2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2022 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 23-26)

3 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Seems like In Gee's ball speed is still right around 140 mph or low 90s swing speed.  She seems to fly it about 220-230, which is the same as when she was winning her two other majors a while back.

Will be interesting to see if she sticks with the 7 wood / 9 wood combo over the 19H and 22H?  For moderate swing speed players, do give them a try.  Over the years I think the fairway designs have improved so the high lofted ones just fly high.  Before the mid-to-late part of the last decade, even at these swing speeds the high lofted fairways tended to spin like crazy.

Wie also used a 25 degree fairway over the hybrids...

Stats say Chun driving distance is 251 with 77% fairway hit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

The ping website has been updated to show In Gee's 9-wood details. 

https://ping.com/en-us/pros/lpga-tour/in-gee-chun

image.png.5ff67370d51257b6e660517eb25daa89.png

Ahh.  Effective lofts are 19 and 22*.  So to me, those are 5 and 7 wood lofts, despite what is stamped on the soles.  Still an interesting setup, with no "long fairway club" and an assumed big yardage gap between that 22* and her 6 iron

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Ahh.  Effective lofts are 19 and 22*.  So to me, those are 5 and 7 wood lofts, despite what is stamped on the soles.  Still an interesting setup, with no "long fairway club" and an assumed big yardage gap between that 22* and her 6 iron

Yeah I’m not sure what is up with that.  The witb that was posted listed 5-p, and a hybrid that aren’t posted on the Ping website.  

edit: Ping only lists ten clubs and it seems most agree the sand and lob wedges are Edel so it seems there are two mystery clubs.

Edited by mokedaddy

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

55 minutes ago, mokedaddy said:

Yeah I’m not sure what is up with that.  The witb that was posted listed 5-p, and a hybrid that aren’t posted on the Ping website.  

edit: Ping only lists ten clubs and it seems most agree the sand and lob wedges are Edel so it seems there are two mystery clubs.

Refer Getty Images.  Looks like a TM Stealth fairway wood? (perhaps a 3/4 wood?)

@mokedaddy; Yes the Edel wedges = 54* and 58*?

There was also a 22* g425 hybrid listed in InGee's WITB on the Ping website (as recently as last Friday i.e. 2-3 days ago?)

KPMG Women's PGA Championship - Final Round

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/in-gee-chun-of-south-korea-plays-an-approach-shot-on-the-news-photo/1405263170?adppopup=true 

Quote:

"KPMG Women's PGA Championship - Final Round

BETHESDA, MARYLAND - JUNE 26: In Gee Chun of South Korea plays an approach shot on the ninth hole during the final round of the KPMG Women's PGA Championship at Congressional Country Club on June 26, 2022 in Bethesda, Maryland. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)"

KPMG Women's PGA Championship - Round Three
Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

KPMG Women's PGA Championship - Final Round

Quote:

Makes sense.  I would think they all play a long fairway wood.

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

2 hours ago, khalespace said:

Stats say Chun driving distance is 251 with 77% fairway hit.

I think the carry distance is accurate/ties out to the total; I've always thought LPGA is getting 20-25 yards of roll on average of the course of the season.  Obviously, any particular hole could be < 5 yards or 50 yards depending on elevation, slopes, and turf conditions.

7 hours ago, Cwebb said:

It also appears that the shaft length is 42.25 which equates to a Ping 5 wood length; and in both clubs.   I've played a 7 wood with a 5 wood shaft for years...high long and straight. 

Same idea as a present day HeavenWood by Cally - around 20.5 loft with a 5 wood length shaft?   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Also, can PING please put In Gee's name back on the main "Pros" webpage under LPGA?  Instead, they are going with Brooke (OK), Pernilla, and Azahara Munoz (possibly slower than In Gee, wonder if that got here the place)?

She's back on the Ping LPGA page.

https://ping.com/en-us/pros/lpga-tour

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

In Gee's driving distance tanked a few years ago, but it's back to where she was when she came on tour. I spoke with her coach two years ago, and he said her driver had too much spin. She was playing the G400 LST at the time, and even with the low spin head the ball was basically falling out of the air. With the G410 Plus she seems to have reduced the spin, and picked up the lost yardage.

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I don't root against anyone - and am glad for In Gee's win.  Impressive first 3 days, and she fought back on the 4th day and won the tournament.   She got some good luck at the end IMO - and she deserved it.  A worthy winner. 

