2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf in the winter

fattmossett

This is my first year playing golf, so I haven't yet had the chance to play in the cold, but I've noticed the ground is already getting very hard (Oklahoma). For someone around the same area in the country, is playing feasible when it gets really cold? If not, what is the best mode of practice since I dont have a golf sim and the ranges are getting gross too.

Thanks 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ifelloffladder said:

Been to Wisconsin many times during the winter. I don't know how you people play during winter! I wouldn't be able to swing with all the gear on.

you find what works for you, I usually wear a tight long sleeve, a golf shirt, a loose UA long sleeve and a thinner fleece, a hat, long socks and pants and have 2 hand warmers in my pockets to keep balls warm, and switch them every hole, I have thick shurpa gloves that attach to the push cart and am good to go

may favorite hole played was 2 days after christmas 2 years ago, hit a drive with a  TM 580 driver off of the 420 yard first hole, bounced till about 60 yards in, used putter for a straight uphill shot, crested it perfectly onto the green and had 3 feet for birdie. LOL

other times accidently hit it too well in the air just catches the green and have 50 yards coming back after landing on the green,  the rub of the course when it is frozen, makes for fun gambling

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

you find what works for you, I usually wear a tight long sleeve, a golf shirt, a loose UA long sleeve and a thinner fleece, a hat, long socks and pants and have 2 hand warmers in my pockets to keep balls warm, and switch them every hole, I have thick shurpa gloves that attach to the push cart and am good to go

may favorite hole played was 2 days after christmas 2 years ago, hit a drive with a  TM 580 driver off of the 420 yard first hole, bounced till about 60 yards in, used putter for a straight uphill shot, crested it perfectly onto the green and had 3 feet for birdie. LOL

other times accidently hit it too well in the air just catches the green and have 50 yards coming back after landing on the green,  the rub of the course when it is frozen, makes for fun gambling

Gotta give it to you guys. Been ice fishing up there but never thought about winter golfing. Might have to try it out on my next visit.

I'll go out and walk 18 if it's 40 degrees or above, dry, and little-to-no-wind. The little-to-no-wind being key. And get yourself some Under Armour cold layers for underneath. 

• Like 3

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

As long as it is dry I have walked when it was lightly snowing.  Riding I wouldn't want to get out below 45 or so.  And truthfully in the fall and winter I have better things to do than golf most of the time. 

I suspect being in Oklahoma you run into the same issues as we do over this way in the transition zone, your warm season turf is dormant and will become a muddy mess the longer winter goes on.  You'll get a warm day in february or march and get the clubs out (along with everyone else) and the fairways are brown, muddy, divot-filled  quagmires.  Path only today boys.

• Like 2

I'll play all year here in the mid Atlantic.  Absent snow of course.  The key for me is keeping hands warm. I usually wear a hoodie and put my gloves in the pocket to hit,  and put them right back on.  Usually wear a thermal adidas long sleeve,  a golf shirt and a hoodie. Can't swing in any more.  If it's too cold,  I'll wear a coat and take it off every shot.  Also,  walking is much more comfortable than riding. 

As someone who grew up in Chicago, here's my advice for winter golf...

...move somewhere warmer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I'm in PA and will play in pretty much anything over freezing as long as it isn't TOO windy and there isn't snow on the ground.  I love winter golf because you can often have a course practically to yourself.  I don't really try to adjust my shots, so if the ball bounces off a frozen green, so be it.  I'd rather practice the normal shots for when the real golf season starts.  I do walk pretty much exclusively all year, and that certainly helps in cold weather.  Some thermal undergarments help keep you warm.

As for how to practice if you aren't playing, I haven't found anything that works in my basement swing lab that translates well to the course, but maybe get a putting mat and concentrate on getting the ball going on the intended line.  And, of course, you can do some exercises to help get you in shape for the season.

