2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Sweetens Alternative

WipeyFade

I was planning on taking a day trip to Sweetens this summer, but I was unsuccessful at securing a spot for the summer. Hopefully, they will have some cancelations. I love the course and the vibe there, are there any alternatives to Sweetens in the Southeast? I live in North Alabama and am looking for something within a 2-3 hour drive. I have looked at Mossy Oak and it looks similar, but I was looking for other options as well.

If by "alternative" you mean other 9 hole courses then the only one I could think of that would be similar is Sewanne. Gil Hanse did a redesign a few years back.

Mossy Oak and Old Waverly are fantastic courses, and I highly recommend it. It's the most underrated stay and play package in the country in my opinion. You have to stay onsite to play Old Waverly, but I'm 99% sure Mossy Oak is open to general public play and doesn't require an overnight stay.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 4

Sewanee is one of my favorite places to visit and to play golf and the renovated Sewanee Inn is adjacent to the course. Just check the University's calendar of events before you choose a weekend. If they're having alumni weekend or graduation the course and the Inn will be very busy. Otherwise it is very chill. 

It's about 30-40 minutes from Sewanee to the Bear Trace at Tim's Ford, and that's a great 18-hole layout if you want to mix it up. 

Another option is McLemore near Rising Fawn, GA (close to Mentone, AL). The course is really cool and they offer stay-and-play packages. You can also join their "Friends of McLemore" list which allows you to book a tee time during non-peak hours once per season. It's $150 for the round, worth it at least once in my opinion. 

I've played Sweeten's, Sewanee, and McLemore a bunch and I would probably rank Sweeten's third out of the three. Not that I don't like it, but the other places have attributes that Sweeten's lacks (incredible views, nice places to stay and good food). 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 4

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, WipeyFade said:

I was planning on taking a day trip to Sweetens this summer, but I was unsuccessful at securing a spot for the summer. Hopefully, they will have some cancelations. I love the course and the vibe there, are there any alternatives to Sweetens in the Southeast? I live in North Alabama and am looking for something within a 2-3 hour drive. I have looked at Mossy Oak and it looks similar, but I was looking for other options as well.

the manning name has made the course unobtainable, which is fine ... 'merica ... that corner between al/ga/tn has some nice land, and it would be awesome to see other 9 hole courses pop up that are unique/quirky/etc ... but golf has exploded in the pandemic, and that's a shame, i.e. i dgaf about growing the game ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tiderider said:

the manning name has made the course unobtainable, which is fine ... 'merica ... that corner between al/ga/tn has some nice land, and it would be awesome to see other 9 hole courses pop up that are unique/quirky/etc ... but golf has exploded in the pandemic, and that's a shame, i.e. i dgaf about growing the game ...

Ya, I know what you mean. When I tried to get a spot for the summer, their website had so many people on it I couldn't get a spot. I think they said they had 2,000 people on it at once trying to book days for the summer. They did say they were looking at other ways of booking their days in the future.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Crazy. We used to drive over without a tee time and not even have a wait..

Sewanee is a great course, highly recommend.

It’s crazy how popular it is. Maybe more courses will start following the Sweetens model. I think it says a lot to the fact that a golf course doesn’t need a lot of bells and whistles to be a great course. 

• Like 1

Just now, Volnut said:

If you're flexible on the dates, call and ask to get on their wait list. People cancel more frequently than you think. 

Ya, I’m still hopeful about this summer. I didn’t know they had a waitlist, I follow them on Instagram, and sometimes they will post about cancellations. I’m going there for the 2nd time in a couple of weeks, I’ll ask about the waiting list then. Thanks for the heads up. 

15 minutes ago, tim_harris said:

Not sure exactly what dates you are looking for but yesterday I was able to book a round for Thursday of this week.

I'm excited to finally get to play the course and hoping it lives up to all the hype since this will likely be my only time to get to play it.