That being said - if I'm honest - I was hoping for a playoff with Minjee and Lexi - and thought for a moment it was possible.   In Gee's last full swing - the ball very well could (should?) have gone off the green.  The lie of that fairway is down grade, and also sloping left...it is steeper than it appears on tv.   The play for that pin is to bounce it on the front of the green and let it roll down.  If you play it normal - the lie and lean of the fairway makes the ball come out lower and lefter.  Add to that, the green and pin position - if you don't hit the top level - you're usually off the green.   From the video it looks like she did not hit it cleanly and the ball landed on the down grade and bounced forward.  Somehow the spin caught the ball just in time - and saved it from going in.  Usually if it hits the grass - it's gone.  But luck counts and she played so well to fight back she deserved the luck IMO.   But for a moment there I thought Minjee might be back in it!    By the same token, maybe Lexi makes the putt... and if my uncle had boobs he'd be my aunt...!   Congrats to In Gee.  What I liked is her elegance and honesty afterwards.  I hope she keeps winning.

Edited by ChipDriver
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChipDriver said:

I don't root against anyone - and am glad for In Gee's win.  Impressive first 3 days, and she fought back on the 4th day and won the tournament.   She got some good luck at the end IMO - and she deserved it.  A worthy winner. 

That being said - if I'm honest - I was hoping for a playoff with Minjee and Lexi - and thought for a moment it was possible.   In Gee's last full swing - the ball very well could (should?) have gone off the green.  The lie of that fairway is down grade, and also sloping left...it is steeper than it appears on tv.   The play for that pin is to bounce it on the front of the green and let it roll down.  If you play it normal - the lie and lean of the fairway makes the ball come out lower and lefter.  Add to that, the green and pin position - if you don't hit the top level - you're usually off the green.   From the video it looks like she did not hit it cleanly and the ball landed on the down grade and bounced forward.  Somehow the spin caught the ball just in time - and saved it from going in.  Usually if it hits the grass - it's gone.  But luck counts and she played so well to fight back she deserved the luck IMO.   But for a moment there I thought Minjee might be back in it!    By the same token, maybe Lexi makes the putt... and if my uncle had boobs he'd be my aunt...!   Congrats to In Gee.  What I liked is her elegance and honesty afterwards.  I hope she keeps winning.

Maybe things have changed a bit but I remember Tom Lehman's approach to what then was the 71st hole.  Not over the green but going left from the start...

1 hour ago, Rustbelt said:

Congratulations to In Gee Chun.  She now has 3 different majors.  She has most majors by active players besides Karrie Webb and Inbee Park.  Amazingly, she has third most majors by Korean players with 3. 

Would be dissapointing if both Lydia and Jin Young end up retiring with the same # of majors at Brittany Lincicome. 

• Sad 1

It was nice to see Dean get his 2nd major win with In Gee. They make a good team. He was on her bag for her USWO victory. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Calling In Gee lucky is like calling Lexi unlucky.  Pure class and grit from In Gee two putting from off the back for the win. 

In Gee played the back nine in one under par. Don't see how luck played into it. She made clutch putts when they were needed. 

• Like 2

This ~5min video provides a "spectators eye view" of R4 at the KPMG Women's PGA yesterday.

2nd video Link here ( https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6zMHLWHvIQ8 ) = In Gee's post-victory short video message in Korean to her fans (i see some of the Flying Dumbos in the video background).

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

In Gee played the back nine in one under par. Don't see how luck played into it. She made clutch putts when they were needed. 

Yeah, the approach shot on 18 was actually Un-lucky, in that hit the top/down slope of a small knob on the front of the green, which caused it to kick all the way to the back

• Like 1

17 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Bet her on what? That she could not break and still win?

Beat her is what I meant. 

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

37 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Yeah, the approach shot on 18 was actually Un-lucky, in that hit the top/down slope of a small knob on the front of the green, which caused it to kick all the way to the back

Agree.  It was lucky it checked, and stayed on the green.

In golf and life - your round(s)/tournament is comprised of ALL bounces - lucky, and unlucky...does anyone remember In Gee on 15 the day before???  LOL   If you win - it's earned, as well as deserved.   Well done In Gee.

7 minutes ago, mshills said:

Agree totally.

The slow play clock and subsequent fines are absolutely bush-league.  Final group, final round of a major tournament just shows a lack of situational awareness from so many perspectives.

Then GolfWRX piles on with this cheap shot headline.  It's clickbait, and WRX is better than that.  Behavior?  What "behavior"?  Unwillingness to speak to the press and answer deep, meaningful questions like "explain to me how did you FEEL missing those putts"?

"Lexi Thompson’s behavior following Women’s PGA defeat sparks fierce debate"

This site has just become corporate shill site since their " Partnership" with the PGA Tour.

Too bad, it was more enjoyable before.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I (internet golf expert watching from a recliner) thinks Lexi should try a super heavy more blade type putter at like 400 grams or something instead of super hot faced mallets to slow down her hands on twitchy short putts under pressure.    Cobra has a King Widesport putter that she should try right now. 

• Haha 1