• Like 1

PNW late day frozen heavy dew. Putts ok.  Show this pic to your super. 

icegolf.JPG.dd9b9af27ad5eba5c88e0d61a4e744d2.JPG

Edited by Wooley12
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

I play all winter in the northeast as long as it’s above 30*F. 

got my winter clubs, which include a hybrid I can hit off the deck…. Currently my Mizzuno pro 225… like hollow body iron on the winter.

Because once the ground freezes you can’t stick the tee in. 

they do make some winter tees of different sizes that have a tripod/badminton birdie look that sit up on the ground. 

footjoy winter gloves. 

Under armour cold gear golf pants, or fleece pants.,

underarmour coldgear mock golf shirt.

adiddas frost guard jacket. 

a good winter hat or titelist head band to keep my ears warm. 

Srixion duo balls, so you can see them with all the sun glare. 

my favorite winter golf game with temporary greens is Bingo Bango Bongo. No handicaps required. 

• Like 3

I lived in OKC many years ago.  I can remember that it would get cold but never for more than a few weeks.  Snowstorm one day, below freezing for a week, then 70's for a few days and all in the middle of winter.

I'm now in the PNW and I'll play as long as the rain isn't sideways.  Nothing special for pants but I layer my upper body clothing, use rain gloves to keep both hands warm if it's below 40, and mudders to keep my feet dry and warm.  The coldest I can recall playing in was low 20's but obviously I was temporarily insane at the time.  I'm pretty sure 35* is my retired temp cutoff for playing.

It beats sitting on the couch watching (insert favorite rerun).

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I play year round in here in Maryland. I have no issue playing in any temperature. There is a ton of advice you can get in terms of gear/clothing, but I think the real key is walking. There is no way I could tolerate the cold if I was riding in a cart, unless it was enclosed and heated. I always walk and if I have the right gear and a good pace I never feel cold and can play good golf. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 12:37 PM, Wham49 said:

im in wisconsin and play until there is snow on the ground, I regularly play in the 30's my advise is to use many thin layers and use a "winter" set of clus, an old driver and irons. cause if the ground is frozen you could snap a club, I have only doen so once in the 10 years I have been doin it. USe low comp balls, and play like the hickory guys do, which is to bounce the ball into the greens whenever possible. It is fun, you can hit long drives becasue the ball just keeps bouncing and bouncing

Last year was the first year I played during the winter, only got out a couple of times and only on milder days.  I'd like to play more this winter and didn't think about having "winter clubs".  Is that what most of you guys do?  My teenage son has a box set that's decent so I could use that.  Anyone have any stories of damaging clubs on cold ground?  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

I play year round in here in Maryland. I have no issue playing in any temperature. There is a ton of advice you can get in terms of gear/clothing, but I think the real key is walking. There is no way I could tolerate the cold if I was riding in a cart, unless it was enclosed and heated. I always walk and if I have the right gear and a good pace I never feel cold and can play good golf. 

I agree.. Having the right gear makes winter golf enjoyable for most..

I walk in winter, when the temperature is low..  Wear loose layers to you can remove an item, when you start to sweat..  Loose layers also prevent restrictions on your swing..

My buddies ride.. They have Cart covers and butane heaters.  Butane heaters will last you for about 2 rounds and need a refill..

Benefits of winter golf..  Not many people out there.  Get a descent exercise without sweating like a pig.  you're outside in winter..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, k_rock5 said:

Last year was the first year I played during the winter, only got out a couple of times and only on milder days.  I'd like to play more this winter and didn't think about having "winter clubs".  Is that what most of you guys do?  My teenage son has a box set that's decent so I could use that.  Anyone have any stories of damaging clubs on cold ground?  Thanks!

Most of the time my clubs have always been in my trunk of my car (parked outside)  year round.. Never had any problems.  I would probably think twice, if I had a carbon driver, because I don't know how they would react to temperature change..

2 hours ago, 8602081 said:

Most of the time my clubs have always been in my trunk of my car (parked outside)  year round.. Never had any problems.  I would probably think twice, if I had a carbon driver, because I don't know how they would react to temperature change..

