Takeaway is an absolute mess. Help

Rdailey9108

Definitely think it's time for another lesson, but everything I try my takeaway always looks awful. It causes my sequence to be all over the place. Here's me at shaft parallel.

jiOUNjA.jpg

Hands away from body, shaft too far outside hands. Somehow I can shot low 80s with this garbage swing. I also notice my hips get too active too soon. 

37 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

That's not shaft parallel. Your issue is how active your hips are. At p1 you've already rotated your hips as far as they need to go. I can only imagine how much more your hips rotate from where you are right there. 

Yep huge problem too. No idea how to fix it.

My hips love moving early. I have to feel like  my hands “drag” the rest of my body into position. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125X
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

2 hours ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Definitely think it's time for another lesson, but everything I try my takeaway always looks awful. It causes my sequence to be all over the place. Here's me at shaft parallel.

jiOUNjA.jpg

Hands away from body, shaft too far outside hands. Somehow I can shot low 80s with this garbage swing. I also notice my hips get too active too soon. 

You scoring low 80 has a lot to do with how good equipment has become and your putting. I doubt you'd get the same distance with older irons and driver of those 190cc driver(or persimmons before that) era with that swing.  That is how good equipment is today.

• Confused 1

I have tried so long to make the one piece takeaway work because that's how 99.99% of the golf instruction tells us how it's done.

However, recently after many years of trying different techniques I tried a forward press and now my mechanics are to the point where I am certain I can lower my hc soon.

I had tried the forward press before but only after learning to keep my left wrist really flexible (Manny Torres) and also keep my right hand completely passive on the club (Bobby Jones) did this technique start working. I once tried it back in the 90's based on an article I read in Golf Digest but quit because I couldn't make it work and no one else was teaching it.

BTW, the forward press also sets the legs ready to resist, so this helps the lower body as well.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

4 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Most elite golfers have the sequence in reverse in the backswing because the club has the farthest to travel and the hips the least.  You have zero club head movement there.  You need early club movement and hand movement to get rid of this.  Earlier hinge.

Another victim of the one piece takeaway cliche.

Thanks Monte. 

Should I try to feel like my wrists hinge immediately with very little body movement? Maybe really exaggerate it I'm guessing. I know what I'll be working on at work tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Thanks Monte. 

Should I try to feel like my wrists hinge immediately with very little body movement? Maybe really exaggerate it I'm guessing. I know what I'll be working on at work tomorrow.

Likely yes

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

11 hours ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Thanks Monte. 

I switched to this method 3 years ago as I couldn't do the one piece takeaway. It's working good now though after a lot of trial and error, my advice is to keep the left wrist loose and the left hand in control, ie don't use the right hand to waggle it just sits on the club, and during the takeway the left hand knuckles go down initially so the club stays low to the ground. I had a tendency to pick the club straight up which doesn't always allow the outside of the left arm and hand to line up and load well, thus giving up a lot of "pop" through impact with the hands and arms.

My swing model for the setup and takeaway is John Daly, except my swing is a lot shorter of course. BTW, Daly does a small forward press that may help you set the hands like it does for me.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

4 hours ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Well decided to hit a few while waiting for lunch to be done. Felt so handsy but man the swing looks better already. Thoughts? 

Better

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

On 12/3/2022 at 2:44 PM, Rdailey9108 said:

jiOUNjA.jpg

FWIW, the only thing that fixed my takeaway was doing nothing but placing the club at the 7 o'clock position in the NTC instruction.  I'm not sure if this is in anyway shape or form, correct...but I started think about letting my body react to the correct club position....not using my body to put the club in position.  But, I had serious over rotation issues.  

• 2 weeks later...

Put your right hand on or just above your right knee. Hold club in left hand and swing to roughly arm parallel to ground with club roughly 90 degrees to arm without moving hand from knee. Should improve wrist hinge if you LET IT. Your out of sequence with your wrists and hips. That's kind of the easy part, wait till you start the transition and DS. UGH. If you improve your sequence hit balls with trail arm only then both arms rinse and repeat.

How Dan had me work on wrist hinge was the easiest way I’ve heard of…take a wedge and hit some 40-50 yard shots while keeping the arms nice and wide but getting a full 90* of wrist set. Hands shouldn’t travel much more than waist high. If you think about setting them gradually and still getting 90* of wrist set by hip high, it shouldn’t feel handsy for long. 

I personally thought wrist set was one of the toughest things I’ve ever fixed because it’s so easy to set them correctly but let the right arm fold too much and you end up getting narrow. 

The drill I mentioned makes it very easy. Best part about it is you really can’t overdo it either. I have probably hit 1000 shots like this 😂 hope this helps 

Edited by Kuuuch

So decided to hit some what I felt were waist high shots feeling like my wrists hinged at a 45 degree angle (like AMG mention to do) and I definitely noticed a difference. 

This felt waist high 

SLtPTqs.jpg

Absolutely mind boggling. Guess I'll be sticking to hitting shots like this until this feel is almost a full swing. Basically like the drill that everybody likes from Dan.

• Like 1