Ya I'm hoping for a round this summer. I think it depends on your mindset whether it will live up to the hype or not. I played there back in the fall and when I got there I was told by one of the other players playing that day and he said that since it was my first time around I shouldn't worry about my score, lol. That was probably the best advice I could have gotten; I think I 5 putted the first green I putted on 😂. For me it was a great experience. I am heading back there next Tuesday, and can't wait. Let us know how the round goes.

30 minutes ago, tim_harris said:

Not sure exactly what dates you are looking for but yesterday I was able to book a round for Thursday of this week.

I'm excited to finally get to play the course and hoping it lives up to all the hype since this will likely be my only time to get to play it.

Have a good time! Make sure to ask which flags are the hard and which are easy (there are two flags on each green). You can alternate them or flip a coin or whatever. 

Since most days at Sweeten's involve several trips around the circuit my friends and I have done some creative formats to mix it up. Between all the different tee markers and flags you'll find that there are several ways to play each hole. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, WipeyFade said:

Ya I'm hoping for a round this summer. I think it depends on your mindset whether it will live up to the hype or not. I played there back in the fall and when I got there I was told by one of the other players playing that day and he said that since it was my first time around I shouldn't worry about my score, lol. That was probably the best advice I could have gotten; I think I 5 putted the first green I putted on 😂. For me it was a great experience. I am heading back there next Tuesday, and can't wait. Let us know how the round goes.

While I know I'll be tracking my score in my head my plan is to try and just to enjoy it.  It is already remote and then add in that I live in a remote area 9-10 hours away and it is difficult for me to have a chance to play.  I've tried to book a round there a few times while in the area but never had any luck.  We are in the Smokies this week and needed to adjust our plans due to rain predicted for later this week.  Checked their site and lucked in to the only available pass for Thursday so going to spend the majority of the day there playing while my wife and son hang out in Chattanooga.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tim_harris said:

Weather screwed me on this one….got the email yesterday that a hole or 2 would be closed + walking only.  Decided it wasn’t worth hanging around for an extra day in the area to not get the full experience so cancelled and headed back towards home.

Hopefully I’ll have a chance some other time.

Dang that stinks. I’m about 1.5 hours south of there and we have had a significant amount of rain the past couple of days and they are in a really low area. Maybe you will get a chance to play it again. Hopefully it will dry out by Tuesday, I’m taking my boys to play. 

Just now, smashdn said:

Regarding walking only, the course is relatively flat, built in a bottom off of a creek.  There isn't anything hard about walking it.

Definitely. OTOH if it's wet enough that they've closed a hole or two you can be pretty sure the rest of the course is mighty muddy. 

As you know there's nothing unusual about that around here this time of year. Every round I've played for the last month has been on muddy dormant Bermuda. Starting to see a little green in it now. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Enjoy your round.  I am at work and haven't got the clubs out of the garage yet this year.  Take in the vibe of the place.  I hope it is dried out some so you get some run on your shots.

Don't forget to get up on the mountain and try out Sewanee too.  Gil Hanse re-model that is also a fun walk.  There is an outstanding view to be had from up there too.

Yesterday was great. Hole 8 was closed, but Adam took 20% off the rate and didn’t charge me for the boys, so we played 18 for $35. The course was wet but not soggy. The reason #8 was closed was that they were putting in a drain, there were new drains all over the course. We finally got to putt on the practice green, we probably spent a total of an hour or more just putting. 

• Like 3

On 3/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, WipeyFade said:

Yesterday was great. Hole 8 was closed, but Adam took 20% off the rate and didn’t charge me for the boys, so we played 18 for $35. The course was wet but not soggy. The reason #8 was closed was that they were putting in a drain, there were new drains all over the course. We finally got to putt on the practice green, we probably spent a total of an hour or more just putting. 

I was also there last Tuesday, and agree it was fantastic. Not hard and fast like summer, but way better than the golf options up north have been and I definitely felt I got a flavor for Sweetens. What a fun spot, and just different enough every lap around to feel new. 

