Electric Cart -Talk me into or out of a remote

RCGA

I have an E Wheels V2 on my Clic Gear 4 (w the 4 wheel upgrade).  50% of the time I use the tether, but I often use the remote just as much.  Honestly you're overthinking it.  Just get it going down the fairway, enjoy the walk, and maneuver it close to you when you need to pull a club.  It's so natural, I don't sweat it.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus TR Blue 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping G430 4H, Ventus HB Blue 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ping Hoofer Lite

I've played a lot of rounds without even touching my cart once. The X9 is a great cart. I use follow mode 99% of the time.  I touched it once today as I was going across a long narrow bridge and decided to be behind it for some reason.  I normally just let it follow across this bridge. It was the only time I touched the cart in 18 holes.  

Oh my, the Stewart Q Follow is the absolute best piece golf equipment I have. I play on a fairly hilly course and as long as I keep in mind it likes to stay even, I’ve never had it fall on me. 

The feeling of getting off the first tee and then just waltzing straight down the fairway, as my bag follows behind me is blissful. I am lazy and would never walk a course with a push cart or carry a bag. This has made me enjoy golf at a different level as you feel the course and play more considered golf. 

I was down to another remote cart and the Q Follow. The follow feature was the biggest differentiator and I’m really glad I got it. There are some times I navigate my cart around the back of a green using just the remote and while I’m competent with it, it’s not something I find I can do absentmindedly. 

As long as you don’t push the cart too far, and your bag is in spec for weight, it’s perfect. And that they now have CPO? Buy it and don’t look back 😉

Just to add, I think most people are satisfied with their motorized carts because it is much better than the alternative of carrying/pushing. That said, I think the difference between the follow feature and a standard remote is equally as big a jump between motorized and manual labor. 

Edited by Golfcrzy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 8:27 PM, llewol007 said:

3B7F8316-C288-4669-83F9-484AC523A18D.jpeg.cd091beee6ad6574d5ada3028431525b.jpegI’ve played one round on a hilly course with my motorized cart and I decided to return it after that. Not once but three times did the thing topple backwards. Add to that the side to side motion that had me on edge the whole entire round. It felt like I was baby sitting my cart the whole round. I had the remote and still that was not a pleasant experience. If I were you, I would get an alphard and get a clic gear. Much more stable and with the remote that I use along with getting the two wheel adaptor in front, It was much more stable on a hilly course. Like others have said, you need a remote if you have a motorized electric cart. Mine has the tether feature but it just seems odd to me rather than maneuvering it with your hand held remote. Here is my cart now

Looking at this exact set up!

I assume you like it.

what is a tether?

1 hour ago, Golfnfryguy said:

Looking at this exact set up!

I assume you like it.

what is a tether?

The tether is a piece of rope like material that attaches to you. It follows you around. There are videos on the alphard website that shows it’s capabilities.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 9:54 AM, llewol007 said:

The tether is a piece of rope like material that attaches to you. It follows you around. There are videos on the alphard website that shows it’s capabilities.

It's a wire. They also have a new version without the tether. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

On 8/31/2022 at 11:29 AM, RCGA said:

Update: I got the Alphard eWheels. It's amazing. The remote took about 5 minutes to master. Everything feels fresher; walking off hole 18 with a remote cart feels like walking off #9 with a push cart. 

Couldn't imagine not having a remote now.  

how long does it take to set up and take down? 

3 minutes ago, Jlender21 said:

I have the V1  but it's doesn't really much longer than any other push cart to set up and take down.   

Unfold the push cart, set the  ewheels behind it, set the brackets on the ewheels, lock, the clamp.   put your bag on the cart.   

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Nike VR Pro Combo 5-9 iron

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

2 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

My push-cart is really quick to set up. Under 30 seconds from the point I open my trunk to the point my bag is on the cart. Maybe even less if I really try and be efficient with it. Jerk it fully open, slap on the bag and you're gone. 

The V1 probably takes me a minute from trunk to walking to the first tee. There's some slight fiddling with the brackets and the anti tip wheels. You need to think about how everything is organized in your trunk. Bag comes out first, then the cart, then the wheels. Cart hooks to the wheels, then the safeties, then the bag. Turn it on, check the remote and go. 

It's slower than alternative all in one solutions, but I'll gladly save $1k. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

10 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

I have a V1 also that I've upgraded to a V2 with a Clicgear 3.5+ upgraded to 4 wheels.

I'm not as fast as the other guys in this forum but I timed myself today and it took me 12 minutes and 37 seconds. 