If the are like the composite softball bats probably play better

On 11/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, jordan2240 said:

I'm in PA and will play in pretty much anything over freezing as long as it isn't TOO windy and there isn't snow on the ground.  I love winter golf because you can often have a course practically to yourself.  I don't really try to adjust my shots, so if the ball bounces off a frozen green, so be it.  I'd rather practice the normal shots for when the real golf season starts.  I do walk pretty much exclusively all year, and that certainly helps in cold weather.  Some thermal undergarments help keep you warm.

As for how to practice if you aren't playing, I haven't found anything that works in my basement swing lab that translates well to the course, but maybe get a putting mat and concentrate on getting the ball going on the intended line.  And, of course, you can do some exercises to help get you in shape for the season.

you would be surprised how many times you use the shots the course makes you hit in the winter in the summer, makes you a better shot maker

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert72 said:

The most difficult task is relieving yourself.

If you have on multiple layers, unzipping and getting the old tallywacker out through all those layers can be more challenging than a 5 foot downhill breaking putt.

Plus, there is less foliage in the trees for privacy.

And did I mention cold hands?

Cart gloves and hand warmers inside. They only come off to hit a shot. I wear them walking and yeah it’s an extra thing to do but more times than not my hands would be sweaty after a few holes even in freezing temps. By far the best solution bc you can still wear your normal golf glove inside a cart glove. 

On 11/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, k_rock5 said:

It’s two fold - some hollow or softer clubs with more forgiving shafts make it easier when you catch one thin. 

those can rattle your hand for minutes when it’s freezing out. 

also, there are tons of stories where people have cracked driver faces in extreme cold. The faces are so thin and lost those flexible properties at certain temperatures. Use a driving iron or hybrid / wood…… something less expensive and able to be hit off the deck for when the ground freezes. 

also, the leading edges of some softer forged clubs and faces will get torn up easier. 

then i also play with slightly lighter shafts. I can play x100 in the summer,  they may play stiffer at 30*. Also, there is no range open so you cannot warm up as effectively. You can hurt yourself trying to over swing in the winter. 

A winter set is a must. 

On 11/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, fattmossett said:

This is my first year playing golf, so I haven't yet had the chance to play in the cold, but I've noticed the ground is already getting very hard (Oklahoma). For someone around the same area in the country, is playing feasible when it gets really cold? If not, what is the best mode of practice since I dont have a golf sim and the ranges are getting gross too.

Thanks 

Practice net in your or friend’s garden or garage.

Take a mat to the course if you have to play when conditions are silly. I take the ball to the rough when conditions are like this, using an old set of clubs. 

Particularly, I wouldn’t be using carbon clubheads.

The most important elements of playing winter golf are dressing properly and adapting your game to the conditions. 

Dressing in layers and using cart gloves between shots makes playing in temperatures around the freezing mark a reasonable prospect especially if you walk the course. Get the proper clothing that allows for an unrestricted swing.

You also need to have realistic expectations, the golf ball is not going to travel as far and just move up to an appropriate tee box. If you are concerned about damaging your main set, use some older clubs.

I personally would rather play winter golf than mope about not being able to play golf for five months. Yesterday was a case in point, it was 3-4 degrees C, high 30’s F with little wind. Three of us had a great time. We played a little over 5000 yards which was appropriate for the temperature and two of us were playing vintage clubs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

The most important elements of playing winter golf are dressing properly and adapting your game to the conditions. 

Dressing in layers and using cart gloves between shots makes playing in temperatures around the freezing mark a reasonable prospect especially if you walk the course. Get the proper clothing that allows for an unrestricted swing.

You also need to have realistic expectations, the golf ball is not going to travel as far and just move up to an appropriate tee box. If you are concerned about damaging your main set, use some older clubs.

I personally would rather play winter golf than mope about not being able to play golf for five months. Yesterday was a case in point, it was 3-4 degrees C, high 30’s F with little wind. Three of us had a great time. We played a little over 5000 yards which was appropriate for the temperature and two of us were playing vintage clubs. 

did you swing a set of your hickories?