Thanks to the comments on this thread I caught Sewanee on Wednesday AM, 10/10 would recommend. From a pure golf course standpoint, maybe even more interesting than Sweetens and it was great to get two laps in there before 9:30. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

I may head up to Sewanee this summer, I’m only about 1.5 hrs away. I’m still holding out hope for a Sweetens round or 2 this summer though. Adam, the general manager, was saying that the only way to get on Sweetens without pre booking is to call the day before you can come. If they have cancellations they will let you come play. I’m in education so my summer is wide open, so they will be getting lots of phone calls from me this summer. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:01 PM, Mr. Grumpy said:

Crazy. We used to drive over without a tee time and not even have a wait..

Sewanee is a great course, highly recommend.

I have probably played sweetens 40 times.  Maybe only 5 since the new ownership.  Can’t get on like I used to.  I knew the previous owners but that didn’t matter.  Anytime or was driving to Chattanooga or ATL from Nash, I’d stop in.   I’d be one of maybe 5 people on the course.  Walking only back then, but it was pure bliss.  One time Baylor school team was out there but hardly ever during the work week would many be out there.   It was awesome 

played there  yesterday and it was nice.  Still cart path only.  

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 4

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

We played nine holes at Sewanee this morning. Forty degrees and breezy…oof. We were planning to play 18 but it started spitting snow. Weird weather for April. 

The course is in spotty shape at the moment. The fairways are still dormant and moist. The greens were recently aerated and a few of the fairway bunkers were washed out and unplayable. I’m sure once this weather passes they’ll get it whipped into shape but at the moment it’s not worth the drive. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

6 minutes ago, Chief Penguin said:

Can you really not just show up and be able to play on a weekday here? That seems wild.

I have a trip home at the end of June (I’m from a small town not too far away) and I was planning to take a day off and play Sweetens while I was there

Nope. They are completely booked for the summer and early fall. I would just call the day before you are going to be able to play and see if they have had some cancellations. I have been twice and it didn’t seem like they were at capacity either time, so maybe you will be able to get on. 

• Thanks 1

They're using such a different booking approach than most other courses, which makes me curious to know the real difference between how they're presenting the available times and how often they actually collect on a full tee sheet. 

If you go to the website and choose a date and time you'll usually strike out. But if you follow them on Instagram you'll sometimes see them encourage people to call to grab up cancellations or whatever. And if you catch the dude on the phone sometimes he'll tell you to come on out (albeit at the same high day rate as shown on the site). 

My guess is that a proportion of the days really are fully booked. There are also a lot of days when they're having special tournaments or corporate events. I'd be willing to be there are also days when he just needs a day off and shows all the times as "sold out." 

Whatever the real story is they've been very successful at moving the prestige and the price point upmarket without having to do much in the way of improvements. Good for them. I just suspect there's a difference between the impression they're sending and the reality on the ground when it comes to "tee times being sold out six months in advance."

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

21 minutes ago, me05501 said:

They're using such a different booking approach than most other courses, which makes me curious to know the real difference between how they're presenting the available times and how often they actually collect on a full tee sheet. 

If you go to the website and choose a date and time you'll usually strike out. But if you follow them on Instagram you'll sometimes see them encourage people to call to grab up cancellations or whatever. And if you catch the dude on the phone sometimes he'll tell you to come on out (albeit at the same high day rate as shown on the site). 

My guess is that a proportion of the days really are fully booked. There are also a lot of days when they're having special tournaments or corporate events. I'd be willing to be there are also days when he just needs a day off and shows all the times as "sold out." 

Whatever the real story is they've been very successful at moving the prestige and the price point upmarket without having to do much in the way of improvements. Good for them. I just suspect there's a difference between the impression they're sending and the reality on the ground when it comes to "tee times being sold out six months in advance."

From what I've heard there is essentially a "mad dash" when they open up the window to buy a daily pass, and they really do sell out almost immediately. 

However, just like any other course or resort they have people who book times and either cancel last minute or just don't show up. That is what causes those random posts and days when they have spots open up. Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, Bandon, and etc. are all similar in that if you live close by you can sometimes get lucky and get a tee time that someone else cancelled by calling the day before.

You are correct that they do a fair amount of outings where the course is more or less closed to outside play. That also contributes to the availability (or lack) of open spots.