2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2022 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 23-26)

3 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

That quick pushy stroke is IMO her nerves kicking in. Doesn't happen or seem to happen unless she's in close for an important putt.

It happens in her short game under pressure also. That Word not allowed pitch shot she cannon balled over the green was the same exact stroke as her yippy putts. She flinches right at contact. I'm not sure she comes all the way back.  Too much scar tissue. 

• Like 1

So, 2:50 to play the front nine, and then the announcers say they are on the clock.  More like the sundial.  Who was the slow player in that group?

Someone really needs to do something about PoP.  The talk about renegotiating TV contracts is moot until that gets solved.  They still went over the allotted TV time, and very few events are a big enough deal to stay on a main network over whatever is following.  

As for the person who said coaches like a challenge, so they stay with a player.  They like a paycheck.  Thompson took home $718k for finishing second.  That is a decent little percentage if that is their arrangement.  

25 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

So, 2:50 to play the front nine, and then the announcers say they are on the clock.  More like the sundial.  Who was the slow player in that group?

Someone really needs to do something about PoP.  The talk about renegotiating TV contracts is moot until that gets solved.  They still went over the allotted TV time, and very few events are a big enough deal to stay on a main network over whatever is following.  

As for the person who said coaches like a challenge, so they stay with a player.  They like a paycheck.  Thompson took home $718k for finishing second.  That is a decent little percentage if that is their arrangement.  

Both Lexi and Chin were fined $2000 for slow play.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2022/06/26/kpmg-womens-pga-lexi-thompson-fined-slow-play/7742506001/

• Sad 1

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

Seems like In Gee's ball speed is still right around 140 mph or low 90s swing speed.  She seems to fly it about 220-230, which is the same as when she was winning her two other majors a while back.

Will be interesting to see if she sticks with the 7 wood / 9 wood combo over the 19H and 22H?  For moderate swing speed players, do give them a try.  Over the years I think the fairway designs have improved so the high lofted ones just fly high.  Before the mid-to-late part of the last decade, even at these swing speeds the high lofted fairways tended to spin like crazy.

Wie also used a 25 degree fairway over the hybrids...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I don't know who Chin is, but if you meant Chun, she apparently did not get a fine. Choi did though.

My sincerest apologies for the typo.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, agolf1 said:

Seems like In Gee's ball speed is still right around 140 mph or low 90s swing speed.  She seems to fly it about 220-230, which is the same as when she was winning her two other majors a while back.

Will be interesting to see if she sticks with the 7 wood / 9 wood combo over the 19H and 22H?  For moderate swing speed players, do give them a try.  Over the years I think the fairway designs have improved so the high lofted ones just fly high.  Before the mid-to-late part of the last decade, even at these swing speeds the high lofted fairways tended to spin like crazy.

Wie also used a 25 degree fairway over the hybrids...

Michelle Wie used an 11-wood! 
https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/wies-secret-weapons-9-wood-and-11-wood 

Wouldn't most folks here prefer a similarly-lofted hybrid, over those fairway woods? (i think @Argonne69 has a couple of those FWs , albeit with heavenwood-style longer shafts?) Do you de-loft those FWs?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I don't know who Chin is, but if you meant Chun, she apparently did not get a fine. Choi did though.

Just from an eyeball test... isn't In Gee also perceived as a "not fast" player ... e.g. i thought i saw some earlier comments in this thread about In Gee's repeated checking of yardage book / belabored conversations with caddie Dean Herden?

(i.e. your observation that both Lexi & Choi received slow play fines, but not In Gee... made me think this might be the winner receiving benefit-of-doubt?). Not trolling, just interested in your observations.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Just from an eyeball test... isn't In Gee also perceived as a "not fast" player ... e.g. i thought i saw some earlier comments in this thread about In Gee's repeated checking of yardage book / belabored conversations with caddie Dean Herden?

(i.e. your observation that both Lexi & Choi received slow play fines, but not In Gee... made me think this might be the winner receiving benefit-of-doubt?). Not trolling, just interested in your observations.

