2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i210 Fans...Wait for i230s or buy the i525s?

The Frase

I have been a loyal Ping iron user for last 20 years and have had almost every line from the ISIs to my current gamers, the i210s.  Have tried a few other brands and lines over the past few years to scratch an itch and see what I was missing in search of a higher launch and a bit more distance specifically the Srixon ZX7s and most recently the Titleist T100s, and I always come back to the Pings.  It may have to do with the fact that I am a digger with a steep angle of attack and while I may like some of these other irons in the hitting bays and during fittings when the numbers wow me, they simply do not translate to the course.  Probably has to do with the Ping's leading edge and bounce, but regardless, I am done looking elsewhere.  Need to face it, I am a Ping lifer.

My question to you i210 fans, have you tried the i525s on the course as they could be just what I am looking for.  I have hit in nets and they look great and feel solid but have not had the chance to hit them off grass yet.  Not sure if I just pull the trigger or wait for the highly anticipated i230s.  I think I like the look of the i525s more based on initial pictures but worried about lower launch and lower spin as I am already a low ball hitter.  If the i230s are coming soon, I can wait and demo them both at same time, but if the 230s aren't coming until early 2023, I am not sure that I can wait that long.

Any i210 users upgrade to i525s and what has your experience been like?  Or are you waiting for the i230s to see if they can improve upon one of the best models in history?

Thanks in advance.   

Edited by The Frase
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Frase said:

I have been a loyal Ping iron user for last 20 years and have had almost every line from the ISIs to my current gamers, the i210s.  Have tried a few other brands and lines over the past few years to scratch an itch and see what I was missing in search of a higher launch and a bit more distance specifically the Srixon ZX7s and most recently the Titleist T100s, and I always come back to the Pings.  It may have to do with the fact that I am a digger with a steep angle of attack and while I may like some of these other irons in the hitting bays and during fittings when the numbers wow me, they simply do not translate to the course.  Probably has to do with the Ping's leading edge and bounce, but regardless, I am done looking elsewhere.  Need to face it, I am a Ping lifer.

My question to you i210 fans, have you tried the i525s on the course as they could be just what I am looking for.  I have hit in nets and they look great and feel solid but have not had the chance to hit them off grass yet.  Not sure if I just pull the trigger or wait for the highly anticipated i230s.  I think I like the look of the i525s more based on initial pictures but worried about lower launch and lower spin as I am already a low ball hitter.  If the i230s are coming soon, I can wait and demo them both at same time, but if the 230s aren't coming until early 2023, I am not sure that I can wait that long.

Any i210 users upgrade to i525s and what has your experience been like?  Or are you waiting for the i230s to see if they can improve upon one of the best models in history?

Thanks in advance.   

Low spin typically = higher launch due to CG placement.  Worst case, you bend them to retro spec to help with spin.

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Nicoy3k,

Nothing wrong with the i210s, but I have lost some swing speed as I get older so looking for a little more pop.  Need a bit more distance and preferably a higher launch.

No hurry but that is why I am intrigued by the i230s.  If they are not a considerable upgrade, I may go the i525 route.

Thanks.

@The FraseSomething you may want to look into is having your lofts bent a little stronger for more distance. It will not make a huge difference but may help for the meantime. Personally after hitting the i525 and the i210, I would wait until the i230. I210 is such a great iron.

• Like 1

Cobra DARKSPEED LS 10.5°  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Cobra King Tour 5-PW  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Titleist SM8 50° |   LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

I have both and they're different animals so I'm not sure it's necessarily an "upgrade". If ground interaction is the main deciding factor though, I find them to be quite similar.

The i525 (standard spec) are about a club longer than the i210 (power spec) for me.  Part of that could also be due to a lighter shaft (6.0 IO vs. LZ).  The i525 also launch higher than i210 (power spec).  So, if that's what you're looking for, they should fit well. 

As a walker though, the bag chatter on the i525 literally hurts my soul (think chatter with a bag full of shiny hybrids) and I think I'll have some covers on them next time they're in the bag. 

While they go further, I mostly prefer the feel of a well struck i210.  Not to say the i525 feel offensive in any way. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

40 minutes ago, The Frase said:

Nicoy3k,

Nothing wrong with the i210s, but I have lost some swing speed as I get older so looking for a little more pop.  Need a bit more distance and preferably a higher launch.

No hurry but that is why I am intrigued by the i230s.  If they are not a considerable upgrade, I may go the i525 route.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t expect the i230 to have much more pop than i210. Are you power spec right now? Also shafts might make a bigger impact for you. I210 are aweosmen

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Frase said:

@pingfoolI like the way you think.  Considering the fact that I have a $1400 credit for my T100s return, why wouldn't I?  May go to an outdoor fitter just to confirm but like the looks much better than the i230s but just want to confirm turf interaction and spin.  Thanks for the push.

have to confess my i525s were in the bag for just a few months…

fell in to a set of i59s w/ my specs last week and despite losing a full club on the specifications - I’ve hit more GIR in 54 hole honeymoon. 
they are a lot of work but the extra focus is paying off. 