I guess it takes me a bit longer because I do have to snap on more than a few things (see list below) that can't be left attached when the Clicgear cart is in storage mode:

(1) Small cup holder

(2) Large cup holder

(3) GPS pouch

(4) Auxiliary (backup) battery pouch

(5) Clicgear Seat

(6) Coffee cup holder

(7) Waterproof Crivit storage bag (waterproof)

(8) Club washer

(9) Alphard Sidekick (autonomous unit)

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Haha 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:44 PM, Golfbit2X said:

After a season of using it that way, I finally decided to fix the problem myself and created a second battery port connector by drilling through the front side to allow a second external battery connection.

Almost short-circuited the whole thing reversing the polarity but I was eventually successful in making it work. Now, when I use up the internal battery, I simply plug-in the second (external) battery. 

So now I'm always confident that I will have enough battery power even if the course is hilly.

Could you share a few pics of what you did?   My battery was  ok last season, but having some options would be nice.  

• Like 1

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

I don't have one, but I am thinking about getting one.  Several players at our course have remote/GPS controlled carts, they're awesome....some even 'walk' the perimeter of the greens.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

6 hours ago, ericschlukebir said:

Could you share a few pics of what you did?   My battery was  ok last season, but having some options would be nice.  

Hi ericschlukebir, full disclosure, I consider the external battery port upgrade that I completed a project that requires at least 3-4 hours of your time as it requires a bit of "McGyver DIY skills". 

However, I think that you may be fortunate to have an easier option available which is just to buy the higher capacity internal battery (link: https://alphardgolf.com/collections/replacement-products/products/v1-battery-5-2ah).

With that being said, if you are still interested in adding a battery port, I've included a pdf file in this post that lists the parts and equipment you will need to successfully install a second battery port to allow an auxiliary/backup external battery.

Please note that I'm assuming that the following items/conditions have been met or is currently available to you:
   [1] Power drill
   [2] Upgraded V2 motherboard installed on Alphard V1 eWheels Club Booster
   [3] V1 motherboard
   [4] Spare internal battery
   [5] Glue gun
   [6] Duct tape
   [7] Marine board, .25"
   [8] External battery case (Repurposed insulated drink holder available at the PGA Superstore)
   [9] Dremel multipurpose tool (to shape marine board for motherboard housing)

In addition, you will also need to complete two side projects related to the following:
    [1] Upgrading the auxiliary external battery to provide protection against external elements like moisture and vibration and installation of in-line fuse and connectors
    [2] Repurpose the V1 motherboard by creating a housing (marine board) for the V1 motherboard.

Please be aware that undertaking this project may invalidate your Alphard V1 eWheels Club Booster manufacturer's warranty. Also, incorrect polarity connections may cause a short circuit and permanently disable your equipment.

Whichever decision you take, I'd still like to know how it worked out for you so please share your experience. Good luck!

PROJECT_ Adding_Auxiliary external battery_Alphard V2 eWheels Club Booster [copyv2].pdf

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

So guys who bought wheels over MgI or motocaddy... Any regrets?

I walk almost all my rounds and a rovic1s plus an ewheels is so tempting. 

I play maybe 30-40 times a year, depending on weather and my schedule. Riding is $15. Figured worst case pay back is 2.5 years then after that I'm saving hundreds per year while coming out of each round fresher.

In the summer walking 7 miles when it's 90* out can be tough while huffing or pushing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I walk almost all my rounds and a rovic1s plus an ewheels is so tempting. 

I play maybe 30-40 times a year, depending on weather and my schedule. Riding is $15. Figured worst case pay back is 2.5 years then after that I'm saving hundreds per year while coming out of each round fresher.

In the summer walking 7 miles when it's 90* out can be tough while huffing or pushing. 

No regrets for me. However, walking may not be a good fit for everyone and I'm assuming that this will only work for able-bodied golfers. 

I also agree with you that walking during high heat days is oppressive and may be detrimental to your health so I have opted to ride on these days to avoid dangers of heat stroke and cramps.

With that being said, the bottomline is I've managed savings of $ 2,729.24 (2 years) +  health benefit of additional 5 years of life expectancy. See details below.

Assuming an estimated investment of $1,000.00 for a brand new Clicgear push cart and an Alphard V2 eWheels Club Booster, you may expect recouping your investment after a year of use.

NYT article: [https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/sports/golf/golf-walking-vs-carts-exercise.html] that may or may not already been shared in this forum on the benefits of walking compared to riding. Walkers will gain an additional 5 years of life expectancy based on a Swedish medical study compared to riders.

