just the right thing to do for the entire experience.

49 minutes ago, johnsomp said:

I'm looking for the same caddie advice, but regarding Dornoch, Brora, and Golspie.

For what it's worth, we are playing Brora and Golspie the same day, in that order, followed by Dornoch the next day.  That is the end of our trip, having started with six days in Saint Andrews.

You should consider playing Tain instead of Golspie. It’s a hidden gem and has all of that classic Scotland golf vibe. Tom Morris designed it. 
Played Dornoch Struie Course and Tain without a caddie, and it was ok, but I think it could add to the experience and save you some shots. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

On 3/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, johnsomp said:

I'm looking for the same caddie advice, but regarding Dornoch, Brora, and Golspie.

For what it's worth, we are playing Brora and Golspie the same day, in that order, followed by Dornoch the next day.  That is the end of our trip, having started with six days in Saint Andrews.

We didn't plan on it, but other circumstances allowed my daughter and I to play Brora twice in two days.  Caddies were definitely not needed for us - we LOVE that course, love it.

Also played Dornoch twice, both times with caddies, actually the second time we were guests of the member/caddie I had for the first round.  The first time around I was really glad to have the caddie and had a great time and especially so the other members of the family (all played the first round).  The second time around it really wasn't as essential but again I really enjoyed the experience and we were happy not be pushing trolleys.  We had pushed them the day before in constant 45+ mph winds on the Struie and we were a bit tired, lol.

Those courses are incredible.  Dornoch is amazing, Brora for us was just a special place to play.  

Some of our friends:

85A0360B-BDB0-467F-A777-ECC7C60AF686.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

We didn't plan on it, but other circumstances allowed my daughter and I to play Brora twice in two days.  Caddies were definitely not needed for us - we LOVE that course, love it.

Also played Dornoch twice, both times with caddies, actually the second time we were guests of the member/caddie I had for the first round.  The first time around I was really glad to have the caddie and had a great time and especially so the other members of the family (all played the first round).  The second time around it really wasn't as essential but again I really enjoyed the experience and we were happy not be pushing trolleys.  We had pushed them the day before in constant 45+ mph winds on the Struie and we were a bit tired, lol.

Those courses are incredible.  Dornoch is amazing, Brora for us was just a special place to play.  

Some of our friends:

85A0360B-BDB0-467F-A777-ECC7C60AF686.jpeg

Here’s the goats at Lahinch. They’re the course barometers. If you see them on the course it means the weather is good. If they are staying around the clubhouse it means it’s getting ready to rain…

B560ECA5-7693-4618-A259-8E9D9B328679.jpeg

• Like 1

I play Muirfield on Thursday and I don’t know whether it’s because we are booking from Scotland or not but in the emails back and forth re booking and arrangements, I have been surprised at just the passing mention of caddies round there. Now I don’t suspect that we would have taken them anyway but doesn’t seem like it is too major a deal round there from all that I have read. Can report back on Thursday 😃

Old Course - I have never but I did a good job when it came to in-laws. They are from St Andrews and uncles all still stay down there. Whenever I have played down there, I have had someone who has played the Old Course for 40 plus years at minimum with me, other times it has been 2 or 3 of them. If I didn’t have them, then definitely a caddie is needed. Some of the lines are just impossible to fully appreciate without someone showing you around.

Castle - is a maybe, Jubilee is an absolutely no need. Kingsbarns - I would say 75% yes. Carnoustie, probably not all that necessary. North Berwick I have never played so can’t say one way or the other.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

I'll piggyback no this topic.  Other courses - caddie recommended or not?

- Prestwick

- Turnberry Ailsa

- Troon

- Western Gailes

Definitely recommend a caddy at Troon and Prestwick due to the blind shots. Western Gailes is right out in front of you so no need there. Ailsa is a toss up.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

I'll piggyback no this topic.  Other courses - caddie recommended or not?

- Prestwick

- Turnberry Ailsa

- Troon

- Western Gailes

We had caddies at Prestwick and Troon.  I enjoyed having a caddie at Prestwick, but our guys had my wife and I on a pace that was a little rushed (and I enjoy golf at a brisk pace, but didn't think racing around Prestwick was my idea of enjoying it - still the guys were nice and the Caddie Master was a gem and a nice clubhouse to look about).  Except for a few key blind shots I think the course is pretty much easy to figure out and there are spots where you can see a good bit of it and get a feel for where you are going, etc. I think we could have managed without, but were happy to have them.  We had such a nice, beautiful day at Troon I think we could have walked and been fine as well, but my wife (and me, I won't lie) enjoyed having the bags carried that day and my caddie helped me a lot more on Troon, and in different ways than at Prestwick.  Troon clubhouse also cool - eat lunch after the round (if you play in the morning) in the dining room with a view of the 18th, look around the clubhouse, it's worth it.  We went back in the evening to take some pics and look in at some trinkets and met a member who gave us a tour - that was neat!

• Like 2