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

On 8/23/2022 at 5:42 PM, The Frase said:

Thanks in advance.   

I'm about a week ahead of you.  I couldn't make my mind up for a while but I ordered the 525s last week.  I figure the absolute worst thing that could happen is I hit the i230s whenever they do come out and love them.  In that case I can take solace in Ping irons holding their value fairly well.  Shouldn't take too big a beating if I want to switch.

There.  Is that another push?  🙂

@leegee38  It sure does.  I got to hit the i525s off grass yesterday in a mini fitting.  Loved the turf interaction...no digging.  Used my trusty 210s for a baseline and while I thought I was hitting them well, I still got much better numbers with the 525s.  Launch went up and ball speed went up significantly, and we are talking about 10-12 yards more carry.  Spin was definitely on the low side but what was interesting was that spin was low on my i210s too so I guess I am just a low spin, low launch player.  

Tried a number of different shafts and the other interesting finding was that the Project X IO 6.0 shafts performed the best.  Supposed to be mid launch and mid spin, but the way I load the shaft with a short back swing and very fast tempo and transition, they were the best fit.  Works for me since no up charge like the SteelFibers.

I see a new order on the horizon.   

Edited by The Frase
  • Like 1

I currently play the 921 forged and like them but I’m always looking for something new. I played the P790s in a rental said it was amazed how much more forgiving they were than the forged. Especially on toe misses.. The I525 certainly look great from an offset and top line perspective even with all the extra grooves. That sole thickness worries me though but I have no real reason as to why. It just looks too chunky for my preferred taste. But then again I’m not looking down at the sole.  I have loved hitting them off of a simulator in store on turf mats but have yet to feel them on grass outside. Really would like to as I’ve really been obsessed with more forgiving clubs like P790s or potentially these. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

30 minutes ago, jecarnl said:

Anyone, IMO, who loves Ping irons would love PXG irons as well. When you look down, you'd swear you are looking at a Ping iron.

I agree with that.  I had i20 before buying gen 1 PXG 0311 P. They are similar for obvious reasons.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

10 hours ago, PINGRebel said:

Seriously, Just keep the i210’s

I’m having mine re-shafted from KBS tour 120 down to 105 and lofts adjusted. Not giving up these heads.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5 (16.5) +1/2”

Ping G425 Max 7

Ping G430 #4h

Ping Blueprint-S 5-W

Vokey SM10 50f, 56d, 60d

TM Spider 3x

On 8/27/2022 at 5:59 PM, jecarnl said:

Anyone, IMO, who loves Ping irons would love PXG irons as well. When you look down, you'd swear you are looking at a Ping iron.

P series PXG is very similar to the irons being discussed here.  High bounce, just like Ping.  A spring face for distance, but less noise, which is something some people complain about with the i525.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I have a sizable credit now at PGA Tour Superstore so PXG not an option.  I can live with the sound of the 525s if the performance is there.  Will not be selling the i210s as my 23 year old is licking his chops for them so they will stay in the family.

Now to decide on the shafts.  Anyone have any experience with the Project X IO shafts?

Edited by The Frase
Typo

On 8/28/2022 at 2:57 AM, The Frase said:

@leegee38  It sure does.  I got to hit the i525s off grass yesterday in a mini fitting.  Loved the turf interaction...no digging.  Used my trusty 210s for a baseline and while I thought I was hitting them well, I still got much better numbers with the 525s.  Launch went up and ball speed went up significantly, and we are talking about 10-12 yards more carry.  Spin was definitely on the low side but what was interesting was that spin was low on my i210s too so I guess I am just a low spin, low launch player.  

Tried a number of different shafts and the other interesting finding was that the Project X IO 6.0 shafts performed the best.  Supposed to be mid launch and mid spin, but the way I load the shaft with a short back swing and very fast tempo and transition, they were the best fit.  Works for me since no up charge like the SteelFibers.

I see a new order on the horizon.   

The i500 had thinner sole width in general and less bounce, causing some turf interaction issues with some people.  The i525 sole design was based on the i210, which is probably why you got along with the turf interaction coming from i210.

If you're a casual player, go with the i525 and enjoy the added distance.  If you're a competitive player, stick with i210/i230 for the tighter distance control.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

@ckguy914

I would say that I am a casual competitive player.   Yes, there will be music playing and beers flowing, and we have a lot of fun, but I will grind and try to beat my friends and break 80 every time I play.  Has not been a very good 2022 as I went from a 4.5 last year to a 9 this year.  Back down to a 7 but still way too many mid 80s rounds for my liking.  I honestly think the increased distances, higher launch, and forgiveness will help the cause, and I will be back on track going into '23.  Would like to get back to under a 5 by the end of the year but that may be a stretch especially if there is a delay in production and build.  Have to get these ordered soon. 

You can't go wrong with 525's.  I'd stay with a shaft in the same weight range as that which you know works for you.  I suggest using a softish ball when using spring face irons, otherwise, the sound and feel may be a distraction.  

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"