Savings as a walker compared to riding a golf cart:

Alphard eWheels Club Booster (used) + Clic Gear 3.5+ (used) investment: $438.76

Golf cart rental (18 holes): $44.00
2021: 6 months / 24 weeks / at least 24 days of golf

2021: $ 1,056.00 (24 x $44)
2022: $ 2,112.00 (48 x $44) (12 x 4=48 weeks) 
Total savings since purchase: $ 2,729.24 ($3,168.00 - $438.76)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Golfbit2X said:

No regrets for me. However, walking may not be a good fit for everyone and I'm assuming that this will only work for able-bodied golfers. 

I also agree with you that walking during high heat days is oppressive and may be detrimental to your health so I have opted to ride on these days to avoid dangers of heat stroke and cramps.

With that being said, the bottomline is I've managed savings of $ 2,729.24 (2 years) +  health benefit of additional 5 years of life expectancy. See details below.

Assuming an estimated investment of $1,000.00 for a brand new Clicgear push cart and an Alphard V2 eWheels Club Booster, you may expect recouping your investment after a year of use.

NYT article: [https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/sports/golf/golf-walking-vs-carts-exercise.html] that may or may not already been shared in this forum on the benefits of walking compared to riding. Walkers will gain an additional 5 years of life expectancy based on a Swedish medical study compared to riders.

Savings as a walker compared to riding a golf cart:

Alphard eWheels Club Booster (used) + Clic Gear 3.5+ (used) investment: $438.76

Golf cart rental (18 holes): $44.00
2021: 6 months / 24 weeks / at least 24 days of golf

2021: $ 1,056.00 (24 x $44)
2022: $ 2,112.00 (48 x $44) (12 x 4=48 weeks) 
Total savings since purchase: $ 2,729.24 ($3,168.00 - $438.76)

I'm relatively able bodied, I'm 35 and walked most of the time last year with a bag on my back.

I'm really looking for the rovic1s bc of the swivel wheel and I can't find any used for the life of me. Same with a used v2... Where are you finding this?

3 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'm relatively able bodied, I'm 35 and walked most of the time last year with a bag on my back.

I'm really looking for the rovic1s bc of the swivel wheel and I can't find any used for the life of me. Same with a used v2... Where are you finding this?

I got mine from Facebook marketplace.

I also want to add that based on my actual use, I can vouch for the toughness of my the Alphard upgraded V2 eWheels Club Booster unit. 

I've had a couple of serious accidents w/ my equipment with the second incident involving a front impact at full speed into a golf cart and the unit was not damaged at all. 

However, I had to replace broken parts on my Clicgear cart which was pretty easy to do. I also give 5 stars out of 5 stars for customer support to Alphard and Clicgear support (same company) as they have responded quickly to my requests in the past.

Edited by Golfbit2X

8 hours ago, Golfbit2X said:

Whichever decision you take, I'd still like to know how it worked out for you so please share your experience. Good luck!

PROJECT_ Adding_Auxiliary external battery_Alphard V2 eWheels Club Booster [copyv2].pdf 412.18 kB · 2 downloads

wow, thanks for sharing.   that is a lot more involved than I expected. I thought it was going to be fairly simple.   I don't even understand all that you have going on there, but it's well beyond what I'm going to take on.   

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 7:34 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

Biggest issue is that I get an electrical whine out of my unit. Others have reported this as well. I haven't looked into fixes yet but if anyone has a solution please share. 

Second would be that the roll-back safeties are a bit of a PITA to install/remove. Id prefer an option to just leave them installed all the time.  Expanding on this, I wish I could just fold up the entire unit (cart + wheels); I think the need to disassemble/reassemble could be improved. 

Third, the battery location is in the worst possible spot (bottom of the unit). If I have two batteries, I can't hot swap them easily without disassembling the cart. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 4/4/2023 at 3:42 PM, Golfnfryguy said:

I ended up going with an MGI Z5. It’s not remote controlled. I had a few friends say the remotes are a hassle and distracting. I found the z5 on sale for the same price as the V2. Still another month before I’ll get to trial it.

Is that a typo for X5 or do they have a new model coming out?

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 12:02 PM, RCGA said:

Third, the battery location is in the worst possible spot (bottom of the unit). If I have two batteries, I can't hot swap them easily without disassembling the cart. 

Not true at all. Take bag off. Flip cart sideways. Swap battery. That's the fastest (but not most elegant) way. And it's relatively easy to do. 

