Electric Cart -Talk me into or out of a remote

RCGA

I'm on my second MGI, and we have six of them in a group of eight. As mentioned, they are sensitive to wet weather, it's the top control box as much as anything as the water can pool a little and work it's way in. We've had one Navigator die that way. Having said that, we generally have an umbrella up anyway as we play all winter through the rain and I use a rain bag full time anyway. If we didn't play in the rain, we wouldn't play for six months of the year! I just pull my towel across the top box to keep the worst of it off.

As to the remote debate, I've used a Zip X5 for several years before getting a Navigator and wouldn't go back to a non remote if I could help it. It's just too convenient. I mean you can still use it controlling it on the handle, I tend to navigate between greens and tees this way, whereas my playing partner uses the remote all of the time. My home course has pretty wide flat fairways so I tend to just send it zooming ahead and don't pay too much attention to it.

The other thing others have mentioned with the non remote was my X5 was kind of between speeds for my normal walk, it drove me nuts. 

One of the single best things is helping playing partners look for balls. They yank one left in long rough and my ball is down the middle. I just send my buggy up the fairway and I peel off to help look without having take my buggy with me.

• Like 3

They did the Alphard V2 right. Just don't be an idiot and drive it into a pond. Rain? Snow? No issue. The battery and unit being close to the ground is bound to get wet, and they designed it with that in mind. 

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

11 hours ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Thanks for your insight. All reviews and comparisons I've read mentioned that the MGI shouldn't be used in the rain. 

It also says this on their site: 

• Damage caused by partial or complete ingress of water into motor/gearbox and other major components.

Appreciate your experiences.

I think that statement would qualify as boilerplate that would be true of every electric cart manufacturer.  MGI makes it clear that their carts are designed to be used in ALL weather conditions, and they also make it clear that using pressure to clean the cart, or immersion in water, shouldn’t happen.  I can’t imagine any manufacturer NOT saying the same things, but I’m too lazy to look.

When I had a breakdown on my Zip Navigator, they correctly diagnosed the problem as a failed motor controller.  They sent me a new one ant no charge, along with links to videos about how to do the repair, and never asked if water was involved. 

I will be the lone voice for no on the remote. I had different priorities.

1. I wanted was to have my bag carried and a battery capable of 36 holes. 
2. Variable speed allows me to dial in my pace. 
3. Didn’t want to lose a remote or mess with another device requiring a battery or fiddle with it during a round. 
4. Needed to fold up small. 

bought a QOD. One hand on it most of the time. When flat, can just walk beside it or send it down range for 10-30 seconds. 

The only thing I don’t like about it is the front telescoping wheels are not as rigid as I think they could be. I know it is design intent and I’ve never had an issue even running over roots and other bumpy terrain but it is something I would like to see improved upon. It would not prevent me from recommending the unit. 

For sure the QOD is not nearly as stable as the wide footprint 3 and 4 wheeled competitors. One must be somewhat diligent and maintain contact. But like I said earlier, it’s usually one hand unless going up a steep incline.

The simple on-off plus speed was enough for me. 

7 hours ago, bluedot said:

I think that statement would qualify as boilerplate that would be true of every electric cart manufacturer.  MGI makes it clear that their carts are designed to be used in ALL weather conditions, and they also make it clear that using pressure to clean the cart, or immersion in water, shouldn’t happen.  I can’t imagine any manufacturer NOT saying the same things, but I’m too lazy to look.

When I had a breakdown on my Zip Navigator, they correctly diagnosed the problem as a failed motor controller.  They sent me a new one ant no charge, along with links to videos about how to do the repair, and never asked if water was involved. 

Look, I'm not trying to say the MGI is bad or offend anyone thats got one. I'm happy you've had great experience with the company during your 2 issues.

This is what their site says:

"MGI buggies are designed to be used in all conditions however a level of caution is required when operating your buggy in wet conditions.

When playing in wet conditions, we recommend carrying a hand towel to wipe away any excessive water from the top box"

Thats enough for me to take my $2k elsewhere. When it rains I don't need to worry about wiping a cart down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Look, I'm not trying to say the MGI is bad or offend anyone thats got one. I'm happy you've had great experience with the company during your 2 issues.

This is what their site says:

"MGI buggies are designed to be used in all conditions however a level of caution is required when operating your buggy in wet conditions.