This wasn't directed at me, but In Gee was definitely slow yesterday and not just on 16.  It wasn't as noticeable today, at least for as much as I have watched so far.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Honestly I wasn't really paying attention to how fast they were playing, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to do such a thing to the final group at a major. There's plenty of slow play going on out there, but they rarely get fined for it. Lizette and Carlota would be in debt to the tour by now.

You might be right on In Gee, maybe she got a pass today.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Lobby said:

Lots of handwringing over Lexi’s putting. Yet in spite of it it’s top 10 after top 10 for her

pretty impressive 

congrats to In Gee.  So happy for her

For better or worse, Lexi is at the talent level and point in her career where Top 10s don't really do much (other than for the bank account, which is nice).  I hate to see someone struggle but one has to call it like it is.  The separation between the very good and great are closing out today and last year's USWO.  Unfortunately for her, she didn't get it done and at her level I don't think the respective finishes are very impressive.

But In Gee, yes, so happy for her!

• Like 3

You can tell when she is in trouble, because she does a lot of nervous smiling at VERY strange times...like immediately after a bad hole.  And has she not learned her lesson about properly marking her ball....she STILL needlessly continues marking it from the side....I think she is soooo spooked by short putts that she thinks that even 1/2 inch closer will be an advantage to her.

Anyone else kind of hoping we'd see Minjee back door that thing and go back-to-back?!

Congrats to In Gee Chun. We couldn't have a more likable winner. She's always so in control, if just a little slow. From opening with a 64 and a huge lead to falling backwards to that nasty double-bogey on Saturday to standing on the 72nd hole with a 1-shot lead to a clutch drive and an immaculate 2-putt to finish the deal...what can you say? Great tournament. What a fight!

Disappointed for Minjee and especially sad for Lexi but she's got to clean up her game in those critical moments. Way too many dropped shots coming down the stretch to feel she earned anything besides that nice little $700k consolation prize! 🙂

• Like 2

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

Winner's Bag: In Gee Chun – KPMG Women's PGA

Jimmy Emanuel
in-gee-chun-witb.jpg

ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fsullydriver.jpg&c=0WINNING SCORE: Five-under-par, 283.

EQUIPMENT CHOICE:

DRIVER: PING G410 Plus with 9˚ loft, fitted with Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K White 50 S shaft.

7-WOOD: PING G425 MAX with 20.5˚ loft, with KBS TD 60 Cat 3 shaft.

9-WOOD: PING G425 MAX with 23.5˚ loft, with KBS TD 60 Cat 3 shaft.

HYBRID: PING G425, with KBS TD  shaft.

IRONS: PING i210 (5-iron to pitching wedge), with KBS PGi 90 shafts.

WEDGES: PING Glide 4.0 (50˚ S) and Edel DVR Grind (54˚ & 58˚), with Nippon Modus 105 wedge shafts.

PUTTER: PING 2021 Anser.

BALL: Srixon Z-Star.

FINAL LEADERBOARD

EQUIPMENT NOTES:

• ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fin-gee-chun-9-wood.jpg&c=0The South Korean followed the recent trend of moving to higher lofted fairway woods at major championships after a reconnaissance mission to the redesigned Congressional Country Club. Chun removed two hybrids from her bag to add a 7-wood and a 9-wood to her setup after working with PING to produce a higher flight with more spin. Saying she "made a lot of birdies with the 7-wood and 9-wood" during her opening round, Chun is not alone opting for a 9-wood. Dustin Johnson recently experimenting with one as well.

• The 27-year-old was clinical early in the week with her ball striking, and continues to use an iron model from PING released in 2018. Not actually replaced in the brand's line up since, the i210 is exceptionally popular with professional and amateur golfers alike due to its combination of control and forgiveness. The players cavity back model among the most popular on the LPGA Tour.

• ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fin-gee-chun-ball.jpg&c=0Now having three of the five women's majors in her collection, the player nicknamed 'Dumbo' by her junior coach gives Srixon golf balls a second straight women's major victory after Minjee Lee's U.S. Women's Open triumph. The brand used to win three of the last five grand slam events on the LPGA Tour.

