Maltby KE4 Max - new and pretty clean Ultra Game Improvement iron...anybody hit it yet?

bogey69

• bogey69 changed the title to Maltby KE4 Max - new and pretty clean Ultra Game Improvement iron...anybody hit it yet?
9 hours ago, dhen9 said:

Had a chance a few weeks back when they just had some demo/Proto heads with Modus 105 S. They're better looking at address than you can imagine and feel as good as forged PTM. Currently have a set built sitting uo the hill at Works but not gonna be able to hit them until Weds. 

Thanks for that...what were your thoughts on performance, forgiveness, etc.

Only took a handful of cuts but forgiveness is there. The most amazing part will be how much forgiveness is in that chassis. Its a really good looking club and Britt and the crew have done a really masterful job of hiding the sole width and topline thickness. They killed the hosel transition to hide offset and topline is as clean as 0311XF, P, Titleist T300 or 921 HM and cleaner than G425. Pair that with STUPID GOOD MPF and you got a winner. As an added bonus the looks of the cavity are way cleaner than even the TS-2. I have had the Max wedges in play for a few weeks now and these will be a welcomed counterpart. I've owned/own quite a few brands and one could EASILY BE A MALTBY ONE BRAND PLAYER. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dhen9 said:

feel as good as forged PTM

Really? .... That is high praise as the PTM feel really good!  Forged 8620 vs. cast 17/4 .... I've always suggested feel is overrated as it relates to performance and have played some clunky CB in my day, so if these have a good feel that is a bonus.  Coming from the STi to the STi2....I am really curious how these compare!

• Like 1

Haven't tried them but they look pretty good for GI iron. I was thinking of building up the 5i (23*) as a possible replacement/alternate for my hybrid.

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

1 hour ago, dhen9 said:

Only took a handful of cuts but forgiveness is there. The most amazing part will be how much forgiveness is in that chassis. Its a really good looking club and Britt and the crew have done a really masterful job of hiding the sole width and topline thickness. They killed the hosel transition to hide offset and topline is as clean as 0311XF, P, Titleist T300 or 921 HM and cleaner than G425. Pair that with STUPID GOOD MPF and you got a winner. As an added bonus the looks of the cavity are way cleaner than even the TS-2. I have had the Max wedges in play for a few weeks now and these will be a welcomed counterpart. I've owned/own quite a few brands and one could EASILY BE A MALTBY ONE BRAND PLAYER. 

At your convenience, could you post a couple closeup pictures (back, top line)?  GW's stock photos never do justice to their club heads.  

Very intrigued by the KE4 Max. Been playing the TS1's for three years now.  Along with TSW wedges.  Both are excellent.  But I'd like to dabble into the UGI area, for the enhanced forgiveness during the inevitable erratic swing stretches.  The sole widths appear tolerable.  And the overall aesthetic is well executed.  My miss is towards the toe, and the 1.65 C-Dim of the Max (v. 1.39 of the TS1) may prove beneficial.  

Got no beef with longer heads or offset.  Just don't care for larger AND clunky.  They do appear to disguise it well.  Following for additional playability reports.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I built a set of 6-GW this week. One range session and one round. Agreed that they absolutely don’t look like a sgi at address. Feel is really good. They don’t seem as forgiving as my Gmax irons but definitely forgiving. I need to play with them some more to really assess.

Put them on Recoil graphite shafts. I’m typically a steel player so there’s some variance there, but these have a lower penetrating ball flight than I was expecting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyfra said:

I built a set of 6-GW this week. One range session and one round. Agreed that they absolutely don’t look like a sgi at address. Feel is really good. They don’t seem as forgiving as my Gmax irons but definitely forgiving. I need to play with them some more to really assess.

Put them on Recoil graphite shafts. I’m typically a steel player so there’s some variance there, but these have a lower penetrating ball flight than I was expecting.

What model of recoils?