When playing in wet conditions, we recommend carrying a hand towel to wipe away any excessive water from the top box"

Thats enough for me to take my $2k elsewhere. When it rains I don't need to worry about wiping a cart down.

One of the reasons I have an X9.  I wash/spray it, lightly, with a garden hose. I try not to spray the "black box".  I've had it going on 4 years without a problem. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, Loose_Ferrule said:

How was the M7?

I like to carry but also want to have the option of the remote caddy. Had an E-wheels V2 and it was a great unit but the assembly/disassembly was less than ideal for my liking. Want a 1pc unit that folds nicely as I'm also limited on storage space.

Love it so far, the remote thing takes some getting used to but after my third round today it wasn’t as “weird” as it was when I started. Thing is built like a tank which I would expect after 5 years with the M3.

And FWIW I went with Motocaddy years ago after seeing they are the main rental brand in Scotland. I can’t imagine having to be that cautious about my cart out in the wet weather.

Anyway loving it so far.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

14 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Love it so far, the remote thing takes some getting used to but after my third round today it wasn’t as “weird” as it was when I started. Thing is built like a tank which I would expect after 5 years with the M3.

And FWIW I went with Motocaddy years ago after seeing they are the main rental brand in Scotland. I can’t imagine having to be that cautious about my cart out in the wet weather.

Anyway loving it so far.

Thanks dc appreciate the feedback.

Enjoy in good health and make lots of birdies!

Edited by Loose_Ferrule

15 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Anyway loving it so far.

Just got a used M7R after using MGI AT for 2 years.

One thing I found weird on M7 is once I start the cart from the manual mode and if use the remote while it is moving, it stops after a few seconds.

Did you notice this?

It was not like this on MGI...

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5'

3 Wood: TaylorMade BRNR 13.5'

5 & 7 Woods: Mizuno ST-X 18' & 21'
Irons (4-PW): Mizuno MP-33s
Wedges: Vokey SM8 50/10M & SM9 54/12D
PutterToulon Garage Chicago H1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m seriously considering the Alphard V2 and was curious from owners here, how long does the battery last per charge?  There are times on the weekend I like to play 36 holes a day,  The courses I play are mostly flat. 

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

On 5/31/2023 at 9:16 PM, NJBigFish22 said:

I’m seriously considering the Alphard V2 and was curious from owners here, how long does the battery last per charge?  There are times on the weekend I like to play 36 holes a day,  The courses I play are mostly flat. 

I think they advertise it as good for 27 holes. The battery life indicator is 5 lights and I still have 3 lights after 18 on a relatively flat - easy to walk course. I've only had mine for about 10 rounds though - likely gets worse over time.

• Thanks 1
  • TSI 3 - 9* - RDX Smoke Blue - 6.0
  • TS3 - 16.5* - GD DI Black - 8S
  • TSI 2 Hybrid - 19* - Ventus Blue - 9X
  • TSR 2 Hybrid - 23* - Ventus Blue - 10X
  • ZX 4 Iron - 23* - GD Utility Black - 95S
  • T150 - 5 Iron - Modus 120S Black
  • T100 - 6 thru GW - Modus 120S Black
  • SM9 - 55* D - ACCRA i Wedge - 130g
  • WW - LB 60* ACCRA i Wedge - 130g
  • SC - Squareback - Long Plumbers Neck (Embrace)

On 5/31/2023 at 11:16 PM, NJBigFish22 said:

On a relatively flat course, it's 27-30 holes. I would buy a backup battery to keep in your bag to swap on those 36 hole days. 

• Thanks 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

43 minutes ago, Imp said:

On a relatively flat course, it's 27-30 holes. I would buy a backup battery to keep in your bag to swap on those 36 hole days. 

Thanks.  I have considered the second battery idea.  Would be easy to swap in between rounds or keep in the bag.  

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

12 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Thanks.  I have considered the second battery idea.  Would be easy to swap in between rounds or keep in the bag.  

Swapping is as easy as undoing the clamps, rotating the unit, pulling/replacing battery and reversing. Takes a minute at most.

So I had the same Q before I bought my old Motocaddy but why would you get an Alphard - or similar type system - when you could buy an all in one in the same price range? Is it basically to just make use of the push cart that you have already?

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

4 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

So I had the same Q before I bought my old Motocaddy but why would you get an Alphard - or similar type system - when you could buy an all in one and the same price range? Is it basically to just make use of the push cart that you have already?