QUOTE: “I used the 7-wood when I was really young. I think at the beginning to start golf. I don't know what age I stopped to use it, but I think almost more than ten years. The 9-wood, it's the first time to use.” – In Gee Chun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mokedaddy said:

That's terrible.  They are final group on the last day of a major.  Talk about rubbing salt on Lexi's wound. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HankScorpio said:

That's terrible.  They are final group on the last day of a major.  Talk about rubbing salt on Lexi's wound. 

It's actually not terrible at all--for any reason.

#1 - They were both guilty of (noticeable) slow play.

#2 - In Gee is walking away with $1.35M and Lexi is leaving with $719k.

• Like 2

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

19 minutes ago, HankScorpio said:

Yeah I think the fine was probably egregious.  The fact it was a pretty small amount is nothing more than a call out but will do nothing to actually have any meaningful effect..

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Like 1

The dollar amount of fines in almost all professional sports are a joke.  Suspend them or penalize their standing in the current event would be much better.

I also think it is a bad look if someone refuses to speak to the press.  Understand they may be disappointed or upset, but players want more money, all their complaints to be heard, all the glory when they win, etc.  Then also get the guts to stand up there and answer questions when things aren't going so well.

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Winner's Bag: In Gee Chun – KPMG Women's PGA

Jimmy Emanuel
in-gee-chun-witb.jpg

ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fsullydriver.jpg&c=0WINNING SCORE: Five-under-par, 283.

EQUIPMENT CHOICE:

DRIVER: PING G410 Plus with 9˚ loft, fitted with Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K White 50 S shaft.

7-WOOD: PING G425 MAX with 20.5˚ loft, with KBS TD 60 Cat 3 shaft.

9-WOOD: PING G425 MAX with 23.5˚ loft, with KBS TD 60 Cat 3 shaft.

HYBRID: PING G425, with KBS TD  shaft.

IRONS: PING i210 (5-iron to pitching wedge), with KBS PGi 90 shafts.

WEDGES: PING Glide 4.0 (50˚ S) and Edel DVR Grind (54˚ & 58˚), with Nippon Modus 105 wedge shafts.

PUTTER: PING 2021 Anser.

BALL: Srixon Z-Star.

FINAL LEADERBOARD

EQUIPMENT NOTES:

• ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fin-gee-chun-9-wood.jpg&c=0The South Korean followed the recent trend of moving to higher lofted fairway woods at major championships after a reconnaissance mission to the redesigned Congressional Country Club. Chun removed two hybrids from her bag to add a 7-wood and a 9-wood to her setup after working with PING to produce a higher flight with more spin. Saying she "made a lot of birdies with the 7-wood and 9-wood" during her opening round, Chun is not alone opting for a 9-wood. Dustin Johnson recently experimenting with one as well.

• The 27-year-old was clinical early in the week with her ball striking, and continues to use an iron model from PING released in 2018. Not actually replaced in the brand's line up since, the i210 is exceptionally popular with professional and amateur golfers alike due to its combination of control and forgiveness. The players cavity back model among the most popular on the LPGA Tour.

• ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fin-gee-chun-ball.jpg&c=0Now having three of the five women's majors in her collection, the player nicknamed 'Dumbo' by her junior coach gives Srixon golf balls a second straight women's major victory after Minjee Lee's U.S. Women's Open triumph. The brand used to win three of the last five grand slam events on the LPGA Tour.

QUOTE: “I used the 7-wood when I was really young. I think at the beginning to start golf. I don't know what age I stopped to use it, but I think almost more than ten years. The 9-wood, it's the first time to use.” – In Gee Chun.

I can't recall another major winner, whose next longest club after the driver was ~20* of loft.  Interesting setup for that course

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

I can't recall another major winner, whose next longest club after the driver was ~20* of loft.  Interesting setup for that course

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Also, can PING please put In Gee's name back on the main "Pros" webpage under LPGA?  Instead, they are going with Brooke (OK), Pernilla, and Azahara Munoz (possibly slower than In Gee, wonder if that got here the place)?

The ping website has been updated to show In Gee's 9-wood details. 

https://ping.com/en-us/pros/lpga-tour/in-gee-chun

image.png.5ff67370d51257b6e660517eb25daa89.png

• Like 2