Other way is to loosen clamps/wheelie bars while on the ground, then the unit can rotate while on the ground since the clamps are no longer preventing it from rotating. Battery then will be face up. You're not disassambling the whole thing, but just pushing the wheelie bars out of the clamps and lifting the clamp holder up. Not hard. 

Also, not sure, but I think you can run the unit upside down with battery on top. But the power button and lights would then be on the bottom. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Just got the Motocaddy M7 Remote and will be using it this weekend. Replacing a 5 year old M3 Pro.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

On 5/5/2023 at 8:00 AM, dcmidnight said:

Just got the Motocaddy M7 Remote and will be using it this weekend. Replacing a 5 year old M3 Pro.

How was the M7?

I like to carry but also want to have the option of the remote caddy. Had an E-wheels V2 and it was a great unit but the assembly/disassembly was less than ideal for my liking. Want a 1pc unit that folds nicely as I'm also limited on storage space.

5 minutes ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

How was the M7?

I like to carry but also want to have the option of the remote caddy. Had an E-wheels V2 and it was a great unit but the assembly/disassembly was less than ideal for my liking. Want a 1pc unit that folds nicely as I'm also limited on storage space.

... Having used remote carts for almost 28 years now, the M7 was very reliable and when I did have a problem they fixed it without issue. Luckily I lived about 5 miles from their service center in Aurora IL. Great company. But for my money, I would never own a remote cart without a gyroscope. Every one I have owned wanders from side to side going down the fairway and needed corrections. MGI's gyroscope was a game changer and keeps my cart on track so I never have to pay any attention to it til it gets to my ball and I hit stop. I have not looked into other companies to see who has them, but for me at least a gyroscope is a must on any remote cart. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Having used remote carts for almost 28 years now, the M7 was very reliable and when I did have a problem they fixed it without issue. Luckily I lived about 5 miles from their service center in Aurora IL. Great company. But for my money, I would never own a remote cart without a gyroscope. Every one I have owned wanders from side to side going down the fairway and needed corrections. MGI's gyroscope was a game changer and keeps my cart on track so I never have to pay any attention to it til it gets to my ball and I hit stop. I have not looked into other companies to see who has them, but for me at least a gyroscope is a must on any remote cart. 

Appreciate the insights. 

Challenge for me is the MGI is not water resistant and they say you should not use the Cart in the rain as they will not warranty it....Not a problem for those like you that live in the desert but it's an issue for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Appreciate the insights. 

Challenge for me is the MGI is not water resistant and they say you should not use the Cart in the rain as they will not warranty it....Not a problem for those like you that live in the desert but it's an issue for me.

With all due respect, this is not correct.  MGI buggies are water resistant, and using them in the rain does NOT void the warranty.  MGI specifies that a battery that has been IMMERSED should not be connected to a buggy, that you shouldn’t use a pressure washer or hose to clean the cart. But they state clearly on their website that the carts are designed to be use in all conditions.

I’ve had to do two repairs under warranty on my Zip Navigator; they have sent the parts without even asking what happened, much less about water.  Believe me, I’ve used it in the rain many, many times.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bluedot said:

With all due respect, this is not correct.  MGI buggies are water resistant, and using them in the rain does NOT void the warranty.  MGI specifies that a battery that has been IMMERSED should not be connected to a buggy, that you shouldn’t use a pressure washer or hose to clean the cart. But they state clearly on their website that the carts are designed to be use in all conditions.

I’ve had to do two repairs under warranty on my Zip Navigator; they have sent the parts without even asking what happened, much less about water.  Believe me, I’ve used it in the rain many, many times.

Thanks for your insight. All reviews and comparisons I've read mentioned that the MGI shouldn't be used in the rain. 

It also says this on their site: 

• Damage caused by partial or complete ingress of water into motor/gearbox and other major components.

Appreciate your experiences.

1 hour ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Thanks for your insight. All reviews and comparisons I've read mentioned that the MGI shouldn't be used in the rain. 

It also says this on their site: 

• Damage caused by partial or complete ingress of water into motor/gearbox and other major components.

Appreciate your experiences.

I have a zip x1 that I generally don't take out when there's a chance of rain, but was curious about what mgi says regarding wet weather.  This is what I found on their website in the faq section:

MGI buggies are designed to be used in all conditions however a level of caution is required when operating your buggy in wet conditions.

When playing in wet conditions, we recommend carrying a hand towel to wipe away any excessive water from the top box.

• Like 1