I have been looking at both, even if you buy a cart for $150 and the $800 Alphard you’re still $5-600 cheaper.  Now I know over time that cost is minimal provided the Motocaddy lasts several years, but cost difference is a consideration for some.

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

3 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I have been looking at both, even if you buy a cart for $150 and the $800 Alphard you’re still $5-600 cheaper.  Now I know over time that cost is minimal provided the Motocaddy lasts several years, but cost difference is a consideration for some.

Got it, didn't realize it was a remote model. Was just surprised to see how low priced (relative term, sure) some of the non-remote models are now.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 5/6/2023 at 11:01 PM, Mudguard said:

I'm on my second MGI, and we have six of them in a group of eight. As mentioned, they are sensitive to wet weather, it's the top control box as much as anything as the water can pool a little and work it's way in. We've had one Navigator die that way. Having said that, we generally have an umbrella up anyway as we play all winter through the rain and I use a rain bag full time anyway. If we didn't play in the rain, we wouldn't play for six months of the year! I just pull my towel across the top box to keep the worst of it off.

As to the remote debate, I've used a Zip X5 for several years before getting a Navigator and wouldn't go back to a non remote if I could help it. It's just too convenient. I mean you can still use it controlling it on the handle, I tend to navigate between greens and tees this way, whereas my playing partner uses the remote all of the time. My home course has pretty wide flat fairways so I tend to just send it zooming ahead and don't pay too much attention to it.

The other thing others have mentioned with the non remote was my X5 was kind of between speeds for my normal walk, it drove me nuts. 

One of the single best things is helping playing partners look for balls. They yank one left in long rough and my ball is down the middle. I just send my buggy up the fairway and I peel off to help look without having take my buggy with me.

You in the Pacific NW?

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

18 hours ago, bakalao1 said:

So after reading this thread, I´m ready to pull the trigger on that Alphard V2.

I´m thinking on getting the Caddytek Caddylite V8 with front swivel wheel for about $150 to pair with it. Any thoughts on that cart, or should I go for the Rovic?

Good call with deciding to go for the Alphard V2, bakalao1. I'd like to recommend the Clicgear line of golf carts based on my 3 years of use. I've been using the V1 that I upgraded to V2 (motherboard upgrade) paired with the Clicgear 3.5+ that I also upgraded from single to dual front wheel kit from Alphard.

Based on my firsthand experience, the Alphard unit has taken a lot of serious abuse (including wet weather, rocks, bumps, deep holes from my use) and is still rolling. I've also managed to crack the right wheel front swivel part of my Clicgear cart that happened by going full speed and hitting a golf cart. I think that the cart is well-built to sustain just minor damage due to my negliigence.

Customer service was also great and very responsive, providing me with the replacement part free of charge w/in 5 days of the accident.

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

On 6/13/2023 at 11:28 PM, Golfbit2X said:

Good call with deciding to go for the Alphard V2, bakalao1. I'd like to recommend the Clicgear line of golf carts based on my 3 years of use. I've been using the V1 that I upgraded to V2 (motherboard upgrade) paired with the Clicgear 3.5+ that I also upgraded from single to dual front wheel kit from Alphard.

Based on my firsthand experience, the Alphard unit has taken a lot of serious abuse (including wet weather, rocks, bumps, deep holes from my use) and is still rolling. I've also managed to crack the right wheel front swivel part of my Clicgear cart that happened by going full speed and hitting a golf cart. I think that the cart is well-built to sustain just minor damage due to my negliigence.

Customer service was also great and very responsive, providing me with the replacement part free of charge w/in 5 days of the accident.

Thanks for answering. I went for the Caddytek due to price ($150) and because It had the swivel front wheel so It saves me another $90 from the conversion kit.

I´m gonna have to wait at least 2 week to try them, because when I ordered the V2 they did not warn me that they were out of stock, and it seems that they´ll be restocking around end of the month. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

Just got my M7 todany. I charged my remote and pulled out the charger and the piece that goes into the remote broke already. Anyone know what type of charger the remote uses? Thanks guys. Taking it out tomorrow AM will give a review after.

The remote is charged by a generic mini usb.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.02.50 AM.png

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5'

3 Wood: TaylorMade BRNR 13.5'

5 & 7 Woods: Mizuno ST-X 18' & 21'
Irons (4-PW): Mizuno MP-33s
Wedges: Vokey SM8 50/10M & SM9 54/12D
PutterToulon Garage Chicago H1