Just finished my third round with these clubs on a 1400yd par-3 course (120-180yd) and I am in love with them.  Given the stronger lofts paired with the Rapport shafts, I am getting a higher launch than I expected and seems consist with what I am used to.  The spin seems fine as they held the greens well.  They feel very stable but there is not as much feedback as my 17 year old clubs gave me (no stinging hands).  They are well dampened. I did hit 8/9 tee shots pretty flush, and they did feel great.  They one shot that I knew I hit a little toward the toe still flew pin high, so there is some forgiveness there that I did not have in the old clubs.  The sound is a little more muffled than my old clubs but still sounds very good.  Still working out the distances and was windy, but seem a bit longer than my old clubs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Anyone else giving these a go?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

It has only been 3 weeks with mine, but I do not even think about going back to my old clubs.  With these, I feel confident pulling out the 4-iron.  My normal miss is slightly toward the toe.  I missed a couple yesterday that still found the green.  That did not happen with my "players" irons.  Great deal that I would put against any OEM club.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, ode said:

Really? .... That is high praise as the PTM feel really good!  Forged 8620 vs. cast 17/4 .... I've always suggested feel is overrated as it relates to performance and have played some clunky CB in my day, so if these have a good feel that is a bonus.  Coming from the STi to the STi2....I am really curious how these compare!

Definitely finding the sti2 to be a dull feeling club. Working well through. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

12 hours ago, Klubster said:

It has only been 3 weeks with mine, but I do not even think about going back to my old clubs.  With these, I feel confident pulling out the 4-iron.  My normal miss is slightly toward the toe.  I missed a couple yesterday that still found the green.  That did not happen with my "players" irons.  Great deal that I would put against any OEM club.

How have you found the short irons to play vs your previous clubs? And are the Rapport shafts stable feeling? Hoping they “play a little hravier” in that regard. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

19 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

How have you found the short irons to play vs your previous clubs? And are the Rapport shafts stable feeling? Hoping they “play a little hravier” in that regard. 

I find the shafts to be extremely stable.  I am not losing shots left or right any more then with my Dynamic Golds.  I do find the trajectory a little higher on the short irons, but not dramatically different.  Spin seems to be higher as the irons are sticking and not rolling out as much.  Played our 9 hole executive course league this morning and feeling more and more confident with them.  Shot 5 over but had two 3-putts, one in the lake and one left in the trap.  Can't blame that on the new irons.  Good swings yield good results.  I would buy these again.

Edited by Klubster
  • Thanks 1

Love my set after several range trips and a fun par 3 round with my youngest daughter.  I have them with the Score LT shafts which have always been very nice for me.  They look good (mask the fact that they are pretty much SGI), feel pretty good (despite being 17-4) and are very forgiving.  I have either sold or given away my other iron sets.

I did get the new milled wedges for the 52* and 56* slots and am very happy with those as well.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to placing my order. Just gonna build up a 6i with a NS Pro 950 shaft. I'm having them bend it 2* flat. If this works out I'll get the 4 and 5 irons as well and might even build up a blended set with the TS-2 for the 7 iron down.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

I built the KE4MAX 6, 7, 8 and 9 with Graphite Design G-Tech shafts a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good. Well, that's not quite right . . . so far, real good!

I was a little concerned about the advertised strong loft numbers, but, guess what, the irons are doing just what I want of them. Launch angles are what I am looking for.

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Just purchased a KE4Max Pak with Rapport shafts.   The looks of the club are strikingly good.  Not chunky looking at all.   I ordered them in swing weight D3, 2 degrees upright and they were delivered with swing weight D2, according to my Golf Works tool.  Fixed it with lead tape but with all the weight options available, they should get it right.  Two grams up was all that was needed.

I am not satisfied with performance after three rounds.  I can strike my JPX hot metal 919s with UST Recoil 460 shafts much more consistently and accurately - distance and direction, and they have returned to my bag.  This MPF comparison tells me the MPF isn't quite that good a club selection metric, and I was banking on it when I made the purchase.   I don't see me holding on to these KE4s.  I wish they hit as good as they look.  Hitting the green is hitting the green, and for that, my mizunos work much better!

• Like 1